Why is the bedroom the most important?

bkshopr_IHB

We spend 1/3 of our life in bedroom and it should be looked at much more carefully when making a home purchase. There should not be sightline looking into bedroom from the formal seating area. The sleeping area should be as private and sacred as the hidden toilet location. We would not want to see the toilet from any room the same should hold for the bed.

Master bedroom should not be the first room one sees when arriving at the top of the stairs. It should be the destination at the end of the hallway for privacy. It also allows parents to walk pass by the children’s bedroom to check up on them and their internet activities without them feeling like parents are spying on them. The simple thing like bedroom placement can cure a lot of problem for family. When a master bedroom is at a highly visible location where kids, roommates, in-laws and nosy “old maid” sister see when they walk by on their way to their bedroom vulnerability of its location interferes with parents’ intimacy. It is considered bad feng shui. Many divorces were started by lacking of intimacy. Some would argue that just close the bedroom door. Well most of the time the bedroom door is opened for light and ventilation for the hallway. When it is closed then everyone under the roof knows what mom and dad are doing if not arguing.

Door into bedroom should never be placed at locations where the person laying on the bed could not see who is standing at the doorway. The worst location is behind the bed wall. It is the “ambush” location. Another bad location is smack middle at the foot of the bed. It is also a very vulnerable position. It is “identify the corpse at the freezer” position. Occupants resting in these situations could never get a good night sleep due to their insecurity in a non defensible space. Eventually poor sleeping habit lead to poor health.

The straight path of travel walking in to the bedroom must not overlap or run into the bed. This includes foot, sides and headboard of the bed. Practical reason is injury. Most ER broken toe incidences were walking into the vertical leg of the bed frame little toe especially. For a small 11' bedroom the placement of a bed always overlap the door frame by 12” therefore this incident is bound to happen and especially the midnight trip to the bathroom, the room is dark and the person is still sleepy.

Never buy a house with any kids' bedroom less than 11'. It should be at least 11'-4"x12' for furnishibility. Master bedroom at least 14'. Master closet must be 1% of the house footage. For example for a 2,000sf home the total hanging pole length should be 20'.

There should not be any door opening to the master bath on either side the bed. The bedside circulation should be private. Light, toilet flushing and odor will disturb the partner at sleep. A dresser must be placed directly across the foot of the bed and both partners can use it. One should be able to sit at the foot of the bed and slide the dresser drawer open. A bench is furnished at the foot of the bed if the distance is too far. Never put the dresser at the side of the bed. This would not be fair to move the partner so he or she and sit down.

Never furnish a bed directly under a window and especially the head board. The draft or sun ray is very bad for a person who is asleep. For children they can fall off the window. There should be at least 2 windows on separate walls for cross ventilation. The distance between the windows should be more than ½ diagonal of the room. Windows are ok behind the night stands.

Bathroom mirror and closet slider mirror visible from the bed are very bad feng shui. Mirror magnifies the space at the same time it reflects light and brighten up the room too much for sleeping. It also allows outsiders to see your reflection at night through your window and you CAN NOT see them dark outside and they may be doing much more than peeping. According to feng shui this is too much arousal for the human spirit so one can not be restful. For children mirror stirs up too much boogey man imagination and takes longer for a child to get to sleep. Mirror also distract eye contact and focus more voyeuristic activities during intimacy. In any event, eliminate view of mirror from bed.

Bedrooms should never face west. The late afternoon sun heats up the room and the entire content inside the room including the highly insulated mattress. It takes at least 7 hours for the heat to completely dissipate and by then is almost 3 am for a good night sleep but the alarm is set for 6 am for school or work. Day after day the poor environment would take a toll in ones health.

Bedroom upstairs should never be over the kitchen below. It is very bad feng shui. “The fire is cooking your bed”. The heat generated from the kitchen rises and heat up the ceiling and heat will conduct upward to the bedroom floor. The temperature will rise several degrees.

Master bedroom wall should never be shared with another bedroom. Privacy is severely compromised. The cup on the wall trick really works. Many good designs use the closets or master bath as buffer. Plumbing wall should never be in the bed wall. Leak, mold, water pressure, and flushing noise are all bad for the health.

Next time when you look at a house don't just stick your head in the bedroom. Walk inside because one spends the most time there than any other rooms in the house.

<p>Which Laing project did you buy? I hope it is not a Robert Hidey plan. His designs often locate the bedroom over the kitchen.</p>

yeah...same here. My bedroom is above the kitchen. And u're right about facing west. It does get alittle warm. Surprisingly, the heat from the sun doesn't last long. But I do like facing west for the sunset view.

<p>I would imagine many homes would have a bedroom located over the kitchen. I mean, what else is there on a second floor - bedrooms, a loft maybe, a laundry room? </p>

<p>I'll have to start noticing this when I visit model homes.</p>

<p>BK -</p>

<p>Oh gosh..I wish I was able to afford to purchase a Robert Hidey plan - because that would've meant that I was able to purchase at Crystal Cove or Lucia (in Talega).</p>

<p>I purchased in San Juan Capistrano (Pacifica San Juan).</p>

<p>The house I owned had the master bedroom over the family room, and the master bath over the kitchen... It was a Standard Pacific.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Does having the master bathroom over the kitchen count as having the bedroom over the kitchen? Or, is the bathroom considered not so bad? Does it have to be the room with the bed in it for you to be "cooking?"</p>

Oh yeah. I tend to not have the lights on at night in the bathroom. As you have stated, I just get this creepy feeling someone is looking at the reflection.

No wonder! Since my bedroom is above the kitchen. Is that why I always eat ice cream late at night? That subliminal feeling of the kitchen heat? Hmm.

<p>Awww... i want the product of "cooking" in the bedroom. </p>

<p>And, for you voyeuristic perverts, I meant a child ... not bodily fluids! </p>

<p>Target once carried a small layman's Feng Shui for Good Health book by Angie Ma Wong. She is really good and local too. Feng Shui is wrongly portrayed as superstition it is actually a set of rules documenting the bad environments that caused bad health, poor career, bad marriages, bad accidents, bad studying habit, illness, and death. It also documents good environments that promoted all the good things too. It is derived from science, psychology, and nature.</p>

Master Bath over the kitchen is ok. The toilet should not be over the cooktop. It is really bad. The toilet should also not be over the entry foyer. Sh*t over any ones head is just bad.

Back