A

eyephone said:
Paris167 said:
eyephone said:
Zippohunter said:
Ready2Downsize said:
Gate isn't going to prevent crime. We've lived in gated communities for more than 20 years and have had break ins.

Did you guys have a security guard at the gate 24/7?  I agree a gate alone is not aas effective. 

But if I am a robber I go for something without a gate unless I am targeting a particular home that I know.

A gate makes it harder for a robber to monitor and study a neighborhood as well.
Easy to tail gate/follow a car into a gated community.

Not at guard gated places like turtle ridge , Northpark. As soon as 1 car passes the gate immediately comes down. I should know because I wasn't paying attention one day and tailgated my neighbor in only to get struck by the overhead gate.

I guess your not smooth like that or in your case smart.  ;)

If you're so smooth, you should try it sometime - let us know how it works out for you  ;)

I love how people think guard gated communities make it safer. Anyone can come in thru open house or find a way if they really wanted to. Just because you live in a guard gate doesn't mean it is more or less safe. People who have this notion have their head in the clouds.

If I am burglar I would avoid gated community like the plague.

Sure you can access with one trick or another but it is one more step, one more thing to go wrong.

It's like lock on the door - not a sure thing, but one more thing.

So yes, I think gated is safer. Also less traffic running through community. Look at Woodbury for example.

If someone had $30k worth of something to steal (had to be jewelry), sounds like an inside job because no one keeps that kind of value in their tract home in Irvine.

It would at least be in a safe.

That's how I prevent people from wanting to rob me... cheap cars, dress like a 99%er, nothing of great value kept in the house... not worth it trying to break into my home.

Irvineneedle, you have any more info on this?  People on PP HOA website are saying now this didn't happen, and all we have on this is your post.

aquabliss said:
Irvineneedle, you have any more info on this?  People on PP HOA website are saying now this didn't happen, and all we have on this is your post.

talk about head in the sand.  lol

Since I don't live in PP and some of you do...One of you call Irvine PD and ask them...then post the result here.
Thanks.

zubs said:
Since I don't live in PP and some of you do...One of you call Irvine PD and ask them...then post the result here.
Thanks.

how?  What's the correct step?  Just tell them I live in PP and ask for the latest criminal report?

The best bet is using the Southern Alarm System.

Instructions for Installing:

1) Go to Goodwill. Buy men's size 14-16 work boots.

2) Place them on your front porch along with a copy of "Guns and Ammo Magazine"

3) Put 4 giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazine.

4) Leave a note that reads --

Install-Southern-Alarm-System.jpg

yaliu07 said:
zubs said:
Thanks.

how?  What's the correct step?  Just tell them I live in PP and ask for the latest criminal report?

Yeah call Irvine PD and tell them you heard there were burglaries in Pavilion Park recently but you were not sure if it was fake or real and you wanna know what's up since you are thinking of buying there.

copy and paste from Pavilion Park HOA Forum

<copyandpaste>
On Sunday Morning, 9/14/2014, a break in occurred in one of the houses on PP Street. The thieves got into the garage and stole building material (ONLY BUILDING MATERIAL) as the owner was in the process of upgrading right after they closed escrow. It does not even look like the thieves went into the house as they went straight into the garage where the material was stored ($20,000 worth of tile and other material were stolen). I live on PP Street, have been since December 2013, and although there was a couple of issues with construction workers stealing tools from each other or trying to break into tool boxes of parked trucks (I am assuming it was workers stealing tools form the other workers or material of others). Other than that we have not heard of a house break in where thieves where in to steal from the actual home.
</copyandpaste>

Irvine police hiding information to maintain Irvine's pristine image? PP residents talking down the break-in(s) to protect their property values?

yaliu07 said:

<copyandpaste>
On Sunday Morning, 9/14/2014, a break in occurred in one of the houses on PP Street. The thieves got into the garage and stole building material (ONLY BUILDING MATERIAL) as the owner was in the process of upgrading right after they closed escrow. It does not even look like the thieves went into the house as they went straight into the garage where the material was stored ($20,000 worth of tile and other material were stolen). I live on PP Street, have been since December 2013, and although there was a couple of issues with construction workers stealing tools from each other or trying to break into tool boxes of parked trucks (I am assuming it was workers stealing tools form the other workers or material of others). Other than that we have not heard of a house break in where thieves where in to steal from the actual home.
</copyandpaste>

The California Court Company said:
Irvine police hiding information to maintain Irvine's pristine image? PP residents talking down the break-in(s) to protect their property values?

yaliu07 said:

<copyandpaste>
</copyandpaste>

You think too much???  :)

The California Court Company said:

yaliu07 said:

<copyandpaste>
</copyandpaste>

Some truth to your statements.  At first.. the burglary was brought up on the board.. then two homeowners got really defensive and even said IT DIDN'T HAPPEN LA LA LA LA LA LA (I added in last part) and do not report it if there is a report on it.  I'm not sure what they are expecting.. to get on the 8 o clock news or even in the papers?  That type of stuff doesn't get headlines.  lol 

yaliu07 said:

<copyandpaste>
</copyandpaste>

My follow up Qs:
Was the door to the garage door or garage door left open?
Is there a window to peek in the garage?

If the answers are no window, garage door was closed, and door to garage was closed then I would have to say it was an inside job. (Contractor, neighbor, family member) Or someone saw the materials delivered.

I hope the materials were not just placed on the driveway by the garage. Ha

Just catching up on the thread but just doing a straight cost benefit analysis as to the odds of you getting robbed X loss versus the extra HOA fees you have to pay for a guarded gate (cause non-guarded gates are useless).  I am not sure it's worth it. 

Even if you get robbed, you have homeowner's insurance.  Also, other than some appliances and the TV, there is really nothing worth taking in my house.

Gated communities with no guards have 1 benefit.  It keeps out solicitors & religious missionaries.  However, you still collect about 1 ad per month in the entry area.

Back