9-year-old dies after being struck by van in Cypress Village

ukuoy said:
As a cv resident, i noticed more and more drivers who are not seem cv residents are using the Roosevelt between Jeffrey and Sand Canyon. The 4way stop of Roosevelt and Scented Violet gets really busy during rush hours. And when it gets dark, the stop signs are hard to notice for those drivers who are not familiar with the stops on Roosevelt.

yup.. I use this street too to cut through.  Sad.. was it the case of the dude just running the stop sign? 

We need automated cars, pronto.  I'm bewildered about how some people get driver's licenses. 

i feel bad for the family but is it too early to conclude it is the driver's fault? the family just moved from China 6 months ago and the kid might not be quite used to the streets and traffic rules.

The California Court Company said:
i feel bad for the family but is it too early to conclude it is the driver's fault? the family just moved from China 6 months ago and the kid might not be quite used to the streets and traffic rules.

Why didn't the ipd release the name of the driver? We know the victims name and not the driver?
Where's the transparency?

rideBMC said:
As a father and a cycling enthusiast, this breaks my heart.

I'm thinking of putting up a ghost bike as a memorial. I'm not sure though if this is against the family's culture. Can anyone familiar with Chinese customs share their thoughts? Thanks

On the night of the vigil the family allowed a neighbor to paint their son's bike white, like a ghost bike. They had the bike up for display throughout the vigil.

I was a bit surprised they did this. As I thought the police would have wanted it for evidence??

I was at the city hall meeting tonight. About a dozen CV residents got up and talked during the open session.  Not sure if our voices will be heard. A little girl got the most applause, followed by a young dad.  But the audience was definitely listening.

As for my above mention of the boy having the helmet on, the rumor is he rarely buckled it.  So that may have been the case here.  Very unfortunate.

Rumor also have it a neighbor gave him that helmet just a couple days/weeks before the accident too.  That neighbor is very distraught at the moment.

This whole accident is very tragic and could have been avoided.

So please please ... Drivers need to slow down and kids need to BUCKLE their helmets, regardless if the kid is riding or walking the bike across the street. BUCKLE those helmets!!!

Anyone that is interested in visiting the vigil site, it is still there.

I see people every day at that intersection adding to it. The boy does have a little brother.  I'm hoping all the gifts left there will be given to the family when they are ready to receive them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 245
We do not know if the speed was an issue for this tragedy but it is an safety issue for Roosevelt.

When enter Roosevelt from Jeffrey, I don't recall any speed limit sign posted.  And when enter from Sand Canyon, there is a speed limited sign and the posted speed limit is 45 mph! 

Why 45 mph speed limit when there's a stop sign just 50 yard ahead?

How much does one of these cost?
radar-speed-sign.jpeg

This is very tragic and hits way too close to home.  I jog with down this street to get to JOST while my 4 year old son rides his bike with me and it's frightening to think it could happen to us.

lnc said:
We do not know if the speed was an issue for this tragedy but it is an safety issue for Roosevelt.

When enter Roosevelt from Jeffrey, I don't recall any speed limit sign posted.  And when enter from Sand Canyon, there is a speed limited sign and the posted speed limit is 45 mph! 

Why 45 mph speed limit when there's a stop sign just 50 yard ahead?

You're correct. Speed wasn't an issue here. The speed limit was 45 mph and the driver didn't violate that.

But with that said, anyone making a right turn could not possibly be violating the speed limit if it's at 45 mph ... Not unless you're in the fast and the furious movies.

However it doesn't mean people shouldn't slow down when entering right hand turns when they see kids walking home.

This is a reminder for me too. There are times I was in a rush and forgot to slow down entering right hand turns. I remember I was so thankful no one was crossing at the time.

Tragedies such as this generally have multiple factors at play. I'm waiting for the police report to be released to reveal the details.

eyephone said:
zubs said:
How much does one of these cost?
radar-speed-sign.jpeg

You think a FCB/fob/high roller American care about a digitalized speed radar sign?

I've seen those in other cities. I don't think they are very effective. People just keep on driving to see if it can calculate their speed correctly. But that's just my opinion.

The flashing light strips on the ground to remind drivers that someone is about to cross, now those get my attention every time.  But again that's just my opinion. (Zerolot approval stamp here.)

I live right near that intersection. I can tell you that police presence has been crazy here since that accident. First few months of living in CV i hadn't seen a single cop.

Back