What is the environment of the various Irvine high schools?

What does FCB stand for? I've seen it used in these forums a few times and I can't figure it out!

I don't mind a challenging environment. I'm all for that and don't want my kids to slack off because it will be a shock when they go to college. However, there is a fine line between challenging and cutthroat, self-esteem shattering competition that makes people do crazy things to nine year olds (which makes it hard for those of us who refuse to partake in the madness)!

I was talking to a friend today whose relatives live there, and she says Irvine isn't nearly as competitive as our area. I'm sure she can't be talking about University, but her comment has given me hope for the other schools! (either that or her relatives are cutthroat types ;))

There is a reason for this madness.

Uni is very competitive, but even the kid who sits in the back and does nothing learns much more than average. If they go to class, they will get something. Of course they should study as much as possible and be competitive, but balance is inevitable. Extracurricular activities include just about anything you can think up.

Uni prepares you for University of California. It is meant to be competitive, but even the average can get into great universities.

Lets just say, worst case scenario, your kid doesn't get into UCI or IVY (which is the ultimate goal, right?). Well he can go to IVC and transfer, and the education they received from Uni (or irvine schools in general) will almost guarantee entry into a UC if they actually STUDY. They will study because all their friends from HS will be in UC and its almost a psychological trap to do well and prosper. Brilliant!

Some obvious rules to just run by the kids: save the drinking or smoking for college -- Never is a strong word, but once they are out of high school its in the clear. But its absolute 0 tolerance, so just good to be aware, even once can lead to a disaster.

Cheers!

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1250080110][quote author="ksb1" date=1250078429]What does FCB stand for?</blockquote>Foreign Cash Buyer</blockquote>
I should ask zovall to sticky some of these:

FCB

KC

3WCG

OREOs

NVTVOCIC <-- you guys will never guess that one

Heh.

[quote author="LoudRoar" date=1250082439]

Well he can go to IVC and transfer...

</blockquote>

Ripped from the headlines of the OC Register!

<strong>IRVINE COUPLE FOUND DEAD IN FRONT LAWN</strong>

Irvine, CA - Parents of a student at University High School in Irvine, California, were found dead on the front lawn of their home in the town's prestigious Turtle Rock neighborhood, <em>having committed seppuku after learning their child would not be attending a UC college.</em>

Neighbors were shocked at the news.

"So rarely does something like this happen around here. It's a damn shame," sobbed neighbor Candice Wang. "I mean, IVC? Really??"

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1250080110][quote author="ksb1" date=1250078429]What does FCB stand for?</blockquote>Foreign Cash Buyer</blockquote>

While we're at it. What the hell is IIRC?

[quote author="reason" date=1250124353]

While we're at it. What the hell is IIRC?</blockquote>
If I Remember/Recall Correctly... IIRC (hehe).

Here's a cheatsheet:

<a href="http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/Internet-Acronyms.html">http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/Internet-Acronyms.html</a>

HTH.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1250084463]

Heh.</blockquote>

No Vas Thinks Villages Of Columbus Is Crap

Heh.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1250151310][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1250084463]

Heh.</blockquote>

No Vas Thinks Villages Of Columbus Is Crap

Heh.</blockquote>
I should have said the non-regulars.

To be fair... IR2 came pretty close earlier today.

[quote author="LoudRoar" date=1250082439]There is a reason for this madness.

Uni is very competitive, but even the kid who sits in the back and does nothing learns much more than average. If they go to class, they will get something. Of course they should study as much as possible and be competitive, but balance is inevitable. Extracurricular activities include just about anything you can think up.

</blockquote>

I really do believe this is true. My spouse and I were both the kind of students who would live up to (and down to) whatever everyone else was doing. In his case, as his father put it, "He'll be a 'B' student no matter what school he goes to. In that case, I'd rather he be a 'B' student at a good school rather than at a bad school."

When I went to Uni, if you had to take a class, you would rather take the honors version rather than the regular version because of the quality of the teachers. The honors and AP teachers were fabulous. They really knew how to make the subject come alive. And it is not just the teachers that made the classes special, it was the intellectual caliber of the students themselves. It really shows up in the class discussions. I remember taking non-honors/non-AP versions of classes, and it was actually harder to learn anything because listening to the teacher was lthe equivalent of watching paint dry. Most of the kids just weren't prepared or not interested enough to have a productive discussion. It was agonizing to be in a non-honors class. The pace was so slow. I swear it took at least 15 minutes to take the roll every day.

Question.. We're looking to buy in Tustin where the API scores are lower than Irvine schools. The house I'm interested in belongs to Beckman High which I'm quite happy about. However, the elementary school and middle school (Tustin Ranch and Utt) are both around 800-850 in terms of API scores. They're both ranked 8 from a scale of 1 to 10.

I grew up in Fountain Valley where all the schools I went to are ranked 9 or 10. Is there a big difference between an API score of 8 and a score of 10?

I'm fearful that my son won't have adequate schooling in his elementary and middle school years that by the time he reaches high school, he will be far behind everyone else.

Is there anyone here on this forum that's currently going to Tustin Ranch or Utt Middle School?

[quote author="plin924" date=1253685289]Question.. We're looking to buy in Tustin where the API scores are lower than Irvine schools. The house I'm interested in belongs to Beckman High which I'm quite happy about. However, the elementary school and middle school (Tustin Ranch and Utt) are both around 800-850 in terms of API scores. They're both ranked 8 from a scale of 1 to 10.

I grew up in Fountain Valley where all the schools I went to are ranked 9 or 10. Is there a big difference between an API score of 8 and a score of 10?

I'm fearful that my son won't have adequate schooling in his elementary and middle school years that by the time he reaches high school, he will be far behind everyone else.

Is there anyone here on this forum that's currently going to Tustin Ranch or Utt Middle School?</blockquote>

I don't have any direct experience with Tustin schools, but I wouldn't worry about your son being behind anyone else...especially since his classmates from elementary and middle school would also be going to his high school, right?

[quote author="plin924" date=1253685289]Question.. We're looking to buy in Tustin where the API scores are lower than Irvine schools. The house I'm interested in belongs to Beckman High which I'm quite happy about. However, the elementary school and middle school (Tustin Ranch and Utt) are both around 800-850 in terms of API scores. They're both ranked 8 from a scale of 1 to 10.

Is there anyone here on this forum that's currently going to Tustin Ranch or Utt Middle School?</blockquote>

Oh, please stop. Your son will be fine. It's up to you.

[quote author="ksb1" date=1249690141]Thanks! I've been reading the posts - would love to hear more feedback!

</blockquote>

Ok, you asked for it......

I have read these posts and your thread starter, and I think this is all poppycock!

"Oh please..... tell me a good school, but not one that is TOO good, because I don't want my precious daughter to not be at the top of her class."

What a bunch of bull!

And this nonsense about the parents being pushy if your kid goes to UNI. I will be a UNI parent in a couple years, and I am about as laid back and low maintenance as they come.

Some people REALLY overthink things.

Now that my kid has homework... I'm a bit worried about the "competitiveness" of Irvine schools.

When it comes down to it... I don't really care all that much about the "educational edge"... but more about the safety. It doesn't matter to me all that much what the API scores are... just as long as my kid doesn't have to worry about getting beat up or targeted by a gang.

I'm sure many of us got into good colleges from mediocre high schools... so I'm not too worried there. In fact, I'd probably prefer my kids to go to a junior college first so they can really decide what type of education they want to pursue.

It's funny... because my wife always thought I was going to be some educational task master... I just want my kids to be kids.

[quote author="ksb1" date=1249525713] Diversity is also important (we are of Indian origin, btw, and I wouldn't want my kids to be the only Indian kids in school - not that this would happen in Irvine!). Irvine HS and Woodbridge HS sound promising. Are the kids down to earth?

What are they REALLY like? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!</blockquote>

There is one school in the Mission district in Fremont where the student body consists of White, Indians with dot not feather and Chinese. To most folks this is diversity. Irvine schools has no diversity just like Fremont. Home prices there because of top rated school developers priced their home too high thus pretty much eliminated Blacks and Hispanics in the population.

I think what you meant by "diversify" is when the white kids do pick on minority kids not necessarily a melting pot of White, Blacks, Latinos, Asians and Indians.

Irvine is not a down to earth place. Kids are carbon copies of their parents. There may be a few exceptions but many I have observed not met left me an impression of a very snobbish attitude.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1253953158][quote author="ksb1" date=1249525713] Diversity is also important (we are of Indian origin, btw, and I wouldn't want my kids to be the only Indian kids in school - not that this would happen in Irvine!). Irvine HS and Woodbridge HS sound promising. Are the kids down to earth?

What are they REALLY like? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!</blockquote>

There is one school in the Mission district in Fremont where the student body consists of White, Indians with dot not feather and Chinese. To most folks this is diversity. Irvine schools has no diversity just like Fremont. Home prices there because of top rated school developers priced their home too high thus pretty much eliminated Blacks and Hispanics in the population.

I think what you meant by "diversify" is when the white kids do pick on minority kids not necessarily a melting pot of White, Blacks, Latinos, Asians and Indians.

Irvine is not a down to earth place. Kids are carbon copies of their parents. There may be a few exceptions but many I have observed not met left me an impression of a very snobbish attitude.</blockquote>

As I was walking the streets of the Bay Area recently, it was evident to me how homogeneous Irvine was. People in Irvine are very much the same. There are different skin colors but the majority are yuppies fearful of outsiders. I was sitting at a coffee shop in a downtown area of Oakland. I watch all types of people walk by.. men in $3,000 suits, hippies, nerdy Asian students, Prius driving eco snobs, rich bitties, homeless bums, etc. It was all so random.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1253953158][quote author="ksb1" date=1249525713] Diversity is also important (we are of Indian origin, btw, and I wouldn't want my kids to be the only Indian kids in school - not that this would happen in Irvine!). Irvine HS and Woodbridge HS sound promising. Are the kids down to earth?

Irvine is not a down to earth place. Kids are carbon copies of their parents. There may be a few exceptions but many I have observed not met left me an impression of a very snobbish attitude.</blockquote>

My son goes to Rancho Middle School and has never been so happy. He loves the teachers, he loves the atmosphere, and he made a ton of friends the first day of school. If you met my son, you would see that the word "snobbish" would never come to your mind. He is one of the most laid back and loving kids you will ever meet. I guess he is but one guppy in the sea of snobs that will attend Uni High in less than two years [sarcasm intended].

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1253954050]

As I was walking the streets of the Bay Area recently, it was evident to me how homogeneous Irvine was. People in Irvine are very much the same. There are different skin colors but the majority are yuppies fearful of outsiders. I was sitting at a coffee shop in a downtown area of Oakland. I watch all types of people walk by.. men in $3,000 suits, hippies, nerdy Asian students, Prius driving eco snobs, rich bitties, homeless bums, etc. It was all so random.</blockquote>

I don't think Oakland and Irvine are really comparable. More like Oakland vs. Long Beach. Irvine vs. Fremont*.

Irvine is pretty homogeneous, no doubt. But most any city with a similar income profile is even more homogeneous than Irvine.

edit: *taking a look at the numbers, bk's comparison above is even better. Fremont and Irvine are a pretty close fit numbers-wise. And I wouldn't really consider either place especially diverse.

Back