Windows 7?

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to Microsoft's latest offering for Windows? I am pretty happy with XP and never "upgraded" to Vista. My inclination is to save to the $120 and stay with XP until I get a new computer.

BTW: Just to stir up a hornet's nest: MACs ARE NOT BETTER!!! Better commercials but not a better operating system. Have a nice day :)

[quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1256613364] My inclination is to save to the $120...</blockquote>

Mr. SoCal attended the <a href="http://www.techspot.com/news/35858-attend-microsoft-event-for-free-copy-of-windows-7.html">Microsoft event</a> in Orange today because they were giving out Windows 7 for freeeeeee!

[quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1256613364]

BTW: Just to stir up a hornet's nest: MACs ARE NOT BETTER!!! Better commercials but not a better operating system. Have a nice day :)</blockquote>

Don't know where to start. Please define 'better', your definition was not in my Oxford dictionary :)

I'm waiting for our pre-orders to arrive ;)

If you are running XP, there is no "upgrade". In other words, installing Windows 7 on your "C:" drive wipes out all the data on that drive, so waiting until you get a new PC is probably a better plan. Otherwise, burn/copy/save any files, pictures, videos, or songs you want to keep to an external drive, or a series of CD/DVD blanks, before you attempt to switch over to Win7. Once it's gone, it's gone. I have a new 1 Terrabyte external drive that houses all that sort of stuff, as well as all the drivers for the fingerprint readers, video cards, and other peripherals, just in case ;)

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1256613940][quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1256613364]

BTW: Just to stir up a hornet's nest: MACs ARE NOT BETTER!!! Better commercials but not a better operating system. Have a nice day :)</blockquote>

Don't know where to start. Please define 'better', your definition was not in my Oxford dictionary :)</blockquote>

You're right, the commercials are crap, too. I mean really... who is going to buy a $1200 Mac instead of a $200 OS :smirk:

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1256613940][quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1256613364]

Don't know where to start. Please define 'better', your definition was not in my Oxford dictionary :)</blockquote>

I have a list about my dislike for Macs but here are a few. Some of the dislike goes to the computers that the OS goes on.

1) Costs: There is two issues here.

One, Macs have no low end options. In a 5-second search, the lowest price desktop Mac was $1200 and the lowest priced laptop was $1000. I can get a PC desktop for $400 and a laptop for $400-$500. Obviously, we are not comparing apples to apples with respect to specs but computers have gotten to a point where one does not need the latest and fastest. Most people are perfectly happy with mid-level specs. Also, if one wants to buy a computer for kids or simply to have one, the Mac is simply too expensive.

Second, Macs are about 25-30 percent more expensive than comparable PCs. Why would I want a a computer that has basically the same parts (Intel chip, same video card makers) for 25-30 percent more? Macs often have "cool" side gadgets like firewire and webcams but most people can live without them (or get them separately).

2) Inflexibility: Apples are made by one company while there are a number of large brand assemblers of PC (not to mention the hundreds of independent local computer assemblers). Heck I could assemble a PC by going to fry's and an afternoon of my life (did that a number of times when I had more time). I can exchange/swap out parts to get a faster computer without having to buy a whole new one.

3) Universality: 90 percent (plus?) of the world runs PC/Windows and thus file exchanges and software uses are much easier for PC users. Yes, Macs "run" windows programs (like word/office) but does not do a very good job. I do not have to buy a whole new set of software when I buy a new PC...I can use the ones I had before.

4) The one button mouse: One button? Really? Instead of having different buttons to do different task, Macs simply lumps them for one button (i.e. drag and hold to save a file v. right clicking). Works as well as BMW's iDrive (one button to do everything).

5) Interface on the Mac OS: This may be a personal choice but I really dislike the layout and interface of the Leopard OS. It's too simplistic and focuses too much on the visual interface. The windows taskbar is superior for quickly access programs and multitasking. Leopard OS is inefficient and tries do "show"/do too much. For example, the windows taskbar show the programs I am currently running and have brief description of each task. The Leopoard OS does the same except it shows a "graphic" depiction of the task (i.e. webpage or word document) which I cannot see anyways. It's much easier to find the task or webpage I am looking for with a text description than a tiny graphic depiction.

On the flip side, the "drawbacks" people claim about Windows are way overblown.

1) Viruses/spyware: Yes they are a problem on PC and not so on Mac but that is because most virus/spyware writers focus on Windows due to its dominance. Most spyware/virus issues come because people are lazy, ignorant, or "stupid" (clicking on things without thought or concern). I guarantee that if Macs were 90 percent of the world's computer market, they would be the one with security issues.

2) Stability: People love picking on Microsoft for their failures (see Windows ME and Vista) but ignore the good ones (Windows 98, 2000, and XP). I have ran XP on my computers for 5 years and never had a major problems. At worst, I reset the computer and everything is good.

#1-did you look at a mac mini? 2ghz core2duo, and finally a decent graphics card. $499.

#2-i swap parts all the time, any off the shelf drives work, and you can swap chips too, if you want.

#3-if you really want to use win only special software, you can run win in a sandbox. but the standard programs that are used 98% of the time (office/browsers/photoshop) have great mac versions.

#4-apple has offered the mighty mouse (4 button/scroll) for 5? years now, and did you see the new multi-touch mouse?

F1-for many users, particularly low end/home users, virii are a big deal and they are *very* frustrated by having to reformat their computers. yes, this is their fault, but they don't care, they just want to send emails or photos/videos of the kids.

F2-is anything more stable than UNIX? this is the core of the MacOS.

This is also the reason that you are *wrong* about F1, say what you will, but hackers really want to attack UNIX systems (since this is most business/banks/etc), but cannot do it very well.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1256613862][quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1256613364] My inclination is to save to the $120...</blockquote>

Mr. SoCal attended the <a href="http://www.techspot.com/news/35858-attend-microsoft-event-for-free-copy-of-windows-7.html">Microsoft event</a> in Orange today because they were giving out Windows 7 for freeeeeee!</blockquote>
This should have went into the Deals thread BEFORE today. I'm sad... I would have went to this.

Forgetting OSes, why can't PC manufacturers make notebooks as sexy as the MacBooks?

For a long time now Apple has these awesome thin form factor notebooks and finally PCs are doing it with one big difference... NO OPTICAL DRIVE! That does not make sense... only the Acer Timelines and some Sony VAIOs are making the them light and thin and not sacrificing the optical drive, but are PCs so fat and bloated that they can't fit them into the same form factor?

You can make a netbook the size of pocketbook but you can't make a full-function notebook as thin? Bah.

BTW: I use Windows for the same reason I use English... more people use it.

freedomCM

#1: Did miss the mini Mac but they start at $599 (with no monitor, no mouse, no keyboard)...a comparable PC (with slightly better specs and keyboard/mouse) for about $500 at dell. Good luck upgrading a minimac...

#2: Chips could be swapped now because Macs now use Intel chips...thus making it exactly the same system as a PC but for 25 percent more.

#3: Why would I get a Mac to run PC software... I would just get a PC.

#4: Why make the "four button" mouse a $70 upgrade? I can get a two button PC mouse for free (with rebate). Typical apple...make it cool and sleek but overcharge for it.

F1: This article explains my point: <a href="http://www.mxlogic.com/securitynews/web-security/windows-versus-mac-os-x-security-experts-say-macs-not-invulnerable976.cfm">http://www.mxlogic.com/securitynews/web-security/windows-versus-mac-os-x-security-experts-say-macs-not-invulnerable976.cfm</a>

Few people get viruses sending e-mails and photos/videos of kids. They get them because they click on stupid e-mail promising funds from nigerian princes or compromising pictures of celebrities, visit questionable websites, and download pirated material.

F2: You can get a UNIX OS on PC but it's just not that popular. The comment was not about how stable apple is but rather that Windows are fairly stable.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1256620211]Going to the point of your post, tell me your system specs and I'll tell you if you will benefit from the new features in Windows 7 vs. the potential decrease in performance.

I've used all of these systems extensively and interchangeably. In a working settings, or for word processing and web surfing setting - nah. Not worth it yet.

If you are SUPER into organizing your media and sharing it to other computers and running home networks, then yeah - maybe you will get some use out of the features.

All in all, its not a big step at all from vista. New face paint for the most part and a couple of (ridiculously minor) tweaks. Then again, vista was not a big step from XP. You get the idea. (btw: vista was bashed because it was trendy to do so. its early "issues" were not typically something the average user would have ever noticed, and were promptly fixed within months of the release). If you are on Vista, I would definitely not upgrade, unless you are planning to go x64 to use your 75528 gigs of new ram. New benchmarks even show vista and win7 performing with near identical numbers on gaming fps, application responsiveness, and start-up times - with vista being faster on most of them. Oops!</blockquote>

It's as I thought. ..certainly not worth the time and hardware upgrade needed.

BTW: I am no Windows lovers (just not a Mac fanatic).

Microsoft is its biggest enemy in some respect. It tries to stay relevant by release software too earlier and buggy. XP was not great when it first came out but a couple service packs later, it's pretty good. It's not just windows, IE8 was a disaster when it first came out (is much more stable now...still prefer Firefox) crashing when one visited extremely popular websites like Google and ESPN.

It also releases unnecessary versions like ME, Vista, and now Windows 7 while perfectly stable alternatives remain (windows 98 and XP) causing them more grief than its worth. I guess it's worth the pub for Microsoft to release "new" software every two years instead of every five years.

If you're running an XP machine, then you should probably buy a new machine.

If you're running Vista... probably not worth it.

Although, if you have multiple computers, buying the 3-pack Home upgrade from Costco for $125 is compelling.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1256622704]If you're running an XP machine, then you should probably buy a new machine.

If you're running Vista... probably not worth it.

Although, if you have multiple computers, buying the 3-pack Home upgrade from Costco for $125 is compelling.</blockquote>

Having a spouse working directly for the Evil Empire has it's benefits, namely cheap software. We both bought new laptops recently and we're upgrading to erase all the bloatware and extra "stuff" HP and it's vendors like to add to a new system. Having all three systems on a 64-bit OS will be nice too. And, now that MS has finally caved on DRM for Media Center, the dream of a Home Theater PC is finally on the horizon.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1256618962][quote author="SoCal78" date=1256613862][quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1256613364] My inclination is to save to the $120...</blockquote>

Mr. SoCal attended the <a href="http://www.techspot.com/news/35858-attend-microsoft-event-for-free-copy-of-windows-7.html">Microsoft event</a> in Orange today because they were giving out Windows 7 for freeeeeee!</blockquote>
This should have went into the Deals thread BEFORE today. I'm sad... I would have went to this.</blockquote>

Sorry 'bout that, IHO. I would have loved to share this with IHB had I known before yesterday (he registered for it months ago.) I told him to keep me posted or come back and blog about other deals in the future. If it's any consolation - he just reported back that they only gave out the 32-bit version, not the 64... but, it is the Ultimate edition, not the Pro or Home Premium.

If its anything like Vista pricing/tiering, any "ultimate" edition allows you to upgrade to the 64 bit for free-ish; only the cost of the materials and shipping from MS. I did this with one of my copies of vista ultimate x32 and get a new x64 DVD (with box and new cd-key) for like 10 bucks. Check it out.

Yes, 64-bit country is another good reason to go to Win7. Many people are running 32-bit Vista so if you want to upgrade to Win7, at least go 64-bit.

I actually hate upgrades as something always go wrong so I prefer to just buy a new machine with the new OS and use some transfer program... especially now that most usable laptops are in the $500 range and desktops are below that (although I don't think we'll ever buy a desktop PC again).

I've never had a Mac but I have had my Dell notebook (Inspiron 1525) for 11 months and already they've replaced the motherboard twice and the processor and AC adapter once. Looks like I'll be getting good use of my 3-year warranty. One more Dell technician visit and I'm demanding a new computer. I might even have tmare call 'em for me ;).

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1256624879]Yes, 64-bit country is another good reason to go to Win7. Many people are running 32-bit Vista so if you want to upgrade to Win7, at least go 64-bit.

I actually hate upgrades as something always go wrong so I prefer to just buy a new machine with the new OS and use some transfer program... especially now that most usable laptops are in the $500 range and desktops are below that (although I don't think we'll ever buy a desktop PC again).</blockquote>

I think you're going about it all wrong. When you install the new OS, take the time to install your applications from scratch. Then move JUST your media (pictures, music) and work. I would never use a transfer program.

Well.... it depends on the apps. For some, you may not have the installation disks/files for and for others you may not know where they keep all the data.

For the average user, a transfer program is pretty reliable... uber nerds can do it "by hand" but also remember that if you even have 20+ apps, that's a long time to spend doing installs.

While I could probably figure it out... I'd rather just push a button and be done with it... gone are the days of having the luxury to mess around with computers. I used to build my own systems too... but now find it easier to just buy them prebuilt because they are so cheap... not worth the sweat+time equity.

Back