What does it take for an eatery to succeed?

momopi said:
I wouldn't eat at Burger King even with coupon.

I don't eat burgers often (sorry qwerburger) but I prefer BK and Carls burgers over Jack, McDs et al. I guess I prefer flame broiled vs flat fried.

Is it just me, or is Carls really overpriced?

No...I ate the standard pink slime whopper.  I don't think they have coupons for the meatless burgers.

zubs said:
No...I ate the standard pink slime whopper.  I don't think they have coupons for the meatless burgers.

Oh looking for feedback regarding the meatless products.  ;)

irvinehomeowner said:
momopi said:

I don't eat burgers often (sorry qwerburger) but I prefer BK and Carls burgers over Jack, McDs et al. I guess I prefer flame broiled vs flat fried.

Carl's is more expensive now than a few years ago but then so is McD (although McD has more discounts). But you can't really put a price on the glorious, unequaled Western Bacon Cheeseburger.

Can't beat In N Out for value though: that's the difference between a wholesome family owned business and a hedge fund/venture capitalist/investor/Wall St. owned investment vehicle.

Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:
momopi said:

Carl's is more expensive now than a few years ago but then so is McD (although McD has more discounts). But you can't really put a price on the glorious, unequaled Western Bacon Cheeseburger.

Can't beat In N Out for value though: that's the difference between a wholesome family owned business and a hedge fund/venture capitalist/investor/Wall St. owned investment vehicle.

I think Carl?s has more coupon discounts than MCD. MCD deals through app decreased from like last year.

Carl's also lets you use multiple coupons per order and accepts expired coupons...

Famous Star with cheese is still pretty high on my list.

aquabliss said:
Carl's also lets you use multiple coupons per order and accepts expired coupons...

Speaking a pro.  ;)
Any other deals?

eyephone said:
aquabliss said:

Speaking a pro.  ;)
Any other deals?

Ya, always trying to save a buck.  I have 2 kids so it?s cheaper to go to counter service restaurants and I use a Buy-One-Get-One coupon for me and my son, then my wife orders behind me for her and my daughter. 

They had Corner Bakery BOGO on Retail Therapy for awhile but gone now, that was like 4 big meals for $20.  Right now on Retail Therapy they have BOGO:
Sajj Mediterranean
Tacos & Co
Wahoos
Jimboys
Olives Branch
Daphne?s
Sharkys
Southern Spice
Jersey Mikes

So *any* of these places you should be able to get 4 big meals for $20 or a bit less.

For the ones that are premium offers just make new gmails and login under a different name and you can reuse. 

For fancy dinners I use my AMEX dining offers and combine them with coupons.  Wife and I got 2 Ribeyes at Paul Martin for around $35 total. :)

aquabliss said:

Del lets you use expired coupons too, bogo bean and cheese burritos, no red sauce, add chipotle sauce is great when in a rush. 

In addition to what @aquabliss stated above, the Irvine Co coupon book has good bogo coupons too, the ones you get visiting Irvine Co new home developments or if your company is in a Irvine Co building.  Irvine Co also sends out those quarterly coupon books in the mail that have a decent amount of bogo coupons.  I remember seeing a ton of bogo western bacon cheeseburgers for @Happiness 

Ya the best deal at Del Taco is to get their Black Friday / cyber Monday Buy $100GC get 8 free combos.  Every year by Feb I despise Del Taco because I?ve eaten so much of it with my GC and 8 combos haha.

Retail Therapy app is good. We use the 20% El Pollo Loco one.

I forgot about the Jersey Mike?s one and was just there recently. :(

IMO the issue with Farrell's is that it's not a place where you would frequently go with your family.  It's like once in a while treat for kids.  For smaller ice cream shops with lower overhead they can survive, but Ferrell's is large and costly to run.

Places like Cracker Barrel's serve breakfast lunch and dinner, and when they slowly spread to CA they were careful to choose inexpensive inland locations and provide menus online in both English and Spanish.  Farrell's on the other hand went for fairly expensive locations like downtown Brea and Knotts Berry Farm.

p.s. Vegan, non-dairy, and low-carb ice cream quality has improved greatly over the past decade.

Back