What makes a Realtor "Excellent"?

[quote author="tmare" date=1240039215]<blockquote>

<a href="http://www.familywatchdog.us/">Right here</a></blockquote>

OMG!!! i cant believe how many sexual offenders work at schools. jesus christ dont the schools do background checks?

[quote author="graphrix" date=1240039051]

Now go beat up a mountain lion to show us that you really haven't lost your man-card.</blockquote>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of the responses are too funny.

Speaking as a part-time realtard, I'll throw out some basic things that I think go into making an "excellent" realtor (in no particular order):

1. Easy to get a hold of and is prompt to response to e-mails and/or voicemails (communication is # 1)

2. In depth knowledge of real estate and the local real estate market (educated as well as keeping up with the micro and macro trends)

3. NOT BEING PUSHY!!!

4. Acts more like a consultant for their sellers and buyers (providing them unbiased information and opinions)

5. Has good negotiating skills

6. The ability to understand the client's needs and expectations

7. Can think out-of-the-box when it comes to writing offers/counter-offers (can actually write them and a listing description)

8. Patient

9. Understands the process and pitfalls of a real estate transaction and can explain them to the clients

10. Don't sell their soul to make some commission dollars

[quote author="norcaljeff" date=1240041454]That's gotta be a rhetorical question, kinda like how do I find an honest lawyer.</blockquote>
As much as I hate to say this, the truth is that there are great realtors and honest lawyers out there (the issue is finding them...kinda like finding a needle in a haystack). haha

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1240041544]No, I think you are mistaken. They show each school that has a offender that works within a certain mile radius.</blockquote>

that makes sense. i thought WTF!!! 3 sex offenders work at the same school.

Alright, I will give my personal opinion of what I personally expect of a RE agent. By no means is this meant for anyone in particular, by no means should it be taken personally, and it should be taken as my general and personal opinion. Which isn't worth as much as the ?2 it was worth when I first started using ?2.

I want an agent that knows as much, if not more about the area, and or homes I am looking at than me. That means:

* They need to know who the builder was, when it was built, and what it has sold for ever since.

* They need to know the recent comps, as well as the recent foreclosures, who is in foreclosure, what stage of foreclosure, and when they bought and how much debt they have in the neighborhood. (If you don't know how to get this info or the info above, then I am available on a consultant basis.)

* They need to know if there are any soil/construction/lawsuit issues of the neighborhood. And, they should be aware of any permits for McMansion monstrosities that may be in the works that would degrade the neighborhood or block my view.

* They should be aware of any grow houses in the neighborhood. As evidenced by me and by Deuce, they are in some very nice areas, and an area in which I am looking at.

I also want someone who listens for what I really want. I think specializing in a neighborhood only makes agents STEER people into homes they don't really want or cannot afford. Just because you "specialize" in Northpark, because my wants fit into 10 houses there, doesn't mean there are not 120 other homes in Irvine, N. Tustin, or Orange that fit my wants, and at a better price. If you want to specialize in one area, then I expect you to show me homes from other than that area, and refer me to someone else who knows the area... since you admit you don't know anything else but the area that you "specialize" in, otherwise you might be guilty of STEERING people into homes. That, and I think anyone who only "specializes" in one area is either too lazy to learn about other areas or too dumb to. Yeah, I know a lot about VP, OPA, Orange, Tustin, N. Tustin, a chunk of Irvine, and Anaheim Hills, bits of Yorba Linda, the majority of Costa Mesa, most of Newport and NC, some about Laguna Beach, and even a little about S. County... and, it isn't even my job to do so.

So if I give you requirements to what it is I am seeking, then I expect you to branch out of the area, and think outside the box. And, I think if I tell you:

* While I prefer a single story, I would look at home that is two story if the staircase does not lead out the door. Or, if the stove is not directly beneath the master bedroom bed, or any of the other bedroom beds, In fact, it shouldn't be beneath a bedroom. If it is, then I get to slap you across the head. You didn't listen.

* If you show me a home where the front door lines up with the back door or sliding door, then I get to cut your hair how I please. You didn't listen.

* If I see tile all across the main living areas, then I get to kick you in the ass. You didn't listen. WTF is so wrong with carpet in the family/living room anyway? Why does it have to be so cold?

* If there are very few windows in the master, or the windows don't open, then I get to head butt you. You didn't listen.

* If you email me a listing without photos, and you didn't take the time to snap some shots yourself at the broker preview or before (since we all know listings get forward dating), because your fellow Realturd was too lazy to get some up on the MLS, then I get to pick you up by your feet and drop you on your head. You didn't listen.

* If you even dare to show me a home on a lot with less than 8k sqft., then I get to blind fold you, spin you around in circles until you almost puke, and fire my air rifle at you while you spin around in dizzy stupor. You didn't listen.

With all these requirements, and they are only a few of mine, then how can anyone "specialize" in one area. Either work harder to learn the areas, or meet people that do, so that you can refer to them when you know that you are the weaker person for the job.

More importantly, I expect experience on the the escrow front. There are many here who think an RE transaction is as easy as filling out offer contract, but there is a lot more to it, and anyone who has ever been through more than one RE transaction in their life knows that sh*t happens and there will be a problem. I don't ever want to hear: "I don't know", and even more importantly I don't want to hear some BS, only to come find out later that it was BS. I expect that you have the knowledge to solve a problem, or have access to those that do, to solve it without me ever knowing that there was a problem.

I also expect that if there is a property that fits my profile in this market, that if it is cheaper to rent than buy, which is very likely, then I expect to be shown the lease market alternatives to be shown to me as well.

This might be my own personal expectations of a RE agent, and I know I have a lot more, but they are everything I would expect an agent to deliver for any other IHBer, not just me. As I have gotten to know IrvineRealtor, and how he handles the market and his clients, I am confident he will meet my needs as well as any other IHBer when the time is right. Whether that time is now, or whether it is in the future. He knows his place, and is more than willing to refer people to someone who knows more than he does when that is the case. He will also be sure to show you the lease alternatives that are out there, and make sure that the landlord is secure as best as he can tell. Trust me, he got the royal four letter word about Kool-Aid introduction, that most deserve and still should get, but he has the cajones to stick around. He has, and will continue to prove his value to IHB.

Graphrix, have you been overdosing on caffeine tonight?....Go to sleep, dude. :lol:

I am going to force myself to sleep now. argh!

[quote author="graphrix" date=1240071695]There are many here who think an RE transaction is as easy as filling out offer contract, but there is a lot more to it, and anyone who has ever been through more than one RE transaction in their life knows that sh*t happens and there will be a problem.</blockquote>

This is so true! There is ALWAYS some glitch during escrow. I have come to expect it.

If the househunter tells you the cities they want to live in, and they do not include, say, Huntington Beach or any cities near Huntingon Beach, do not push the househunter to see your listings in Huntington Beach. That was the end of my first realtor experience.

Oh, and let me add that if a househunter ever gives you a requirement, say, 2 sinks in the master bath, your response shouldn't ever be:

"Well, it's really hard to know that without going to the house itself." Meaning, we all have to be in her car and waste time driving around all day just to see if the houses meet the minimum requirements. Apparently phone calls to the listing agent were too much to ask of my second realtor experience.

[quote author="awgee" date=1240036732]Did somebody die in the house? There is a house in escrow right now and the buyer's agent is an infrequent poster on the IHB. A baby accidentally died in the house more than five years ago and it is my understanding that the limits of the disclosure law is five years. Realtors, please correct me if I am wrong on that. Anyways, the buyer's agent, (not Deuce or USCtroj), is not a local agent and my guess is that the agent does not know of the home's history and as such can not inform his/her client. The listing agent is not a local agent either and he/she may not know either. Although it would not effect my decision to buy, I would sure as heck want to know that type of info before I bought the home.</blockquote>

The length of time required to disclose is 3 years (by statute) of a human death in the home.

This would make an interesting game of "scruples":

1. If you are the buyers' agent - and find out about the death while you are in escrow, do you tell the buyers?

2. If you are the listing agent, and the sellers have asked you specifically NOT to disclose - do you tell the buyers' agent?

3. If you are awgee, and you know the house history and the agent involved, do you tell the agent and leave it to him to do the right thing? Or do you stay mum?

BTW, I don't know who the agent is, or which home it is... but I have a pretty good guess. :-(

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1240188282][quote author="awgee" date=1240036732]Did somebody die in the house? There is a house in escrow right now and the buyer's agent is an infrequent poster on the IHB. A baby accidentally died in the house more than five years ago and it is my understanding that the limits of the disclosure law is five years. Realtors, please correct me if I am wrong on that. Anyways, the buyer's agent, (not Deuce or USCtroj), is not a local agent and my guess is that the agent does not know of the home's history and as such can not inform his/her client. The listing agent is not a local agent either and he/she may not know either. Although it would not effect my decision to buy, I would sure as heck want to know that type of info before I bought the home.</blockquote>

The length of time required to disclose is 3 years (by statute) of a human death in the home.

1. If you are the buyers' agent - and find out about the death while you are in escrow, do you tell the buyers?

<strong>2. If you are the listing agent, and the sellers have asked you specifically NOT to disclose - do you tell the buyers' agent?</strong>

3. If you are awgee, and you know the house history and the agent involved, do you tell the agent and leave it to him to do the right thing? Or do you stay mum?

BTW, I don't know who the agent is, or which home it is... but I have a pretty good guess. :-(</blockquote>
if you are the listing agent i thought you are REQUIRED to disclose everything about the home.

[quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240190345][quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1240188282][quote author="awgee" date=1240036732]Did somebody die in the house? There is a house in escrow right now and the buyer's agent is an infrequent poster on the IHB. A baby accidentally died in the house more than five years ago and it is my understanding that the limits of the disclosure law is five years. Realtors, please correct me if I am wrong on that. Anyways, the buyer's agent, (not Deuce or USCtroj), is not a local agent and my guess is that the agent does not know of the home's history and as such can not inform his/her client. The listing agent is not a local agent either and he/she may not know either. Although it would not effect my decision to buy, I would sure as heck want to know that type of info before I bought the home.</blockquote>

<strong>2. If you are the listing agent, and the sellers have asked you specifically NOT to disclose - do you tell the buyers' agent?</strong>

BTW, I don't know who the agent is, or which home it is... but I have a pretty good guess. :-(</blockquote>
if you are the listing agent i thought you are REQUIRED to disclose everything about the home.</blockquote>
You can only disclose what you know.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1240196815][quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240190345][quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1240188282][quote author="awgee" date=1240036732]Did somebody die in the house? There is a house in escrow right now and the buyer's agent is an infrequent poster on the IHB. A baby accidentally died in the house more than five years ago and it is my understanding that the limits of the disclosure law is five years. Realtors, please correct me if I am wrong on that. Anyways, the buyer's agent, (not Deuce or USCtroj), is not a local agent and my guess is that the agent does not know of the home's history and as such can not inform his/her client. The listing agent is not a local agent either and he/she may not know either. Although it would not effect my decision to buy, I would sure as heck want to know that type of info before I bought the home.</blockquote>

if you are the listing agent i thought you are REQUIRED to disclose everything about the home.</blockquote>
You can only disclose what you know.</blockquote>
right, but if the seller asks you NOT to disclose something you then know and are therefore obligated to disclose the information correct?

[quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240198683][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1240196815][quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240190345][quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1240188282][quote author="awgee" date=1240036732]Did somebody die in the house? There is a house in escrow right now and the buyer's agent is an infrequent poster on the IHB. A baby accidentally died in the house more than five years ago and it is my understanding that the limits of the disclosure law is five years. Realtors, please correct me if I am wrong on that. Anyways, the buyer's agent, (not Deuce or USCtroj), is not a local agent and my guess is that the agent does not know of the home's history and as such can not inform his/her client. The listing agent is not a local agent either and he/she may not know either. Although it would not effect my decision to buy, I would sure as heck want to know that type of info before I bought the home.</blockquote>

right, but if the seller asks you NOT to disclose something you then know and are therefore obligated to disclose the information correct?</blockquote>
I can't speak for other realtors, but I have thing bad thing called a consciousness so I don't care if the seller told me not to disclose it...if I was required to disclose it I will and make it very clear to the seller why I am required disclosing it. I want to sleep at night and would want to know that info as a buyer.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1240199263][quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240198683][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1240196815][quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240190345][quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1240188282][quote author="awgee" date=1240036732]Did somebody die in the house? There is a house in escrow right now and the buyer's agent is an infrequent poster on the IHB. A baby accidentally died in the house more than five years ago and it is my understanding that the limits of the disclosure law is five years. Realtors, please correct me if I am wrong on that. Anyways, the buyer's agent, (not Deuce or USCtroj), is not a local agent and my guess is that the agent does not know of the home's history and as such can not inform his/her client. The listing agent is not a local agent either and he/she may not know either. Although it would not effect my decision to buy, I would sure as heck want to know that type of info before I bought the home.</blockquote>

right, but if the seller asks you NOT to disclose something you then know and are therefore obligated to disclose the information correct?</blockquote>
I can't speak for other realtors, but I have thing bad thing called a consciousness so I don't care if the seller told me not to disclose it...if I was required to disclose it I will and make it very clear to the seller why I am required disclosing it. I want to sleep at night and would want to know that info as a buyer.</blockquote>
hahaa i am sorry. i was not clear. i didnt mean you specifically. i meant any realtor has a fiduciary duty to disclose any information they have on the property regardless of who asks them not to. correct? if they choose to do it is another story.

i agree with you though. i would NOT lie for the seller.

who was it that said. "all i have are my balls and my word, and i dont break them for anyone."?

[quote author="graphrix" date=1240071695]Alright, I will give my personal opinion of what I personally expect of a RE agent. By no means is this meant for anyone in particular, by no means should it be taken personally, and it should be taken as my general and personal opinion. Which isn't worth as much as the ?2 it was worth when I first started using ?2.

I want an agent that knows as much, if not more about the area, and or homes I am looking at than me. That means:

* They need to know who the builder was, when it was built, and what it has sold for ever since.

* They need to know the recent comps, as well as the recent foreclosures, who is in foreclosure, what stage of foreclosure, and when they bought and how much debt they have in the neighborhood. (If you don't know how to get this info or the info above, then I am available on a consultant basis.)

* They need to know if there are any soil/construction/lawsuit issues of the neighborhood. And, they should be aware of any permits for McMansion monstrosities that may be in the works that would degrade the neighborhood or block my view.

* They should be aware of any grow houses in the neighborhood. As evidenced by me and by Deuce, they are in some very nice areas, and an area in which I am looking at.

I also want someone who listens for what I really want. I think specializing in a neighborhood only makes agents STEER people into homes they don't really want or cannot afford. Just because you "specialize" in Northpark, because my wants fit into 10 houses there, doesn't mean there are not 120 other homes in Irvine, N. Tustin, or Orange that fit my wants, and at a better price. If you want to specialize in one area, then I expect you to show me homes from other than that area, and refer me to someone else who knows the area... since you admit you don't know anything else but the area that you "specialize" in, otherwise you might be guilty of STEERING people into homes. That, and I think anyone who only "specializes" in one area is either too lazy to learn about other areas or too dumb to. Yeah, I know a lot about VP, OPA, Orange, Tustin, N. Tustin, a chunk of Irvine, and Anaheim Hills, bits of Yorba Linda, the majority of Costa Mesa, most of Newport and NC, some about Laguna Beach, and even a little about S. County... and, it isn't even my job to do so.

So if I give you requirements to what it is I am seeking, then I expect you to branch out of the area, and think outside the box. And, I think if I tell you:

* While I prefer a single story, I would look at home that is two story if the staircase does not lead out the door. Or, if the stove is not directly beneath the master bedroom bed, or any of the other bedroom beds, In fact, it shouldn't be beneath a bedroom. If it is, then I get to slap you across the head. You didn't listen.

* If you show me a home where the front door lines up with the back door or sliding door, then I get to cut your hair how I please. You didn't listen.

* If I see tile all across the main living areas, then I get to kick you in the ass. You didn't listen. WTF is so wrong with carpet in the family/living room anyway? Why does it have to be so cold?

* If there are very few windows in the master, or the windows don't open, then I get to head butt you. You didn't listen.

* If you email me a listing without photos, and you didn't take the time to snap some shots yourself at the broker preview or before (since we all know listings get forward dating), because your fellow Realturd was too lazy to get some up on the MLS, then I get to pick you up by your feet and drop you on your head. You didn't listen.

* If you even dare to show me a home on a lot with less than 8k sqft., then I get to blind fold you, spin you around in circles until you almost puke, and fire my air rifle at you while you spin around in dizzy stupor. You didn't listen.

With all these requirements, and they are only a few of mine, then how can anyone "specialize" in one area. Either work harder to learn the areas, or meet people that do, so that you can refer to them when you know that you are the weaker person for the job.

More importantly, I expect experience on the the escrow front. There are many here who think an RE transaction is as easy as filling out offer contract, but there is a lot more to it, and anyone who has ever been through more than one RE transaction in their life knows that sh*t happens and there will be a problem. I don't ever want to hear: "I don't know", and even more importantly I don't want to hear some BS, only to come find out later that it was BS. I expect that you have the knowledge to solve a problem, or have access to those that do, to solve it without me ever knowing that there was a problem.

I also expect that if there is a property that fits my profile in this market, that if it is cheaper to rent than buy, which is very likely, then I expect to be shown the lease market alternatives to be shown to me as well.

This might be my own personal expectations of a RE agent, and I know I have a lot more, but they are everything I would expect an agent to deliver for any other IHBer, not just me. As I have gotten to know IrvineRealtor, and how he handles the market and his clients, I am confident he will meet my needs as well as any other IHBer when the time is right. Whether that time is now, or whether it is in the future. He knows his place, and is more than willing to refer people to someone who knows more than he does when that is the case. He will also be sure to show you the lease alternatives that are out there, and make sure that the landlord is secure as best as he can tell. Trust me, he got the royal four letter word about Kool-Aid introduction, that most deserve and still should get, but he has the cajones to stick around. He has, and will continue to prove his value to IHB.</blockquote>

I'm sorry i feel asleep. Lots of truth in what you said. I just want proper signage and donuts at the open house...

[quote author="OCCOBRA" date=1240236407][quote author="graphrix" date=1240071695]Alright, I will give my personal opinion of what I personally expect of a RE agent. By no means is this meant for anyone in particular, by no means should it be taken personally, and it should be taken as my general and personal opinion. Which isn't worth as much as the ?2 it was worth when I first started using ?2.

This might be my own personal expectations of a RE agent, and I know I have a lot more, but they are everything I would expect an agent to deliver for any other IHBer, not just me. As I have gotten to know IrvineRealtor, and how he handles the market and his clients, I am confident he will meet my needs as well as any other IHBer when the time is right. Whether that time is now, or whether it is in the future. He knows his place, and is more than willing to refer people to someone who knows more than he does when that is the case. He will also be sure to show you the lease alternatives that are out there, and make sure that the landlord is secure as best as he can tell. Trust me, he got the royal four letter word about Kool-Aid introduction, that most deserve and still should get, but he has the cajones to stick around. He has, and will continue to prove his value to IHB.</blockquote>

I'm sorry i feel asleep. Lots of truth in what you said. I just want proper signage and donuts at the open house...</blockquote>
Donuts at open houses? I like that idea, but they better be fresh. haha

Back