Ants Anyone?

Ya if the gardeners use the blower then if ants entry point is around where they blew the crystals away, they will just walk past without knowing.  They also say if it rains to reapply.

Try again and give it a 4-5 days before your gardener comes.

First summer in our house, ants have been EVERYWHERE for last month. We've gone through 2 boxes of Terro baits. They'll work and ants will swarm for 2-3 days intermittently then they appear to be gone and come back in a week or 2 if we don't keep it spic and span. Once they were attracted to a small piece of dried food when we didn't wash a knife thoroughly IN THE DRAWER. Will try the Amdro and Terro stakes outside, maybe we have 10 anthills around us....

If this doesnt work I may breakdown and get a pest control company. Anyone know the general cost?

Paris said:
I hate any toxic chemicals so we love baby powder - the ants simply go away when you sprinkle it in their path and it's non-toxic

I also don't use toxic chemicals for ants.

jumpinjacks said:
First summer in our house, ants have been EVERYWHERE for last month. We've gone through 2 boxes of Terro baits. They'll work and ants will swarm for 2-3 days intermittently then they appear to be gone and come back in a week or 2 if we don't keep it spic and span. Once they were attracted to a small piece of dried food when we didn't wash a knife thoroughly IN THE DRAWER. Will try the Amdro and Terro stakes outside, maybe we have 10 anthills around us....

If this doesnt work I may breakdown and get a pest control company. Anyone know the general cost?

A guy came to my door today - he wanted $39 for the first month then $90 every 3 months after that.  He said everyone in the neighborhood is signing up.  I think they all say that "all your neighbors use our service so should you"...

Imagine if they have 30 houses at $30 per month and they can probably hit 10 per day.  That's $900 a month for working 3 days.

aquabliss said:
jumpinjacks said:

A guy came to my door today - he wanted $39 for the first month then $90 every 3 months after that.  He said everyone in the neighborhood is signing up.  I think they all say that "all your neighbors use our service so should you"...

Imagine if they have 30 houses at $30 per month and they can probably hit 10 per day.  That's $900 a month for working 3 days.

Or you can be like one of my neighbors spray a gallon of toxic spray outside the house and another gallon in the house. 

I lost count how many times they did this.

jumpinjacks said:

I just call my guy when i have an issue. $80. Rather than doing a lame contract. Pm me if you want his info.

jmoney74 said:
jumpinjacks said:

I just call my guy when i have an issue. $80. Rather than doing a lame contract. Pm me if you want his info.

Does he spray inside the kitchen or the bedroom area?

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
jumpinjacks said:

Not sure if thats with the $80 fee but you can ask.

jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
jumpinjacks said:

I was trying to get you to think about non toxic ant spray.

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
jumpinjacks said:

I was trying to get you to think about non toxic ant spray.

If i could find a non toxic indoor spray that would effectively take out colonies.. I'm all ears. 

Helpful insight from another thread

I have to agree with Qwerty. We are invading into the space of wildlife and then we are shocked when they "God Forbid" attack a human as they are fighting to survive because we have eliminated their food sources. And we are "shocked" that they then have to adapt to the change in environment and make our cats and dogs (and possibly young children) their food source. Humans are so ignorant in thinking we own this planet so as we destroy its Ecosystems that it should not affect us. Or we can continue to destroy more of the natural Ecosystems in place and not expect that to come around and impact human lives in some way.

Sure go out and kill the ANTS (coyotes) - that will not eliminate the problem. We need to learn to Co-exist with wildlife and the Ecosystems that surround us. Yes protect yourself, defend yourself if about to be attacked, be vigilant with young children and small pets especially from dawn to dusk from May through summer months when ANT (coyote) activity is at it's highest peak.

To think we can deal with this problem by going out on a killing spree on wildlife is just simply barbaric and ignorant.

Ants are not poisonous.  In fact, there are USDA limits on how much insects, droppings, etc. can be in different kinds of food so you have probably eaten lots of ants in your life with no ill effects but you don't know it.  Ant poison, on the other hand, can be deadly.  FCB's regularly contaminate their houses with illegal deadly nerve toxins (e.g. ant chalk) so they won't have to look at non-toxic harmless ants crawl around their floor. 

Happiness said:
Ant poison, on the other hand, can be deadly.  FCB's regularly contaminate their houses with illegal deadly nerve toxins (e.g. ant chalk) so they won't have to look at non-toxic harmless ants crawl around their floor.

I previously mention the story of my neighbor spraying "gallons of any spray inside and outside the house"

i've never had to kill so many ants crawling on me left and right before. there are random ants everywhere despite setting up 20 ant baits everywhere. i find them crawling on me when i'm sitting at random places in my house and even while i'm in bed. so damn annoying!!!!!!! is it the weather or is it new construction? UGH!

irvinenative said:
is it the weather or is it new construction? UGH!
It's the weather and it affects most of Irvine, not just the new construction.  It helps if you have pest control under contract.

jmoney74 said:
If i could find a non toxic indoor spray that would effectively take out colonies.. I'm all ears.

You can try using diatomaceous earth:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_93648-316-HG-93186___?productId=3276739&pl=1&Ntt=diatomaceous

Been using Terro for ants, and it's pretty effective, but I'm thinking of getting the DE to use on my fruit trees for other bugs.  So I'll use some to see if it works on the ants too.  From the reviews and what I've read online, it seems to work pretty well.  A friend had bedbug/flea issues, and DE seemed to solve the problem.

Good luck!

It's revenge of the ants!  I had a hunch and made sure all food scraps, junk is put away....except for one thing, they went after the portable vacuum!  Crap....

ps9 said:
It's revenge of the ants!  I had a hunch and made sure all food scraps, junk is put away....except for one thing, they went after the portable vacuum!  Crap....
Not to hijack this thread, but anyone having other pest problem besides ants?  I found one roach in my bathroom last night  :(

Back