College majors for my kids

eyephone said:
Paris said:
Irvine Dream said:
lnc said:
Tuition wise, UCLA is really awesome..
The medical and dental school's tuitions is exactly the same as undergraduate's.  Students pay just a little under $10k a year for their education.  Just think you are getting a top nuch medical degree, 4 year of medical school, for just under $40,000, it felt almost like free compares to those private schools.

What? Medical School Tuition is same as Under grad?  Then why everyone says medical school is very expensive??  Even Ph.Ds take about 3 to 4 years to complete, Masters 1 to 2 year.  Then Medical School only a couple more years and that slight extra cost will be more than worth it.  Something doesn't tally up here

Just saw the updated links, thanks for posting. Wow UCI $30-40k per year in tuition costs alone? For the UCs a decade ago I only paid $10-12k per year.

I went there for undergrad also and yes tuition was very similar to that of my masters. Med school also that price point at the time. That's why public medical schools in Cali are so cut throat competitive because they are relatively so much cheaper and also very good medical schools.

Most medical schools are private and during my time they were $50k to $60k per year tuition alone. So I know docs that if they went to private undergrad, private med school come out easy with a half million dollars of debt  :eek:

This rising school costs really need to be regulated at the education level. I don't understand why tuition suddenly needs to triple within a decade - what is the reasoning for these rising costs by colleges? They do it because they know students will find a way to pay it. They are robbing our students of their future earning potential and govn't isn't doing anything to regulate college price hikes.  It's devastating to our future generations  :-\

So when did you go to school? As you paid only 10k a year.

I wouldn't believe anything Paris says.  She suffers from Brian Williams Syndrome - "conflates" everything.  And to be clear, from the link eyephone provided, UCLA's tuition for undergraduate and medical school is NOT the same.  Medical school tacks on an additional 20k for the "Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition" as shown on the bottom of the table.  The supplement applies not only to UC's medical schools, but also schools of law, business, pharmacy, optometry, etc.

To be fair, I think the professional fees were only  a couple thousand in the late 90s. The tuition gap has definitely closed between state and private since then.

1.  Don't live vicariously through your kids.  Try to find out what your kids are interested in before you browbeat them into what you want.   
2.  If your goal is a professional degree, it can be a benefit to be multifaceted.  Some great doctors have liberal arts backgrounds and some great lawyers have scientific backgrounds.
3.  I think most people who go to Ivy's understand they could have studied elsewhere for less money and make the same as someone who did not go to an Ivy, but I doubt any of them regret having gone to an Ivy. 

bones said:
Ucla's med school admit rate is like 4%. Some may argue it's harder to get into than getting into HYPSM as an undergrad.  For the UC med schools, you do get slight preferential treatment if you went there for undergrad. UCLA takes a decent % of their class from UCLA undergrad. The med program at SF draws from Cal. But like some have said, the end goal of med school apps is just to get into a U.S. med school period.  Where you go for med school isn't a important as some other graduate school required professions.

When choosing a doctor, I think a lot of people consider where that person went for med school.

FYI for the newbs-There are universities that are approved by the California State Medical Board, that not located in the US.http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Applicants/Medical_Schools/Schools_Recognized.aspx

eyephone said:
bones said:
Ucla's med school admit rate is like 4%. Some may argue it's harder to get into than getting into HYPSM as an undergrad.  For the UC med schools, you do get slight preferential treatment if you went there for undergrad. UCLA takes a decent % of their class from UCLA undergrad. The med program at SF draws from Cal. But like some have said, the end goal of med school apps is just to get into a U.S. med school period.  Where you go for med school isn't a important as some other graduate school required professions.

When choosing a doctor, I think a lot of people consider where that person went for med school.

Yes I'm well aware. My OB and my ped went to harvard 8)

If student loans were not guaranteed by the government you would not see the crazy tuition price increases that outpace inflation.

great point. Student loans are difficult to discharge in bankruptcy filings, if not almost impossible. It can be done but you need a sound strategy. For my children I will help them build credit, borrow a lot of money, and then teach them how to strategically default, and live on cash for a while.

qwerty said:
If student loans were not guaranteed by the government you would not see the crazy tuition price increases that outpace inflation.

Here's an article might be helpful.

Major Decisions: What Graduates Earn Over Their Lifetimes

As can be seen in the figure, lifetime earnings vary widely across majors. Over the entire career, the highest-earning majors will earn about two-and-a-half times what the lowest-earning majors will earn, a range from over $2 million for some engineering majors to about $800,000 for early childhood education.
MajorDecisions_figure002.jpg

qwerty said:

"Senior citizens owe approximately $18.2 Billion on student loans debt. The median amount owed by senior citizens jumped from $13,600 to $21,200 over the past decade. According to the GAO, some 36,000 senior citizens in the United States had their Social Security payments garnished in 2013 to pay back student loan debt."

Sourcehttp://www.mainstreet.com/article/s...182-billion-in-student-loan-debt--and-growing

• Speaking of colleges, I read this list recently and thought it might be helpful to post for other future parents of college kids when deciding where to allow them to spend our money, or should I say not spend our money...

Top 10 Most Anti-Semitic Universities of 2014

• Columbia University (New York, NY)
    • Cornell University (Ithaca, NY)
    • George Mason University (Fairfax, VA)
    • Loyola University Chicago (Chicago, IL)
    • Portland State University (Portland, OR)
    • San Diego State University (San Diego, CA)
    • San Francisco State University (San Francisco, CA)
    • Temple University (Philadelphia, PA)
    • University of California Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA)
    • Vassar College (Poughkeepsie, NY)

It's not terribly surprising to see UCLA make the list as the UCs are known for being "liberal".

SoCal said:
  • Speaking of colleges, I read this list recently and thought it might be helpful to post for other future parents of college kids when deciding where to allow them to spend our money, or should I say not spend our money...

Top 10 Most Anti-Semitic Universities of 2014

• Columbia University (New York, NY)
    • Cornell University (Ithaca, NY)
    • George Mason University (Fairfax, VA)
    • Loyola University Chicago (Chicago, IL)
    • Portland State University (Portland, OR)
    • San Diego State University (San Diego, CA)
    • San Francisco State University (San Francisco, CA)
    • Temple University (Philadelphia, PA)
    • University of California Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA)
    • Vassar College (Poughkeepsie, NY)

It's not terribly surprising to see UCLA make the list as the UCs are known for being "liberal".

Since you brought it up. So what are thoughts regarding the University of Oklahoma situation?

I would have thought the east coast schools would be full of Jews. Or does more Jews cause more anti-semitism and that's why they are on the list?

lnc said:
Here's an article might be helpful.

Major Decisions: What Graduates Earn Over Their Lifetimes

As can be seen in the figure, lifetime earnings vary widely across majors. Over the entire career, the highest-earning majors will earn about two-and-a-half times what the lowest-earning majors will earn, a range from over $2 million for some engineering majors to about $800,000 for early childhood education.
MajorDecisions_figure002.jpg

Interesting chart. Sounds about right. Except some of the categories are a bit broad and they also seem to leave a bit out.

For ex: Aerospace Engineer... You can be a rocket scientist working on Guidance and Navigation of Delta Rockets at Boeing. Or you can technically be an Aerospace Engineer even if you only work on, say, a device which is attached to missiles and UAVs at a smaller private company (still a defense contractor, though). I find there is a pretty big difference in pay. Can make much more dinero depending on where you are employed... going outside of an aerospace company. Speaking from personal experience here (the husband has been / is both). Not sure how they would take all those things into account in the chart to come out with something accurate. Not just where you work but the scope of the duties as well. At the end of the day, a title is just a title. A title doesn't pay the bills. But the chart is still probably a good overall indication. 

Back