Any tips lowering electrical bills

We have SCE, and that was when we first moved here and didn't know about the discount they give you on having the box on the ac. We had them, but didn't realize it had to be activated. Now that I think of it that may have also been the same time we started using an old fridge in the garage for storing my husband's beer - and he thinks it makes little impact on our bills.

Our past 2 bills were around $150, and each month included around a $70 discount for the a/c cycling, and $5 for the Save Power days discount. With having the Nest thermostat, we signed up for the discount where we allow the nest to pre-cool the house before one of the Save Power days events, but I'm not sure where that comes in. Most times I had the upstairs set at 83 or 85.

With the heat waves we've been having, I've been giving in and running the air more, and setting it at lower temperatures to combat the heat of the sun through the windows. I have 16 days remaining on my bill. According to SCE, my bill "to date" is $129. My projected next bill, based on the average daily usage, is $334.

Anyone else having issues with the SCE?  Supposed to get a bill last week but just logged in and apparently there is a delay in my account billing and I won't be getting a bill until end of September for end of July & August usage. Also, wasn't able to access any usage data. 

bones said:
Anyone else having issues with the SCE?  Supposed to get a bill last week but just logged in and apparently there is a delay in my account billing and I won't be getting a bill until end of September for end of July & August usage. Also, wasn't able to access any usage data.
My bill was delayed for about 3 days for this billing cycle.

This SCE Summer Discount plan is killing me today!  Haven't been able to use my AC since around 3pm and it's 85 in my house.

Anyone else on the discount plan have their units off all afternoon too?

Ditto.
I wanted to cancel it but we keep going to the pool so it isn't so bad

qwerty said:
Guys - I just left 500 taped to the greenhouse at pavilion park - please enjoy your AC :)

I might as well go take a walk and check it out... Will be much cooler than inside my house.

AW said:
Turned off the a/c and turned it back on, now it's cold as ice. 

Ya me too, back in business!  All this for one day of Mello Roos savings per month.  Screw it, I'm moving to Baker Ranch.

aquabliss said:
qwerty said:
Guys - I just left 500 taped to the greenhouse at pavilion park - please enjoy your AC :)

I might as well go take a walk and check it out... Will be much cooler than inside my house.

Beat you to it. It was 500 pesos!  Cheap ass qwerty. :)

I think if you pull out the breaker and put it back in, it starts working again....(this is for the people with the SCE discount...box with the flashing green light when it's on)

aquabliss said:
This SCE Summer Discount plan is killing me today!  Haven't been able to use my AC since around 3pm and it's 85 in my house.

Anyone else on the discount plan have their units off all afternoon too?
I'll just hit Starbucks if you have to work at home, or go to the mall if family members are around b/w the time it is off  ;D

Projected cost for this month is $215!

Not sure if it will get that high, highest I paid was last Sept @ $192 but we have had a few months in the $20s-$40s so our average is less than $100/mo.

Solar salespeople keep telling me I have to average $150-200/mo to even consider solar.

Running the heater is a hog too, the winter months bills are around $100.

Summer 2016 update:

We usually don't turn on the AC until the evening (so ironic how the house stays cool most of the day and then gets really hot at night when it's cooler outside) and ranging between $100-$160. I think last year it got high as $215 one month.

But non-summer months, it's in the $50s... so probably over a year, about $100-$125 average? Is solar prime time?

irvinehomeowner said:
Summer 2016 update:

We usually don't turn on the AC until the evening (so ironic how the house stays cool most of the day and then gets really hot at night when it's cooler outside) and ranging between $100-$160. I think last year it got high as $215 one month.

But non-summer months, it's in the $50s... so probably over a year, about $100-$125 average? Is solar prime time?

A whole house fan may help (that is, if you don't have anyone with allergies that might be impacted by sucking in outside air). If you have an attic space, an attic fan will keep it from getting too hot.

As far as solar, look at your daily average use in kWh (maybe 20kWh/day?) You can price out what panel size you'd need to meet your usage and see over what time you pay it off (that is, if you are like me who'd want to own it out right rather than lease it). Don't forget to subtract about 1/3 in federal credits. In my case, it's (allegedly) about 6 years.

I use the Chai energy app for data, you'll have to give the them permission to mine your SCE data though. 

peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Summer 2016 update:

A whole house fan may help (that is, if you don't have anyone with allergies that might be impacted by sucking in outside air). If you have an attic space, an attic fan will keep it from getting too hot.

Whole house fans seem overrated. Depending on comfort level, if temps outside at night remain uncomfortable, then all you're doing is pulling in hot air from the outside. Typically, if its cool enough outside, just by opening up the windows I get a nice breeze, without a whole house fan. Attic fans turn on using a thermostat installed in the attic. Once it reaches a certain temp the fan kicks in. Starts to pull air out of attic, also starts to pull air out of the main living spaces through cracks. During the day, if you have the A/C on, it will work harder, costing more money.

Irvine Fanatic said:
peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Summer 2016 update:

Whole house fans seem overrated. Depending on comfort level, if temps outside at night remain uncomfortable, then all you're doing is pulling in hot air from the outside. Typically, if its cool enough outside, just by opening up the windows I get a nice breeze, without a whole house fan. Attic fans turn on using a thermostat installed in the attic. Once it reaches a certain temp the fan kicks in. Starts to pull air out of attic, also starts to pull air out of the main living spaces through cracks. During the day, if you have the A/C on, it will work harder, costing more money.

For an attic fan to work properly, you need to have opening to let air inside the attic. You do not want to build up negative pressure up there. In most cases there is a lot of venting already in the attic so this would not be a problem. My guess is that down here most (if not all) attics are vented. Check for soffits and gable vents. A good gable mount attic fan that moves ~ 1500 cubic feet of air / min only draws ~ 30W.

Whole house fans should only be run when the exterior temperature is more pleasant than the interior. If you already get a nice cross breeze through the house there is no need. Not everyone is so lucky. Also, since the interior of a house tends to be well insulated, there's a danger in blowing windows if you end up running the fan with all windows and doors shut. You end up building up a large enough negative pressure that can put too much strain on windows. 

Back