Apple Watch... March 9 Announcement?

Apple watch...drool....  Pass on the $10k,  I'll probably do this:

5E7A06E6-F450-467C-B39E-491E4C68C8D3_zpsxlekvfn8.png

At first I thought they wouldn't sell any watches, but considering I buy my wife a watch every couple of years for a gift, I might just buy her an Apple watch this year. It's a lot cheaper than some of the other watches I've bought her...

Actually the watch start to grow on me especially with different case and wrist strap but the 18hr battery life is kind of short for a digital watch.

lnc said:
Actually the watch start to grow on me especially with different case and wrist strap but the 18hr battery life is kind of short for a digital watch.

Yea but you're not going to wear a watch to bed. Just charge it like you probably charge your phone overnight. I don't think 18 hours is ideal but not a dealbreaker.

paperboyNC said:
At first I thought they wouldn't sell any watches, but considering I buy my wife a watch every couple of years for a gift, I might just buy her an Apple watch this year. It's a lot cheaper than some of the other watches I've bought her...

Yup. $350-$600 is not that much $ for a watch. Any watch. The only thing though for the apple watch is I probably need to replace it every 2-3 years just like all my apple products (iPhone/iPad).

bones said:
paperboyNC said:

Yup. $350-$600 is not that much $ for a watch. Any watch. The only thing though for the apple watch is I probably need to replace it every 2-3 years just like all my apple products (iPhone/iPad).

So if you buy the $10,000 watch can you replace the internals and keep all of the gold or is it another $10,000 every year?

It's the pioneers who take the arrows. Wait for v 2.0. Anyone who purchased the first iPhone can remember well what that was like. Nice, shiny, but if you needed to place a phone call, good luck. The iPhone 3g was a big step up compared to the first version. Apple Lisa anyone?

I'm curious about battery heat. Almost all rechargable batteries get really warm at some point during their life cycle. After X number of charges, one might have an issue wearing it due to how hot it is on the wrist. If you commit to a days worth of heavy use, iWatch has got a 3 hr battery life so I'd imagine it would heat up quite a bit.

My .02c
Soylent Green Is People

I agree with SGIP. I'll wait for the Apple Watch 2 -- faster, thinner,  better health features, and  hopefully better battery life.

If you have a BMW i3, there's going to be a free BMW i remote watch app that allow owner to performing functions like pre-conditioning the car and battery, locking the doors, flashing the headlights, honking the horn, setting pre-defined departure times, finding nearby charging stations and tracks your car on a map.

In the future, this app will likely expand to other BMW models.

apple-watch-bmw-i31-740x425.jpg

From a (respected) watch guy:

The overall level of design in the Apple Watch simply blows away anything ? digital or analog ? in the watch space at $350. There is nothing that comes close to the fluidity, attention to detail, or simple build quality found on the Apple Watch in this price bracket. The Sistem51, for example, is a very cool, inexpensive mechanical watch. But it feels like it costs $150 (for the record, I bought one and adore it). Then, for closer to the price of the Apple Watch, you could own this, which is, well, downright horrific in just about every conceivable metric. Seiko does offer some nice things at $349 or less, but again, they feel like they cost exactly what they do. The Apple Watch feels like a lot of thought went into it, and no doubt it did. It feels expensive.

Full review here:http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review
It is from 6 months ago so not sure if everything still applies.  But he spooges over the straps, design, etc.  Again, purely from a watch perspective.  Nothing about apps, features, what it can and cannot do.  This is basically my point about why I think the watch will actually do well.  I look at it as a watch first, and then a gadget second.  All the extras (like the SPG app, the BMW app, travel apps, communication, etc) are just a bonus. 

Being a 99%er, spending more than $50-100 on a watch (even if it has a laser) is tough.

No watch I've ever worn has survived over 6 months on my wrist. It will get dinged up to heck and I'll be so worried about it, I'll never wear it... or even worse, put a case on it (it will look like one of those Casio G-Shocks with a gigantic Nerf bezel).

I think the concept is cool... like being able to see text messages without having to take my phone out of my pocket (or being able to screen calls)... but that would mean I would have to learn to be less Neanderthal and that won't happen (Evolution has seemed to bypass me).

What would be cool is if there was a smartwatch that could pair with 2 phones, so I could manage my iPhone and my Android phone from one device.

reasons why Apple Watch will be more like Apple TV, than iphone:

1. phone is much more essential. every one has a cellular phone or two, but not every one wears watches.
2. phone is heavily subsidized by carriers.
3. smart phone enables people to carry less items; like replacing regular watches, Apple Pay replacing credit cards, point and shoot cameras are dying...etc
4. Apple Watch, at best will be an iphone accessory or a fashion statement. Without iphone it is no different than a regular watch.
5. Don't compare Apple Watch to traditional, finely made mechanical watches. These watches are more timeless. Apple Watch is bounded by the short life span of its battery and ICs and iOS versions.
6. Nothing on the watch that cannot be achieved with your regular smart phone, with the exception of heart rate and movement monitor. but those features can be had with much cheaper and simpler devices.

Apple's success is to sell high margin goods to the masses. Apple Watch will have the profit margin, but I am not sure about the volume.

The California Court Company said:
6. Nothing on the watch that cannot be achieved with your regular smart phone, with the exception of heart rate and movement monitor. but those features can be had with much cheaper and simpler devices.
The aWatch doesn't even have a heart rate monitor.

As for movement, most phones support that, the iPhone 5 and up supports walking tracking and the iPhone 6 models have an altimeter so that you can even track stairs and hikes.

I agree that it won't sell like a phone.

I don't think anyone thinks the watch is going to outsell the iPhone or come remotely close.  I probably won't even wear mine daily so its def not a must have item like a phone.  But it won't be a complete dud like some think. It's already created more buzz than Apple TV ever did. Now will that translate into more sales and how much more is definitely debatable.

Back