Where to go to see fireworks

[quote author="4walls4me" date=1214998472]Guys, where in Irvine (or nearby) does one go to see fireworks on the 4th?</blockquote>

The <a href="http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/entertainment/article_2081073.php">OC Register has a great section on what to do for the 4th of July</a> including a link to an interactive map with all the OC firework displays and the event details. Enjoy your 4th of July :)

Here are 2 popular places to be for fireworks in Irvine:

Heritage Park (Yale/Walnut)

Rancho Middle School (Yale and Michelson)

The City has been doing firework shows near the freeways (for at least 20 yrs), and I would recommend checking them out. Beware of the parking though. Usually, there are hundreds, if not thousands of people going to these parks.

wow newport dunes charges $50/car admission???

disney -- i wonder if their show is kicked up a notch for the 4th since their nightly show is already as impressive a fireworks show as you can fine. from the orange hills area you can easily park in a neighborhood and catch disney, anaheim stadium, and several other city's fireworks.

[quote author="acpme" date=1215126106]wow newport dunes charges $50/car admission???</blockquote>

In that case, just make plans to have cocktails or dinner at whichever hotel at Fashion Island has a bar / restaurant on a top floor.

Dang, I should have sold my condo last month. I can see Heritage's fireworks from my living room and Disney's from my balcony.

<blockquote>In that case, just make plans to have cocktails or dinner at whichever hotel at Fashion Island has a bar / restaurant on a top floor.

</blockquote>

marriott!

Bumping this thread again with an OC Register 2009 update for 4th of July Events:

<em>List of local events</em>:

<a href="http://events.ocregister.com/search?swhat=fourth+of+july+AND+4th+of+july&swhen;=&swhere=Irvine,CA&srad=30&srss=10&st=event&search=true&svt=text">http://events.ocregister.com/search?swhat=fourth+of+july+AND+4th+of+july&swhen;=&swhere=Irvine,CA&srad=30&srss=10&st=event&search=true&svt=text</a>

**<em>Interactive map for fireworks in OC:</em>

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fireworks-displays-pyrotechnics-2076220-map-orange">http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fireworks-displays-pyrotechnics-2076220-map-orange</a>

**The interactive map above seems to be missing from the OC Register site now, but here is an alternative text version of OC firework shows and parades:

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/info-saturday-fireworks-2480665-th-park">http://www.ocregister.com/articles/info-saturday-fireworks-2480665-th-park</a>

Enjoy your 4th of July!

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1215126361][quote author="acpme" date=1215126106]wow newport dunes charges $50/car admission???</blockquote>

In that case, just make plans to have cocktails or dinner at whichever hotel at Fashion Island has a bar / restaurant on a top floor.

Dang, I should have sold my condo last month. I can see Heritage's fireworks from my living room and Disney's from my balcony.</blockquote>

Hey Eva. How's tricks?

For families, there is great place in Woodbridge to catch a fireworks show. <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode;=&q=barnes&sll=33.67722,-117.799358&sspn=0.006214,0.013894&ie=UTF8&ll=33.677077,-117.799358&spn=0.005991,0.013894&t=h&z=17">There is a shopping center at Barranca and Lake with Barnes & Noble, Rubys, movie theater, etc</a>. On the southwest side of that center, by the Woodbridge 5 Cinema, there is a pedestrian bridge that goes across to Woodbridge Community Park. People congregate near that bridge to see the private Woodbridge HOA show that is done at the South Lake. For the kids, you take empty boxes and they can slide down "Cardboard Hill" while waiting for the fireworks to start. We've gone there the last couple of years and its good cheap family fun...

You need to get there pretty early to get a decent spot.

I'm happy because we can have a old fashioned 4th like I remember as a child: Backyard BBQ, swimming and good ole Safe n Sane Firework show with the neighbors in our front yard. The street lights up and we all have a great time. No crowds or battling for parking.

We are having a big BBQ at our house, and then walking the four blocks to the beach in HB to watch the big show by the pier (9pm)

Also, don't forget the big 4th parade from the pier up main street (starts 10am). Its a hoot!

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1246685130]For families, there is great place in Woodbridge to catch a fireworks show. <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode;=&q=barnes&sll=33.67722,-117.799358&sspn=0.006214,0.013894&ie=UTF8&ll=33.677077,-117.799358&spn=0.005991,0.013894&t=h&z=17">There is a shopping center at Barranca and Lake with Barnes & Noble, Rubys, movie theater, etc</a>. On the southwest side of that center, by the Woodbridge 5 Cinema, there is a pedestrian bridge that goes across to Woodbridge Community Park. People congregate near that bridge to see the private Woodbridge HOA show that is done at the South Lake. For the kids, you take empty boxes and they can slide down "Cardboard Hill" while waiting for the fireworks to start. We've gone there the last couple of years and its good cheap family fun...

You need to get there pretty early to get a decent spot.</blockquote>

IPO, thanks for the tip! We took the kids there, and enjoyed the fireworks. We actually drove pass the shopping center, then made a left on Lake. We parked in the huge parking lot where the sr. center is. As we were there at 845pm, so I didn't even bother to find a parking spot. But was early enough to find a perfect "fire lane" slot. With my SUV back open, it was a perfect view.

[quote author="tmare" date=1246700279]I'm happy because we can have a old fashioned 4th like I remember as a child: Backyard BBQ, swimming and good ole Safe n Sane Firework show with the neighbors in our front yard. The street lights up and we all have a great time. No crowds or battling for parking.</blockquote>

That's what it's like here too.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1246828147][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1246685130]For families, there is great place in Woodbridge to catch a fireworks show. <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode;=&q=barnes&sll=33.67722,-117.799358&sspn=0.006214,0.013894&ie=UTF8&ll=33.677077,-117.799358&spn=0.005991,0.013894&t=h&z=17">There is a shopping center at Barranca and Lake with Barnes & Noble, Rubys, movie theater, etc</a>. On the southwest side of that center, by the Woodbridge 5 Cinema, there is a pedestrian bridge that goes across to Woodbridge Community Park. People congregate near that bridge to see the private Woodbridge HOA show that is done at the South Lake. For the kids, you take empty boxes and they can slide down "Cardboard Hill" while waiting for the fireworks to start. We've gone there the last couple of years and its good cheap family fun...

You need to get there pretty early to get a decent spot.</blockquote>

IPO, thanks for the tip! We took the kids there, and enjoyed the fireworks. We actually drove pass the shopping center, then made a left on Lake. We parked in the huge parking lot where the sr. center is. As we were there at 845pm, so I didn't even bother to find a parking spot. But was early enough to find a perfect "fire lane" slot. With my SUV back open, it was a perfect view.</blockquote>

We have lived in Woodbridge for 7 years and this by far is one of our favorite things that the Assoc. does. The fireworks are actually shot from the retention basin at E. Yale Lp at Springbrook South. We always just take some blankets and walk down E. Yale Lp. towards the retention basin and watch them from someone's yard. You could probably park at the Ralph's shopping center on Alton and E. Yale Lp. and walk from there next year.

[quote author="tmare" date=1246700279]I'm happy because we can have a old fashioned 4th like I remember as a child: Backyard BBQ, swimming and good ole Safe n Sane Firework show with the neighbors in our front yard. The street lights up and we all have a great time. No crowds or battling for parking.</blockquote>

Ahh... the memories, when growing up in OC you could have these kind of things. It brought the neighbors together, and the firework shows were awesome. Albeit, not always totally sane, there was a time when one neighbor brought a bunch of fireworks from... well you know... and funny how no one EVER got hurt, nor did a shingle roof catch fire. We did this for years, until the nannys of the hood thought it was best to cut it out. Even though in the entire time no EVER got hurt or any house got burnt down. Too bad it was better to be safe than sane. It ruined it for many others. Only problem, I have heard more and more of a concentration of less than sane fireworks in the areas that allow fireworks. It doesn't seem like they are fighting it regardless of whether it is legal or not.

Yes, I am bitter. Just because some dumb a$$es ruin it for the rest of us, and the nanny state takes over, really... really pisses me off. Another reason to move to SA, with their sh*tty schools and gang members, at least the kids can have that experience they will never forget. I don't remember too many public firework shows growing up, but I do remember the firework shows on my street that we had.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1246896887][quote author="tmare" date=1246700279]I'm happy because we can have a old fashioned 4th like I remember as a child: Backyard BBQ, swimming and good ole Safe n Sane Firework show with the neighbors in our front yard. The street lights up and we all have a great time. No crowds or battling for parking.</blockquote>

Ahh... the memories, when growing up in OC you could have these kind of things. It brought the neighbors together, and the firework shows were awesome. Albeit, not always totally sane, there was a time when one neighbor brought a bunch of fireworks from... well you know... and funny how no one EVER got hurt, nor did a shingle roof catch fire. We did this for years, until the nannys of the hood thought it was best to cut it out. Even though in the entire time no EVER got hurt or any house got burnt down. Too bad it was better to be safe than sane. It ruined it for many others. Only problem, I have heard more and more of a concentration of less than sane fireworks in the areas that allow fireworks. It doesn't seem like they are fighting it regardless of whether it is legal or not.

Yes, I am bitter. Just because some dumb a$$es ruin it for the rest of us, and the nanny state takes over, really... really pisses me off. Another reason to move to SA, with their sh*tty schools and gang members, at least the kids can have that experience they will never forget. I don't remember too many public firework shows growing up, but I do remember the firework shows on my street that we had.</blockquote>

Yeah, I remember the house fires actually increasing AFTER they banned the fireworks in my city. After the ban people moved their firework activities from the street to the secrecy of their backyards. The close proximity to the house and scrubs caused more fires.

Back