Which credit card do you use the most?

zovall said:
The Amex Centurion card used to be referred to as the 'Black Card' and initially had a fee of $1000/yr (later to $2500 and not sure what it is now). Looks like the Visa Black Card trademarked the term in 2009.  Here's one recent review I found from someone that has both of them:http://www.cardratings.com/american-express-centurion-vs-visa-black-card-review.html
The Centurion card FTW.  That gives you the ultimate bragging rights.  Have to be "invited" to join the club, whatever that means.  Made of titanium.  Also lets you into the airport lounges, free companion international flights, free hotel rooms, personal concierge, personal shopper at Neiman, Gucci, etc, upgrade status at select car rentals...pretty much all around Balla status.  Is it worth it...umm no, not with the $5k initial fee and the $2500 yearly fee, but ppl get this card cuz of status and don't give s*** about the cost.  My wife used to work part time at Williams-Sonoma and came back one day saying how she got to feel a Centurion card cuz some high roller came in to buy some pots and pans.  Said the card itself felt amazing.  What can I say...we're simple folk.

ps9 said:
The AMEX Starwood looks interesting, do the points expire after a certain amount of time?  We don't travel much and it's a bit harder now with the kid but free hotel stays at 5 stars might change my mind.

no they dont expire.  the good thing too is that they dont have any blackout periods.

Speaking of credit cards, just got a call from Discover, looks like somebody tried to swipe $493 at a Walmart in Texas this morning.  It was an attempted swipe that did not go thru, so somebody got my account number and made an actual card.  I wonder how they did this.  I always use the temporary account number feature when I shop online.  The Discover fraud department didn't feel like chatting with me on possible scenarios, guess they didn't want to give out secrets on their end.  As for the fraud trigger, luckily I used my card at Cream Pan this morning.  Hard to travel from Tustin to Texas in 30 minutes. 

Just got approved for the AMEX SPG card, planning a trip to Boston later this year, hopefully I'll be able to stay a couple nights free at the W or the Liberty in beantown with the bonus points.. (cat5, 12,000 pts?, not too familiar yet with spg program).  We usually PL but I'm getting too lazy for that...

There is a referral link on AMEX site, I'm thinking of sending a referral to my wife so we can double dip on the bonus points..

Looked into card churning.. not for me at this moment.. when I have time and have bought my dream house, maybe I'll pursue it as a hobby, seems like alot of dedication to travel the world for free..

Remember in my undergrad days, use to sign up for credit cards on the way back from class to the dorms.. and all I got was a free t-shirt because I didn't do my laundry... how time has changed..

cant believe i forgot the referral.  if any one is interested in the SPG amex, PM me for referral and you get 20K points and i get 5K points.  just need an email address and name

rkp said:
cant believe i forgot the referral.  if any one is interested in the SPG amex, PM me for referral and you get 20K points and i get 5K points.  just need an email address and name

Really?  So I missed out on an extra 20k points?  So bonus 25k + 20k?  That seems too generous...I thought only the person referring gets the commission..

ps9 said:
rkp said:

Really?  So I missed out on an extra 20k points?  So bonus 25k + 20k?  That seems too generous...I thought only the person referring gets the commission..

if they are offering 25K for signing up, then its its either 20K OR 25K.  yes, thats really dumb and no one should use referral in that case.  in the past, the bonus was 10K and if you used a referral link, you got 15K-20K total. 

Just got this in the email.  if anyone is interested in signing up and getting the full 25K points, find a friend with SPG already or send me a note for a referral. 

Each approved friend will earn up to 25,000 bonus Starpoints ? 10,000 bonus Starpoints after their first purchase, plus 15,000 bonus Starpoints once they spend $5,000 in their first 6 months of Cardmembership.3,4 They'll also enjoy an introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $65.

Referrals must be submitted by July 15, 2012.

Nothing is better than my Visa Black Card. It is not a plastic card but a piece of stiff titanium. Have you seen at a restaurant where the patrons wrestle for the bill? I just pull out my Visa Vlack Card and wave it in front of friends and relatives. That moment of dead silence is priceless among the status chasing and keeping up with the Joneses crowd.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Nothing is better than my Visa Black Card. It is not a plastic card but a piece of stiff titanium. Have you seen at a restaurant where the patrons wrestle for the bill? I just pull out my Visa Vlack Card and wave it in front of friends and relatives. That moment of dead silence is priceless among the status chasing and keeping up with the Joneses crowd.

IHS - im surprised you spend the $400-500 annual fee to get this card. This goes against your financial saviness.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

IHS - im surprised you spend the $400-500 annual fee to get this card. This goes against your financial saviness.
He got a Black Card annual fee mod... the taxpayers are subsidizing his status symbol. :)

You got to have a Visa Black if you are among the whos who circle.

You obviously have not been following me closely. My buddy owns the company therefore I got it for free. The requirements are more than just paying for the annual fee. To qualify the check list is extensive. If you flash this card the old folks will let you and your dog have the right a way and those LV sales people will ignore the FCBs and take care of you immediately.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

irvinehomeshopper said:

You obviously have not been following me closely. My buddy owns the company therefore I got it for free. The requirements are more than just paying for the annual fee. To qualify the check list is extensive. If you flash this card the old folks will let you and your dog have the right a way and those LV sales people will ignore the FCBs and take care of you immediately.

you are kidding right.  the visa black card is like having the nicest hyundai and thinking you are in the same company as the nicest BMWs or benzs. 

paying an annual fee doesnt get you status...many folks can get a visa black but to get a centurion card, you have to be invited.  wave that in front of people and you will get the status you seek so badly.  the reason people run over to you is because they are fooled by your visa black....

irvinehomeshopper said:

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

i have received the visa black card application many times and i toss it in the trash each time, while i consider myself to be a big baller relative to most of the population, i would be a non-baller when compared to the real big ballers.  the annual fee is killer and dont really care for the benefits it provides.  but you bring up a good point about getting the right of way while walking the dog. if the asian folks would move out of the way, i just may get it and hang on a lanyard and put around my neck  :)

The card is exclusive to 1% of the population so it comes with the prestige. It does translate to good and attentive service. However at Luscious dumplings a cash only place I can't get away flashing my black card. Since the card is free I take advantage of a friendship. I am a status hungry whore stereotyped by naive people living outside of irvine. I am only living up to the reputation. :D

rkp said:
you are kidding right.  the visa black card is like having the nicest hyundai and thinking you are in the same company as the nicest BMWs or benzs. 

paying an annual fee doesnt get you status...many folks can get a visa black but to get a centurion card, you have to be invited.  wave that in front of people and you will get the status you seek so badly.  the reason people run over to you is because they are fooled by your visa black....

IHS, usually I get what you are saying but this time I'm not so sure.  It is very cool that you are buddies with the owner of the Visa Black Card.  But rkp has it right that people are fooled into thinking it is the Amex Centurion.  Same people who might confuse
4hxtfa.jpg

with

k97zhz.jpg

Eh.. what do I know.. I'm much more likely to buy a Hyundai than use a Visa Black card.  ;)

Just got my AMEX spg card.. anyone want to sign up, let me refer you. we'll split the 5000 points 50-50.. i can gift the points to you on the spg.com site.  I need some points to get the W in Boston..

ps9 said:
Just got my AMEX spg card.. anyone want to sign up, let me refer you. we'll split the 5000 points 50-50.. i can gift the points to you on the spg.com site.  I need some points to get the W in Boston..

this thread is going to turn into a referral thread...sorry for starting

ps9 - that wont work.  you can only transfer starpoints to someone with the same address as you...

shhh!  don't tell anyone.. there goes my plan.. :)

anyways, thanks for pointing that out.. but that give me another idea.. I can pool my wife's points with mine now since we got separate new accounts.. hello W hotel..

Back