Dow?

irvinehomeowner said:
Dang... 16k for a day.

When is this stock bubble going to burst?

Dow down more than 300 today, closed at 15,372.80, down from height of 16588.

So it this the bubble bursting you are referring to?

lnc said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Dang... 16k for a day.

I have no idea. But it has come down quite a bit from that 16.5k height.

So is this going to freefall like in 2008... I doubt it but I'm no stock guy.

irvinehomeowner said:
lnc said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Dang... 16k for a day.

I have no idea. But it has come down quite a bit from that 16.5k height.

So is this going to freefall like in 2008... I doubt it but I'm no stock guy.

morekaos should chime in, doesnt he do this stuff for a living?  my guess it bottoms out at 14,500-14,800 then maybe just goes back and forth from 14,500 to 15,000 until whatever the next catalyst upward is.

This was what I wrote in my January 2, 2014 client letter.  So far so good.

"Now for this year.  As many of you know I have cooled my enthusiasm for equities as the rest of the world piles in late.(as usual)  I am by no means exiting the stock market but I am hedging our positions.  For those of you who have been involved these last 4 years you have built up a substantial cushion to any near term volatility.  For those late to the game get ready for a ride, but in the end it will still be the ?Only game in town?.  Rates will continue their upward trend, probably as much as another full percentage point.  This will cause quite a bit of near term angst.  Precious metals and commodities will trade a range that will mostly trend down.  Housing will probably continue to flounder, buffeted by higher interest rates in the mortgage markets.  The House and Senate will revert to Republican control and thus eliminates the government from doing anything that will impede the economy (net positive).  For the fourth straight year if you sat it out in Money Market (fear) you made .11%, fully taxable (That?s $110.00 on $100,000.00 invested), the Dow Jones would have returned $29,650.00, I?ll take the markets.  Again, I see a very volatile year, mostly up and down but probably trendless.  It is the following year (2015) when things will really take off. I have included last year?s letter bellow it you want to see how things have panned out.  For now, hunker down, protect and be patient. (everyone else is suddenly bullish)  The best is yet to come but it may take a while."

i was going to recommend HLF (herbalife) last night to you guys but fell asleep on the couch before i did.  Ackman came out the other day saying he would deal a "deathblow" to HLF at this mornings presentation and as a result yesterday the stock closed down 11% at about $54.  I was doing some trades on HLF and had 2,000 shares in the low 60s when this bastard announces his presentation and the stock spirals downward.  After hours last night and pre-market this morning i was down about 22K.  He was so adamant that he had great evidence of wrongdoing that he even convinced me not to average down and by some more in the low 50s. I started watching the presentation this morning and it was dud, nothing new, i knew i should have bought some more.  Stock is back at 63.09 as of this post. Made my 22k loss back today and a little pocket change.  That was probably the most entertaining trade ive made.

I thought it was illegal to spout off the way ackman does with subjective evidence at best. the guy takes a huge short position, spouts off on TV, tanks the stock and makes millions, well today he lost those millions but either way, just seems illegal. Fucking SEC.

Iw watched the webcast and I wasn't moved. I don't have an opinion to buy or sell. However, I wouldn't own that stock because it's to volatile. (Moves up and down frequently)

yeah i never hold it long term, typically i buy and sell in the same day. i just got caught in the damn downward spiral so had to hold it until it recovered.

eyephone said:
Iw watched the webcast and I wasn't moved. I don't have an opinion to buy or sell. However, I wouldn't own that stock because it's to volatile. (Moves up and down frequently)

Need a qwerty reference here.

qwerty said:
i was going to recommend HLF (herbalife) last night to you guys but fell asleep on the couch before i did.  Ackman came out the other day saying he would deal a "deathblow" to HLF at this mornings presentation and as a result yesterday the stock closed down 11% at about $54.  I was doing some trades on HLF and had 2,000 shares in the low 60s when this bastard announces his presentation and the stock spirals downward.  After hours last night and pre-market this morning i was down about 22K.  He was so adamant that he had great evidence of wrongdoing that he even convinced me not to average down and by some more in the low 50s. I started watching the presentation this morning and it was dud, nothing new, i knew i should have bought some more.  Stock is back at 63.09 as of this post. Made my 22k loss back today and a little pocket change.  That was probably the most entertaining trade ive made.

I thought it was illegal to spout off the way ackman does with subjective evidence at best. the guy takes a huge short position, spouts off on TV, tanks the stock and makes millions, well today he lost those millions but either way, just seems illegal. Fucking SEC.

I'm a few days behind on this, but saw Tues. headline "Hedge fund manager cries over Herbalife."
Is this at the same time he was saying he had a smoking gun?

yes.  monday he was everywhere saying he had the smoking gun, that what he had was going to be the deathblow to HLF and the stock dropped 11% on monday. tuesday morning at 7am PT he starts is presentation, the presentation ended at 10am PT and by the end of the day the stock was up 25%

At least as far as the Dow in concerned, at just past the halfway mark, we find it up 2.3% as of today.  In January I said, "Again, I see a very volatile year, mostly up and down but probably trendless."  I will stick to that prediction but notice the "media" talks about the markets as if they are up 20-30%.  Not so Joe.

morekaos said:
At least as far as the Dow in concerned, at just past the halfway mark, we find it up 2.3% as of today.  In January I said, "Again, I see a very volatile year, mostly up and down but probably trendless."  I will stick to that prediction but notice the "media" talks about the markets as if they are up 20-30%.  Not so Joe.
Volatility has been down a good bit this year, except for a few short lived mini spikes.  I'll take that all day long. 

Funny you posted that. First post I read after putting in my buy order was this one.  I'm normally an index investor (who supplements with individual stocks that have minimal volatility but nice dividends) but thought this was a nice time to get Apple on a buy and hold. 

Back