Wood or Carpet Floors in Bedrooms

We're doing wood everywhere, excluding baths and the laundry room. We were concerned about slipping with wood on the stairs, but these oil finished hardwood floors aren't as slippery as the old shiny hardwood styles. Plus, I really can't take how terrible carpet looks very quickly (with one year?) on stairs.

A couple painters quoted higher prices to change from Dunn Edwards to premium Sherwin Williams - makes you wonder why.

Goriot said:
Here's another pic (different angle and light). We're paying Irvine Pacific $40K to do this hardwood everywhere (including stairs), except the 4.5 baths in a 2,693 sq ft house. We considered doing it after COE and received a $27K quote.

So you are paying $13,000 more for it + $40,000 x 1% PT = $400 per year additional pmt by going with a builder?  Flooring takes less then a week to put in.  Were you concerned with the warranty as you are doing these flooring throughout?
[/quote]

We wanted it done at close, perfectly. I never got a good feeling visiting these flooring retailers. I know if anything's not perfect, I can call Irvine Pacific. I was also concerned about warranty issues. We're taking the hardwood into the kitchen. Hopefully if there's a leak causing damage, we'll have some recourse.

Perspective said:
Goriot said:
Here's another pic (different angle and light). We're paying Irvine Pacific $40K to do this hardwood everywhere (including stairs), except the 4.5 baths in a 2,693 sq ft house. We considered doing it after COE and received a $27K quote.

So you are paying $13,000 more for it + $40,000 x 1% PT = $400 per year additional pmt by going with a builder?  Flooring takes less then a week to put in.  Were you concerned with the warranty as you are doing these flooring throughout?

We wanted it done at close, perfectly. I never got a good feeling visiting these flooring retailers. I know if anything's not perfect, I can call Irvine Pacific. I was also concerned about warranty issues. We're taking the hardwood into the kitchen. Hopefully if there's a leak causing damage, we'll have some recourse.
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you only get a 1-year warranty for that?

Perspective said:
We're doing wood everywhere, excluding baths and the laundry room. We were concerned about slipping with wood on the stairs, but these oil finished hardwood floors aren't as slippery as the old shiny hardwood styles. Plus, I really can't take how terrible carpet looks very quickly (with one year?) on stairs.

A couple painters quoted higher prices to change from Dunn Edwards to premium Sherwin Williams - makes you wonder why.

Contractors get the greatest discount from Dunn Edwards, that's why so many use it. It isn't because it's high quality, Consumer Reports previously had them pretty middle of the pack and well below, if I remember correctly, the paint at either big box home improvement store.

When you change paint, you cut their profit margin and they need to increase to maintain.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Perspective said:
Goriot said:

[/quote]

Ugh. The quoting is atrocious but too hard to fix on phone. But to answer USCTs question, we got wood floors fixed (replaced) by builder due to plumbing leak 2+ years after COE.  But to be fair, the leak was their fault so I'm pretty sure they would have replaced my wood floors even if an outside contractor installed them.

Perspective - I got a quote to paint our house (3000 sq ft) for $2500 by the ex foreman for William Lyon who was overseeing the painting. Our neighbors had used him to paint their baseboards after they put in wood floors. We used him as well for the same purpose. We then brought him back to touch up the bathroom after we remodeled it. Let me know if you ant his contact info.

Goriot said:
I was thinking Pravada (below), but I might consider those DM floors based on the photos.
http://www.pravadafloors.com/DUVAL.htmlhttp://www.pravadafloors.com/BRULE.html

I am planning to do - Wood flooring throughout including the laundry room and the loft, porcelain tiles/marble in the bathrooms, and carpets on all the rooms and closets.

Those Pravada looks really good. 

Actually I've Pravada through out the house too and I really like them.  I have Silhouette on the stair and entire first floor, Graphite on the master, and mix between Organza and Graphite in kids rooms like the pic below.

Attachments

• Room 4.jpg
    Room 4.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 190
qwerty said:
Perspective - I got a quote to paint our house (3000 sq ft) for $2500 by the ex foreman for William Lyon who was overseeing the painting. Our neighbors had used him to paint their baseboards after they put in wood floors. We used him as well for the same purpose. We then brought him back to touch up the bathroom after we remodeled it. Let me know if you ant his contact info.

Thanks. I reserved with JQ Paint yesterday for a little more than that. They were the middle bid and have a lot of good Yelp reviews. They also didn't recoil, like the other two, when I asked if a paint other than Dunn Edwards was possible.

bones said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Perspective said:
Goriot said:

Ugh. The quoting is atrocious but too hard to fix on phone. But to answer USCTs question, we got wood floors fixed (replaced) by builder due to plumbing leak 2+ years after COE.  But to be fair, the leak was their fault so I'm pretty sure they would have replaced my wood floors even if an outside contractor installed them.
[/quote]

Right. There are no warranties and hard warranties; and then there are "soft" warranties.

We probably are near one extreme and completed many premium-priced upgrades with the builder that most buyers don't. We have a friend buying in Baker Ranch at the other extreme - demolishing counters, cabinets, flooring, etc. in a new house and upgrading after COE.

I just received our appraisal, and two Strada comps spent nearly the same in design center upgrades.

Those Pravada looks really good. 

Actually I've Pravada through out the house too and I really like them.  I have Silhouette on the stair and entire first floor, Graphite on the master, and mix between Organza and Graphite in kids rooms like the pic below.
[/quote]

Thanks for the photo.  Do you also happen to have a wider angle shot of the Silhouette in the living area? I have Provenza right now, but Pravada seems to have a cleaner look.  I might consider Silhouette or Graphite.  Going to check out the showroom to check the flooring out. 

btw, at your earliest convenience, please PM me the contractor you used for your flooring.  Thx!

Carpet.  Aesthetically it looks more inviting for bedrooms.  Practically, even with insulation, I still hear my kid stomping around up there, would be worse if it was hardwood.  Carpet is easier to replace. 

I have lived in carpeted rooms and wood flooring rooms. Personally, I prefer wood (no dust, easy cleaning, no stains). I do agree with other posters that it can get noisy. You drop smallest things and it can sound like big deal in the next room/downstairs.

The only pros with hardwood floors is they look so much better than carpet, and they're so much easier to clean and keep clean. They're also versatile because you can add and change rugs wherever you desire.

Hardwood throughout. Carpet is great for a year, then if you have pets or kids looks trashed rather quickly. More dust and allergies with carpet too.

SubSolar said:
Hardwood throughout. Carpet is great for a year, then if you have pets or kids looks trashed rather quickly. More dust and allergies with carpet too.

Yep. However, if you like carpet, you can replace a nice quality carpet every 2-3 years for a decade and still spend less than a nice hardwood floor once. So there's that.

Perspective said:
SubSolar said:

Yep. However, if you like carpet, you can replace a nice quality carpet every 2-3 years for a decade and still spend less than a nice hardwood floor once. So there's that.

But do people actually do that. Seems like a lot of work to move everything.

Back