What do you guys think after today's vote?

What about following section?

?It probably appears to be a compromise, but I think it?s a first step into potential sabotage of the cemetery,? Schott said. ?I think it?s very dangerous for the effort in general to go in another direction or to send a signal that we are hesitating or that we are double-minded.?
"

Also, getting $38m from state by June 15 sounds tough.

Big ups to that YF.

I personally would rather see a memorial site go there instead more houses & strip malls. 

Traffic is already getting out of hand.  It's going to get worse as the many thousand new homes are built & occupied.

Idgaf if the village wizard says a cemetery near housing is bad ju ju.  I do gaf that population growth in Irvine is accelerating the consumption of our limited natural resources.

That conditional part (the state has to match with an additional $38 million) to complete the first phase seems like a tricky way out.  "Oh sorry guys, we love veterans but the state won't give us money.  Tough luck.  Hey Five Points, want to buy some land? Oh look at that, more building permit fees!  We love those too!"  I hope I'm wrong on that though.

someguy said:
That conditional part (the state has to match with an additional $38 million) to complete the first phase seems like a tricky way out.  "Oh sorry guys, we love veterans but the state won't give us money.

I think you're right. Also --  "If the state cannot come up with the matching fund by June 15, the City Council will once again weigh the options." -- Coming up with this short deadline adds to the disingenuous tone of it all.

YellowFever said:
How about open another CFD MR tax. Make the new GP homeowners pay for it! They're already paying $6-10k in MR. What's another $3k?  ;D

;D ;D I honestly wouldn't rule that out.

"Mello Roos: Nailing new homebuyers in California since 1982. Truly our proudest accomplishment."
- Senator Henry J. Mello (D-Watsonville) and Assemblyman Mike Roos (D-Los Angeles)

someguy said:
YellowFever said:
How about open another CFD MR tax. Make the new GP homeowners pay for it! They're already paying $6-10k in MR. What's another $3k?  ;D

;D ;D I honestly wouldn't rule that out.

"Mello Roos: Nailing new homebuyers in California since 1982. Truly our proudest accomplishment."
- Senator Henry J. Mello (D-Watsonville) and Assemblyman Mike Roos (D-Los Angeles)

My argument: Double taxation
;)

OCLuvr said:

$38 million is chump change when its not your own money (sarcasm intended).  Last year the city got voter approval to issue $300 million in bonds for school improvements.  Back during the last recession, bond funding was approved to provide funds for the school district.  Why not take this $38 million and pay down the bonds so the property owners don't have to foot so much of the bill for school improvements.  While I don't begrudge the veterans of a cemetery, the city of Irvine should not bear responsibility for funding it.  I can think of other uses for this $38 million that would better benefit the residents of Irvine.

irvine buyer said:
OCLuvr said:

$38 million is chump change when its not your own money (sarcasm intended).  Last year the city got voter approval to issue $300 million in bonds for school improvements.  Back during the last recession, bond funding was approved to provide funds for the school district.  Why not take this $38 million and pay down the bonds so the property owners don't have to foot so much of the bill for school improvements.  While I don't begrudge the veterans of a cemetery, the city of Irvine should not bear responsibility for funding it.  I can think of other uses for this $38 million that would better benefit the residents of Irvine.

A million here and million there...when will the city realize it's not their money! This is not a good use of our tax dollars.

OCLuvr said:
It is not about white or oriental. It is about money.

You got that right.  As if the veterans didn't suck up enough taxpayer money in life, they continue to suck more taxpayer money in death.

OCLuvr said:

The city/state money argument is so much transparent BS. Think about this:

Killing the cemetery will nohow make this nasty contaminated plot so close to your homes, high school and golf course somehow miraculously pristine for safe human use.

If there is or never is a cemetery on that site, the city will still have to pay to get it clean, if possible. Spend it now, spend it later, they (meaning you) are gonna have to pay.

Only one way out. It's a no-brainer.

iacrenter said:
A million here and million there...when will the city realize it's not their money! This is not a good use of our tax dollars.

It would be nice if our tax dollars went to the schools instead of these boondoggles.

They spend $60M each for underpasses. Have $292M coming from the state for the Great Park. Chump change to them. It's only your money after all.

Back