Any tips lowering electrical bills

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
I find it interesting how all these affluent folks who can afford a house in irvine appear to have a hard time paying a 200-300 electricity bill for 3-4 months of the year.
Keep your ghetto lifestyle comments to yourself.

:) x 10

Just calling it like I see it

For the last 3 days, can't pay my bill online at sce.com - anyone having similar issues?

Keep getting this message:
We're experiencing technical delays. We may be temporarily unable to display your usage data (up to 3 days prior to today), and your Projected Next Bill may appear incomplete. We're working to fix it as fast as we can. Thanks for your patience.

*Edit* Nevermind, I'm in now.....

Only $152 for one of the hottest months of the year.  This is keeping the A/C at 79 from about 5p-7a on weekdays, and all day on weekends.  Sometimes my wife turns it on during the day if she's home and it gets too hot.  Overall pretty happy, could have been a lot worse.
2chry1z.jpg

aquabliss said:
For the last 3 days, can't pay my bill online at sce.com - anyone having similar issues?

Keep getting this message:
We're experiencing technical delays. We may be temporarily unable to display your usage data (up to 3 days prior to today), and your Projected Next Bill may appear incomplete. We're working to fix it as fast as we can. Thanks for your patience.

*Edit* Nevermind, I'm in now.....
We get that from time to time too.  I was so fed up so we change the way to pay them through my bank.  Works like a charm but you'll still need to access the SCE website for usage.

We enrolled in both summer discount and save power day and it helps quite a bit.  For summer discount you can save 200 max a year, and 100 for power save day.  Although I never really get the max from power save day because from 2-6 PM your usage have to have enough difference from your peak during past 5 days. 

single digit body fat and single digit DTI helps: I can tolerate warmer temperature and there's no need to worry about energy cost spikes, and 1000 pts drop in Dow

qwerty said:
I find it interesting how all these affluent folks who can afford a house in irvine appear to have a hard time paying a 200-300 electricity bill for 3-4 months of the year.

just reminded me of jerry jones and his flip phone, haha
not like he can't afford it, not like irvinites can't afford the electric bill, just very cost conscious

AW said:
just reminded me of jerry jones and his flip phone, haha
not like he can't afford it, not like irvinites can't afford the electric bill, just very cost conscious

At the expense of comfort. It's fine to be cost conscious but not at the expense of comfort in my opinion.

The inside of our home gets up to 94 lately when we're back from work (older). When I get home, ac goes on full blast for up to 2 hours to get down to 80. Will my bill lower if we put it on at say 87 or so when we're not home or same as if we just crank it when coming home?

The AC unit is new though, had it replaced along with furnace upon move in. 1, 5 ton unit . The power bill hasn't been too bad, we use maybe 5kw/day w/o ac and can up to 15-22 kw/day with a/c if we run it allll day maybe 25 kw. Temp usually stays around 80 which probably helps, this month running a/c almost everyday for a bit probably $90.

Right?! It's ridiculous, our old IC apt built in 2007 used to get into low 90's at times too. Lots of sun exposure and currently no neighbors behind, a huge hill in Lake Forest.

I lived in a condo in Woodbury that was 2nd story living and above the garages of the other units.  No joke I would come home from work on hot days and the thermostat would read 102.

In this recent heat wave every time in drive past that place I feel sorry for the new occupants.

aquabliss said:
I lived in a condo in Woodbury that was 2nd story living and above the garages of the other units.  No joke I would come home from work on hot days and the thermostat would read 102.

In this recent heat wave every time in drive past that place I feel sorry for the new occupants.

To clear your conscience just buy them a fan from Daiso and drop it off. (a joke)

I'm sure they have lots of fans but don't know how liveable the place is in times like this.  Sometimes we would put the AC at 85 and it wouldn't stop all night, then stopped blowing cold air and we had to repair it multiple times...

I loved the location of that place but the summers were rough.

aquabliss said:
I'm sure they have lots of fans but don't know how liveable the place is in times like this.  Sometimes we would put the AC at 85 and it wouldn't stop all night, then stopped blowing cold air and we had to repair it multiple times...

I loved the location of that place but the summers were rough.

You sold them a broke down AC.

Nice

Not true.  It was repaired when sold, and I had just put a new condenser unit in the attic for $900 (in a 5 yr old home).

I certainly would not intentionally sell the home with a busted AC and not disclose it.  It was also tested during the buyers inspection and no faults were found.

Has anyone had any luck with solar window film?

Our house in Dove Canyon is up on a hill, no neighbors behind, 2 story, 2zone a/c. We have a Nest thermostat upstairs, which helps. Considering the worst bill we had when we lived in FL was around $300 for running the a/c 24/7, I nearly had a heart attack when we got a bill for the first time the a/c was on  for a couple of days and went from around $150 to $480! So now I tolerate the heat until it reaches around 82-84 upstairs.

I have been unplugging everything that is not being used on the save power days, which has helped lower the bills, and we do have the discount where they have a box attached to the ac and cycle it off every now and then.

We have solar shades in my office, which is the hottest room in the house. While it helps a little, we have been debating replacing the window film which is old, peeling and not doing an ounce of good.

We are looking into solar panels as well, but wonder if anyone has had any luck with the indoor or outdoor window film?

That doesn't make any sense that your bill would have jumped 250 for a couple of days of AC usage. Do u have SCE?  You can check your usage daily to see the actual impact your AC has

Back