Which neighborhood is the best to raise a family with 1.5+ budget

melodypowell said:
Hi, thanks!! I feel North Irvine area has a much greater Chinese population, e.g. Beacon park elementary has 70%+ Asian, and it feels most are Chinese. Turtle Rock has about 55% Asian, but it's a much more balanced mix. (I see lots of different East Asians as well as Indians) Since I am Chinese, I don't want myself to mingle with too many super competitive Chinese moms.

irvinehomeowner said:
melodypowell said:
the.irvine said:
How about Altair?

Just went to Altier, like the floor plans, but we don't like the greatpark neighborhoods in general. It just seems like the 5fwy is gonna get more and more crowded, and even though I am Chinese myself, why too high of Asian population at schools. We are not into that.

You're going to have to go to an older Irvine hood... but nowadays even those Elems are getting more "Asiantrified".

Saw your post about the Turtles vs Top of the World. I think Turtle Rock has a higher Asian population than Turtle Ridge but not sure about the school demographics.

What about TUSD side of Orchard Hills Groves? Or even North Tustin? Its where a lot of ABCs and other Americanized Asians have fled to get away from the new Asian immigrants who only want IUSD and obsess over a few points difference between Northwood and Uni High. There's lots of Asians in the Tustin Ranch and Northpark/OH schools, but a lot more are Americanized/2nd gen and overall more relaxed in academic outlook.  Honestly though, if you want to avoid a supercompetitive public school atmosphere, I would just do private, since it sounds like you can afford it.

melodypowell said:
Hi, thanks!! I feel North Irvine area has a much greater Chinese population, e.g. Beacon park elementary has 70%+ Asian, and it feels most are Chinese. Turtle Rock has about 55% Asian, but it's a much more balanced mix. (I see lots of different East Asians as well as Indians) Since I am Chinese, I don't want myself to mingle with too many super competitive Chinese moms.

You sound like a closet Tiger Mom yourself.

Honestly, I don't know what type of mom I will be. But you are probably right :) Ever since I was pregnant with twins, my world has been just spinning... lol

WTTCHMN said:
melodypowell said:

You sound like a closet Tiger Mom yourself.

We used to live in Northpark when my kids were toddlers and it was a great neighborhood. We loved it there. A lot of young kids, the HOA organizes a lot of family friendly events throughout the year and the homes (although somewhat outdated without the fully open floor plans) were beautiful and mostly functional. And the TUSD schools zoned to this neighborhood (as well as to Groves OH) is similar to IUSD but I don't think as crazy competitive. My kids go to Hicks Canyon Elementary and I think there is good diversity at this school.

For me personally, my vote is Turtle rock in the hills behind Concordia
One of my friends lived there and I always felt that was the ideal place to live if I ever had the money.  Big lots, nice mountain views, lots of space between homes and just a feeling of peacefulness.  Home school to university high as well as 5 min drive to UCI.  Convenient access to 405.  I prefer it over Altair and Orchard Hills. 

SoclosetoIrvine said:
One of my friends lived there and I always felt that was the ideal place to live if I ever had the money.  Big lots, nice mountain views, lots of space between homes and just a feeling of peacefulness.  Home school to university high as well as 5 min drive to UCI.  Convenient access to 405.  I prefer it over Altair and Orchard Hills.

Agree with you on that.  3 car garage, 5 bed/3 bath homes are nice.  The gated entrance doesn't feel that nice though.

This one was sitting for awhile but is now pending
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/20-Ascension-92612/home/4745992

I went to see this house 3 times and almost made an offer. I loved most of it, but really didn't like the floor plan and the small yard, and I couldn't get over the fact that turning left onto Ridgeline is a nightmare. In the end, I just couldn't see ourselves living there for 20+ years, so I passed. I was still sad when Redfin told me it went into pending...

irvineboy said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:

Agree with you on that.  3 car garage, 5 bed/3 bath homes are nice.  The gated entrance doesn't feel that nice though.

melodypowell said:
I went to see this house 3 times and almost made an offer. I loved most of it, but really didn't like the floor plan and the small yard, and I couldn't get over the fact that turning left onto Ridgeline is a nightmare. In the end, I just couldn't see ourselves living there for 20+ years, so I passed. I was still sad when Redfin told me it went into pending...

irvineboy said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:

You definitely should've bought that house, that has one of the premium view lots too.  It's a beautiful place to raise a family and it's so quiet once you are in your home.  Oh well  :p

I think the Ridgeline nightmare is overstated.  It's a canyon.  Yeah left on ridgeline sucks, but you can go up through the UCI/campus drive into your home next to uni high.  Instead of taking a left on ridgeline, just take a right into the neighborhood and u turn out and go straight in instead of taking a left (as you can tell I've done all of the above LOL)

Another chance will come but yeah that area is still my favorite.  I'm no real estate expert but I think those homes will all be $2 million plus in the next 5-10 years. 

Keep the TI family updated  ;)

Hey. Just got into this post and read it through.  Seems that the author is not around recently, but I wish to know how this story ended because I've been having quite similar issues and criteria on choosing house. Started from Cypress village, I've looked into all most all of communities in Irvine..I even tried Ladera Ranch and Esencia. Recently, I almost concluded that I should narrow down my searching area - Orchard hills with TUSD or gated communities in Peters canyon elementary school range El Dorado or Emerson.

Ladera ranch, if you are ok with location, is definitely family friendly and a great place to live!

In Irvine, I like Turtle Rock (in particular Highlands / Broadmoor / Concordia East ).  Turtle Rock Hills seems to be in a bit of a revival too - more young kids.

I like Turtle rock, but have no confidence to do the remodeling. Also, I don't like closed floor plan, especially my wife or myself cannot visually check our kids in living room area if we are in the kitchen. So I prefer open floor plan and newer houses. Another thing is, even we are fresh out from our home country, Korea, I feel it is not the best experience to live with asian dominating communities, like CV, Stonegate. I checked the demographics of Orchard hills school and Peters canyon elementary school, it is like asian 30%, white 30%.  I am going to check out Padova in orchard hills. Wish me luck..

joke4real said:
I like Turtle rock, but have no confidence to do the remodeling. Also, I don't like closed floor plan, especially my wife or myself cannot visually check our kids in living room area if we are in the kitchen. So I prefer open floor plan and newer houses. Another thing is, even we are fresh out from our home country, Korea, I feel it is not the best experience to live with asian dominating communities, like CV, Stonegate. I checked the demographics of Orchard hills school and Peters canyon elementary school, it is like asian 30%, white 30%.  I am going to check out Padova in orchard hills. Wish me luck..

Just FYI, KB Homes is currently building similar sized homes next to Pavoda.  The new homes are called Genoa.  I think the model home grand opening will be in April due to little rain delay.  You should check out those homes too.  Pavoda has been pretty popular due to good floor plans.

joke4real said:

Your number on Orchard Hills does not seem right.

OH has one of the highest Asian population of all the Irvine neighborhoods. 68.1% Asian and only 24.1% White according to the link below.
https://statisticalatlas.com/neighborhood/California/Irvine/Orchard-Hills/Race-and-Ethnicity

The Tustin school side (groves) is more diverse than the Irvine school side.  Also the asians there tend to be more americanized.

Goriot said:
joke4real said:

Just FYI, KB Homes is currently building similar sized homes next to Pavoda.  The new homes are called Genoa.  I think the model home grand opening will be in April due to little rain delay.  You should check out those homes too.  Pavoda has been pretty popular due to good floor plans.

Went to Padova on Saturday. Some houses got my attention and I feel it could be the one of the best choice if I decide to move into the Grove. But....decided just to sit back and see the price for now. They are trying to keep their price level, I asked them if they have some 'flexibility', but the answer was 'not for now.'

KB Homes seem that it is for those people with next year schedule..too far for me.

Kenkoko said:
joke4real said:

Your number on Orchard Hills does not seem right.

OH has one of the highest Asian population of all the Irvine neighborhoods. 68.1% Asian and only 24.1% White according to the link below.
https://statisticalatlas.com/neighborhood/California/Irvine/Orchard-Hills/Race-and-Ethnicity

Thank you for correcting me. I was talking about the elementary school. But I was wrong anyway...Asian 51%, white 32%. Well, I should ask to somebody who actually has kids going to Orchard hills school.. 

Back