Wood or Carpet Floors in Bedrooms

SubSolar said:
Perspective said:
SubSolar said:
Hardwood throughout. Carpet is great for a year, then if you have pets or kids looks trashed rather quickly. More dust and allergies with carpet too.

Yep. However, if you like carpet, you can replace a nice quality carpet every 2-3 years for a decade and still spend less than a nice hardwood floor once. So there's that.

But do people actually do that. Seems like a lot of work to move everything.

No. They don't. They live with worn dirty carpet. However, I have a friend who would replace the carpet on his stairs and upstairs hallways ever 2-3 years. He had three young kids and a dog during this period and even nice durable carpet looks terrible in high traffic areas quickly under these conditions.

I think how good your carpet looks after 2-3 years depends on various things: color/type of carpet, shoes on or off in the house, pets, family lifestyle, cleanings, etc.

bones said:
I think how good your carpet looks after 2-3 years depends on various things: color/type of carpet, shoes on or off in the house, pets, family lifestyle, cleanings, etc.

Based on these factors, a carpet can last for a LONG time.  We have a darker gray carpet, shoes are not allowed in the house, we don't allow food past the kitchen/dining areas, no pets, and we regularly clean.  I'm pretty certain our carpet will last a long time. 

We also intially debated between hardwood floors and carpet for the master bedroom, stairs and upstairs hallway.  We are SO glad we went with carpet.  Much more comfortable and less noisy!

If you have a good quality carpet, regular cleaning and care will keep it looking new for years, but I think we've replaced ours about every 5-6 years.

We mainly only carpet the stairs and up and that's usually no shoes.

We didn't want to spend any time cleaning carpets, and we didn't have money for hardwood floors, so we chose linoleum for the stairs and up. 

Not recommended for the stairs.  They are too slippery.

DrTravel said:
I'm sure everybody has an opinion on this! Please share what you think is best for resale and what is best for actual living in the home.

In terms of resale, hardwood in the bedroom will not get seller more money but it will show better and give the home more of upgrade feel than carpet. 

In terms of everyday use, it's probably more of personal preference.  But since most people already have hardwood in the first floor, what's a little more wood in the bedroom. :)

Looks wise, I think hardwood floor in the bedroom just looks better than carpet. 

Mid-century-modern-home-with-wooden-floor-bedroom-white-bedroom-design-creative-combination-wood-and-glass-wall-and-cool-ceiling-lamp.jpg

lnc said:
DrTravel said:
I'm sure everybody has an opinion on this! Please share what you think is best for resale and what is best for actual living in the home.

In terms of resale, hardwood in the bedroom will not get seller more money but it will show better and give the home more of upgrade feel than carpet. 

In terms of everyday use, it's probably more of personal preference.  But since most people already have hardwood in the first floor, what's a little more wood in the bedroom. :)

Looks wise, I think hardwood floor in the bedroom just looks better than carpet. 

Mid-century-modern-home-with-wooden-floor-bedroom-white-bedroom-design-creative-combination-wood-and-glass-wall-and-cool-ceiling-lamp.jpg

That desk and chair are way too close to the bed.  And where are the nightstands?  I advocate function over form in this case.  Especially the bedroom!

That has to be a picture of a high-end hotel room somewhere.  I'd go mad if I had that desk where it was. 

Given the door hardware, this must be some place in Europe where people have smaller homes.  Otherwise, there is no excuse for putting a desk in the master.

Back