Who bought the 2010 home?

Wow, I go play some poker and all this drama happen. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p --> That being said, CK will be missed...he is good people. :'( I hope people can grow some thick skin and be able to take a few punches....after all, it's all in good fun and discussion.

[quote author="mikeirvine"]Well said Grace, but as an expert in home & architecture you are seeing all the details from the points of an professional.

From a Buyer that are looking to buy a home, it much simpler, most of the time is by feeling and preferences.

Like if you are a engineer building bridges, you will be obsess when you are crossing a bridge that are not structurally solid, but for many it just a bridge that one need to cross, with cars, bikes, foots and etc .... yes it might fall apart and you can avoid it but what about many, many things in the real world you face that are not perfect to you.

When you talk about design, they is no perfect design as imperfection is all around us, just like you and me nothing is perfect ...... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and be able to look past that is an Arts of enjoyment toward happiness.

You tell us not to buy a new home in Irvine, and go buy somewhere else or later, but where and when, if I don't like what you like, your opinion is useless to me. If you don't like what I like my opinion is useless to you.

When there are design fault, where are the creative ideas to work around ..... contemporary and creative solution are what an expert like you can help in. I told you and you don't listen doesn't help for many.

Step up and help us that make a mistake buying flaw home. Interior designer and architect are helping their client and of course you have to pay them. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

I have to thank you for spending time providing information to other and me. But if you can look less at the problems and provide a bit of solution on the problems that will be great. Adding salt to a wound can be fun for you and others ...... maybe that is the way things are here, that fine <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Mike

Tv over fire place is not a flaw, seem like a trend for new designers. But might be dangerous or shorten your TV lifespan ..... oops that is worse.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/advice/1942/ask-the-expert-flat-screen-tv-over-a-fireplace.html
http://www.geeksugar.com/Dangers-Mounting-Flat-Panel-Above-Your-Fireplace-2950374

4397419744_a493917636_b.jpg

[/quote]

I remembered every Mike that I knew got to have one of these.

family_01.jpg

[quote author="traceimage"]You're talking about tv placement, for example. Maybe some people love having their tv over their fireplace. Who knows? And maybe some people hate having backyards, land they would need to tend and landscape. Again, who knows? And who are you to say what's right and what's not?

The point is, people like Mike are saying they're happy with their new houses, and you're telling them they are making a mistake. Whatever "flaws" Mike's new house may have are obviously ok with him, so why not just let it go? You're sharing your opinions - just that, opinions - but under the guise of your professional experience so people will think your opinions have more weight than they do.

I'm familiar with your portfolio. Never once did I mention custom homes.

A little modesty goes a long way, too. Just saying.

Incidentally, are you offering to help with our remodel? Maybe I can stop by your office this week and we can discuss it?[/quote]

Your remodel could run a lot faster if your husband give you some help. Oh I forgot. Many ROC Chinese knew very little about construction, handymans work, and interior having to rely on the Caucasian wife to shoulder the burden.

Take away the jar that he walks around with and hand him a hammer and have him knock out some mud sill and trimmer studs.

What you are going through is the exact reason why Chinese must buy new homes.

as abrasive as bK tends to be, i think he's spot on with a lot of points... i'm also humored to the "ticky tacky" reference... bK is definitely old school... i first came to know the little boxes song through one of my favorite shows, weeds, but the song came from the early 60's... it's funny, because as i toured the new home collection, i was singing the song over and over again to the annoyance of my wife, haha...

also, on this whole tv design bit, yeah new designers do a great job making a tv above a fireplace look cool, but you cant deny that they tend to know jack sh!t about viewing and acoustics. you can have a really high tv if you have let's say 20ft viewing distance (i dont know exactly, im not an engineer), but in the standard irvine room, its not the greatest position. a lot of designers dont even optimize the room for face on viewing of the tv. my room may look great from a design standpoint, but why do i want to watch tv from a 90 degree viewing angle? i'd rather have a separate wall so you can have a built in or something so you can actually store your av components and have speakers larger than a shoebox...

[quote author="akim997"]as abrasive as bK tends to be, i think he's spot on with a lot of points... i'm also humored to the "ticky tacky" reference... bK is definitely old school... i first came to know the little boxes song through one of my favorite shows, weeds, but the song came from the early 60's... it's funny, because as i toured the new home collection, i was singing the song over and over again to the annoyance of my wife, haha...

also, on this whole tv design bit, yeah new designers do a great job making a tv above a fireplace look cool, but you cant deny that they tend to know jack sh!t about viewing and acoustics. you can have a really high tv if you have let's say 20ft viewing distance (i dont know exactly, im not an engineer), but in the standard irvine room, its not the greatest position. a lot of designers dont even optimize the room for face on viewing of the tv. my room may look great from a design standpoint, but why do i want to watch tv from a 90 degree viewing angle? i'd rather have a separate wall so you can have a built in or something so you can actually store your av components and have speakers larger than a shoebox...[/quote]

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

TV above fireplace when you calculate the viewing angle and the cone of vision the ideal distance is more than most current room dimension. The furnishing at an angle to the TV according the the engineering formula is not recommended.

[quote author="graceomalley"]
[quote author="traceimage"]You're talking about tv placement, for example. Maybe some people love having their tv over their fireplace. Who knows? And maybe some people hate having backyards, land they would need to tend and landscape. Again, who knows? And who are you to say what's right and what's not?

The point is, people like Mike are saying they're happy with their new houses, and you're telling them they are making a mistake. Whatever "flaws" Mike's new house may have are obviously ok with him, so why not just let it go? You're sharing your opinions - just that, opinions - but under the guise of your professional experience so people will think your opinions have more weight than they do.

I'm familiar with your portfolio. Never once did I mention custom homes.

A little modesty goes a long way, too. Just saying.

Incidentally, are you offering to help with our remodel? Maybe I can stop by your office this week and we can discuss it?[/quote]

Your remodel could run a lot faster if your husband give you some help. Oh I forgot. Many ROC Chinese knew very little about construction, handymans work, and interior having to rely on the Caucasian wife to shoulder the burden.

Take away the jar that he walks around with and hand him a hammer and have him knock out some mud sill and trimmer studs.

What you are going through is the exact reason why Chinese must buy new homes.[/quote]

How funny that you say that, because the truth is the exact opposite.

I've actually had it with the remodel and my husband's been handling all of it. I should be helping *him* more.

He is actually quite handy with tools (which is something I find very attractive about him), but we're not actually doing the work ourselves so his skills don't come into play very much. Although we probably could have personally built an entire house from scratch in the amount of time this remodel has taken.

You're so silly, BK. I'm actually finding you kind of amusing right now instead of getting annoyed! So thanks. Although I do challenge you this: come up with at least ONE assumption about me/my husband that is correct, and I'll give you mad props (as the cool kids were saying like 5 years ago).

Woohoo we got our dream home in Montecito. Plan B, Corner lot, Monterey style (with balcony off the master bedroom), and no one behind us.

Hopefully there are some more of my future neighbors in here!

[quote author="rounderx54"]Woohoo we got our dream home in Montecito. Plan B, Corner lot, Monterey style (with balcony off the master bedroom), and no one behind us.

Hopefully there are some more of my future neighbors in here![/quote]

Congrats, neighbor! Balcony is cool. So you got it in Phase 4? Just curious, what's your register time if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks

[quote author="fe9000"]
[quote author="rounderx54"]Woohoo we got our dream home in Montecito. Plan B, Corner lot, Monterey style (with balcony off the master bedroom), and no one behind us.

Hopefully there are some more of my future neighbors in here![/quote]

Congrats, neighbor! Balcony is cool. So you got it in Phase 4? Just curious, what's your register time if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks[/quote]

I believe our register time was 10:10 AM and we were open to both a plan 1 or a plan 2.

For phase 4, we were in the top 5 and by the time we got called, only a Plan 1 corner was sold.

[quote author="rounderx54"]
[quote author="fe9000"]

Thanks[/quote]

I believe our register time was 10:10 AM and we were open to both a plan 1 or a plan 2.

For phase 4, we were in the top 5 and by the time we got called, only a Plan 1 corner was sold.[/quote]

Thanks for sharing. This is helpful for the people that are still on the list looking to get one. I am still amazed how they are still on the 12/3 opening day for the plan 1 and plan 2s. I would thought they would be further down the list by now like the other communities.

[quote author="fe9000"]
[quote author="rounderx54"]

For phase 4, we were in the top 5 and by the time we got called, only a Plan 1 corner was sold.[/quote]

Thanks for sharing. This is helpful for the people that are still on the list looking to get one. I am still amazed how they are still on the 12/3 opening day for the plan 1 and plan 2s. I would thought they would be further down the list by now like the other communities.[/quote]

I was there around 2 on Saturday and they were at 7:13PM on Dec. 3 - it seemed that only one plan 3 was left.

[quote author="Blueberry East"]For those worried about the TV placement: sell your TV, buy an iPad and watch movies on it while enjoying the fireplace. [/quote]

You asked if my first post was serious. Now I have to ask if this post is serious?

For those worried about not having a front door: Get good exercise jumping through your window.

There's an imaginery brighter side to everything, point is you don't want to put yourself in a situation where it comes to that.

iPad = iFad

Not convinced about that yet... but it's Sheeple... err... Apple... so it should do better than the 2010 HK Collection.

So who else has bought a 2010 home? And you could always just put shelves in the fireplace to put the cable box, the DVR, the BluRay player and the Wii/Xbox/PS3.

I had a neighbor with a gas fireplace where the front was covered by glass and you couldn't open it. He had the fireplace removed and had a shelf built in it's place. Maybe that could be an option for some?

[quote author="jvna"]I had a neighbor with a gas fireplace where the front was covered by glass and you couldn't open it. He had the fireplace removed and had a shelf built in it's place. Maybe that could be an option for some?[/quote]

Hahaha, I have actually thought about this. I have a dumb question, what about the chimney?

[quote author="fe9000"]
[quote author="jvna"]I had a neighbor with a gas fireplace where the front was covered by glass and you couldn't open it. He had the fireplace removed and had a shelf built in it's place. Maybe that could be an option for some?[/quote]

Hahaha, I have actually thought about this. I have a dumb question, what about the chimney? [/quote]

I think the flue was metal and curved around the back and up the wall. So it didn't go straight up from the fireplace box. I think he just left it there.

Any more new home owners?

Congrats to all new 2010 owners .... <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Continue sharing what you think about the new home ... even you are not an owner of the new home <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Mike

[quote author="ajw522"]
[quote author="fe9000"]

Thanks for sharing. This is helpful for the people that are still on the list looking to get one. I am still amazed how they are still on the 12/3 opening day for the plan 1 and plan 2s. I would thought they would be further down the list by now like the other communities.[/quote]

I was there around 2 on Saturday and they were at 7:13PM on Dec. 3 - it seemed that only one plan 3 was left.[/quote]

Was at Montecito this past weekend and they are already past Day 1 registration. They are on the 10th now. Good luck guys!

Back