What I think every family home should have...

Funny how before you have kids... schools near where you live don't figure into the equation.... and then when you have kids... it's all about the schools.

That's why Woodbury was a draw for us because of the proximity of the school but very packed like other posters have said and we just can't find a floorplan that we would pay that type of dollar for.

It was a minus for Portola because they weren't sure if there was a school that would be built in the community and I guess the Stonegate one verifies that.

We like the prospect of hillside living which points towards Quail Hill... or Orchard Hills... or Laguna Crossing... the last 2 probably not getting built until the real estate cycle restarts which is another 5 years... heh.

A house should have its own driveway. I used to live in Wisteria in West Irvine (California Pacific 4 pack cluster home) and there were many residents there who had more than two cars or used their garages for something other than parking. As a result, the street in front of my front door became my neighbors' permanent parking space. Alley loaded homes only look nice when they are not blocked by parked cars.

[quote author="IACRenter" date=1220961859][quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1220941015]

6. Two single car garages instead of one double. I guess I should be happy - the townhouse is the only plan in the community with two garages. And since it's just me, I'll be able to use the second garage for storage. That is a big thing - certainly makes the high rent seem a little more justifiable.

</blockquote>

I don't know about you using that 2nd garage for storage. IAC is pretty strict about parking regulations even for half empty properties (i.e. OH & PS). They normally do a garage inspection 2-3 times per year and require you to have enough space in the garage to park your car. They don't want people using their garages as permanent business centers, storage units, or even ping pong courts while at the same time leaving their vehicle out in the open parking lots. Maybe you can tell them your 2nd garage is for your <a href="http://www.smartusa.com/">Smart car</a> ;-)</blockquote>

Mirasol is unique among IAC communities in that they will in fact specifically be allowing this. Guess they're building plenty of extra parking spots?

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1220963762]ISM -

You mentioned the high rent price... do you mind sharing what those prices are running??? I'm in the IAC Rentals across in Woodbury.

Thx!</blockquote>

Townhomes start at about $2800. They are really big for IAC apartments, though (1440 sq. ft).

(sorry to have hijacked this thread with my moving plans!!!)

Okay, my usually decisive self is jumping all over the map on this. After visiting Woodbury Place today, I have now switched over from Mirasol to Woodbury Place! (And in the middle of this I bugged dear sweet IR2 to see if he could find me any private listings in Woodbury village... :) )

I had never actually seen the Plan D's in WP and when I walked into one today, it felt like home. Kinda smallish, but excellent layout for me, and nice design features including laminate wood floors, fancy cabinetry, and an adorable under-stairs storage spot that my son immediately claimed ownership over (this is the secret kids-only room, mama!). The two-car garage is attached, and there is a good-sized patio that will fit all my potted plants and then some.

I move in mid-October. And, best of all, it's an approved dog location and we're going to get a puppy!!!

I am very excited, and I actually think that this is it - I'm not going to change my mind again. %-P At least, I don't think so!

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1221043277](sorry to have hijacked this thread with my moving plans!!!)

Okay, my usually decisive self is jumping all over the map on this. After visiting Woodbury Place today, I have now switched over from Mirasol to Woodbury Place! (And in the middle of this I bugged dear sweet IR2 to see if he could find me any private listings in Woodbury village... :) )

I had never actually seen the Plan D's in WP and when I walked into one today, it felt like home. Kinda smallish, but excellent layout for me, and nice design features including laminate wood floors, fancy cabinetry, and an adorable under-stairs storage spot that my son immediately claimed ownership over (this is the secret kids-only room, mama!). The two-car garage is attached, and there is a good-sized patio that will fit all my potted plants and then some.

I move in mid-October. And, best of all, it's an approved dog location and we're going to get a puppy!!!

I am very excited, and I actually think that this is it - I'm not going to change my mind again. %-P At least, I don't think so!</blockquote>

Welcome to the hood! I have an E unit. You will love it here. Easy walk to Woodbury shopping center and the Commons. The WP club house and pool are nice. Just make sure you come to a complete stop at all the intersections or face the wrath of Irvine PD ;-)

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1221043277](sorry to have hijacked this thread with my moving plans!!!)</blockquote>
Actually it's on-topic as we can see what type of floorplan/features your home should have.

I like the main floor open kitchen/dining/living area... it has an island which is not common. The office area can be used as the dining area if you choose.

Attached garage is great... I didn't realize the other place wasn't attached.

At least Woodbury is fully built out and I really like their retail town center. The main park/pool area is really top notch.

The only difference is the school but at least the Woodbury one is already open.

We would like to live in Woodbury... I'm just not too happy with the floorplans/neighborhoods in our price range.

Back to the thread--I am a sucker for loft spaces if you have the space. I just like the idea of having a flex space on the 2nd floor--office, playroom, media room, teen room, etc... I also love sky lights--you can never have enough natural light in a home.

[quote author="IACRenter" date=1221121192]Back to the thread--I am a sucker for loft spaces if you have the space. I just like the idea of having a flex space on the 2nd floor--office, playroom, media room, teen room, etc... I also love sky lights--you can never have enough natural light in a home.</blockquote>
I have never had skylights until my recent rental.

I don't like how they get dirty, and you can't clean them.

It drives me crazy. :shut:

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1221043277](sorry to have hijacked this thread with my moving plans!!!)

I am very excited, and I actually think that this is it - I'm not going to change my mind again. %-P At least, I don't think so!</blockquote>

You'll be my neighbor too! :)

How do you people feel about casitas?

I read a post in the Prado thread that said that they thought casitas were not a good feature for home design but I don't agree with that.

The one thing I would like for a casita to have is another entrance directly into the home, so you can have the option of it being a standalone living space (with it's separate outer entrance) or an expansion of your inside living space.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1221170889]How do you people feel about casitas?

I read a post in the Prado thread that said that they thought casitas were not a good feature for home design but I don't agree with that.

The one thing I would like for a casita to have is another entrance directly into the home, so you can have the option of it being a standalone living space (with it's separate outer entrance) or an expansion of your inside living space.</blockquote>

I saw a casita above a 3rd car garage in <a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/405-Hudson-Dr-92782/home/5957070">Tustin Field</a> with its own entrance but no bathroom. That is a big no no to me. Otherwise it will be just be another remote bonus room. My favorite one so far was one I saw and was profiled on IHB in <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/fire-sale/">Northwood II</a>. Not sure what happened to that property since it was a short sale. Maybe it will go REO and come back again.

[quote author="IACRenter" date=1221206227][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1221170889]How do you people feel about casitas?

The one thing I would like for a casita to have is another entrance directly into the home, so you can have the option of it being a standalone living space (with it's separate outer entrance) or an expansion of your inside living space.</blockquote>

I saw a casita above a 3rd car garage in <a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/405-Hudson-Dr-92782/home/5957070">Tustin Field</a> with its own entrance but no bathroom. That is a big no no to me. Otherwise it will be just be another remote bonus room. My favorite one so far was one I saw and was profiled on IHB in <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/fire-sale/">Northwood II</a>. Not sure what happened to that property since it was a short sale. Maybe it will go REO and come back again.</blockquote>

Re: the Northwood II property at 59 Fire Thorn, IR's profile in June didn't mention that the owner filed for bankruptcy in April, which will delay things. This looked like an unapproved short sale attempt back then. NOD was recorded on 8/22/08, so you may see this one as an REO before the end of the year, depending on the BK status. Might get yerself that casita sooner than you thought!

Things I need:

1. bedrooms... preferably one per person.

2. bathrooms... preferably one per person.

3. laundry room... can be anywhere... the exercise is good for you.

4. 2 car garage... 3 is optional

5. front yard with trees

6. back yard with trees

7. kitchen/dining/living room

8. office/media/family room

i think most families in santa ana, anaheim, or garden grove do not have all of these items.

perhaps they are available in irvine or huntington.

quite frankly, i think 60% of orange county residents have to make do with limited space.

perhaps 40% of the residents have the bed/bath configurations of their desires.

My greatest "I live in another house" dreams (real REM sleep!) always involve a second "secret" kitchen. I would love that! I guess I think that the original thread should read, What every family's dream home should have".

Holy Necro-moley!

I like a second kitchen too... but my in-law calls it the "dirty" kitchen. It's usually in the backyard and consists of a sink, a stove and oven. So you can cook without odorizing... or dirtying... the house.

Edit: in = it (man I'm OCD about typos)

I would really LOVE one of those outdoor kitchens and an outdoor shower to boot! I'd have a wood fired stove so that we could make the absolute most perfect pizza. Of course the sauce would be made from home grown tomatos.

A friend of mine has an outdoor shower but that's because he has a pool.

In Irvine, houses are so close to each other... I don't think you want to take an outdoor shower in your birthday suit... it might end up on YouTube.

Back