Windows 7?

[quote author="JVNA" date=1257492542][quote author="Nude" date=1257491432]They killed the quick launch area so I had to improvise.</blockquote>

I don't have Win7 or have tried it yet. But I have read about the removal of the quick launch. Here's a workaround that I read someone posted.

A workaround for the quick launch is to create a folder in the root of C: (we called it QuickLaunch) and put links there to all the programs you would normally put in the Quick Launch. Then right-click the taskbar, choose Toolbars, New Toolbar and direct it to the folder in the root of C:. We then move this toolbar over against the Start Menu so it's in the same position as the Quick Launch.</blockquote>

That might have worked, but I like my new shiny rocketdock ;)

In the "WTF were they thinking" department, in the process of trying to make the background of my favorite gadget transparent I have discovered that Microsoft decided that the default image area used by gadgets would be a nice shade of magenta. The problem is that it reveals itself if you have no image or a transparent image and IT CANNOT BE TURNED OFF... which has me fuming. I mean, I understand the need for it when placing objects or in the design phase of GUI development, but really... did they honestly think no one would want a invisible box to hold some text? Sure, there's a work around, but who wants to spend six months learning html when all you need is an invisible box?

/rant

After all that...

Right-click on the taskbar, select Toolbars, then New Toolbar, then either navigate to or paste this <span style="color: red;">C:UsersYourUserNameAppDataRoamingMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch</span> (substituting your actual user name where it says YourUserName) into the address bar, and then click "Select Folder". From there you can move Your new Quick Launch section back into it's customary position and add any other shortcuts you would like.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1258447776]hahaha

<a href="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+7+quicklaunch&l=1">YOU DIDN'T TRY THIS?</a></blockquote>

Where do you think I found the answer ;)

Seven Forums is an awesome resource, but like all forums, you have to weed through the same questions being asked 16 times.

[quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1256617649]

One, Macs have no low end options. In a 5-second search, the lowest price desktop Mac was $1200 and the lowest priced laptop was $1000. I can get a PC desktop for $400 and a laptop for $400-$500. Obviously, we are not comparing apples to apples with respect to specs but computers have gotten to a point where one does not need the latest and fastest. Most people are perfectly happy with mid-level specs. Also, if one wants to buy a computer for kids or simply to have one, the Mac is simply too expensive.

Second, Macs are about 25-30 percent more expensive than comparable PCs. Why would I want a a computer that has basically the same parts (Intel chip, same video card makers) for 25-30 percent more? Macs often have "cool" side gadgets like firewire and webcams but most people can live without them (or get them separately).

2) Inflexibility: Apples are made by one company while there are a number of large brand assemblers of PC (not to mention the hundreds of independent local computer assemblers). Heck I could assemble a PC by going to fry's and an afternoon of my life (did that a number of times when I had more time). I can exchange/swap out parts to get a faster computer without having to buy a whole new one.

3) Universality: 90 percent (plus?) of the world runs PC/Windows and thus file exchanges and software uses are much easier for PC users. Yes, Macs "run" windows programs (like word/office) but does not do a very good job. I do not have to buy a whole new set of software when I buy a new PC...I can use the ones I had before.

4) The one button mouse: One button? Really? Instead of having different buttons to do different task, Macs simply lumps them for one button (i.e. drag and hold to save a file v. right clicking). Works as well as BMW's iDrive (one button to do everything).

<snip>

</blockquote>

I've used computers since the TRS-80 days, and will just say that the computer is just a tool to get the job done. As long as it gets what you need done, it doesn't really matter if it runs Windows, OS X, Linux, or whatever. I have 2 desktops, 1 server, and 2 laptops in the house running XP, Vista, Win7, Ubuntu Linux, plus OS X on a MacBook. I'm a hobby iPhone developer.

Macs cost 20%-30% above comparable brand-name PC's, and much much more above the low-end PC's. If you see computers as disposable electronics devices, the $300 desktops at Fry's will serve you just fine. If it breaks in few years you just buy a replacement. Apple is like a cult and buying into the cult has its own benefits. If anything goes wrong, you take it back to the Apple store and they will take care of it -- just make sure you buy the Apple Care package.

Although the majority of the workplace use windows, data exchange with Mac is usually not an issue. E-mail is e-mail and web browsing and web browsing. If you need MS Office compatibility, you can get Office for Mac or just download OpenOffice for free. I use a wireless 2-button Microsoft mouse with my Mac and it works just like Windows.

Go to Mission Viejo mall and look at the Microsoft Store. Apple is a company that sets trends for others to follow. Windows has copied from Mac OS for decades, and Vista/Windows 7 is no exception. The Microsoft Store looks like a bad clone of the Apple store, down to the employee dress and genius bar.

If someone asked me what computer he/she should buy, I'd tell them to get a Macbook because if they have any problems, I can just send them to the local Apple store with computer in hand.

[quote author="Nude" date=1258445443]After all that...

Right-click on the taskbar, select Toolbars, then New Toolbar, then either navigate to or paste this <span style="color: red;">C:UsersYourUserNameAppDataRoamingMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch</span> (substituting your actual user name where it says YourUserName) into the address bar, and then click "Select Folder". From there you can move Your new Quick Launch section back into it's customary position and add any other shortcuts you would like.</blockquote>

Hey... I pretty much mentioned that method a few posts up. But I didn't mention how to change the color.

[quote author="JVNA" date=1258460532][quote author="Nude" date=1258445443]After all that...

Right-click on the taskbar, select Toolbars, then New Toolbar, then either navigate to or paste this <span style="color: red;">C:UsersYourUserNameAppDataRoamingMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch</span> (substituting your actual user name where it says YourUserName) into the address bar, and then click "Select Folder". From there you can move Your new Quick Launch section back into it's customary position and add any other shortcuts you would like.</blockquote>

Hey... I pretty much mentioned that method a few posts up. But I didn't mention how to change the color.</blockquote>
You did mention a method, but this one uses the one created on install, rather than a workaround.

[quote author="Nude" date=1258471924][quote author="JVNA" date=1258460532][quote author="Nude" date=1258445443]After all that...

Hey... I pretty much mentioned that method a few posts up. But I didn't mention how to change the color.</blockquote>
You did mention a method, but this one uses the one created on install, rather than a workaround.</blockquote>

ahh.. ok.

Back