9-year-old dies after being struck by van in Cypress Village

One downside to speed bumps is they slow down emergency response times for fire trucks, etc. Not saying it's not a good idea but there are other issues to consider.

Chloros said:
paydawg said:
Chloros said:
At night some people blow through the stop signs even with families present walking around the park.

Why not have speed bumps put in?  Seems logical with so many kids in the community.

This might be true, but this was at a traffic signal, not a speed bump.

This might be true but this was not a major street and within a stones throw from the school.  Why even have a traffic signal within this community?  Is it because Irvine stuck 4 apartment complexes on this street?  I was also referring to adding speed bumps around the school which was my suggestion from the get go.

I can see Culver and Portola being dangerous but cmon....this is inside the community.

I fully agree that speed bumps need to be considered around the school.  However, speed bumps are not an option on Roosevelt, which IS a major street in CV.  It's the only 'through street' that spans from Jeffrey to Sand Canyon.

I don't know what the speed limit is on Roosevelt, but maybe they need to have electronic speed limit signs on Roosevelt that adjust the limit down during the school rush hours.  School zones can be a zoo when class ends for the day. 

Too late for a small roundabout?  I don't recall how big of a street, but it'll def not allow for fast cars going through or "didn't see" a stop sign

paydawg said:
Chloros said:
paydawg said:
Chloros said:
At night some people blow through the stop signs even with families present walking around the park.

Why not have speed bumps put in?  Seems logical with so many kids in the community.

This might be true, but this was at a traffic signal, not a speed bump.

This might be true but this was not a major street and within a stones throw from the school.  Why even have a traffic signal within this community?  Is it because Irvine stuck 4 apartment complexes on this street?  I was also referring to adding speed bumps around the school which was my suggestion from the get go.

I can see Culver and Portola being dangerous but cmon....this is inside the community.

I fully agree that speed bumps need to be considered around the school.  However, speed bumps are not an option on Roosevelt, which IS a major street in CV.  It's the only 'through street' that spans from Jeffrey to Sand Canyon.

I don't know what the speed limit is on Roosevelt, but maybe they need to have electronic speed limit signs on Roosevelt that adjust the limit down during the school rush hours.  School zones can be a zoo when class ends for the day.

Never mentioned that they need speed bumps at the light but around the school where i mentioned that cars blow by stops.  Not trying to argue with your but making it clear.

Also just because a street connects Jefferey to Sand Canyon through a school community make it OK to constituted as a Major Street?  This street does run through i agree but is not a street that people choose to get through our community.  They could have put stops instead of lights?  Why not use Trabuco for through traffic?

My guess is that the apartment traffic congestion would justify the light and not the fact that it connects both jefferey and san canyon.

There are dedicated left and right turn lanes with a left turn signal at all four corners on that intersection. A four way stop would just lead to more people driving down the road to avoid signals on Trabuco and eventually there would just be too much traffic for a four way stop. If stop signs were enough, the city wouldn't have spent the money to put in a traffic signal.

I use Roosevelt to/from Jeffrey to Sand Canyon frequently to/from Northwood and the Sand Canyon post office, office depot and the Spectrum, unless I need to stop at Ralphs in which case I take Irvine Blvd instead and my hubby takes it to get to/from the train station. It's a nicer drive than Irvine Blvd or Trabuco.

Ready2Downsize said:
There are dedicated left and right turn lanes with a left turn signal at all four corners on that intersection. A four way stop would just lead to more people driving down the road to avoid signals on Trabuco and eventually there would just be too much traffic for a four way stop. If stop signs were enough, the city wouldn't have spent the money to put in a traffic signal.

I use Roosevelt to/from Jeffrey to Sand Canyon frequently to/from Northwood and the Sand Canyon post office, office depot and the Spectrum, unless I need to stop at Ralphs in which case I take Irvine Blvd instead and my hubby takes it to get to/from the train station. It's a nicer drive than Irvine Blvd or Trabuco.

lol you give the city too much credit.  I think it has to do with Apartments all located on that street.  Too much traffic coming out of that street alone.

No matter what the reason, the city would not just install signals if a stop sign would do and seeing as there are dedicated left turn lanes, (double on one of the streets) if there isn't a whole lot of traffic now, there will be sooner than later.

Ready2Downsize said:
No matter what the reason, the city would not just install signals if a stop sign would do and seeing as there are dedicated left turn lanes, (double on one of the streets) if there isn't a whole lot of traffic now, there will be sooner than later.

Well the whole community is almost built out except for homes on sand canyon side which has no lights.  The only lights in this village are located on the same streets with all the apartments.  Just saying.  Look at the numbers

Site 1: 00504128-PMP ? Murano  ? 628 Units   
            Site 2: 00504125-PMP ? Cadenza ? 262 Units
            Site 3: 00504119-PMP ? Veneto    ? 352 Units
            Site 4: 00504132-PMP ? Umbria    ? 435 Units

There are more apartments than houses just located on this street alone.  This is why there is a light.  Assuming they all are 8-5 workers....it would be a massive traffic jam if they all were leaving at the same time.

Either way the light is justified however calling it a major street that connects to major streets seems unfitting.  Maybe bad planning to put so much traffic within a mile from an elementary within a community?

Is this the negative of having a walkable school close to your home?

This is why we don't mind driving our kids to/from school, we can't control the actions of other people/drivers and kids are too young to be able to react properly to mishaps in driving.

I see drivers all the time oblivious to kids, even kids who get dropped off by their parents are still in danger by thoughtless drivers in the parking lot rushing to get in/out.

It's poor design. 
No lights inside any of the surrounding communities that are as large or larger with schools and apartments. 

Paris said:
test said:

The hospitals in Irvine are not trauma centers so EMS is required to take patients to the closest trauma center. Not sure why they didn't take him to UCI, maybe had to do with capacity that day.

This is more reaffirmation for my crazy idea of chaffering my boys to and from school until the day they go to college

This child was probably too sick for transport to a trauma center.
Unstable patients will always go to the nearest hospital.

Ready2Downsize said:

But taking Trabuco is much faster, there's only one signal light in between Jeffrey/Sand Canyon, no stop signs and much higher speed limit.

I guess somebody has all the time in the world. :)

It is proven that narrow street drivers slow down to not scratch his or her car. Curving the street is another technique to slow down speed. Contrary to belief the most dangerous streets are wide , straight and multiple lanes. Pavilion Park for example is deliberately curved to slow down the speeders going south from Portola Springs. Hence the idea the beak of the crane for the curved street and the round about being the head. One could make fun of the crane all you want but it symbolizes longevity to all nine year old kids. Other than Existing Irvine Blvd all proposed streets in the Great Park will create alertness to all drivers.

iacrenter said:
Paris said:
test said:

The hospitals in Irvine are not trauma centers so EMS is required to take patients to the closest trauma center. Not sure why they didn't take him to UCI, maybe had to do with capacity that day.

This is more reaffirmation for my crazy idea of chaffering my boys to and from school until the day they go to college

This child was probably too sick for transport to a trauma center.
Unstable patients will always go to the nearest hospital.

Not true. Hoag Irvine and Kaiser Irvine are literally down the street from this location. A hospital Unequipped to handle trauma will not accept this patient, there are no trauma surgeons on site. It's like an active heart attack patient who will always get routed to the nearest cath lab equipped hospital or stroke to a designated stroke center. The only exception to that is if you are a certain long distance from an equipped hospital. Protocol then is to stabilize as best as possible at the nearest facility and medicopter patient from there.

Back