When would be next housing Bottom?

meccos12 said:
Why dont you open the link that WTTCHMN posted on this post and it will show you what everyone else can see.

Why don't you since as I've said (and you didn't read), I'm blocked from the OCReg article?

Like I said before, the article shows mostly price drops in Irvine, some as much as 11%. 

I think you are being misleading with how you phrase your summation of the article, are you saying that there are more than *one* zip code in Irvine that is lower YOY by 11%? What is the average?

You had no trouble posting the data in the past, why not post it now? It's just copy and paste like I did with the April article above (which is what I meant about the article I *quoted*).

I really want to read this article to actually see what it says.

For discussions

Irvine, Tustin home sales fall 11%; countywide pace slowest since 2014

Home sales for May totaled 513 vs. 576 a year earlier.

Jonathan LansnerJuly 8, 2019 at 4:08 pm

STAFF GRAPHIC
Homebuying in Irvine and Tustin fell 11% as Orange County sales stalled to the slowest pace since 2014.

CoreLogic homebuying stats show May was the 10th consecutive month Orange County home sales failed to beat the pace of the year-ago period. It was also the slowest-selling May countywide in five years as sales ran 13% below their historical monthly norm. Fewer buyers cut the countywide median selling price by the largest amount in seven years.

ICYMI: OC suffers nation?s 10th largest net population outflow

How do these homebuying patterns translate locally? Well, CoreLogic found these 17 trends in 11 ZIP codes covered by the Orange County Register?s Irvine World News weekly, ?

1. Purchases: 513 home sales in May vs. 576 a year earlier, a decline of 11% in a year.

2. Who?s up: Prices increased in three of the 11 ZIPs as sales rose in seven ZIPs.

3. Countywide: $720,500 median selling price, down 2.6% in a year. Orange County saw 3,313 existing and new residences sell vs. 3,526 a year earlier, a decline of 6% in a year. Prices rose in 44 out of 83 Orange County ZIPs; sales were up in 40 out of 83 ZIPs.

Here is how prices and sales moved in Irvine and Tustin ?

4. Irvine 92602: $1,195,000 median, down 2.9% in a year. Price rank? 12th of 83. Sales of 37 vs. 88 a year earlier, a decline of 58.0% in 12 months.

5. Irvine 92603: $1,267,500 median, up 3.9% in a year. Price rank? No. 10 of 83. Sales of 24 vs. 38 a year earlier, a decline of 36.8% in 12 months.

6. Irvine 92604: $761,250 median, down 1.6% in a year. Price rank? No. 34 of 83. Sales of 28 vs. 24 a year earlier, a gain of 16.7% in 12 months.

7. Irvine 92606: $872,500 median, up 1.3% in a year. Price rank? No. 23 of 83. Sales of 14 vs. 16 a year earlier, a decline of 12.5% in 12 months.

8. Irvine 92612: $715,000 median, down 5.3% in a year. Price rank? No. 43 of 83. Sales of 61 vs. 38 a year earlier, a gain of 60.5% in 12 months.

9. Irvine 92614: $725,500 median, down 11% in a year. Price rank? No. 40 of 83. Sales of 30 vs. 27 a year earlier, a gain of 11.1% in 12 months.

10. Irvine 92618: $897,500 median, down 0.8% in a year. Price rank? No. 21 of 83. Sales of 127 vs. 97 a year earlier, a gain of 30.9% in 12 months.

11. Irvine 92620: $958,000 median, down 6.6% in a year. Price rank? No. 19 of 83. Sales of 67 vs. 131 a year earlier, a decline of 48.9% in 12 months.

12. Tustin 92780: $585,000 median, down 11.4% in a year. Price rank? No. 63 of 83. Sales of 45 vs. 42 a year earlier, a gain of 7.1% in 12 months.

13. Tustin 92782: $684,750 median, down 5.4% in a year. Price rank? No. 48 of 83. Sales of 40 vs. 37 a year earlier, a gain of 8.1% in 12 months.

14. Santa Ana/North Tustin 92705: $888,500 median, up 9.4% in a year. Price rank? No. 22 of 83. Sales of 40 vs. 38 a year earlier, a gain of 5.3% in 12 months.

Sign up for The Home Stretch newsletter and its new Bubble Watch edition. Get a  twice-a-week serving of hot housing news from around the region! Subscribe here.
Plus, three more countywide trends found in May vs. May 2018 ?

15. Single-family home resales: 2,107 Orange County sales vs. 2,135 a year earlier, a decline of 1.3% in the period. Median: $800,000 ? a rise of 0.6% in the period.

16. Condo resales: 944 sales vs. 939 a year earlier, a gain of 0.5% in a year. Median: $497,500 ? a dip of 1.5% in 12 months.

17. New homes: Builders sold 262 residences vs. 452 a year earlier, a decline of 42% in 12 months. Median: $944,000 ? a dip of 4.3% in 12 months.

Compressed-Village said:
For discussions

Irvine, Tustin home sales fall 11%; countywide pace slowest since 2014

Home sales for May totaled 513 vs. 576 a year earlier.

Jonathan LansnerJuly 8, 2019 at 4:08 pm

STAFF GRAPHIC
Homebuying in Irvine and Tustin fell 11% as Orange County sales stalled to the slowest pace since 2014.

CoreLogic homebuying stats show May was the 10th consecutive month Orange County home sales failed to beat the pace of the year-ago period. It was also the slowest-selling May countywide in five years as sales ran 13% below their historical monthly norm. Fewer buyers cut the countywide median selling price by the largest amount in seven years.

ICYMI: OC suffers nation?s 10th largest net population outflow

How do these homebuying patterns translate locally? Well, CoreLogic found these 17 trends in 11 ZIP codes covered by the Orange County Register?s Irvine World News weekly, ?

1. Purchases: 513 home sales in May vs. 576 a year earlier, a decline of 11% in a year.

2. Who?s up: Prices increased in three of the 11 ZIPs as sales rose in seven ZIPs.

3. Countywide: $720,500 median selling price, down 2.6% in a year. Orange County saw 3,313 existing and new residences sell vs. 3,526 a year earlier, a decline of 6% in a year. Prices rose in 44 out of 83 Orange County ZIPs; sales were up in 40 out of 83 ZIPs.

Here is how prices and sales moved in Irvine and Tustin ?

4. Irvine 92602: $1,195,000 median, down 2.9% in a year. Price rank? 12th of 83. Sales of 37 vs. 88 a year earlier, a decline of 58.0% in 12 months.

5. Irvine 92603: $1,267,500 median, up 3.9% in a year. Price rank? No. 10 of 83. Sales of 24 vs. 38 a year earlier, a decline of 36.8% in 12 months.

6. Irvine 92604: $761,250 median, down 1.6% in a year. Price rank? No. 34 of 83. Sales of 28 vs. 24 a year earlier, a gain of 16.7% in 12 months.

7. Irvine 92606: $872,500 median, up 1.3% in a year. Price rank? No. 23 of 83. Sales of 14 vs. 16 a year earlier, a decline of 12.5% in 12 months.

8. Irvine 92612: $715,000 median, down 5.3% in a year. Price rank? No. 43 of 83. Sales of 61 vs. 38 a year earlier, a gain of 60.5% in 12 months.

9. Irvine 92614: $725,500 median, down 11% in a year. Price rank? No. 40 of 83. Sales of 30 vs. 27 a year earlier, a gain of 11.1% in 12 months.

10. Irvine 92618: $897,500 median, down 0.8% in a year. Price rank? No. 21 of 83. Sales of 127 vs. 97 a year earlier, a gain of 30.9% in 12 months.

11. Irvine 92620: $958,000 median, down 6.6% in a year. Price rank? No. 19 of 83. Sales of 67 vs. 131 a year earlier, a decline of 48.9% in 12 months.

12. Tustin 92780: $585,000 median, down 11.4% in a year. Price rank? No. 63 of 83. Sales of 45 vs. 42 a year earlier, a gain of 7.1% in 12 months.

13. Tustin 92782: $684,750 median, down 5.4% in a year. Price rank? No. 48 of 83. Sales of 40 vs. 37 a year earlier, a gain of 8.1% in 12 months.

14. Santa Ana/North Tustin 92705: $888,500 median, up 9.4% in a year. Price rank? No. 22 of 83. Sales of 40 vs. 38 a year earlier, a gain of 5.3% in 12 months.

Sign up for The Home Stretch newsletter and its new Bubble Watch edition. Get a  twice-a-week serving of hot housing news from around the region! Subscribe here.
Plus, three more countywide trends found in May vs. May 2018 ?

15. Single-family home resales: 2,107 Orange County sales vs. 2,135 a year earlier, a decline of 1.3% in the period. Median: $800,000 ? a rise of 0.6% in the period.

16. Condo resales: 944 sales vs. 939 a year earlier, a gain of 0.5% in a year. Median: $497,500 ? a dip of 1.5% in 12 months.

17. New homes: Builders sold 262 residences vs. 452 a year earlier, a decline of 42% in 12 months. Median: $944,000 ? a dip of 4.3% in 12 months.

Interesting, the correction is happening as we speak, even with the economy being pretty good. 

Let's take the OC Registers highest discount #12 (92780 @ $585,000 median, down 11.4% in a year) and check it on the internet:
Trulia says the current sales median for 92780 is $650,000.
Redfin says the current median for 92780 is $679,450.
Zillow says the current median for 92780 is $701,900, but I think that is for listed median.

I know the TI realestate agents have the actual data and can run these numbers.  Who is right?  I'd prefer sales median then listing median.

Here is Trulia's website on 92780:
https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/92780-Tustin/market-trends/

So where is the ?some? as much as 11% in Irvine?

I only see *one*... 92614.

And if you average all the Irvine zips out, is it down about 2.9%?

The drops in volume would make you think it should be lower so I guess we will see in June/July prices.

So is this is the kind of slowdown where prices are not jumping too high during the summer?

But not the kind of slowdown you would wait for a bottom because that 20% discount may not be materializing... unless you cherry pick and use fuzzy math.

More winning!

?A confluence of many factors ? slower economic growth abroad, tighter capital controls in China, a stronger U.S. dollar and a low inventory of homes for sale ? contributed to the pullback of foreign buyers,? said Lawrence Yun, NAR?s chief economist. ?However, the magnitude of the decline is quite striking, implying less confidence in owning a property in the U.S.?

In the first quarter of this year, Chinese buyer inquiries for U.S. properties on Juwai.com, a Chinese real estate site, were down 27.5% from a year ago. Inquiries have been down in four of the last five quarters.

?We call it the Trump effect. It?s a combination of anti-Chinese political rhetoric, a clampdown on visa processing, and of course tariffs,? Carrie Law, CEO and director of Juwai.com, said in a recent interview. ?The Trump effect is undercutting some of the primary drivers of Chinese demand for U.S. property, including buying homes for students who are studying in the U.S. and the country?s reputation as a safe investment.?
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/17/for...-plunge-36percent-as-chinese-buyers-flee.html

misme said:
shahshah said:
Here is another great example of where the market is for 3bds. WB on fire.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/1-Ironwood-92604/home/4689194

I think part of the high price is the single story aspect. Those are super rare in Irvine, especially for a 3 BR.

There were some other 3br 1-levels I posted in the last few weeks... but not as high as the *amazing* Woodbridge price of $935k, $10k over asking... this is supposed to be a slowdown... what did these sell for last year?

Irvinecommuter said:
More winning!

?A confluence of many factors ? slower economic growth abroad, tighter capital controls in China, a stronger U.S. dollar and a low inventory of homes for sale ? contributed to the pullback of foreign buyers,? said Lawrence Yun, NAR?s chief economist. ?However, the magnitude of the decline is quite striking, implying less confidence in owning a property in the U.S.?

In the first quarter of this year, Chinese buyer inquiries for U.S. properties on Juwai.com, a Chinese real estate site, were down 27.5% from a year ago. Inquiries have been down in four of the last five quarters.

?We call it the Trump effect. It?s a combination of anti-Chinese political rhetoric, a clampdown on visa processing, and of course tariffs,? Carrie Law, CEO and director of Juwai.com, said in a recent interview. ?The Trump effect is undercutting some of the primary drivers of Chinese demand for U.S. property, including buying homes for students who are studying in the U.S. and the country?s reputation as a safe investment.?
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/17/for...-plunge-36percent-as-chinese-buyers-flee.html

this is actually great news because it gives average american families an opportunity to purchase a home without worrying about an fcb coming in all cash with no contingencies.  i'm sure plenty of fthb on this board will welcome this change!

Kings said:
Irvinecommuter said:
More winning!

this is actually great news because it gives average american families an opportunity to purchase a home without worrying about an fcb coming in all cash with no contingencies.  i'm sure plenty of fthb on this board will welcome this change!

going by your logic, why shouldn't stocks be lower to let average american families who alredy dont have large portofolios, a chance to build wealth ?  why are you guys doing cartwheels every time stocks go up ?

i know you dont have a logical reply for this, just hide behind a random gif and be done with it

fortune11 said:
Kings said:
Irvinecommuter said:
More winning!

going by your logic, why shouldn't stocks be lower to let average american families who alredy dont have large portofolios, a chance to build wealth ?  why are you guys doing cartwheels every time stocks go up ?

i know you dont have a logical reply for this, just hide behind a random gif and be done with it

why so hostile?  this is a family-oriented message board and i think this is great news for future irvine residents!

and i hope you're not serious about your reply, but i'll humor you anyway.  stocks can be purchased at any time and the market can keep increasing - there is no competition or limiting factors (other than price of a single stock in itself, but you can purchase etfs or other instruments to build wealth). 

a homebuyer often-times has to compete with other offers, with varying prices and terms.  when there is more competition, especially from buyers who are paying all cash with enticing terms like fcbs, the average first time home buyer is left behind and could spend months or even years trying to find a home.  have you ever been in this position?  i'm sure many on this board can relate to this.

hope this helps!

Kings said:

The average American families cannot afford anything in Irvine. FTHBs in Irvine are FAR from your average American families.

Kenkoko said:
Kings said:

The average American families cannot afford anything in Irvine. FTHBs in Irvine are FAR from your average American families.

remove "average" and my point still stands.  chinese buyers paying all cash aren't competing against "average" american buyers for property that is $400k in middle america anyway. 

"average american irvine buyers"

better?  :)

Kenkoko said:
Kings said:

That?s why they need to consider to live in LB with Morekas!  ;)

No no, stay in the OC. 90803 is consistently in the Forbes 500 most expensive zip codes in the country. I don?t want it driven higher.  Stay behind the orange curtain, please.

Kings said:
fortune11 said:
Kings said:
Irvinecommuter said:
More winning!

why so hostile?  this is a family-oriented message board and i think this is great news for future irvine residents!

and i hope you're not serious about your reply, but i'll humor you anyway.  stocks can be purchased at any time and the market can keep increasing - there is no competition or limiting factors (other than price of a single stock in itself, but you can purchase etfs or other instruments to build wealth). 

a homebuyer often-times has to compete with other offers, with varying prices and terms.  when there is more competition, especially from buyers who are paying all cash with enticing terms like fcbs, the average first time home buyer is left behind and could spend months or even years trying to find a home.  have you ever been in this position?  i'm sure many on this board can relate to this.

hope this helps!

I was going to take a break since on vacation but one of my well wishers here reminded of this nonsensical reply that needed to be addressed ?

So let?s deconstruct this

Kings believes that average families can build wealth even if stocks stay at all time highs because , lo and behold , there is always another expensive stock to buy ! Wow I had no idea  :)  what an insight . Now let me go build my wealth .

I will tell you about the psychology of buyers  ? People talk about waiting for the bottom and better prices but no one, absolutely no one likes to buy a home only to watch it?s value go down . This is partly why volumes (from individual buyers) freeze up in a declining market

What people end up doing is buying when the market is in an uptrend . If something you buy keeps going up in price everyday / week / month / quarter (whatever, pick your period ) , it ?feels? like you bottom-ticked it , even if you actually didn?t .

fortune11 said:
Kings said:
fortune11 said:
Kings said:
Irvinecommuter said:
More winning!

hope this helps!

I was going to take a break since on vacation but one of my well wishers here reminded of this nonsensical reply that needed to be addressed ?

So let?s deconstruct this

Kings believes that average families can build wealth even if stocks stay at all time highs because , lo and behold , there is always another expensive stock to buy ! Wow I had no idea  :)  what an insight . Now let me go build my wealth .

I will tell you about the psychology of buyers  ? People talk about waiting for the bottom and better prices but no one, absolutely no one likes to buy a home only to watch it?s value go down . This is partly why volumes (from individual buyers) freeze up in a declining market

What people end up doing is buying when the market is in an uptrend . If something you buy keeps going up in price everyday / week / month / quarter (whatever, pick your period ) , it ?feels? like you bottom-ticked it , even if you actually didn?t .

i think you should go have another margarita and enjoy your time off  :)

Kings said:
fortune11 said:
Kings said:
Irvinecommuter said:
More winning!

hope this helps!

What is the difference between a buyers ready to buy and a buyer bottom fishing?

? A ready to buy, buyers have a target price range and the locations of choice in mind, if they outbid and out of range they move on to the next property and get it.

? A bottom fishing buyers will often time wait to loose out opportunities and waiting for the crater price, which even when bottom, often fail to acts.

I recent had a convo with a middle age white woman in a coffee shop, and I feel sad for her. She?s a 20 years Irvine residence and her entire life is living as a renter in a rental apartment. Moving from one to another Irvine. She seem distraught  as she said with her recent move it cost her too much and now have been considering moving to Idaho. She said she was a perfect tenant but each time comes renewal the big greedy rental corporations raise her rent which force her to relocate. And in recent years it get smaller and more cramped location.

I feel for her, and I am thinking at the time, she lived through and saw the absolute bottom and the peak of the market but failed on those opportunities. She simply can?t afford even at the bottom. Regardless of the trending, once a buyer ready and ables, they will execute. For many price has gotten too high and simply cannot do it.

The one that waiting will usually bitters later on.

Back