Asians now are the largest group in Irvine

He grew up in shipping containers in hong kong before it was demolished.  He wrote about it in 2009.  I'm not gonna dig.

BangBros said:
secondly, the problem it seems to me is that the white folks do not know how to discern between a Mainlander, a Taiwanese, a Hong Kong Chinese, or even a ABC twinkie.  So when mainlanders behave badly, white people will group them all together into what Hillary would call a basket of deplorables.  Unless of course you get those white folks who have visited Asian countries and atleast studied the culture a bit, then they would discern the dialects and automatically know if they were rude mainlanders or a bit more behaved Shanghai-nese/Taiwanese.

Only the working class whites have any trouble discerning mainlanders and FOB from ABC/HK/TW etc.  The educated, who are most of the Ivinites, and hiring managers/partners/etc have no trouble seeing bad behavior, whether from FOB or white/latino/black working class.

With all due respect to IHS and the long history of China Mainlander that describes, I do see there resentments toward Mainlander from IHS. I have lived next them for 2 years and as far as I can tell, those that living next to me I have NOT seen or hear anything negative that I have to write about. Perhaps, they are secluded and keeps to themselves. I am not here to defend them, I can only state what I see.

I assume that they are probably in a different class of Mainlander. I wouldn't want to group them in all the same category as "If you are China Mainlander, you then possesses all these bad traits".

irvinehomeshopper said:
Since 1949 the Party wiped out thousand years of culture, wisdom, knowledge, progress, arts, literature, intellect, loyalty, trust, and moral. The cultural revolution of 1966 destroyed all physical remnants once a sophisticated civilization.
From a superficial perspective, it appears that the PRC is now once again promoting and appreciating traditional Chinese culture. But it is all just a hoax.
For example, you can go to the Shaolin Temple today and see monks practicing their kung fu. However, those monks are all fake; they are Communist government employees dressed in monk costumes to fleece western tourists out of their $$$. The real Shaolin monks were all eliminated in the Cultural Revolution and the temple fell into ruins. The "abbot" of the temple is now a Communist party official. Today, the Shaolin Temple, like many other Chinese historical sites, have been hastily restored and stocked with paid actors pretending to have appreciation for Chinese culture and religion.

As an Asian born American (ABC) and parents are from taiwan and I've seen the horror stories from mainland china first hand.  Note: there are definitely lots of mainlanders that are good people and many just stay within their homes all day and you won't even notice they are there.

However, the rest are terrible and it has to do with the arrogance that comes with having money.  I'm sure some of you guys here have nice paying jobs but most of you I assume have mortgages.  These mainlanders don't need mortgages, they have millions and millions in cash in the bank.  They are mostly associated closely with higher ups in the government there or doing business in the export import.  When I visited Beijing and shanghai, I saw it all. People pissing and spitting in the streets.  People throwing money at workers in high end stores and I believe they bring that attitude over.  Take a day in South coast plaza and you'll see what I mean.  I heard from a sales office within Irvine Company that a FCB bought a row of houses (essentially a row of Petaluma or similar) all cash.  It's insane.  They pretty much think everyone should bow down to them and they don't believe in waiting in lines. 

Their children that they bring to the United States share most of the same behavior.  I went to UCI and I saw those kids drive Ferraris to school lol...but it seems we welcome them.  Union pay (their form of payment) is stamped right front of almost every south coast store telling those folks "COme on in"  We also tell them "invest in America" and we will give you citizenship "referring to when las vegas was giving citizenship if you bought enough homes there or brought over your business" so you will keep seeing them pop up because let's be honest, they have the money and everyone wants it.  The behavior we'll just have to accept as part of the package...

We sold our Irvine house to someone like that (except they did get a mortgage). It was an awful experience I wish on no one.

He kept making offers (starting with ridiculous low ball offers) and came in with threats like, "I'll just buy the one next door for $250K less than yours and you will NEVER EVER see even $1.8 Million for your place. You'll have to beg to sell to anyone. Only Chinese can buy, stock market bad, no Chinese can get money out of China, lucky you even got my offer, blah, blah, blah.

Luckily we had multiple offers so we could play that against him and he liked our house and not the one next door.

Our realtor said he wants "deal" and I said "it's already a deal, priced $50K under the last sale which was against a road and no upgrades and a T intersection which sold a couple months earlier. Finally I got majorly PO'd and raised the price and said NOW he's got a deal!

He finally came up, we took his offer of $20K less with no other counters and oh no............. that wasn't his REAL offer which included a $10K deposit (fully refundable of course on a $2 million home), contingencies up the wazoo which basically let him walk for no reason up till closing, long escrow instead of his promised short escrow (which is why we took his offer and not the competing offer), on and on.

We had to send demand letters for him to keep his end up several times, had to give him cash off the price for stupid crap like one shutter was cracked on one slat which was fully disclosed and were pretty sure he'd try some further "blackmail" to get it closed till we did close.

He didn't move in for a few months and then said he wanted to return the home and would sue us because a toilet backed up if we didn't take it back. LOL!!!!!

Unfortunately for him we pointed out we already moved and the bank wasn't giving us a loan for his house since we already owned this one and in THIS country we don't just change our minds and give the house back after escrow closes and he was free to check out the cost to sue us over a non issue which could be fixed by any plumber since there was no plumbing issue in that house the entire time we owned it and maybe they should learn to operate toilets in THIS country.

Amazingly arrogant and threatening and we never even met the guy and it wasn't even a cash offer.

Ready2Downsize said:
We sold our Irvine house to someone like that (except they did get a mortgage). It was an awful experience I wish on no one.

He kept making offers (starting with ridiculous low ball offers) and came in with threats like, "I'll just buy the one next door for $250K less than yours and you will NEVER EVER see even $1.8 Million for your place. You'll have to beg to sell to anyone. Only Chinese can buy, stock market bad, no Chinese can get money out of China, lucky you even got my offer, blah, blah, blah.

Luckily we had multiple offers so we could play that against him and he liked our house and not the one next door.

Our realtor said he wants "deal" and I said "it's already a deal, priced $50K under the last sale which was against a road and no upgrades and a T intersection which sold a couple months earlier. Finally I got majorly PO'd and raised the price and said NOW he's got a deal!

He finally came up, we took his offer of $20K less with no other counters and oh no............. that wasn't his REAL offer which included a $10K deposit (fully refundable of course on a $2 million home), contingencies up the wazoo which basically let him walk for no reason up till closing, long escrow instead of his promised short escrow (which is why we took his offer and not the competing offer), on and on.

We had to send demand letters for him to keep his end up several times, had to give him cash off the price for stupid crap like one shutter was cracked on one slat which was fully disclosed and were pretty sure he'd try some further "blackmail" to get it closed till we did close.

He didn't move in for a few months and then said he wanted to return the home and would sue us because a toilet backed up if we didn't take it back. LOL!!!!!

Unfortunately for him we pointed out we already moved and the bank wasn't giving us a loan for his house since we already owned this one and in THIS country we don't just change our minds and give the house back after escrow closes and he was free to check out the cost to sue us over a non issue which could be fixed by any plumber since there was no plumbing issue in that house the entire time we owned it and maybe they should learn to operate toilets in THIS country.

Amazingly arrogant and threatening and we never even met the guy and it wasn't even a cash offer.

I dealt with a few annoying FCB buyers as the listing agent.  It was funny how their agents would say that their offer was the best because it was all cash when I had multiple offers on the home that were higher.  Their agents are so timid and you could tell that they are almost scared of their buyers.  One of those buyers did end up buying one of my listing and the process was annoying...them dragging their feet on the EMD, repairs items that weren't even repairs, etc.  Guess money can't buy you class.

Their agent made things worse. Our realtor wasn't sure if it was their agent (who spoke for them on numerous occasions without letting them know our response) or if it was the buyer but we suspected both.

The last we heard was from their agent saying, "I'm trying to convince them to ONLY sue for the toilet and not taking the house back).

I think their agent might be a part time agent because when I googled him, his pix came up as both a realtor and software engineer for a gaming company.

The other offer just either couldn't or wouldn't come up (I think probably couldn't). They LOVED the house even though I considered it "dated". They were Indian who lived in Northwood Pointe as long as we did but in a smaller home. They had just redone it to include the same marble floors we had, same cabinets, etc.

If I could pick a buyer, I would have loved to see our house go to them because they seemed as if it really was a good fit but unfortunately money spoke too loud.

@R2D:

So if you had other offers, why did you go with the troublesome one? Or was his the highest?

When we sold our house, it was a local loan buyer vs an overseas all-cash one, but the overseas one had these contingencies of moving the money to the US so we just took the local one.

Another one we sold, it was an FCB (I think 40% down) and they also had their money in a foreign account. But they were great, no huge demands on the walk-through, funded and closed early, and rented back to us (and even wanted to extend the rent-back... had we known, it would have made buying the next house easier). I think they ended up just renting it out rather than living in it (I think that was their plan all along).

It was the highest (AND he provided a letter from his bank saying he could close in 3 weeks and wanted a quick close).

The other one that we considered was not able or wouldn't go higher, had a letter saying he was qualified to his offer price so I honestly think they couldn't go higher.

We THOUGHT we accepted their legitimate offer and terms with no counter and that was the final round of negotiations so we were kind and let the other buyer's agent know we accepted this one and they moved on.

But THEN came the real fireworks............. long escrow because they don't have loan approval (and then after they were supposed to have it according to their contingency dates they decided to get a different bank and required new loan approval).

By then it's end of October, not a good time to find another buyer and our house was a mess with packing boxes everywhere.

Our biggest bargaining chip was that we never signed papers other than reservation with Stan Pac until 3 weeks before we closed (when they moved their final money over so we knew it was a done deal) and could get back every penny and I was living in a house that I still liked and was willing to stay and remodel if need be, so I could fight back against his no one can afford your place but me attitude.

We rented back between the two escrows closing.

Stan Pac must have thought we were nuts, not signing and then signing and insisting on moving in a hurry (cuz the buyer of our house wasn't moving here for months anyway refused to rent back a minute longer than what was stated in escrow).

Ready2Downsize said:
If I could pick a buyer, I would have loved to see our house go to them because they seemed as if it really was a good fit but unfortunately money spoke too loud.

yes, therein lies the crux. Money talks. You make it sound like you didn't have a choice, whereas in fact, you did have a choice of buyer, and you decided to go with the one that would give you the highest price.

R2D, if you had to do it over again, would you sell to the local Indian family from Northwood Pointe, even though for a lower price, or would you still put up with that annoying FCB buyer, who was the one who came closest to your asking price?

Even as people complain about rich FCB mainlanders moving in, (myself included), you can thank your neighbors for selling out to the highest bidder. (obviously, this only applies to re-sales), which in this case happens to be the foreign national willing to overpay.

I also think that some of the  bed behaviors from mainlander FCBs moving in, not caring to assimilate and having an attitude of condescension and  superiority due to their money would apply to super rich expats from other countries as well--Saudi oil barons and their families, in LA Beverly Hills, New York, and London come to mind.  In many parts of the developing world, the super rich are able to treat the underclass like dirt and get away with it, and they bring that attitude with them. Look at the news stories about rich foreign nationals in the US keeping "slaves" from their home countries as domestic laborers n their homes when they come to the U.S.

Happiness said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Since 1949 the Party wiped out thousand years of culture, wisdom, knowledge, progress, arts, literature, intellect, loyalty, trust, and moral. The cultural revolution of 1966 destroyed all physical remnants once a sophisticated civilization.
From a superficial perspective, it appears that the PRC is now once again promoting and appreciating traditional Chinese culture. But it is all just a hoax.
For example, you can go to the Shaolin Temple today and see monks practicing their kung fu. However, those monks are all fake; they are Communist government employees dressed in monk costumes to fleece western tourists out of their $$$. The real Shaolin monks were all eliminated in the Cultural Revolution and the temple fell into ruins. The "abbot" of the temple is now a Communist party official. Today, the Shaolin Temple, like many other Chinese historical sites, have been hastily restored and stocked with paid actors pretending to have appreciation for Chinese culture and religion.

Shaolin Monastery was put to the torch by Shi Yousan (???) on orders from Feng Yu Hsiang (???) in March 1928.  Feng was a christian convert warlord who ravaged Buddhist and Taoist Temples across Northern China in 1920s.

The Abbot of Shaolin Monastery was Miao Sheng (??/???) who sided with warlord Wu Pei Fu (???) and given the rank of Regimental Commander.  He claimed that he joined Marshall Wu to secure the safety of the Monastery, but doing so made enemies of everyone on the opposing side (warlord Feng Yu Hsiang)

Abbot Miao Sheng was killed in battle in March 1927, but his enemies did not forget or forgive him.  A year later in March 1928, Warlord Feng Yu Hsiang's forces arrived and some 200 Monks from Shaolin Monastery were killed defending the area.  Afterwards Shi Yousan went to the Monastery complex and torched its temples, residences, and library over the next 40 days.

A small part of the Monastery was rebuilt, but by the time that the red guards arrived in 1966-1976 it was but a fragmented shadow of its former self.

Back