What makes a Realtor "Excellent"?

sugarspunZ_IHB

I have been reading threads on this forum for while and have recently joined. I am curious what you think makes a Realtor "Excellent"?

IMO an excellent Realtor is one who specializes in one area. Be it a geographic area, or a type of transaction like short sales. Someone who has a knowledgeable and professional network of other real estate professionals. Finally, someone who has a working knowledge of real estate law, contracts, and tax implications.

nothing makes me lose respect for a Realtor faster than one who tries and claims to be able to do everything.

thoughts?

Sadly - you see a lawn sign, you phone, and you actually get the realtor. You'd be surprised how rarely that works. Even getting a realtor to call you back after leaving several phone messages is kind of a rarity.

When they can give you accurate comps for listing or putting in an offer on a home.

I have seen some agents use zillow's estimate instead of doing it themselves.

Yeah... I've dealt with many who do not return phone calls or emails... how hard can that be? Do they not want the business?

I think this may be oxymoronic but how about a truthful realtor? Someone who isn't telling you stuff because it will make you buy or sell... but merely because it's true.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240028935]Yeah... I've dealt with many who do not return phone calls or emails... how hard can that be? Do they not want the business?

I think this may be oxymoronic but how about a truthful realtor? Someone who isn't telling you stuff because it will make you buy or sell... but merely because it's true.</blockquote>

i 100% agree that honesty is the best policy. however i have experienced clients who are absolutely delusional about the value of their home and did not choose me as the listing agent because i would not list the property for what they thought it was worth. i can see how some will not be honest just to get the listing. these Realtos are doing the client and themselves a disservice.

[quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240029742][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240028935]Yeah... I've dealt with many who do not return phone calls or emails... how hard can that be? Do they not want the business?

I think this may be oxymoronic but how about a truthful realtor? Someone who isn't telling you stuff because it will make you buy or sell... but merely because it's true.</blockquote>

i 100% agree that honesty is the best policy. however i have experienced clients who are absolutely delusional about the value of their home and did not choose me as the listing agent because i would not list the property for what they thought it was worth. i can see how some will not be honest just to get the listing. these Realtos are doing the client and themselves a disservice.</blockquote>

Isn't that a good thing that you don't get the listing. This way you will not waste your time/money/marketing with a home that will never sell.

And you also don't get profiled on IHB as a WTF listing.

[quote author="halfnote19" date=1240030543][quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240029742][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240028935]Yeah... I've dealt with many who do not return phone calls or emails... how hard can that be? Do they not want the business?

i 100% agree that honesty is the best policy. however i have experienced clients who are absolutely delusional about the value of their home and did not choose me as the listing agent because i would not list the property for what they thought it was worth. i can see how some will not be honest just to get the listing. these Realtos are doing the client and themselves a disservice.</blockquote>

Isn't that a good thing that you don't get the listing. This way you will not waste your time/money/marketing with a home that will never sell.

And you also don't get profiled on IHB as a WTF listing.</blockquote>

hahhahaa its totally a good thing. and what is said "WTF listing"? please direct me in that direction for LULZ?

One that understands that when I look at them all I see is a lockbox code and busywork doer. And one that doesn't say much. That would be nice.

- Responsive

- Experienced

- Intelligent

- Good communication & negotiation skills

- Dependable

- Will return calls at off-hours if need be

- Pays attention to detail

- Not pushy

- Capable of finding creative solutions to problems

- Anticipates your needs

For a listing agent, one who is a professional marketer and is willing to spend big bucks and time to market my property.

A buying agent is a bit more complicated. If I used a buying agent, which I do not, I would want lots of specific neighborhood info such as:

What is the latest scoop on the local schools?

If we are looking at a particular home, is the next door neighbor a psycho? Or does the neighbor engage in inconsiderate behaviors, ie. leaving a car on the lawn, playing loud music or drums, domestic squabbles?

Was there a catastrophic slope failure on the lot three doors down?

Are there some teenage hoodlums living in the neighborhood?

Very importantly, what is the real reason the home I am looking at is for sale? Is the owner experiencing some type of financial distress? Divorce? Business problems? Legal problems? Loss of job?

Does the ocean water come up into the garage during high tide? Yes, this is a real issue with a house I owned.

Is the HOA about to make a special assessment to pay for some high dollar improvement or repair?

Is the city about to make a special tax assessment to pay for crumbling canal walls? Yes, another real situation.

Did somebody die in the house? There is a house in escrow right now and the buyer's agent is an infrequent poster on the IHB. A baby accidentally died in the house more than five years ago and it is my understanding that the limits of the disclosure law is five years. Realtors, please correct me if I am wrong on that. Anyways, the buyer's agent, (not Deuce or USCtroj), is not a local agent and my guess is that the agent does not know of the home's history and as such can not inform his/her client. The listing agent is not a local agent either and he/she may not know either. Although it would not effect my decision to buy, I would sure as heck want to know that type of info before I bought the home.

I would want to know if the home had ever been remodeled or if it ever had any structural problems more than five years ago.

Or does the downstairs family room window have a history of being broken by golf balls driven off the 3rd hole tee?

Does the neighborhood have a history of fire or flood danger?

Did a celebrity ever live in the house causing gawkers to still come by and ring the bell asking for ole what's her name? This really happens.

Is the nice little trail that runs parallel to the back fence actually a coyote and mountain lion trail?

Is a neighbor presently under indictment for child molestation? Megan's law only applies to convicted offenders.

These and others are issues only a honest and local agent who specializes in a particular neighborhood would know. If I were to hire a buyer's agent, I would want an agent who was intimately familiar with the neighborhood I was looking in and was willing and honest enough to share their knowledge.

[quote author="awgee" date=1240036732]For a listing agent, one who is a professional marketer and is willing to spend big bucks and time to market my property.

A buying agent is a bit more complicated. If I used a buying agent, which I do not, I would want lots of specific neighborhood info such as:

If we are looking at a particular home, is the next door neighbor a psycho? Or does the neighbor engage in inconsiderate behaviors, ie. leaving a car on the lawn, playing loud music or drums, domestic squabbles?

Very importantly, what is the real reason the home I am looking at is for sale? Is the owner experiencing some type of financial distress? Divorce? Business problems? Legal problems? Loss of job?

Does the ocean water come up into the garage during high tide? Yes, this is a real issue with a house I owned.

Is the HOA about to make a special assessment to pay for some high dollar improvement or repair?

Is the city about to make a special tax assessment to pay for crumbling canal walls? Yes, another real situation.

Did somebody die in the house? There is a house in escrow right now and the buyer's agent is an infrequent poster on the IHB. A baby accidentally died in the house more than five years ago and it is my understanding that the limits of the disclosure law is five years. Realtors, please correct me if I am wrong on that. Anyways, the buyer's agent, (not Deuce or USCtroj), is not a local agent and my guess is that the agent does not know of the home's history and as such can not inform his/her client. The listing agent is not a local agent either and he/she may not know either. Although it would not effect my decision to buy, I would sure as heck want to know that type of info before I bought the home.

I would want to know if the home had ever been remodeled or if it ever had any structural problems more than five years ago.

Or does the downstairs family room window have a history of being broken by golf balls driven off the 3rd hole tee?

Did a celebrity ever live in the house causing gawkers to still come by and ring the bell asking for ole what's her name? This really happens.

Is the nice little trail that runs parallel to the back fence actually a coyote and mountain lion trail?

Is a neighbor presently under indictment for child molestation? Megan's law only applies to convicted offenders.

These and others are issues only a honest and local agent who specializes in a particular neighborhood would know. If I were to hire a buyer's agent, I would want an agent who was intimately familiar with the neighborhood I was looking in and was willing and honest enough to share their knowledge.</blockquote>

that is a lot of good information to know. how would you find some of this info out. like if a neighbor presently under indictment for child molestation? i assume this is public information but what source would be used to gain this information?

[quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240037218][quote author="awgee" date=1240036732]For a listing agent, one who is a professional marketer and is willing to spend big bucks and time to market my property.

These and others are issues only a honest and local agent who specializes in a particular neighborhood would know. If I were to hire a buyer's agent, I would want an agent who was intimately familiar with the neighborhood I was looking in and was willing and honest enough to share their knowledge.</blockquote>

that is a lot of good information to know. how would you find some of this info out. like if a neighbor presently under indictment for child molestation? i assume this is public information but what source would be used to gain this information?</blockquote>

Realtors who live in and specialize in a particular neighborhood make it a point to keep up on everything that is happening in a neighborhood. That is how they bring value to their service, and separates them from a talking head and form filler outer.

[quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240037575]^^^

i understand that but how would one find that info?</blockquote>
Neighborhood gossip.

Awgee, great list of things to watch out for!

I once attended an open house in which the Realtor could not answer such basic questions such as "do any children live on the street?". She actually told me to try to catch and ask the guy that just left the open house because he was a neighbor.

I'm no fan of the 'Tards, but asking if there are kids on the neighborhood can be a Fair Housing issue. I'd pass on answering it myself. An outgrowth of our lawyer infested society.

My .02 - SGIP

[quote author="awgee" date=1240036732]For a listing agent, one who is a professional marketer and is willing to spend big bucks and time to market my property.

What is the latest scoop on the local schools?</blockquote>

The schools in Coto are great, but there are still plenty of drugs there.

<blockquote>If we are looking at a particular home, is the next door neighbor a psycho?</blockquote>

You can't move next door to yourself, so it's not a problem.

<blockquote>Or does the neighbor engage in inconsiderate behaviors, ie. leaving a car on the lawn, playing loud music or drums, domestic squabbles?</blockquote>

No_vas and I are not looking to buy in the same neighborhood, so you should be safe.

<blockquote>Was there a catastrophic slope failure on the lot three doors down?</blockquote>

Yes, but there is nothing like some rebar, cement, a couple 2X4's, and some duct tape won't cure. Don't worry about the house that has been torn in half, you aren't looking to buy that one, but the one right next to is just fine. Buy extra duct tape.

<blockquote>Are there some teenage hoodlums living in the neighborhood?</blockquote>

All teenagers are hoodlums, you can't escape it, even in Coto. Best bet is to look into Floral Park. BK beats any hoodlum into submission if they get out of line, hence just the fear of that alone prevents teenagers from becoming hoodlums.

<blockquote>Very importantly, what is the real reason the home I am looking at is for sale? Is the owner experiencing some type of financial distress? Divorce? Business problems? Legal problems? Loss of job?</blockquote>

All of the above.

<blockquote>Does the ocean water come up into the garage during high tide? Yes, this is a real issue with a house I owned.</blockquote>

If this happens in Coto... then we have even more serious problems to worry about.

<blockquote>Is the HOA about to make a special assessment to pay for some high dollar improvement or repair?</blockquote>

Yes, their application for TARP money was denied, even though the homeowners had already approved the 4X4 platinum and diamond encrusted gate emblem.

<blockquote>Is the city about to make a special tax assessment to pay for crumbling canal walls? Yes, another real situation.</blockquote>

No, they should get the TARP application approved, but they most like underestimated the costs and you will pay for it later as well as being a taxpayer for TARP.

<blockquote>Did somebody die in the house? There is a house in escrow right now and the buyer's agent is an infrequent poster on the IHB. A baby accidentally died in the house more than five years ago and it is my understanding that the limits of the disclosure law is five years. Realtors, please correct me if I am wrong on that. Anyways, the buyer's agent, (not Deuce or USCtroj), is not a local agent and my guess is that the agent does not know of the home's history and as such can not inform his/her client. The listing agent is not a local agent either and he/she may not know either. Although it would not effect my decision to buy, I would sure as heck want to know that type of info before I bought the home.</blockquote>

Yes, the real reason the husband is missing is the wife killed him and buried him underneath the coat closet. She got fed up with the credit cards being declined for her LV bags. It has become a serious issue for higher-end neighborhoods in OC.

<blockquote>I would want to know if the home had ever been remodeled or if it ever had any structural problems more than five years ago.</blockquote>

If was done in the last five years, then 9 out of 10 times they will have screwed up or did some sloppy work. Call me, I will help fix their screw ups. It's just part of the privilege of being a homeowner.

<blockquote>Or does the downstairs family room window have a history of being broken by golf balls driven off the 3rd hole tee?</blockquote>

I don't play at Coto, so it shouldn't be a problem. If I do, I will call you when I do and make sure I lay up on the hole your home is near, or the one across the way just to be safe.

<blockquote>Does the neighborhood have a history of fire or flood danger?</blockquote>

Dude... you are out in the middle of nowhere desert kindle capital of OC. Duh... but you are paying for the privacy premium. Flood... see comment above about more serious issues.

<blockquote>Did a celebrity ever live in the house causing gawkers to still come by and ring the bell asking for ole what's her name? This really happens.</blockquote>

Someone already bought Slade's house, and all the other housewives are still sipping the Kool-Aid an think their house is worth more than the current market. Unless another housewife character goes through foreclosure, then the likelihood of you buying one is slim. Plus, Warren G's house just ain't your thang yo.

<blockquote>Is the nice little trail that runs parallel to the back fence actually a coyote and mountain lion trail?</blockquote>

Quit being such a sissy! You are tough guy, you can take a mountain lion. Shesh... so much for your rough edges... grandpa.

<blockquote>Is a neighbor presently under indictment for child molestation? Megan's law only applies to convicted offenders.</blockquote>

Just PM me, I will hook you up with the graph googlfu champion background check skills.

<blockquote>These and others are issues only a honest and local agent who specializes in a particular neighborhood would know. If I were to hire a buyer's agent, I would want an agent who was intimately familiar with the neighborhood I was looking in and was willing and honest enough to share their knowledge.</blockquote>

You ask for a lot, but not unreasonable. I bet Deuce is on the occourts website now checking for court cases on his potential homes. Now go beat up a mountain lion to show us that you really haven't lost your man-card.

[quote author="sugarspunZ" date=1240037218][quote author="awgee" date=1240036732]For a listing agent, one who is a professional marketer and is willing to spend big bucks and time to market my property.

that is a lot of good information to know. how would you find some of this info out. like if a neighbor presently under indictment for child molestation? i assume this is public information but what source would be used to gain this information?</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.familywatchdog.us/">Right here</a>

Back