What city would you live in other than Irvine?

What city would you live in other than Irvine?

• Tustin Ranch

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • North Tustin

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Santa Ana

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Costa Mesa

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Fountain Valley

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Aliso Viejo

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Mission Viejo

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Lake Forest

• Foothill Ranch

• Rancho Santa Margarita

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Coto De Caza (for awgee)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Laguna Niguel

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other (please indicate)

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters
Patrick Star said:
Really, how many times can we let IHO compare which neighboring cities we would live in?
Hey now... this is just a ploy to get my wife to stop making me look at homes in Ladera Ranch. I don't want to live in a bowl.

But Tustin Ranch isn't helping... it's just as expensive as Irvine.

Patrick Star said:
diulei said:
Wow... what a strange turn this thread took.

Strange turn?  GREAT turn!!  Really, how many times can we let IHO compare which neighboring cities we would live in?  The only real question on Talk Irvine is "which zip code in Irvine would you consider other than 92620?". 

My prediction on the results of that poll:

Assume 25 Total Votes:

23:  92603 (UNI Baby --- my kid is going to Harvard!)
1: 92618 (Panda thinks Portola Springs will be better than Woodbury in 75 years)
1: 92602 (Pat Star says but, but, but Tustin School District is almost as good as IUSD!!)

And by the way, Panda is all at fault for the thread.  He said K-town, JC posted cheerleaders....and I was off to the races after that.

All i said was K-Town and you and jumpcut starts busting out videos of K-Hoochee mammas.

Have any of you seriously considered looking out of California? Couple of weeks ago I took a peek at how the final phases of Montecitos and Sonomas were developing... man.... for the first time in my life, I felt sorry for these guys. Montecitos looked like Coach condominiums and I never understood why Patrick Star was making such a big deal out of the motor courts, but it seeing it close really really sucks the big one. These were nothing like how the models looked at the Woodbury open in jan 2010.   

irvinehomeowner said:
Patrick Star said:
Really, how many times can we let IHO compare which neighboring cities we would live in?
Hey now... this is just a ploy to get my wife to stop making me look at homes in Ladera Ranch. I don't want to live in a bowl.

But Tustin Ranch isn't helping... it's just as expensive as Irvine.

correct if i'm wrong, but didn't they evacuate Tustin Ranch during the fires?  That alone takes it off my list along with portola springs. 

Patrick Star said:
fe9000 said:
( Nobody and Nobody but you.....Nobody and Nobody but you.....)

Ah the Wonder Girls.  Just played HOB at Downtown Disney last month.  Does it get any better than a kpop girl group covering the Pussycat Dolls?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOq7y-qfT1E&feature=related[/youtube]

It's ok, FE --- you are in the club.  We'll get you up to speed soon enough.

Wooo Hooo, Yes!!! 

That's right Wonder Girls.  You know your stuff.

Patrick Star said:
Panda said:
Have any of you seriously considered looking out of California? 

Yes.  But then I looked.  And not that those other places are not fine places to live, but there is nowhere like here.

CK, you know how obsessed i was with Irvine since the inception of IHB. I think seeing the prices at the New Woodbury open in January was when i threw in towel. Trojan told me that he thinks that Irvine homes prices will be flat for the next ten years. I sort of agree with him as these home prices are tapped out to the max. My prediction in the next ten years is that other emerging cities like  (Dallas, Raleigh. Atlanta etc) will rise while Irvine will flat line for the next decade. Now i am not saying that an emerging city will be 1 to 1 ratio with Irvine, but going from a 1 to 3 ratio to 1 to 2 ratio is probable in my opinion in the next decade. As of many of you know my wife and I decided to make Johns Creek, GA our new home. We all like Irvine for the cleaniness, job centers, 5:3 White/Asian ratio, schools, weather, and beaches, but the for the average salary man.. Irvine is way over priced for what it offers. I know majority of you have deep roots, family, friends in Irvine and looking outside of Irvine is not an option, but for the few who are desperately looking for alternatives I highly encourage you to look outside.

Here is a snap shot profile of a elementary and high school in Johns Creek. Shakerag Elementary is ranked #3 in the state. According to Newsweek 2010, Northview High School ranks higher and beats out all the Irvine High Schools accept for University High.

e5si85.jpg

2d79fsx.jpg

When i look at Johns Creek demographics today, it is snap shot of what Irvine looked like in 1990. Here is the profile difference.

Irvine Population is 200k                                            Johns Creek Population is 80k
Irvine median income is $109,000                              Johns Creek Median income is $140,000
Irvine home prices have retraced to '04/'05 levels      Johns Creek home prices have retaced back to '00 levels. That is 10    year ago prices.
Irvine has the Spectrum                                              Johns Creek has the Johns Creek Technology Park.
                                                                                    (looks similar to the Spectrum development in the late 80s)
Irvine's HOA is $400 month                                        My new Johns Creek home will have an HOA of $400 a year. 
Irvine has 2 Hmarts nearby                                        Johns Creek has 5 HMARTs nearby
Irvine's large asian makeup are Chinese&Korean      Johns Creek's largest asian makeup are Indians & Koreans.

Usually a hot emerging city is under the radar which is what I believe of Johns Creek. Once Irvine hit #4 best place to live in Money Magazine, the city is already well known. Nobody know about Johns Creek, no one talks about how desirable Johns Creek will be, but in the next 4-5 years, people will start to talk.

Panda: But how is the weather? There is a reason why people live and vacation in SoCal... and it's not because of IHO view lot (well... for most).

irvinehomeowner said:
Panda: But how is the weather? There is a reason why people live and vacation in SoCal... and it's not because of IHO view lot (well... for most).

Nothing beats SoCal weather! I am not arguing that. I might pay 25% premium to Chicago for the weather, but not 100%. Atlanta's summers are hot and humid, but it doesn't snow. I can tolerate the heat, but i can't stand the harsh Chicago winters.

IHO, my thread is not about Atlanta is better than Irvine, because clearly i would be full of it if that is what i am saying. I am just saying from a pure opportunity/investment stand point, long run I am placing my money in Atlanta over Irvine. When I purchased my first bullion in 2005, no knew about gold among my circle of friends, and these days it seems that everyone is talking about it, while the margins are much thinner. I feel that same way about gold bullions with Irvine. I will confidently say that Johns Creek has a much better upside potential than Irvine in the next ten years. 

Panda said:
IHO, my thread is not about Atlanta is better than Irvine, because clearly i would be full of it if that is what i am saying. I am just saying from a pure opportunity/investment stand point, long run I am placing my money in Atlanta over Irvine. When I purchased my first bullion in 2005, no knew about gold among my circle of friends, and these days it seems that everyone is talking about it, while the margins are much thinner. I feel that same way about gold bullions with Irvine. I will confidently say that Johns Creek has a much better upside potential than Irvine in the next ten years.
But it depends.

While your initial investment may be less... your total profit may be the same... and you're still stuck with hot and humid weather.

Investment strategies for where you want to live is not cut and dried... I can apply your same logic locally by choosing to live in some other close-by city instead of Irvine. In fact, it is probably a better investment because for $200k less, I can get a 3-car garage, 2500sft and a large lot. And while I still get the great weather, there are other factors to consider.

Just like people talk about architecture and big lots... that's all dandy... but location trumps all. So even though I may not get a 3CWG, I'm still living in the place that is most convenient for my family.

And although many do not see the appeal of Irvine... for those that do... it comes down to one simple thing when looking to live in any other city... it's not Irvine. People feel the same about Pasadena, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach... even Floral Park (heh).

jumpcut said:
Patrick Star said:
Back to music, I'll speak for myself that my wife is really into the kpop (not to mention to TV dramas --- and so by default I get to see/hear a lot of it. Even though my wife is Taiwanese, she just likes the kpop style of music a lot more than the c-pop, which tends to be a little more down-tempo, with some exceptions --- see below.  I'll admit --- I do actually like a lot of the kpop music, not just the girls.  I even like a lot of the music of the kpop boy bands and rap groups (although they are a little hard to watch sometimes just based on their clothes and hair).  My wife and I are just both really into music of all types, kpop being one of those. We just appreciate talent when we see it.  And there is NO denying the TALENT you SEE in the Wonder Girls.  ;)

For reference here is a c-pop girl group much in the same style as kpop:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=hFGbHw5P6LU[/youtube]

OK, we've had k-pop and c-pop, we should probably have an example of the country that started it all, j-pop.  Warning, if you click, this song will be stuck in your head the rest of the day, and not in a good way...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDTg2inH2mY[/youtube]
Dang, they need to work on their wardrobe selection...they are dressed like old ladies.

jumpcut said:
Patrick Star said:
jumpcut said:
Fund%20Party%208-1-2010%20.jpg

Just thought this was interesting. We need to get Planet Reality over here to post on TI.  I'm really enjoying his fearless comments amid the sea of out-of-state permabears that is the current IHB.
http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/ihb-news-7-24-2010/

OMG --- amazing the transformation over there.  I laughed out loud at the Planet Reality comment.

Yeah, it looks like Larry needs some cash STAT!!  The desperation is palpable: I'll buy you a drink if you give me your contact info so I can sit down with you for a half-hour and give you my undivided hard-sell attention to invest in my dilapidated 1976-built condos.
Ummm yeah, guess that idea of shutting down the forums wasn't the smartest move.  You couldn't be anymore right, if he actually had people banging on his door to help start out a fund there wouldn't be a need to give out free drinks and free food.  Hell, I haven't had to advertise about doing that and I have 3-4 people ready to work with me picking up foreclosures at the trustee sale auctions.  Guess there is a right way of doing business and a wrong way of doing business (hint...the right way involves not being greedy).

Yes I am tired of making 1% on CDs, that is why I invest balances under $50k in SmartyPig and other money in certain stocks that give me a steady return.

I know what IHB should do. He should create an investment fund and issue bonds to potential investors that pay a set rate depending on the risk involved - say a rate of 5%, 6% and 8% for the lowest tranche. I bet he could get the 5% a AAA rating if he glad hands the right rating agency. Then with that money, he could perform his trustee flips and keep the residual (equity portion) for himself. $$$$$$ Oh wait........

Wow... Tustin Ranch is still the leader... must be the schools.

No votes for Foothill Ranch huh? Wonder why.

I forgot Ladera too... would anyone live there? Prices are dirt cheap for what you can get.

IrvinePilot said:
jumpcut said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Dang, they need to work on their wardrobe selection...they are dressed like old ladies.

Yeah, the Japanese used to be the kings of the Asian pop world, but they lost their momentum when the Koreans figured out that "sexy/cute" beats "cute" every time.

The thing that really creeps me out about some Japanese women are the 25+ yr olds who dress like, act like, accessorize like, and talk like, little girls.  Hello Kitty is not sexy.

Its sexy to Japanese people I guess - they are OBSESSED with young there.  Young young young young young.  The younger looking the better.  They have a LOT of loli-con stores in tokyo and its considered totally acceptable for people to get all excited and fannish about 15 year old girls.    In this country something like morning musume is creepy as hell (well its creepy when you find out that everyone at their concerts is male and adult - true story from a friend of mine).  And when kpop and cpop stars release albums in Japan (like BoA) they do different covers that make them look ultra young.  Although I've had Japanese people my age (20s) tell me they recognize that as pretty creepy, so maybe things will change.

jumpcut said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Yeah, the Japanese used to be the kings of the Asian pop world, but they lost their momentum when the Koreans figured out that "sexy/cute" beats "cute" every time.

Here's a K-pop group being "CUTE" and the same group being "SEXY" on their very next video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGbwL8kSpEk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_gfD3nvh-8&feature=channel[/youtube]

Back