Author Topic: Can Irvine become too Asian?  (Read 57681 times)

Offline MovingOnUp

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 9
  • -Received: 59
Re: Can Irvine become too Asian?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 05:01:26 PM »
Speaking of things becoming too asian in irvine, a close friends parents are opening a korean type sauna in Irvine...soft opening is the weekend of jan 23rd ish. However, they're trying to cater/make it friendly for non-koreans as well.

Check it out...don't know the exact name but it's somewhere on jamboree. It's the same owners as Beach Spa in Fullerton if you know what that is.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 515
  • -Received: 385
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
Speaking of things becoming too asian in irvine, a close friends parents are opening a korean type sauna in Irvine...soft opening is the weekend of jan 23rd ish. However, they're trying to cater/make it friendly for non-koreans as well.

Check it out...don't know the exact name but it's somewhere on jamboree. It's the same owners as Beach Spa in Fullerton if you know what that is.

That's awesome.  Definitely need a place like that here in Irvine.  Beach Spa is pretty good. 

Any place to get more info?  Also, make sure they have wifi :)

Offline irvinehomeshopper

• Thanks
  • -Given: 526
  • -Received: 954
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
This doesnt mean that one should completely forget who they are but things like saying hello to a neighbor, throwing trash in a trash can, caring about communal areas, respecting lines, and a general sense of courtesy can be absorbed. 

i walk my dogs twice a day, every day.  I would be rich if i got a dollar for every time i said hi and/or smile and get absolutely no response from the majority of asian people.  as if i was invisible.  white people that i come across on my walks tend to be more friendly. not sure if it is a race thing or not (i am mexican).  maybe they dont speak english and dont understand what im saying? indians are a close second.

Yes and no. Asians are racist, but they also don't say hello to each other.

And never to a Mexican especially. Why do you even want to live in a place when the population think of you as a dishwasher, landscaper or laborer?
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

Offline Panda

• "Live a life that will help others financially, spiritually, physically, and emotionally. Live a life that serves as an example of what an exceptional life could look like."
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 232
  • -Received: 301
    • Test Test  Test
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
..... but but but Panda is Korean but he's not like that :)

This doesnt mean that one should completely forget who they are but things like saying hello to a neighbor, throwing trash in a trash can, caring about communal areas, respecting lines, and a general sense of courtesy can be absorbed. 

i walk my dogs twice a day, every day.  I would be rich if i got a dollar for every time i said hi and/or smile and get absolutely no response from the majority of asian people.  as if i was invisible.  white people that i come across on my walks tend to be more friendly. not sure if it is a race thing or not (i am mexican).  maybe they dont speak english and dont understand what im saying? indians are a close second.

Why is that?

I personally say hello to everyone. But if I had to guess, here's my theory (for koreans only) on why they're not friendly to anyone, including other asians.

1) Not fluent and are embarassed, so they don't want to encourage you to keep talking.
2) They're racist, so they may think you're going to rob/harm them.
3) koreans like to stick together.
4) With strangers, we're not a, hey let's get to know each other type culture.
5) If they're rich, they fear new people are only friends with them to try to get a loan. This defense/unfriendliness naturally carries over into the walks.
6) In general, Koreans are rude.
7) In Seoul, millions of people walk by you on a daily basis so it's impossible to say hello. That transitions here when they see you walking by even if you're the only one, minus your dog.
8. Korean pride...no korean wants to be the first to say hello/submissive to another korean/asian first.

Personally I think it's a combination of all those things that make koreans unfriendly.

James Park, MBA
Johns Creek Realty Partners
Real Estate Broker & Principal
Loan Officer
CalBRE# 01894781, NMLS License # 1572291
Direct: (678) 865-6250
Email address: jpark@realwealthmanagement.com

Profile: https://www.biggerpockets.com/users/Panda

• Thanks
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »
Does the spa provides good endings like the other Irvine Spas?

"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

• Thanks
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »
It must be the humidity in Georgia.

Why is that?

I personally say hello to everyone. But if I had to guess, here's my theory (for koreans only) on why they're not friendly to anyone, including other asians.

1) Not fluent and are embarassed, so they don't want to encourage you to keep talking.
5) If they're rich, they fear new people are only friends with them to try to get a loan. This defense/unfriendliness naturally carries over into the walks.
7) In Seoul, millions of people walk by you on a daily basis so it's impossible to say hello. That transitions here when they see you walking by even if you're the only one, minus your dog.
8. Korean pride...no korean wants to be the first to say hello/submissive to another korean/asian first.

Personally I think it's a combination of all those things that make koreans unfriendly.

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 518
  • -Received: 266
  • Congrats to Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo wedding
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »
Definitely agree about Chinese food (but we go to SGV).   Wife does the Korean shopping in Garden Grove...Korean food is also much better there.
I have a slightly different view.  There seems to be a lot of mix couples in Irvine...especially white/asian.  This is pretty interesting because for a long time, Asian married other Asian.  Now, I see a lot of mixed couples in Irvine.  So I think there is going to be a good mix of races in Irvine (literally).

I'd like to recommend Ye-Dang in La Habra, try the Galbi Jim there.

As for interracial marriages, this article comes to mind:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/07/AR2009030701841.html

=========================

In America we have this artificial division of people into White Americans, Hispanic Americans, Afro Americans, Asian Americans, and Native Americans.  Traditionally Asian ethnic groups married within their own nationality.  The Pan-Asian identity of “Asian American” is a late 20th century invention.

In Taiwan, a Taiwanese-Cambodian couple would be considered multi-ethnic.  In America it’d be considered Asian American.  Recent trends have shown a decline in Asian and Hispanic interracial marriage rates, but an increase in Pan-Asian marriages within the Asian American community.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 515
  • -Received: 385
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »

Why is that?

Asian people have a more "leave me alone and I will leave you alone" view, at least from my prospective.  That's probably why Irvine fits them well. 

Offline Panda

• "Live a life that will help others financially, spiritually, physically, and emotionally. Live a life that serves as an example of what an exceptional life could look like."
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 232
  • -Received: 301
    • Test Test  Test
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 05:31:13 PM »
C'mon Trace, you know i can't answer that on TalkIrvine. If i told you that i'm already a millionaire I would be a self-absorbed, conceited, arrogant fool that Kayochan is sick of tired of meeting in the OC. We midwestern brothers can understand each other.

Regarding your real estate question. I called the county today to find what my property taxes would be for 2012, and the lady told at the tax assessor's office told me in the ball park $3200 - $3500 for the whole year? I asked her ... did you make a mistake and do i have to pay mello roos?  She answered, "I don't think so and what is mello roos? Are you sure you didn't make a mistake? Why? Do you want to pay more property taxes...? I just hung up the phone and smiled.... :)

... KIDS... Wife... We are going to the Bahamas.....

This is exactly why I find Irvine real estate model to be so fascinating. I clearly understand  the history and the demographics shifts of Irvine from 1980s, 90s etc.
As an investor I’ve learned that something is always moving. In the currency and commodity markets, one asset is becoming more and more undervalued while another asset is becoming overvalued. We are sort of seeing this right now with the dollar rising and Swiss and Euro moving the opposite direction. One bubble pops and another bubble forms elsewhere.

As a real estate investor, if you are able to correctly predict the following in an area and invest:
1)   Job growth – entrepreneurial soil for small businesses, low taxes, many Fortune 500 companies relocating head quarters to the area.
2)   Strong leadership in the city to attract technology companies and initiating to build a technology job center hub like the Irvine Spectrum.
3)   Excellent public schools with high schools ranked in the top 3% in the state.
4)   Upper middle class predominately white neighborhood where Asians families are starting to migrate in at a rapid pace.
5)   Fastest growing population in an area. Preferrably top 3-4 state population growth and MSA city growth from census 2000 – 2010.
6)             Homes in the area are undervalued and below rental parity. It is much cheaper to buy than to rent.

Invested wisely, you will become a millionaire in real estate in a very short of period…. Again… I emphasize only if you are correct with your predictions.

Are you a millionaire yet? Not being snarky, just wondering how the investments in Georgia are going.

And on the topic at hand...yes, definitely. Irvine is way too Asian.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:35:31 PM by Panda »
James Park, MBA
Johns Creek Realty Partners
Real Estate Broker & Principal
Loan Officer
CalBRE# 01894781, NMLS License # 1572291
Direct: (678) 865-6250
Email address: jpark@realwealthmanagement.com

Profile: https://www.biggerpockets.com/users/Panda

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 518
  • -Received: 266
  • Congrats to Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo wedding
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »
If anyone is interested in visiting an Asian spa/sauna, you can try Diamond Family Spa in Rowland Heights:
http://diamondfamilyspa.com
http://diamondfamilyspa.com/restaurant_menu.php

The facility is so-so but they do serve food and is open 24H on weekends.

• Thanks
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 06:06:59 PM »

Some of these fancy spas remind me of the 1980's spas in West Hollywood (Miami Vice glass blocks and plenty of neons). TIC should build these Asian spas in the rec center to attract more Asians.
If anyone is interested in visiting an Asian spa/sauna, you can try Diamond Family Spa in Rowland Heights:
http://diamondfamilyspa.com
http://diamondfamilyspa.com/restaurant_menu.php

The facility is so-so but they do serve food and is open 24H on weekends.

Online qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2326
  • -Received: 1447
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »

And never to a Mexican especially. Why do you even want to live in a place when the population think of you as a dishwasher, landscaper or laborer?

I think I'll have that problem in most places. You don't see many Mexicans living in what are considered the Nicer/safer parts of town. Part of me always wants to move back to Redondo beach, I felt more comfortable there than I do in irvine (in terms of fitting in). Right now we live in irvine because my wife works here and has a 15 minute commute, otherwise we would still be in Redondo.

• Thanks
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »
Convenience and proximity to business and family are valid reasons. Is it worth the emotional hurt being looked down on by Asians and local cops? Behind your back you know they are saying you are a "stupid Mexican" and your kid is the reason why their schools' API is not at 1,000.

I think I'll have that problem in most places. You don't see many Mexicans living in what are considered the Nicer/safer parts of town. Part of me always wants to move back to Redondo beach, I felt more comfortable there than I do in irvine (in terms of fitting in). Right now we live in irvine because my wife works here and has a 15 minute commute, otherwise we would still be in Redondo.

Online qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2326
  • -Received: 1447
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 07:38:38 PM »
Convenience and proximity to business and family are valid reasons. Is it worth the emotional hurt being looked down on by Asians and local cops? Behind your back you know they are saying you are a "stupid Mexican" and your kid is the reason why their schools' API is not at 1,000.

I actually dont care what those asians that i encounter on the walks think. I dont care what most people think about me.  and i have never been harassed by irvine cops other than to be told to put my small 9 pound dog on leash. there is no emotional hurt, i just wish people in irvine were friendlier.  im used to being the minority, from my days at USC, to public accounting to the corporate world, part of my success in my career is due to my ability to assmiliate. also, i tower over most of the irvine asians, if not all of them, so i at least got that over them ;-)  and i took one of their woman as my wife so she doesnt have to suffer through a lifetime of small pipi's :-)

Offline uciguy

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 6
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 12:21:53 AM »
Hey, the first really interesting thread on here in a while.  I spend a good deal of time walking my dogs around neighborhoods and trails in Irvine, and I usually try to interact, or at least smile and acknowledge, the people I come across.  I have meet a handful of recently immigrated Asians (just guessing based on language difficulties when chatting with them) that say hello to me or will otherwise interact.  However, I'd guess that I see four or five times as many that cross to the other side of the street/trail and refuse to make eye contact as they pass by me.  I've always been curious if that reaction was due to my dogs, or a general desire to stay the heck away from me.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Lakers News by jmoney74
[Today at 02:39:04 PM]

Re: Lakers News by eyephone
[Today at 02:36:27 PM]

Re: 2017-2018 Property Tax Bills are out! by jmoney74
[Today at 02:25:42 PM]