College majors for my kids

bones said:
qwerty said:
FARMMMMMIE said:
qwerty said:
Ooh bones and Paris going at it. Get the white tshirts ready! I'll bring the water and oil! 

Ps - I do have physical gifts, 37 so not quite rich :-(

you're 37?? old fart!! hahahahaha. 

hey im a young 37 :-(

You're only 37?  For some reason, I picture you as a 45 year old.  Oops! :(

certain parts of me are experienced as a 45 year old :)

The California Court Company said:
I am going to switch to Dr. Najaran for my next appointment. hopefully her patient list is not full.

GH said:
qwerty said:
more dentists need to look like this

0.jpg

funny.. they are our dentist .. let me know if you need referrals  :p

It's actually not so great having an attractive dentist. Remember, this is a person who sees you when your mouth is all contorted, you're wearing a paper bib, and you're drooling all over the place. That's not the way you want to look around an attractive member of the opposite sex. I once went to a dentist who was REALLY good-looking, and I was so self-conscious the whole time. I ended up switching to a more average-looking dentist and I'm much happier. That was literally the reason why I changed dentists...he was just too cute!

traceimage said:
It's actually not so great having an attractive dentist. Remember, this is a person who sees you when your mouth is all contorted, you're wearing a paper bib, and you're drooling all over the place. That's not the way you want to look around an attractive member of the opposite sex. I once went to a dentist who was REALLY good-looking, and I was so self-conscious the whole time. I ended up switching to a more average-looking dentist and I'm much happier. That was literally the reason why I changed dentists...he was just too cute!

OmG. That is too funny. That happened to me when I was delivering my baby! I was looking forward to my female doctor but instead, only the VERY HOT male doctor was on duty. He asked to check my progress and I said, "NO, thank you. I'm fine," which was a complete lie and totally ridiculous. It's not like you can get up and walk away when you're in the last stage of labor although I wish I could have. He has seen parts of me that *I* have never seen!!!

SoCal said:
traceimage said:

OmG. That is too funny. That happened to me when I was delivering my baby! I was looking forward to my female doctor but instead, only the VERY HOT male doctor was on duty. He asked to check my progress and I said, "NO, thank you. I'm fine," which was a complete lie and totally ridiculous. It's not like you can get up and walk away when you're in the last stage of labor although I wish I could have. He has seen parts of me that *I* have never seen!!!

LOL at "no thank you, I'm fine" during labor! You know, they really should not let attractive people do these kinds of healthcare jobs. Good-looking people should just stick to being actors and models and pharmaceutical salespeople!

What years did these people get admitted to med school?  I have very limited experience in this field, but it seems that even mediocre med schools in CA are challenging to get into from what I have been hearing.  I hear a lot of people have to go to the Caribbean or elsewhere.  Anyone else hear this?

Also, to become a general physician or someone who works at Kaiser - is there really that much of an advantage going to Harvard? 

I want to win the lottery one day so I can go back to school and go to HARRRRRRRVARD!  I'd love to be in a room full of truly gifted intelligence and listen to them talk about things I faintly understand.  Well just sitting in various lecture halls would be fun.  Not technically signing up and being forced to do all of the coursework.

james-harvardrep.jpg

Coleman said:
What years did these people get admitted to med school?  I have very limited experience in this field, but it seems that even mediocre med schools in CA are challenging to get into from what I have been hearing.  I hear a lot of people have to go to the Caribbean or elsewhere.  Anyone else hear this?

Also, to become a general physician or someone who works at Kaiser - is there really that much of an advantage going to Harvard? 

I want to win the lottery one day so I can go back to school and go to HARRRRRRRVARD!  I'd love to be in a room full of truly gifted intelligence and listen to them talk about things I faintly understand.  Well just sitting in various lecture halls would be fun.  Not technically signing up and being forced to do all of the coursework.

james-harvardrep.jpg

getting into medical school has always been challenging, this was for admissions between 2000 and 2010 - but each year kids get smarter and the stakes higher. And foreign medical graduates are really having a tough time finding a residency in the united states, esp in the field they like. If you go outside of the United States for medical school you are really limiting your options.

And Ivy Leagues are overrated in my opinion. I got into Yale for my masters and chose to do it at UCLA instead. Looking back I'm so glad I did that because moving to the east coast for those 2 years would have cost me >$100k just in tuition costs, not to mention living expenses, travel etc. With student loan debt sky rocketing, students should look at the big picture. Student loan debt vs where they would like to be career wise.  Because sometimes you end up in the exact same place and in earning potential. Some of my colleagues at work went to Yale and Harvard for medical school and we're all at the same place now (my education costs though, much lower than theirs). If I wanted to do academic medicine, research at UCSF or UCLA, hold a title of professor, publish regularly in NEJM then yes those "name brand" schools would be important.  Other fields might be a different story. For example, If you want to be an i-banker for Goldman then Ivy league would give you the best chance.

Tuition wise, UCLA is really awesome.

The medical and dental school's tuitions is exactly the same as undergraduate's.  Students pay just a little under $10k a year for their education.  Just think you are getting a top nuch medical degree, 4 year of medical school, for just under $40,000, it felt almost like free compares to those private schools. 

lnc said:

The medical and dental school's tuitions is exactly the same as undergraduate's.  Students pay just a little under $10k a year for their education.  Just think you are getting a top nuch medical degree, 4 year of medical school, for just under $40,000, it felt almost like free compares to those private schools.

What? Medical School Tuition is same as Under grad?  Then why everyone says medical school is very expensive??  Even Ph.Ds take about 3 to 4 years to complete, Masters 1 to 2 year.  Then Medical School only a couple more years and that slight extra cost will be more than worth it.  Something doesn't tally up here

Irvine Dream said:
lnc said:

What? Medical School Tuition is same as Under grad?  Then why everyone says medical school is very expensive??  Even Ph.Ds take about 3 to 4 years to complete, Masters 1 to 2 year.  Then Medical School only a couple more years and that slight extra cost will be more than worth it.  Something doesn't tally up here

This is just the case with UC schools.  UCSF and UCLA's medical and dental school charge the exactly the same quarterly fee as the undergraduates. 

Currently the annual fee at UCLA is $11,220 across the board, undergraduate, masters and doctoral all paid the same.  However depends on the study, there are other additional fee attach to different program.  Overall cost for graduate school are more expensive but just the basic tuition is the same as the undergrads.
Graduate and Undergraduate Annual 2014-15 Fee

Irvine Dream said:
lnc said:

The David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California--Los Angeleshttp://www.registrar.ucla.edu/fees/medfee.htm

I don't know the exact tuition but that is for in-state. Private medical schools are much more expensive. There is a shortage of primary care doctors.  Keeping good students in state for medical school increases the likelihood they will stay to practice here.

wrigley said:
I don't know the exact tuition but that is for in-state. Private medical schools are much more expensive. There is a shortage of primary care doctors.  Keeping good students in state for medical school increases the likelihood they will stay to practice here.

I just posted a link.

Irvine Dream said:
lnc said:
Tuition wise, UCLA is really awesome..

Just saw the updated links, thanks for posting. Wow UCI $30-40k per year in tuition costs alone? For the UCs a decade ago I only paid $10-12k per year.

I went there for undergrad also and yes tuition was very similar to that of my masters. Med school also that price point at the time. That's why public medical schools in Cali are so cut throat competitive because they are relatively so much cheaper and also very good medical schools.

Most medical schools are private and during my time they were $50k to $60k per year tuition alone. So I know docs that if they went to private undergrad, private med school come out easy with a half million dollars of debt  :eek:

This rising school costs really need to be regulated at the education level. I don't understand why tuition suddenly needs to triple within a decade - what is the reasoning for these rising costs by colleges? They do it because they know students will find a way to pay it. They are robbing our students of their future earning potential and govn't isn't doing anything to regulate college price hikes.  It's devastating to our future generations  :-\

Paris said:
Irvine Dream said:
lnc said:

I don't know the exact tuition rates for ucla med right now but I do know it's considerably higher now than during my time. I went there for undergrad also and yes tuition was very similar, around $10-12k a year to that of my masters. Med school also that price point at the time. That's why public medical schools in Cali are so cut throat competitive because they are relatively so much cheaper and also very good medical schools.

Most medical schools are private and during my time they were $50k to $60k per year tuition alone. So I know docs that if they went to private undergrad, private med school come out easy with a half million dollars of debt  :eek:

This rising school costs really need to be regulated at the education level. I don't understand why tuition suddenly needs to triple within a decade - what is the reasoning for these rising costs by colleges? They do it because they know students will find a way to pay it. They are robbing our students of their future earning potential and govn't isn't doing anything to regulate college price hikes.  It's devastating to our future generations  :-\

I just posted links. read above

US News Best Medical Schools: Primary Carehttp://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ical-schools/primary-care-rankings?int=991108

US News Best Medical Schools: Pediatricshttp://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...edical-schools/pediatrics-rankings?int=991108

US News Best Medical Schools: Drug and Alcohol Abusehttp://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...chools/drug-alcohol-abuse-rankings?int=990b08

In summary, there are different rankings for specialties. I just listed a few from the US News website. (top right of the web page to see more specialties rankings)http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...aduate-schools/top-medical-schools?int=997808

Paris said:
Irvine Dream said:
lnc said:
Tuition wise, UCLA is really awesome..

Just saw the updated links, thanks for posting. Wow UCI $30-40k per year in tuition costs alone? For the UCs a decade ago I only paid $10-12k per year.

I went there for undergrad also and yes tuition was very similar to that of my masters. Med school also that price point at the time. That's why public medical schools in Cali are so cut throat competitive because they are relatively so much cheaper and also very good medical schools.

So when did you go to school? As you paid only 10k a year.

Ucla's med school admit rate is like 4%. Some may argue it's harder to get into than getting into HYPSM as an undergrad.  For the UC med schools, you do get slight preferential treatment if you went there for undergrad. UCLA takes a decent % of their class from UCLA undergrad. The med program at SF draws from Cal. But like some have said, the end goal of med school apps is just to get into a U.S. med school period.  Where you go for med school isn't a important as some other graduate school required professions.

bones said:
Ucla's med school admit rate is like 4%. Some may argue it's harder to get into than getting into HYPSM as an undergrad.  For the UC med schools, you do get slight preferential treatment if you went there for undergrad. UCLA takes a decent % of their class from UCLA undergrad. The med program at SF draws from Cal. But like some have said, the end goal of med school apps is just to get into a U.S. med school period.  Where you go for med school isn't a important as some other graduate school required professions.

Correct. But where does help to get into a good residency in addition to your USMLE scores (mainly step 1, and also considered is step2). Ultimately I would argue that for a medical professional's career it's more important where you go for residency training. It's where you get your research opportunities for publications, where you can make all those important connections esp if you want additional fellowship or sub specialty training.

My time at ucla was about a decade ago but I started there end of 90s. My first few years definitely cheaper tuition than the tail end. I think I was paying closer to $12k a year.

Back