Work in office or remote?

What kind of position do you prefer?

• Work in office

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Work remote

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Hybrid office (more office., some remote)

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Hybrid remote (more remote, some office)

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
What many people don't realize is the comp figures are based on the geo market comp averages, not cost of living. When I interview people from outside the Bay area I am always amazed at how low their salary ask is.

morekaos said:
Endgame....

Not in my micro view... The Great Resignation is seeing the execs fold to demands for WFH... it cost way more to replace someone (esp a tenured worker) than to keep them (moreso if they are at home and don't require office space).

Caveat: This is more for tech/engineering types.

irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
Endgame....

Not in my micro view... The Great Resignation is seeing the execs fold to demands for WFH... it cost way more to replace someone (esp a tenured worker) than to keep them (moreso if they are at home and don't require office space).

When unemployment reaches 8% the WFH calculus may change.

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
Endgame....

Is this another one of these LL crystal ball moments that will shift later on? :)

Sure... things can change, but I view WFH like that genie that is out of the bottle.

Prior to Covid, people really wanted to WFH but were told they couldn't because of various reasons... infrastructure, type of job, lack of support, etc etc.

But when Covid forced people to WFH and they could actually still do their jobs (some less productive, some more productive) and then the staunch in-office people found out how much nice it was to WFH... it's very hard to go back.

If I could rewind time, and be WFH while my kids were younger... I would definitely do that without a second thought... I would seek out those type of jobs or push my current job to allow it.

Now I know why all our salespeople were "remote"... but also confirmed why everyone was so jealous of them.

I remember back before Covid when you hear those remote people talk about "Oh... but it's better to be in office", but ask them to stop being remote and they clam up.

The poll says it all... more people prefer remote (again, this also depends on what kind of job you have).

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
Endgame....

Is this another one of these LL crystal ball moments that will shift later on? :)

Sure... things can change, but I view WFH like that genie that is out of the bottle.

Prior to Covid, people really wanted to WFH but were told they couldn't because of various reasons... infrastructure, type of job, lack of support, etc etc.

But when Covid forced people to WFH and they could actually still do their jobs (some less productive, some more productive) and then the staunch in-office people found out how much nice it was to WFH... it's very hard to go back.

If I could rewind time, and be WFH while my kids were younger... I would definitely do that without a second thought... I would seek out those type of jobs or push my current job to allow it.

Now I know why all our salespeople were "remote"... but also confirmed why everyone was so jealous of them.

I remember back before Covid when you hear those remote people talk about "Oh... but it's better to be in office", but ask them to stop being remote and they clam up.

The poll says it all... more people prefer remote (again, this also depends on what kind of job you have).

All I'm saying is right now employees have a lot of leverage, but when people are in fear of losing their jobs that leverage goes away.

I started working from home pre-pandemic and I would never want to go back to commuting and working in a dull, drab, gray office, so I can definitely sympathize with how these workers feel.  At some point, management will regain leverage on this issue and we'll see what happens.

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
Endgame....

All I'm saying is right now employees have a lot of leverage, but when people are in fear of losing their jobs that leverage goes away.

I started working from home pre-pandemic and I would never want to go back to commuting and working in a dull, drab, gray office, so I can definitely sympathize with how these workers feel.  At some point, management will regain leverage on this issue and we'll see what happens.

From what I've heard from clients, the larger companies will probably want their employees to mostly come back to the office but small companies from the start-ups to mid-sized companies will be mostly WFH and use that as a job benefit to lure employees from the big companies.  I think it'll be a hybrid WFH world going forward.

Now they have a new excuse...or maybe just a bitch... ;D ;D >:D

'I can't come to the office because of inflation!': Remote workers now claim skyrocketing cost of gas and childcare under Biden administration is making it too expensive for them to commute as they fight to work from home
Remote work proponents are blaming inflation for their need to stay home
Companies looking for workers to return to the office have been met with push-back from workers who claim their daily office routine is now too expensive
Workers have cited gas prices, now at an average of $4.33 per gallon, and increased childcare costs as reasons to stay home
They also allege eating at work is now too expensive due to food cost increases
Consumer prices reached 8.5 percent last month, nearly double what were in March 2021, and the highest inflation rate the U.S. has seen since 1981
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/20/business/return-to-office-inflation-covid.html

?of course it is!?
;D ;D >:D
Ending WFH is 'RACIST'! Apple staff tell CEO Tim Cook that forcing them back to the office will make tech firm 'younger, whiter and more male-dominated'

'Apple Together,' a group of about 200 Apple employees, wrote an open letter on Friday condemning the company's choice to bring staffers back to its offices
CEO Tim Cook wrote in an email to staffers that they would need to work in the office one day a week, gradually ramping up to three days a week by mid-May
The group said that the shift back to in-person will make the company 'younger, whiter, more male-dominated, more neuro-normative [and] more able-bodied'
They said it will lead to 'privileges' - like location, age, race and gender - 'deciding who can work for Apple, not who'd be the best fit'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...son-lead-whiter-male-dominated-workforce.html

At least they didn't write an letter to Tim Cook that returning to office is anti LGBTQ+...

morekaos said:
?of course it is!?
;D ;D >:D
Ending WFH is 'RACIST'! Apple staff tell CEO Tim Cook that forcing them back to the office will make tech firm 'younger, whiter and more male-dominated'

'Apple Together,' a group of about 200 Apple employees, wrote an open letter on Friday condemning the company's choice to bring staffers back to its offices
CEO Tim Cook wrote in an email to staffers that they would need to work in the office one day a week, gradually ramping up to three days a week by mid-May
The group said that the shift back to in-person will make the company 'younger, whiter, more male-dominated, more neuro-normative [and] more able-bodied'
They said it will lead to 'privileges' - like location, age, race and gender - 'deciding who can work for Apple, not who'd be the best fit'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...son-lead-whiter-male-dominated-workforce.html

I am shocked there are that many idiots working at Apple.  Does "more neuro-normative" mean less crazy and entitled?  If so, I am all for it. 

A group of 200 Apple employees sounds like a lot on the news headline, but is it really?

Considering Apple has over 150,000 employees....That's 0.01%.

You can always find 0.01% people with extreme views in any group that size.

Tech remote work is getting politicized now mostly because tech employees tend to be predominantly liberal when it comes to politics.

Apple is on the extreme end of that spectrum, with 97.5% percent of employee donations going to Dems.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/31/18039528/tech-employees-politics-liberal-employers-candidates

Kenkoko said:
A group of 200 Apple employees sounds like a lot on the news headline, but is it really?

That's because it's not actual news headline.

Whenever you see a post from moretroll, you can be assured that it's from his source of misinformation: dailyfail

Get your butt back in a chair?recess is over?

Remote work is no longer acceptable': Elon Musk tells Tesla staff they face being fired unless they do 40 hours in the office before working from home

Tesla CEO Elon Musk told executive staff at the company they must work for at least 40 hours per week in the office 'or depart Tesla'
He sent in email with miss-spelt subject line 'remote work is no longer acceptble'
Musk said working in office for 40 hours is 'less than we ask of factory workers'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-staff-face-fired-unless-40-hours-office.html

Back