Ants Anyone?

aquabliss

Started with a few scouts then trails then saw them in the master bath it was the last straw.  The exterminator was already here in June and didn't feel like paying again.

Based on a recommendation I tried this stuff:http://www.homedepot.com/p/AMDRO-24-oz-Ant-Block-Home-Perimeter-Ant-Bait-100099216/100598633

This was 4 weeks ago.  Literally 48 hours after I put it out, there no ants anywhere to be found, they were alllll gone within 2 days, 2 days!  Also I haven't seen so much as 1 ant in the last 4 weeks.  They've vanished completely.

They have this in store at Home Depot it's around $12.  Make sure you get the crystals not the spray.  Just sprinkle them around the outside of your house (1ft perimeter), I used it generously but probably didn't need this much. 

We have little ones so we didn't let them play outside for about 2 weeks while the crystals were there - then I went around and swept / shop vac'd all of it up.

This is definitely my new go-to, I've tried so many things and none have completely removed all traces of ants from every room in the house so quickly.  I suppose at some point they will find their way back in, but good to know I'm only $12 away from making them extinct again.

Thanks for the tip, looks like I got ants in the masters as well.  Do ants crawl up two story stucco?  Or maybe they're coming in thru the piping?  We don't use the tub so maybe they're crawling thru that?

Lived in our current house for 3 years and never had an ant issue, thought it's a new build issue.  Can't wait to see what kind of ants BP will have, glow in the dark?  Resistant to amdro?

I think they get into the walls from the ground floor then crawl up the walls and find an electrical outlet or small stucco hole to get through on the second floor. 

I snapped a pic of BP ants while touring the models:
v7h1le.jpg

I've also used Terro and it works pretty good.

They swarm on it at first but then they take it back and it's supposed to kill the queen.

I felt like Sigourney Weaver.

ps9 said:
Thanks for the tip, looks like I got ants in the masters as well.  Do ants crawl up two story stucco?  Or maybe they're coming in thru the piping?  We don't use the tub so maybe they're crawling thru that?

Lived in our current house for 3 years and never had an ant issue, thought it's a new build issue.  Can't wait to see what kind of ants BP will have, glow in the dark?  Resistant to amdro?
Don't worry about ants at BP.  Your FCB neighbors will be bringing US EPA banned ultra lethal Mainland China anti-ant chemical weapons that will annihilate all ants in your tract.

I use terro as well, both the bait and the powder, works great.  No ants since.  Much better than spraying raid.

sprinkled my garlic salt Amdro around the house, this better work aqua, tired of hearing "Daddy!  Ant! Ant!"  Hope the neighbors cat doesn't start eating the bait.

BTW if you had an exterminator in June come out, don't they have some type of warranty to come back out if you get ants?

We did the terro baits as well, it got messy since it was liquid.  Some of it spilled, got on the concrete and stained it pretty bad.  Luckily our painter was kind enough to remove it for us.  I hope this Amdro stuff doesn't melt/stain the ground. 

Cubic Zirconia said:
I keep ant baits in the bathrooms and kitchen- no ants for the past three years or so. First year in Irvine was pretty bad. I had to go to Home Depot and buy a spray- never knew the beautiful home came with ant issues.
http://www.amazon.com/TERRO-Killer-Liquid-Baits-pre-filled/dp/B000HJBKMQ

Takes awhile for residents to slowly get rid of the ants.

Now how about that fly problem? 

"I want to eat outside today"

Fly - "we will join you"

ps9 said:
sprinkled my garlic salt Amdro around the house, this better work aqua, tired of hearing "Daddy!  Ant! Ant!"  Hope the neighbors cat doesn't start eating the bait.

BTW if you had an exterminator in June come out, don't they have some type of warranty to come back out if you get ants?

Good luck!  Give it 2-3 days, I think it will work.  Then in 1-2 weeks sweep it up so no kids or pets accidentally ingest it later.

Exterminators usually don't give warranty with just 1 service.  From what I've seen you have to pay for 3-6 months then they'll come out anytime the ants come back since you're under contract.

I put the bait on top of a paper towel so that the goo doesn't stick on my floors, in case it spills.

ps9 said:
We did the terro baits as well, it got messy since it was liquid.  Some of it spilled, got on the concrete and stained it pretty bad.  Luckily our painter was kind enough to remove it for us.  I hope this Amdro stuff doesn't melt/stain the ground.

irvinehusky said:
I put the bait on top of a paper towel so that the goo doesn't stick on my floors, in case it spills.

ps9 said:

You must not have young kids.  We tried Terro once and not only was it an eyesore and a mess, but anywhere on the floor is eminent danger to the little ones.

Windex is your best friend. ;)

Especially for  the indoor, to avoid those nauseating fume and potential health hazard to pet and kids from the pesticides, try Windex.  Windex will kill ants instantly, wipe out their scents so other ants won't follow and deter ants from returning to the same spot.

Obvious it will not kill the queen and the entire colony but it's a good alternative to pesticides. 

I learn it years ago from a Mexican coworker who used it at work and we used to joke about it, call Windex as Mexican Raid.

You can read more about it:
Forget the bug spray, use Windex to kill ants indoors or try a natural, non-toxic solution

I have lower middle and upper elementary.  They were all elementary when I started using it.  My kids know better than to mess with things when I tell them not to.  :p

Anyway, I'm not sure how else you would use this bait?  I just put it on top of a paper towel to avoid the spill.  Otherwise, the usage hasn't changed. 

If someone  has very young kids, none of these products are for them.  The other product that someone mentioned to sprinkle outside "might" be safer.  But, small kids can always pick things up and put it in their mouth while playing outside.

We had to take care of a friend's cat some time ago.  During that time, I did put away some of these baits just so that I didn't end up with a dead cat.

Someone mentioned Windex but for spot killing I do use one of those environmentally friendly cleaner.  Just spray and almost all the bugs die quickly.  And, conveniently, you can wipe up the mess and clean at the same time.  :p  I have the pest killer in the garage but I never use it anymore.

You must not have young kids.  We tried Terro once and not only was it an eyesore and a mess, but anywhere on the floor is eminent danger to the little ones.
[/quote]

ps9 said:

ps9 it's been a couple days... How's the ant population doing?

I hate any toxic chemicals so we love baby powder - the ants simply go away when you sprinkle it in their path and it's non-toxic

aquabliss said:
ps9 said:

ps9 it's been a couple days... How's the ant population doing?

Still got ants, seems to be worse.  most of the amdro either melted in the hot sun or got blown away by my gardeners on Friday.  Will try again after the sun goes down today.  Might have to use the terro stuff again.

Back