Where's the pork?

socal78

Alright, you Chinese, what have you done with my pork?!? And why??

I've noticed all the fast, take-out type chains have done away with my favorites - Sweet & Sour Pork and BBQ Pork.

I still go to a hole in the wall, little family-owned place for take-out which serves the BBQ Pork which I'm eating as I type, but they also confirmed they did away with the S&S. The sit-down type places still seem to serve it, though. My favorite is China Palace in Tustin. Last I checked, they still have a good selection of pork dishes.

Sigh. When I open my Amish-Asian restaurant, Bobaschnitzel?, I will be making room in the glass case for S&S Pork right next to the Hot German Potato Salad.

SoCal said:
Alright, you Chinese, what have you done with my pork?!? And why??

I've noticed all the fast, take-out type chains have done away with my favorites - Sweet & Sour Pork and BBQ Pork.

I still go to a hole in the wall, little family-owned place for take-out which serves the BBQ Pork which I'm eating as I type, but they also confirmed they did away with the S&S. The sit-down type places still seem to serve it, though. My favorite is China Palace in Tustin. Last I checked, they still have a good selection of pork dishes.

Sigh. When I open my Amish-Asian restaurant, Bobaschnitzel?, I will be making room in the glass case for S&S Pork right next to the Hot German Potato Salad.

Wait.  People actually eat at China Palace? 
I thought it was some kind of museum.  #forwhitiesonly

When my family owned a restaurant in the 80s sweet and sour pork was the most popular dish.  Battered pork chunks deep fried, green peppers and onions, lots of super bright food coloring sweet sour sauce.  It looked artificial and tasted great.  Especially when the batter is still crunchy from the fryer.  Went great with two scoops of fried rice and an egg roll.  We use to have Chinese BBQ ribs, same Canto seasoning but on the bone spareribs that gets baked in the hot oven.  The burnt ends were great (but probably cancerous)

Maybe too unhealthy in current times?  I believe Ren on Portola has a sweet and sour dish.  They have BBQ pork as well.  Good luck.

ps9 said:
When my family owned a restaurant in the 80s sweet and sour pork was the most popular dish.  Battered pork chunks deep fried, green peppers and onions, lots of super bright food coloring sweet sour sauce.  It looked artificial and tasted great.  Especially when the batter is still crunchy from the fryer.  Went great with two scoops of fried rice and an egg roll.  We use to have Chinese BBQ ribs, same Canto seasoning but on the bone spareribs that gets baked in the hot oven.  The burnt ends were great (but probably cancerous)

Maybe too unhealthy in current times?  I believe Ren on Portola has a sweet and sour dish.  They have BBQ pork as well.  Good luck.

Where was your place? 

Right now, people are kinda bipolar on healthiness. 
Bacon-wrapped/deep fried everything vs. GF/Organic everything.

I'm in the unhealthy camp-- tastes better AND costs less.  Win/win.

WTTCMN said:
ob1 said:
ps9 said:

Where was your place? 

Right now, people are kinda bipolar on healthiness. 
Bacon-wrapped/deep fried everything vs. GF/Organic everything.

I'm in the unhealthy camp-- tastes better AND costs less.  Win/win.

Yup - definitely bipolar.  Except I noticed that it's within the same person.  I have friends that do the bacon/fatty/fried stuff one day and then the next, they're doing a blueprint cleanse followed by a day of eating chia this/paleo that.  Then back to overindulging.

Guilty.  Although not as extreme. 
Work out/eat healthy during the week and binge on the weekend. 
Keeps my metabolism guessing.

ob1 said:
Wait.  People actually eat at China Palace? 
I thought it was some kind of museum.  #forwhitiesonly

:( But it's yummy in my tummy.

Very nice staff. Good service, too.

Back