All 4 IUSD high schools are in the top 100

irvinehomeshopper said:
Hey wttchmn, you are pretty right on with my blonde hair and blue contacts. Obviously you haven't been around long enough my tone have not altered the last 8 years. I am predictable, consistent and genuinely authentic. If you want your comment to be credible stop the chameleon ninja screen names.   

Then you are predictably, consistently, and genuinely stupid for not following your own advice.  You had 8 years to pull your daughter out of Irvine schools, just like your frenemy who got Holly into Yale.

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
BTW, this is about the most exciting thread in the last few years. The echo chamber is boring, comments are uninspiring, you guys are a bunch of followers driving away the thinkers and leaders.

Followers of what? 

I don't get this need to bash Irvine so much...somehow liking Irvine makes one a follower?

I tried to bash Tustin, I got shut down.

Hello PatrickStar!
How are you? I love the picture of your dad with the LA Clippers cheerleaders. He looks so happy in the photo! :)

PatrickStar said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Whoah... CZ and PatStar in the same thread?

Just waiting for traceimage, graphrix, roundcorners, NoVas and Panda to make cameos.

Haha IHO...just dropped in to say hi and thanks to IHS.  Don't worry, I'll disappear for a few years again soon. Not much for me to add anymore, too far removed.  But I sneak a peek over here ever so often when I have some free time, just to make sure you are behaving yourself. ;)

I actually need to get a hold of Panda.  Some friends of ours (also Korean) just made the move to Atlanta from LA as well, and now they are firing off that same ATL propaganda as he did. Maybe he really is onto something with John's Creek.

Sukhee Kang said:
Hello PatrickStar!
How are you? I love the picture of your dad with the LA Clippers cheerleaders. He looks so happy in the photo! :)

Hello Mayor!  Glad to see you are still keeping up with Facebook, you should post more!  Hope all is well my friend. Wow, its like an IHB reunion on here today! 

Sukhee Kang said:
Hello PatrickStar!

How are you? I love the picture of your dad with the LA Clippers cheerleaders. He looks so happy in the photo! :) So what subdivision did your friend in LA move to in Johns Creek? One my college buddies sold his Irvine home in Stonegate and moved to the Medlock Bridge subdivision in Johns Creek last year.

PatrickStar said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Just waiting for traceimage, graphrix, roundcorners, NoVas and Panda to make cameos.

Haha IHO...just dropped in to say hi and thanks to IHS.  Don't worry, I'll disappear for a few years again soon. Not much for me to add anymore, too far removed.  But I sneak a peek over here ever so often when I have some free time, just to make sure you are behaving yourself. ;)

I actually need to get a hold of Panda.  Some friends of ours (also Korean) just made the move to Atlanta from LA as well, and now they are firing off that same ATL propaganda as he did. Maybe he really is onto something with John's Creek.

Some people like big bulky "cozy" couches while others like less comfy more streamlined modern couches.  To each their own.  But what I do hate is when people try to say that "all" couches are one way after they've experienced a few couches.

It's like going to Living Spaces, seeing their modern furniture collection and then saying that all modern couches are horrible and then spending almost a decade trying to get other people to hate all modern couches.

Plus, if I actually had any money, I'd be living in a bubble called San Marino.  Well then again, my wife doesn't like San Marino.  She likes palm trees and tract homes.  :eek:

Great catching up with many of you today, and catching up on what's happening in our former home.  And even getting reminded by my friend JC how much I need to spend some time on MNet to get catch back up on KPop.  Thanks for the memories.  Will check back in again in a few years, or whenever they reinstate school API rankings. Don't we all miss those.

P.S. The one thing I have learned today is that someday I will be able to own my own little corner of Irvine property again.  As I am a Veteran, I am eligible to make my final resting place at any Veterans Cemetery. And I cannot think of any better place to spend eternity than in the beautiful jewel of Irvine known as the Great Park.  I thank all the citizens of Irvine for the generous gift of space in your fair city honoring Veterans. Your celebration of their sacrifice comes through clearly on this discussion board.  Look forward to seeing you in the next life!  ;)

There is no debate here. You are right and I was stupid and genuinely so for trusting the high API scores in Unicornland where disappointment is not supposed to exist.

Correction: 4 years Irvine School and 3 years Tustin school syntax approved by Test. I was betting on that An Irvine school would hold some weight since there were no predecessor to set me straight and I lost. I am telling the rest of you I am the martyr for your gain and I don't want to use this phrase " I told you so" a few years from now or longer for most of you.

I was relying on apparently inflated and inaccurate information like everyone had relatives in Irvine graduated from those top schools. All those false and exaggerated successes was finally revealed and  confirmed when I got a hold of the college bound roster list for the 5 Irvine High schools. I was not only shock, felt stupid and disgusted to see the obscenely low admission to the top colleges and so many on their way to becoming a Titan or Laser.

And for IHO, Obama just approved a full ride for your children's education.

WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Hey wttchmn, you are pretty right on with my blonde hair and blue contacts. Obviously you haven't been around long enough my tone have not altered the last 8 years. I am predictable, consistent and genuinely authentic. If you want your comment to be credible stop the chameleon ninja screen names.   

Then you are predictably, consistently, and genuinely stupid for not following your own advice.  You had 8 years to pull your daughter out of Irvine schools, just like your frenemy who got Holly into Yale.

you'll learn pretty much the same content getting a degree in art history at harvard or csuf and you'll be fine either way.

kind of the same as choosing to live in irvine or somewhere else.

No need to move to Irvine first.  Just come directly from the boondocks in China:

Top US colleges push for more diverse students from China
Associated Press
By MICHAEL MELIA

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (AP) ? Yupei Guo does not fit the mold of the traditional Ivy League student from China: Her journalist parents are neither rich nor members of the governing elite.

Growing up, she thought the cost would make it impossible for her to attend one of the famed American universities. But by the time she applied to Yale, it was among the U.S. schools investing in more economic diversity among their growing ranks of international students.

Guo, 19, is now a second-year student at Yale, happily settled among the school's Gothic buildings. Most would never guess university grants cover much of the Beijing native's tuition, at least not judging by the questions she gets around New Haven.

"I did get asked if I were some sort of distant royal family member, which I'm not," she said.

Top U.S. universities that worked to overcome reputations for serving only children of the American elite are now pushing to do the same with their international students. With more undergraduates coming from overseas than ever, Yale, Harvard and other schools ? with help from the U.S. State Department ? are trying to attract students of more varied financial backgrounds.

No country is receiving more attention than China, which sends far more students to the U.S. than any other country. Nearly 275,000 students came from China last year, 31 percent of all international students, according to the Institute of International Education.

As China has grown more prosperous, many U.S. colleges have stepped up recruiting there, seeking revenue-generating students who can pay their full way. A small number of schools pledge, like Yale, to meet the full financial need of admitted international students, and for them it is a matter of making that known around the country of 1.3 billion people.

A student-run organization at Harvard University holds college-style seminars annually for dozens of Chinese high school students, offering financial aid to help draw from all the country's provinces. At Yale, which in 1854 graduated the first Chinese person to earn a degree from a U.S. college, international students are deputized as "ambassadors" to talk with students while home on break. Admissions officers from both schools regularly travel to China.

Yale extended its need-blind admissions policy to international students in 2001, and Dean of Admissions Jeremiah Quinlan said the makeup of students from China and other countries has since changed dramatically. International students have gone from representing 3 percent of the student body, mostly from high-income families, to 11 percent, with greater diversity.

"The diversity of our international student body has really exploded, frankly to a greater extent than our U.S. socio-economic diversity has over time," Quinlan said. He said most of the dozens of Chinese undergrads receive financial aid at Yale, where tuition, room and board cost nearly $60,000 a year.

Guo attended a selective public high school in Beijing and learned from upperclassmen the names of U.S. schools with need-blind admissions ? Yale, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Dartmouth and Amherst. She visited Yale during high school ? on a U.S. visit for model United Nations ? and felt energized by the posters advertising campus activities.

At home, her departure was met with a mix of admiration and scorn.

Yale is a celebrated name in China, where her acceptance prompted calls from reporters. But Guo said there is also a stigma that comes with attending college in the U.S., as though those leaving failed to fit into the Chinese system. And there is bitterness: Financial concerns prevent many of her friends from going to college at all.

Two Chinese real estate moguls, Pan Shiyi and Zhang Xin, are prodding American universities to do more by giving them money to support low-income students from China. Through their SOHO China Foundation, they so far have awarded $15 million to Harvard and $10 million to Yale.

The admissions directors at Yale and Harvard say the gifts align with their goals of encouraging more Chinese students to apply. The universities say it's about promoting empathy and creating the diversity sought by students and faculty.

Finding candidates outside China's elite circles is not easy. The affluent have access to the best schools ? even more than in the United States ? and admissions officers say many students assume they must have political connections.

There are also language and logistical hurdles: The SAT has limited availability in China and applicants must be fluent in English. Guo learned English as a child when her parents were posted in the United Kingdom by their Chinese newspaper for three years. For the SAT, she had to travel to Hong Kong.

To help address such difficulties, the State Department's EducationUSA program created a $1 million fund to provide aid for costs like application fees, said Evan Ryan, an assistant secretary for Educational and Cultural Affairs.

it is because of $$$

Top universities can charge more $$$ to foreign students. UCI has been favoring out-of-state students just because of this. It is known as University of Chinese Immigrants for this reason.

irvinehomeowner said:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  This makes me want to go to Santa Ana to get some forties to pour on the ground for all the IHB posters not here anymore but my 4 ft backyard with hardscape and artificial turf is probably not a good place to do that.

Happiness said:
This makes me want to go to Santa Ana to get some forties to pour on the ground for all the IHB posters not here anymore

Ha!  ;D That was hilarious! I like this new poster, "Happiness". Were you a lurker back then or did you post?

I keep in touch with CZ. She is alive and well, doing good. Been in contact with NoVas, just heard from him this morning, actually.

Who would have thought some random real estate forum posting would develop into friendships that last so many years & share so many ups & downs in life.

Btw, does anyone here keep in touch with Traceimage? I miss her great sense of humor. I think of her often and hope she's doing well.

SoCal said:
Happiness said:
This makes me want to go to Santa Ana to get some forties to pour on the ground for all the IHB posters not here anymore

Ha!  ;D That was hilarious! I like this new poster, "Happiness". Were you a lurker back then or did you post?

I keep in touch with CZ. She is alive and well, doing good. Been in contact with NoVas, just heard from him this morning, actually.

Who would have thought some random real estate forum posting would develop into friendships that last so many years & share so many ups & downs in life.

NoVas and Trooper were the "realest" people on the board.  Actually Roundcorners was real too but waaaay too real.

I've lurked for a long time.  I hope tenmagnet comes back.

Happiness said:
NoVas and Trooper were the "realest" people on the board.  Actually Roundcorners was real too but waaaay too real.
I've lurked for a long time.  I hope tenmagnet comes back.

I remember one time tenmagnet told me he saw my family and I at the Jamboree Ralphs.  And then said I should stop wearing the v-neck RL Polo sweater because it went out of style in like 1995. And guess what I was wearing that day. Smart guy --- he had never met or saw a picture of me before, but picked us out of the crowd just based on hints I dropped online.  Figured I should be less specific online after that. Haha.

P.S. He didn't out himself in person, so I have no idea if he was actually a 10 magnet as portrayed online. I'm not sure if anyone ever met him?

A perfect SAT score and only a freshman? Meet the O.C. student who did it

Or as IHS would say, Cal State Fullerton, here I come!

Jan. 30, 2015
BY SARAH de CRESCENZO  / STAFF WRITER

Hundreds of upperclassmen annually ace the standardized test by which many students are judged by colleges.

University High School student Phil Chen was among them in 2014, but he stood out among that class of testing wizards for a reason other than his multiple-choice prowess.

He?s a freshman.

The teen, now 14, first took the Scholastic Aptitude Test, which offers a maximum score of 2400, on a lark in late middle school.

His parents suggested he do so, ?kind of for fun,? he said.

Chen notched 2280 and, pleased with the result, decided to try and top it as a ninth-grader after a year of studying and some high school coursework.

News of changes coming to the test in spring 2016 helped prompt his decision, Chen said. ?I think this test fits me a little better.?

It wasn?t necessarily a hard task to devote himself to learning what he needed to succeed on the test, he said.

?I think I?m a pretty motivated person to start with,? he said. ?What motivates me is I enjoy most of what I do.?

Starting the summer before high school, Chen took a slew of practice tests, learning his weak spots and then honing his skills in those areas.

?Over time, my math and science became solid,? he said. ?It was just critical reading I had to work on.?

He did so at Chungdahm ReadWrite, which offers one-on-one tutoring for students looking to improve their SAT scores. The center, opened in 2012, is a branch of a South Korean company.

Phillip Lee, a teacher at the center, said the key to Chen?s success is his maturity.

?He takes learning seriously and always wants to ensure that he fully understands the key points,? Lee said. ?I?d say that this is the most important factor for scoring well on the SAT, and it?s something Phil has in abundance.?

Even smart juniors ?struggle to get over 2300,? Lee said. ?I have never seen such outstanding performance from somebody so young.?

?Phil would have scored extremely well regardless of any help,? Lee said. ?I?d like to think that we just pointed him in the right direction and let him loose.?

According to data from the College Board, which administers the test, 141 students from the 236,932 Californians in the class of 2014 got the the highest possible score; 583 of the 1.67 million students nationwide earned a 2400.

Chen took the test on the first Saturday of December at Foothill High School, intentionally selecting a test center away from friends to reduce distractions.

?Going into it, I was kind of relaxed,? he said. ?It was kind of like, there?s no point to stress about it. I won?t do any better even if I?m stressed.?

?I was pretty confident,? he said about leaving the test. ?I was glad that the vocabulary words were the ones I memorized. A lot of things just went my way. At the time, I thought I scored at least 2300.?

Chen woke at 7 a.m. Dec. 23 and realized it was the date results were to be released.

?I didn?t get up at 2 a.m. to check it,? he said. ?I know a lot of people who did that.?

When he saw 2400 pop up ? a number he called ?a bit of a surprise? ? he woke his parents to share the good news.

Besides studying for the test, Chen said his other interests also helped him achieve such high marks.

He credits his ?great English teachers? with improving his reading and writing, participation in math and science competitions for his strengths in those areas and even soccer ? Chen is on his high school team and plays for the Irvine Slammers, a club team ? with preparing him for the test.

?When I took my first (practice) SAT, I thought: 2400 is an impossible task,? he said. ?But I learned in soccer, when you?re down 0-2, it might seem impossible to beat the opposition, but with hard work, anything is possible.?

His mother, Andrea Chen, said she was happy for his success on the test because it allows him to focus on other interests, from sports to music to free online courses offered by major universities.

Over the summer, Chen and a friend started a YouTube channel called philharmonicus. Earlier this month, they posted an instrumental cover of a Maroon 5 song.

?I?m happy for him because he has more time to explore more new things now,? his mother said. ?Now he can spend his time with his passions.?

Contact the writer: 714-796-2221 or sdecrescenzo@ocregister.com

Back