Work in office or remote?

What kind of position do you prefer?

• Work in office

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Work remote

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Hybrid office (more office., some remote)

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Hybrid remote (more remote, some office)

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
OCtoSV said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
The California Court Company said:
Higher gas, company returning to office, there could be a shift in demand; more people would want to move closer to work.

OCtoSV said:
If Russia shuts the gas to Europe and the US moves forward with a Russian oil embargo, which seems to be the news this a.m., this thread will be interesting to track over the next 12-18 mo.

Or more people will look to work at companies that offer a work from home option.

I respect your guys' opinions but this is a fast moving topic as well. The big companies up here want people back, and remote workers that moved out of the area i.e. true remote will see a rapid reversal of tolerance for the practice, and perhaps even be forced into renting apts near the office to satisfy corp reqs (worst case scenario that I've seen too many co-workers have to endure that tried to make remote work prior). Perhaps Twitter for those that absolutely must WFH:
https://deadline.com/2022/03/apple-google-twitter-set-return-to-work-policies-1234972162/

I personally have been mulling the move down south for over a year, and it would be hugely accretive to my retirement fund, however the broader my network grows and the more senior my role and those I interact with become lead me to 2 observations: 1) actual tangible visibility to exec mgt matters until you've reached the level you feel you have maxed out at; 2) it would be career suicide for me to go remote in terms of taking myself out of the local pool of talent, where RSUs can be dictated by location but also new opptys seem to appear out of thin air if you nurture your network.

I moved this quote here due to relevancy.

I think this depends.

Younger people who started working in a remote environment may just prefer it overall and if there is demand from talent to be remote, companies will have to provide that option.

Then there are the older experienced people who always worked in office but then got used to remove from Covid... and don't want to go back. That will also make companies have to keep that in mind.

Add to that the benefits of lower office cost, more agile workforce (in theory) and I think it's too late to put the WFH genie back in the bottle.

At a smaller company, a local office is fine... but when you work for a larger one, and everyone is all over anyways... a need for a conference room or to meet clients is probably all the space required.

As much as I was a proponent for onsite work only... if your department/team/whatever/position can function remotely, why go back in?

irvinehomeowner said:
As much as I was a proponent for onsite work only... if your department/team/whatever/position can function remotely, why go back in?

Because your spouse doesn't want you working at home anymore  ;D

paydawg said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Because your spouse doesn't want you working at home anymore  ;D

Well, my wife wants me to work at home because then I could help wash and cut the vegetables for her.  ;D

Didn't Twitter say work from wherever you want.  We went in 1 day a week for a month or so in Sept/Oct, then the whole team went remote again.  I can see us doing a 1 day a week thing or maybe every couple of weeks, no one on our team wants to go in. 

Large multinational generally don?t have a good argument to go back into the office other than ?that?s what we are used to?. Clearly remote works.

Damn I hate agreeing with IHO.

We're being called back later this month, but in a smaller building. Company quit their big leased office for a less expensive one nearby. The hybrid work environment will be here to stay, certainly when it's $6.00 per gallon to commute, and commercial real estate PPSF stays as high as it is. It makes zero financial sense to do otherwise.

sleepy5136 said:
OCtoSV said:

If this does become the norm for companies in the near future, watch out for RE prices in areas like TX, AZ, etc. Ppl literally moved out of SV to avoid HCOL.

People been moving to AZ for years, way before the pandemic. Lots of businesses are going there, chip companies, EV, amazon, etc. That increase in population because of jobs has led to increased household formation.

qwerty said:
Large multinational generally don?t have a good argument to go back into the office other than ?that?s what we are used to?. Clearly remote works.

Damn I hate agreeing with IHO.

We are ab brothers after all.

Ready2Downsize said:
sleepy5136 said:
OCtoSV said:

If this does become the norm for companies in the near future, watch out for RE prices in areas like TX, AZ, etc. Ppl literally moved out of SV to avoid HCOL.

People been moving to AZ for years, way before the pandemic. Lots of businesses are going there, chip companies, EV, amazon, etc. That increase in population because of jobs has led to increased household formation.
The pandemic has led to folks living in HCOL to move to lower cost of living areas.

I think a lot of companies who will remain remote and/or mostly remote will be looked upon favorably by employees.

My company went almost the full circle.

From  full remote -> hybrid -> management pushing everyone back into the office -> huge pushback from employees -> back to hybrid -> now 90% remote

I think remote is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Kenkoko said:

From  full remote -> hybrid -> management pushing everyone back into the office -> huge pushback from employees -> back to hybrid -> now 90% remote

I think this it will play out this way for a lot of companies. Not sure what the catalyst would be to get people back into the office.  I probably work more because I work from home than I would if had to go to the office.

Kenkoko said:

My company did this:

March 2020 - May 2020 - full remote
May 2020 - July 2020 - 25% (team A go in for 2 weeks, then team B for 2 weeks, etc.)
July 2020 - July 2021 - 50% (teams A/B go in for 2 weeks, then teams C/D for 2 weeks)
July 2021 - Jan 2022 - full office
Jan 2022 - Last Friday - 50% again due to Omicron
This Monday - ??? - full office again

No pushback from employees because our CEO was having none of that.  :p We have vaccine mandate, so probably 98%+ of the employees are fully vaccinated + boosted. We had to upload proof of vaccination to internal website.

A friend of mine is involved in office space planning for her company and she and her team wants to stay remote so she doesn't know how to tell her company that she doesn't need an office or team area.

She's asking for a team huddle room that other teams can use as it will only be used several times a month (if that).

Welcome back!!?what no bidet??. ;D ;D >:D

Irate Google workers lash out at execs for cutting WFH staff salaries during heated town hall meeting - while those returning to tech titan's California HQ are furious the BIDETS are being removed from restrooms

Google execs faced a barrage of compensation questions at recent town hall
Employee satisfaction with compensation plunged in recent internal survey
Google has been adjusting salaries to match local markets for remote workers
Meanwhile, staff returning to HQ are upset that bidets are disappearing
The luxurious bathroom perk runs afoul of Google's efforts to conserve water
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-lash-compensation-removal-office-bidets.html

morekaos said:
Welcome back!!?what no bidet??. ;D ;D >:D

Irate Google workers lash out at execs for cutting WFH staff salaries during heated town hall meeting - while those returning to tech titan's California HQ are furious the BIDETS are being removed from restrooms

Google execs faced a barrage of compensation questions at recent town hall
Employee satisfaction with compensation plunged in recent internal survey
Google has been adjusting salaries to match local markets for remote workers
Meanwhile, staff returning to HQ are upset that bidets are disappearing
The luxurious bathroom perk runs afoul of Google's efforts to conserve water
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-lash-compensation-removal-office-bidets.html

Oh the humanity!!!

Bay Area moving to OC can expect minimum 25% comp cut, probably more like 40-50% when factoring in promotion inertia

Back