College majors for my kids

eyephone said:
Enough with I had a friend stories. If it wasn't YOU, don't talk about it.

What does that matter, it's a personal friend. The whole point is that you do not have to be a science major (IVy league or not) to complete premed courses, take the MCAT and gain admission into medical school. And certain majors are easier to get into than others - chemistry vs anthropologie

YOU may not find that information useful but there are some here that would

Paris said:
eyephone said:

What does that matter, it's a personal friend. The whole point is that you do not have to be a science major (IVy league or not) to complete premed courses, take the MCAT and gain admission into medical school. And certain majors are easier to get into than others - chemistry vs anthropologie

YOU may not find that information useful but there are some here that would

Yeah - so should I start my speech about in state universities?

eyephone said:

If we can only talk about our personal experiences then how do we learn from experience from others or something we have researched (or how do we propagate rumors and keeps this forum interesting?)

Any way, based on discussions with a pre-med student in a top 20 University, current prevalent thought seems to be "don't do a difficult science major if you want to get in to a good medical school".  The GPA seems to play a significant role (difficult to get a high GPA in science majors) and some schools (including "Brown" ) seems to be actively looking to admit non-science majors to their medical program.

Irvine Dream said:
eyephone said:

If we can only talk about our personal experiences then how do we learn from experience from others or something we have researched (or how do we propagate rumors and keeps this forum interesting?)

Any way, based on discussions with a pre-med student in a top 20 University, current prevalent thought seems to be "don't do a difficult science major if you want to get in to a good medical school".  The GPA seems to play a significant role (difficult to get a high GPA in science majors) and some schools (including "Brown" ) seems to be actively looking to admit non-science majors to their medical program.

Yea sure. You can major in whatever you want and apply to med school as long as you fulfill the science requirements. But let's not use the examples of "I majored in anthropology at Yale and got into harvard med" as the example. Try doing that at uc Merced or cal state Fullerton.

bones said:
Irvine Dream said:
eyephone said:

Yea sure. You can major in whatever you want and apply to med school as long as you fulfill the science requirements. But let's not use the examples of "I majored in anthropology at Yale and got into harvard med" as the example. Try doing that at uc Merced or cal state Fullerton.

Bones it does not matter. Sure Ivy league has it's own advantages in any field. But medical school is very strategic, it's based on GPA, MCAT, interview, research and then whatever extracurriculars. GPA and MCAT weed you out for interview. Yes Calstate Fullerton is different from Stanford but a 3.0 GPA at stanford w/ 28MCAT vs a 3.9 GPA with 36MCAT at cal state fulleton - you bet they will take the cal state fullerton student. I speak from personal experience here because I went to medical school, I know all about that process.

Paris said:
Bones it does not matter. Sure Ivy league has it's own advantages in any field. But medical school is very strategic, it's based on GPA, MCAT, interview, research and then whatever extracurriculars. GPA and MCAT weed you out for interview. Yes Calstate Fullerton is different from Stanford but a 3.0 GPA at stanford w/ 28MCAT vs a 3.9 GPA with 36MCAT at cal state fulleton - you bet they will take the cal state fullerton student. I speak from personal experience here because I went to medical school, I know all about that process.

You basically just proved my point with your 2nd sentence.  I'm not disagreeing with your overall "you don't need a science major to get into med school" philosophy.  All I'm saying is let's not use the Ivy leaguer as the example of how to do it.  If my kid was a student at CSUF looking to go into medicine, I certainly wouldn't point to Paris' friend who majored at anthropology at Yale and got into Harvard Med as the model to follow.  Sure, lots of other factors and I know med schools actively target non-science majors, but for example, how can a CSUF student get the important research opportunities if he/she isn't even in the major.  He/she may but it's just an uphill battle to climb from the start.

As for your Stanford/CSUF example, well they're two different students so I'm not sure how to even comment.  But I'm pretty sure if the stats are 3.9 GPA/36 MCAT/Anthro major for both the Stanford student and the CSUF student, the Stanford student will def get more med school accepts at higher ranked schools.

bones said:
Paris said:

You basically just proved my point with your 2nd sentence.  I'm not disagreeing with your overall "you don't need a science major to get into med school" philosophy.  All I'm saying is let's not use the Ivy leaguer as the example of how to do it.  If my kid was a student at CSUF looking to go into medicine, I certainly wouldn't point to Paris' friend who majored at anthropology at Yale and got into Harvard Med as the model to follow.  Sure, lots of other factors and I know med schools actively target non-science majors, but for example, how can a CSUF student get the important research opportunities if he/she isn't even in the major.  He/she may but it's just an uphill battle to climb from the start.

As for your Stanford/CSUF example, well they're two different students so I'm not sure how to even comment.  But I'm pretty sure if the stats are 3.9 GPA/36 MCAT/Anthro major for both the Stanford student and the CSUF student, the Stanford student will def get more med school accepts at higher ranked schools.

Many stuents are very discouraged if they don't get into a top school for undergrad but you don't need that type of stringent path. Several of my physician colleagues come from all types of different paths from harvard, yale to small art colleges and they all ended up at the same place - practicing as physicians. It is a myth to think that if you aren't at a top tier school or "science" major you cannot get into medical school. And I also had some med school colleagues that chose medicine as a second career and still got into medical school.

And most universities absolutely have research opportunities. My cousin is a pHD at Cal state Fulelrton, trained at Cornell for her pHD and doing some amazing research there. And she's got research assistants interested in her field of science and no she does not only take "science" majors to do research with her. Any students interested in premed (despite their major) would be taking her Ochem classes and would have equal opportunity to be a part of her research.

Of course IV leagues and amazing GPAs and MCATs will hit the ball out of the park - that is relevant for any major within those colleges. But for the average person - it is absolutely possible and has been done countless times.

And BTW being a part of the medical school admissions commitee we don't always look just at GPA/ MCAT - like I said it's a weeding out process but if you can't interview well or don't have "real world" experience beyond just "research" you are not going to cut it. The average medical school gets 7,000-10,000 applications every year for just about 100-125 spots. 

Paris said:
bones said:
Paris said:

Many stuents are very discouraged if they don't get into a top school for undergrad but you don't need that type of stringent path. Several of my physician colleagues come from all types of different paths from harvard, yale to small art colleges and they all ended up at the same place - practicing as physicians. It is a myth to think that if you aren't at a top tier school or "science" major you cannot get into medical school. And I also had some med school colleagues that chose medicine as a second career and still got into medical school.

And most universities absolutely have research opportunities. My cousin is a pHD at Cal state Fulelrton, trained at Cornell for her pHD and doing some amazing research there. And she's got research assistants interested in her field of science and no she does not only take "science" majors to do research with her. Any students interested in premed (despite their major) would be taking her Ochem classes and would have equal opportunity to be a part of her research.

Of course IV leagues and amazing GPAs and MCATs will hit the ball out of the park - that is relevant for any major within those colleges. But for the average person - it is absolutely possible and has been done countless times.

And BTW being a part of the medical school admissions commitee we don't always look just at GPA/ MCAT - like I said it's a weeding out process but if you can't interview well or don't have "real world" experience beyond just "research" you are not going to cut it. The average medical school gets 7,000-10,000 applications every year for just about 100-125 spots. 

Im not sure how to respond to this bc I don't think we are talking about the same thing anymore. I don't think anyone is disputing you can become a dr from ANY college. And as for the mcat/GPA thing, you brought it up so I was just responding to it.  I mentioned in my previous post that I wasn't sure what to make of that comparison

I guess I'll just wait for the TI member to tell us they themselves or they know "someone" who majored in anthropology at a CSUF-like school and got into harvard med. Maybe it's that guy who wanted to buy 4 homes in hidden canyon or the doctor at 178 Harrison :)

Paris said:
And BTW being a part of the medical school admissions commitee we don't always look just

My, My.  Who knew.  Paris is a Doctor.  Vow, this forum is filled with smart, successful people.  Bones went to Harvard.  Frammie is super smart, went to Berkeley? and rich now.  Qwerty, in addition to his physical giftness is also rich. 

bones said:
Paris said:
I had a friend who was an anthropologie major at Yale, did all her premed requirement AS an anthropologie major and got into pretty much every medical school she applied to - Yale, Harvard, Hopkins, Princeton. You do not have to limit yourself to the "science" majors.

The key part of the story here is that she went to Yale.  Harder to do that at non-top schools.

eyephone said:

No, the key part of the story here is that Paris is full of shit.  Since she went to medical school, she should very well know that Princeton doesn't have one.  The problem with Paris is that she constantly makes things up.  She then defends these delusions ad nauseum (i.e. nothing cheaper than Capella will ever be built in the Groves, I didn't cut anyone off, I'm a just a victim of road rage, my marine husband will hunt you down and shoot you, etc).

As eyephone said, enough of these hearsay stories.  It's like the game of telephone... the story always changes with each reiteration.

qwerty said:
more dentists need to look like this

0.jpg

funny.. they are our dentist .. let me know if you need referrals  :p

Ooh bones and Paris going at it. Get the white tshirts ready! I'll bring the water and oil! 

Ps - I do have physical gifts, 37 so not quite rich :-(

The California Court Company said:
I am going to switch to Dr. Najaran for my next appointment. hopefully her patient list is not full.
What good will it do if you can't have it?  You Enjoy torture?

Irvine Dream said:
The California Court Company said:
I am going to switch to Dr. Najaran for my next appointment. hopefully her patient list is not full.
What good will it do if you can't have it?  You Enjoy torture?

Everyone has a price :)

qwerty said:
Ooh bones and Paris going at it. Get the white tshirts ready! I'll bring the water and oil! 

you're 37?? old fart!! hahahahaha. 

FARMMMMMIE said:
qwerty said:

hey im a young 37 :-(

qwerty said:
FARMMMMMIE said:
qwerty said:

hey im a young 37 :-(

You're only 37?  For some reason, I picture you as a 45 year old.  Oops! :(

Back