Which one would you choose and why?

hskim17

Hi
I am new in this forum and looking for a house around 1.3 - 1.5 M.
I am somewhat familiar with area but I am wondering what your opinions are.

The first one is a newer gated development in Walnut area. Two story one.

The second one is in cypress village and three story one.

Thanks.

215 Kensington because you save $2.5k each year of MR and 3 level vs 2. It also maps to the same school district so you pay extra MR for nothing really.

The fact that the second one is so close to the 5 freeway would probably make it a non-starter for me.

The first one is close to the train tracks and if you're over on the side by Harvard Park, those baseball/softball field lights don't go off until after 10 on most nights. Not sure if those lights or cars leaving will bother you. I play softball there and the late games start at 8:50pm and don't end until after 10, some people hang out in the parking lot for a bit after the games too.

What is the floor plan of the Kensington one? It has some weird L shape which I think is the garage.

There are many things to consider here, number of stories, gated vs non-gated, location, etc.

The orange wood is off putting to me but the location is more "central" depending on where you work/play.

I'll echo what others have mentioned. Prefer Kensington...
- 2 story vs 3
- lower Mello Roos
- Painted Trellis too close to freeway. Kensington farther away from the train tracks, which is better but you may still hear the horn once in a while.
- Based on pictures, looks like Kensington has a 1st floor yard/patio. Painted Trellis looks like it only has a 2nd floor patio.
- Gated is a plus, I guess?

kensington is definitely an older home and will need some remodeling, good if you're DIY. Painted Trellis looks turnkey. I've lived on painted trellis and the freeway is a non-issue.

Ever lived in a 3 story home? If so, and you're OK with it, then buy Painted Trellis. If you've never lived in a 3 story home, my best advice here is don't.

Ever lived in a 3 story home? If so, and you're OK with it, then buy Painted Trellis. If you've never lived in a 3 story home, my best advice here is don't.
This.

That said, carefully looking at the photos of Trellis, notice the armchair encroachment into the kitchen island space. Then notice the wasted space with stairways, the 'mud room', and the bedroom with the twin bed and notice door placement and realize the only functional wall for a bigger than twin bed is where the Piano is at and it then largely disrupts the entire room. Maybe one of those full/twin bunk bed things would fit along the wall in with the door. The layout, JIMHO, seems very awkward.

Kessington floor plan leaves much more of the SF actually useable space.

A caveat I can think of for a 3-story home is if the top floor is a less often used space (like the bonus room in some Oak Creek models)... or you have elevators (Great Park?). :)

Hi
I am new in this forum and looking for a house around 1.3 - 1.5 M.
I am somewhat familiar with area but I am wondering what your opinions are.

What is your reason for purchase?

Personally I think 3 story home is more acceptable if the 3rd floor is just a loft / bonus room / man cave. I used to own a 3 story condo with bedroom on 3rd floor and it can be difficult to find renters.

For the price range that you're looking at, I would not limit choice to these 2 homes, or Irvine itself. But if you specifically want Irvine school district for your kids, then that's a different story.

Last edited:
What is your reason for purchase?

Personally I think 3 story home is more acceptable if the 3rd floor is just a loft / bonus room / man cave. I used to own a 3 story condo with bedroom on 3rd floor and it can be difficult to find renters.

For the price range that you're looking at, I would not limit choice to these 2 homes, or Irvine itself. But if you specifically want Irvine school district for your kids, then that's a different story.
I am looking for the house for myself.
I've lived close to Cypress Village but not sure about the area around Walnut.
This one in CV has two bedroom on 3rd floor and one in the 1st floor.
I thought if I use 1st floor as a guest room or office, it would be OK since I would be mainly using 2nd and 3rd floor.
I've seen similar homes in Quail Hills with similar price range.

I've lived 3 story home before but the first floor was just garage.
This one has one room with garage and I think I use this room as a guest room/office and mainly using other two floors.
Maybe this would be good for me but not for others.

This.

That said, carefully looking at the photos of Trellis, notice the armchair encroachment into the kitchen island space. Then notice the wasted space with stairways, the 'mud room', and the bedroom with the twin bed and notice door placement and realize the only functional wall for a bigger than twin bed is where the Piano is at and it then largely disrupts the entire room. Maybe one of those full/twin bunk bed things would fit along the wall in with the door. The layout, JIMHO, seems very awkward.

Kessington floor plan leaves much more of the SF actually useable space.

Thanks for your analysis.
Do you think it's better layout for these two Quail Hill homes?

What is the floor plan of the Kensington one? It has some weird L shape which I think is the garage.

There are many things to consider here, number of stories, gated vs non-gated, location, etc.

The orange wood is off putting to me but the location is more "central" depending on where you work/play.
I work in inland Empire but I usually go there twice a week.
I've lived near CV but not sure about Walnut area.
It seems litter older than CV and could be more central to WB as you mentioned.

The first one is close to the train tracks and if you're over on the side by Harvard Park, those baseball/softball field lights don't go off until after 10 on most nights. Not sure if those lights or cars leaving will bother you. I play softball there and the late games start at 8:50pm and don't end until after 10, some people hang out in the parking lot for a bit after the games too.
I did not know that.
It's a valid point.
I will check into it.
Thanks.

Back