• Mandatory in-office

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Quitting or looking because of in-office

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
OCtoSV said:
My career would be nowhere if I didn't prioritize F2F interaction with senior execs, all of whom have come back and we are trying to lead by example.

Prioritizing lifestyle over career will be noticed and not rewarded. But no one will mind WFH on Fridays. All about striking the right balance.

I agree with part of this - face to face time is valuable and it's about balance. I will personally be doing 3-4 days a week in the office, with much more flexibility to WFH as needed.

But - prioritizing lifestyle over career is a false choice to me. I received the feedback that I was more productive and effective during COVID. Why? I was able to sleep more, exercise more, and spend more time with family (often virtually, but still). More time spent on my "lifestyle" translated into better productivity and outcomes at work!

Another factor is you were already established and held in high regard prior to covid wfh then wfh in the future will probably impact that person less than someone new to the company

I view WFH as more similar to not working in the HQ.

You can still be influential but have to put more strategic effort into it as you don?t have the casual exposure.  As the exec teams adapt, it potentially could be really empowering and field leveling for regional office players. 

In the transitional period, you have increased exposure to being collateral damage.  If you?re #1 or #2 on a org of 100, you?ll be fine, but the decision will be made at the aggregate level.  Really impactful at the mid level down, IMO.

As orgs adapt, that mid-level in Kansas is just as viable as the mid-level locally if the job goes full WFH. Even one day a week in office, keeps the job pool local.  The squeeze comes when orgs update their mindset from FTE headcount to $$$/org delivery.

The Hill Article: Two dead, four hospitalized in COVID-19 outbreak at Florida government building

Two people died and four were hospitalized after a coronavirus outbreak at a government building in Florida.
Manatee County Administrator Scott Hopes told CNN that the outbreak began in the IT department, and six people ended up being infected.

The one exposed employee in the department who was vaccinated did not get infected, the administrator said.
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...-hospitalized-in-covid-19-outbreak-at-florida

This maybe the new normal at workplaces.

Florida:  natural selection incubator

eyephone said:
The Hill Article: Two dead, four hospitalized in COVID-19 outbreak at Florida government building

Two people died and four were hospitalized after a coronavirus outbreak at a government building in Florida.
Manatee County Administrator Scott Hopes told CNN that the outbreak began in the IT department, and six people ended up being infected.

The one exposed employee in the department who was vaccinated did not get infected, the administrator said.
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...-hospitalized-in-covid-19-outbreak-at-florida

I was also much more productive WFH from a "work output" perspective, however a big part of my role is mentoring my team to become the closer that I am (JK) and doing intense interpersonal communication over Zoom/Webex is EXHAUSTING. Even for a sw developer or hw designer you need to be in the lab with others to bounce ideas when debugging - that is how true breakthoughs happen. I think functions like finance and procurement can be almost totally remote however if you aspire to being anything other than a valued IC facetime with senior leaders is required.

Everyone loves the freedom of WFH, but it is the rare individual that is able to sustain a career without the stress of being on the outside looking in while working completely remote. That stress to me is greater than the stress of driving to/from the office (~30 mins for me)

Do you think HR will check if people are vaccinated? So this may happen. (an assumption for conversational purposes)

freedomcm said:
Florida:  natural selection incubator

eyephone said:

aquabliss said:
WTTCHMN said:
Do Chance Meetings at the Office Boost Innovation? There?s No Evidence of It.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/23/upshot/remote-work-innovation-office.html

Don't you guys ever just stand up and whiteboard things out in a meeting?  This is completely not the same to try and do virtual whiteboarding.  Sitting there with your colleagues using a marker and a board in real time is a much more positive experience.
Not having a whiteboard is definitely one thing that I miss about going to an office. But I've adapted to use PPT to use shapes and arrows to show/discuss architecture. Sure it's not as great as drawing on a white board, but it works. In the end, we do need to have the diagrams drawn digitally anyway.

aquabliss said:
WTTCHMN said:
Do Chance Meetings at the Office Boost Innovation? There?s No Evidence of It.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/23/upshot/remote-work-innovation-office.html

Don't you guys ever just stand up and whiteboard things out in a meeting?  This is completely not the same to try and do virtual whiteboarding.  Sitting there with your colleagues using a marker and a board in real time is a much more positive experience.

It's getting pretty close with the online tools. And with virtual whiteboarding, you can screen cap and add to documents (unless you have one of those tech whiteboards that can do that in your conference room or you just old school camera phone it).

I had several key moments of F2F collaboration last week with one of the new people I hired over the pandemic, and the value both of us and the company received from being in the office together was incredibly high. One of our execs took us out for an incredible Indian lunch Friday as well.

Get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged

OCtoSV said:
I had several key moments of F2F collaboration last week with one of the new people I hired over the pandemic, and the value both of us and the company received from being in the office together was incredibly high. One of our execs took us out for an incredible Indian lunch Friday as well.

Get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged

Brag about company free company lunch? I was like that when I first got a job.

no, just relating the value of being in the office. I bought lunch last time we got together before returning.

Same here, we went backwards last week because of Delta. I don?t see us going back before October and even then it will only be 1 day a week.

Back