9-year-old dies after being struck by van in Cypress Village

Paris said:
iacrenter said:
Paris said:
test said:

The hospitals in Irvine are not trauma centers so EMS is required to take patients to the closest trauma center. Not sure why they didn't take him to UCI, maybe had to do with capacity that day.

This is more reaffirmation for my crazy idea of chaffering my boys to and from school until the day they go to college

This child was probably too sick for transport to a trauma center.
Unstable patients will always go to the nearest hospital.

Not true. Hoag Irvine and Kaiser Irvine are literally down the street from this location. A hospital Unequipped to handle trauma will not accept this patient, there are no trauma surgeons on site. It's like an active heart attack patient who will always get routed to the nearest cath lab equipped hospital or stroke to a designated stroke center. The only exception to that is if you are a certain long distance from an equipped hospital. Protocol then is to stabilize as best as possible at the nearest facility and medicopter patient from there.

Not if it's a traumatic arrest or airway issue. Closest receiving center will be the place to go.

It is just sad for a city of 300,000 and unprepared to deal with life emergency. There is no trauma hospital and the closest one is in the despicable city of Santa Ana Western Med. There are no protocols in place to deal with any metropolitan epidemics.

irvinehomeshopper said:
It is just sad for a city of 300,000 and unprepared to deal with life emergency. There is no trauma hospital and the closest one is in the despicable city of Santa Ana Western Med. There are no protocols in place to deal with any metropolitan epidemics.

It's called OC Global now, new name new start?  All I know is if you're not unconscious during the ride tell the paramedics to take you to UCI.

ps9 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

It's called OC Global now, new name new start?  All I know is if you're not unconscious during the ride tell the paramedics to take you to UCI.

It costs a lot of money for hospitals to maintain trauma certification. Also, trauma patients tend to run up large bills but have poor/no insurance. This is a recipe that discourages new trauma centers.

ps9 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Western is a lot closer than UCI and both are in Santa Ana.

bones said:
Next door post says he was the last one out of the group to cross so how did the driver miss the group?

I saw a different kid recently just about get run over as he was also the last in the group crossing after school while walking his bike. Different intersection, of course. He was short-statured to begin with due to being a kid plus being an ethnicity which is more petite than average. As it was, I could barely see him over my hood when he crossed my vehicle and I'm tall with pretty good visibility. Then the worst thing happened, he dropped something and BENT DOWN to pick it up while he leaned his bike over at the same time. It seemed to take him a while to pick it up. I couldn't believe he did that, with cars sitting at the limit line. Since nobody was behind him, the entire group was leaving him in the dust, making it appear as though the intersection was now clear of pedestrians. The new driver he was in front of could not see the boy as he  ducked down. She started going. So scary. I think his bike might have been nicked but he stood up just in time, completely oblivious to what just happened.

Prayers for the boy's family and also for the driver struggling with this.

irvinehomeshopper said:
ps9 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Western is a lot closer than UCI and both are in Santa Ana.

Yeah, I don't get why the patient was taken all the way to Mission.

Where trauma patients go depends on immediate staffing at the trauma centers. Could be that other trauma centers had too many patients or another trauma patient in the ER or it could have something to do with traffic at the time. Even though paramedics travel with lights and sirens, traffic will slow them down.

Breaks my heart everytime I hear a code white go off...

Isn't Mission closer to the crash site than Westmed and UCI?  All level I Traumas but UCI has Ped care.

Totally heart breaker for the family.. RIP

Homer_Simpson said:

Isn't Mission closer to the crash site than Westmed and UCI?  All level I Traumas but UCI has Ped care.

True my heart sinks with every code white, but then again it sinks deeper with code blues because I have to respond to those!

Paris said:
Homer_Simpson said:

True my heart sinks with every code white, but then again it sinks deeper with code blues because I have to respond to those!

Ditto!  :(

Paris said:
Homer_Simpson said:

#codeSPEED

WTTCHMN said:
Was this the intersection Zero Lot was always complaining about?  Not the same lady, though, as this perpetrator was male.

No this was an intersection that actually had traffic lights. The one I mentioned last year was the stop sign.

But tonight the cops pulled over a guy running the same stop sign. So the police are in full force enforcing traffic laws since this accident.

Hi guys,

Long time no chat. Hope everyone will have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

I saw some questions in previous posts and thought I can help clarify:

The boy was wearing his helmet when this happened.  He wasn't the only one crossing at the time ... And it wouldn't have made much difference if the hospital was super close or super far. ... That's based on what I heard from people who saw what happened.  So no need to blame the ambulance for this.

I was at the scene after the boy was already in the ambulance and the police were fighting back tears. It was very emotional. I don't know how CSI do it everyday. They must have super powers.

But here's the video of the vigil:
http://abc7.com/news/vigil-to-be-held-for-9-year-old-struck-killed-by-van-in-irvine/1095102/

I was there and I was in the video. Very brief as I don't like being on camera.

Many thanks to anyone on this forum that attended.

Just in case anyone was wondering where I disappeared to all this time ... I was out getting a Masters degree. I finally got it and can enjoy GoT without any more papers to write.  Now I just need to figure out how to pay for it.  I also highly recommend against getting a masters with young kids in the house. Very bad idea. I can write a review on that. Hehe

I'll go crawl back into my CV cave now.

Best Wishes,

Zerolot

Welcome back ZeroLot, we miss your vetting reports.

It's so hartwrenching to heard news like this especially its so close to where we live.  My heart goes out to the families...

As a father and a cycling enthusiast, this breaks my heart.

I'm thinking of putting up a ghost bike as a memorial. I'm not sure though if this is against the family's culture. Can anyone familiar with Chinese customs share their thoughts? Thanks

rideBMC said:
As a father and a cycling enthusiast, this breaks my heart.

I'm thinking of putting up a ghost bike as a memorial. I'm not sure though if this is against the family's culture. Can anyone familiar with Chinese customs share their thoughts? Thanks

I would say don't.  This is a bit eerie and a constant reminder to the family when they drive by the intersection.  Even as a "non-chinese" I think this looks a bit spooky after seeing photos of it:http://ghostbikes.org/

I know your intentions are good and as a cycling enthusiast you probably feel that most people know about this type of memorializing, but I don't think that's the case.  Unless you know the parents or speak with them about it, I would say steer clear. 

I think someone already put one of these up. I was wondering what it was.

They really need to add more crossing guards around here. Until then, tell your children to take the CV trail that runs parallel to the 5. This leads to JOST and the bridge. It's not far out of the way and much much safer.

As a cv resident, i noticed more and more drivers who are not seem cv residents are using the Roosevelt between Jeffrey and Sand Canyon. The 4way stop of Roosevelt and Scented Violet gets really busy during rush hours. And when it gets dark, the stop signs are hard to notice for those drivers who are not familiar with the stops on Roosevelt.

Back