What are some family friendly neighborhoods?

[quote author="reason" date=1249603434][quote author="CK" date=1249602956][quote author="reason" date=1249602139]CK?....is this CK that got frustrated and vowed to never post?....welcome back...</blockquote>

It's just temporary until I round off to another even number. Whoops, there's 760.</blockquote>

Cr@p, that was a short final post. I was hoping you type up a novel size response like Bk. =) Trust me, I wanted to quit this addiction and look at my postings it's over 1500 now. Haha!</blockquote>

Reason we need to send you to the career enhancement facility in the Northern Sphere and that should force you to end your addiction.

[quote author="reason" date=1249603434][quote author="CK" date=1249602956][quote author="reason" date=1249602139]CK?....is this CK that got frustrated and vowed to never post?....welcome back...</blockquote>

It's just temporary until I round off to another even number. Whoops, there's 760.</blockquote>

Cr@p, that was a short final post. I was hoping you type up a novel size response like Bk. =) Trust me, I wanted to quit this addiction and look at my postings it's over 1500 now. Haha!</blockquote>

I just screwed up again and posted over on BK's "where in the world is Carmen San Diego thread". Now I need to go to at least 765.

[quote author="CK" date=1249602956][quote author="reason" date=1249602139]CK?....is this CK that got frustrated and vowed to never post?....welcome back...</blockquote>

Nice to have you back. We mised you!

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249603810][quote author="reason" date=1249603434][quote author="CK" date=1249602956][quote author="reason" date=1249602139]CK?....is this CK that got frustrated and vowed to never post?....welcome back...</blockquote>

Reason we need to send you to the career enhancement facility in the Northern Sphere and that should force you to end your addiction.</blockquote>

I have tried that Bk. Didn't work either. =)

[quote author="CK" date=1249603986][quote author="reason" date=1249603434][quote author="CK" date=1249602956][quote author="reason" date=1249602139]CK?....is this CK that got frustrated and vowed to never post?....welcome back...</blockquote>

I just screwed up again and posted over on BK's "where in the world is Carmen San Diego thread". Now I need to go to at least 765.</blockquote>

I promise I will quit after this last drink?

I still like Woodbridge, but I do think the family environment really depends on the particular street/neighborhood you are in. I've seen a lot of posts here in the past commenting on the older population in Woodbridge and I do think this is correct for a lot of streets. We live in the south lake area right down from Springacre park and there are a lot of kids, sidewalk chalk painting, neighborhood parties, etc. And Springacre park has a real nice vibe - always people playing volleyball, walking their dogs, playing on the "pirate ship" play structure. And in general I think the pools and lakes/lagoons/tennis clubs are hard to beat. Woodbridge has a pretty wide range of housing from smaller, lower priced condos to attached condos that feel a lot like a ?regular? home, and larger detached homes that can get quite pricey.

Consider Northwood? Housing from the 80's with lots of parks nearby and good schools. No mello roos (MR). Kid concentration decent but maybe not as high as newer neighborhoods such as WB. Lots of SFR and some culdesacs. You may even consider Northwood Pointe if you want newer housing, but I am not sure how those gated neighborhoods are on street interaction. Their MR is not too bad.

In 2001 I moved from LA to Irvine. It was 42 miles from door to door. I expected that it wouldn't be any big change, it was still So Cal and I was excited to be living in OC for the first time and looking forward to all it had to offer, the beach, less smog, better traffic etc.

BK and I lived there together for a little over 5 years. We never met our neighbors and in all that time I never made a single friend. Neighbors moved in and out, there was no sense of permanence and absolutely zero sense of community. No kids were allowed to play in the street and if you did see kids they were being walked to a tot lot by their nannies.

I've lived a lot of places, the SF bay area, Seattle, Atlanta, Dallas, Paris France and Dusseldorf Germany to name a few. I've travelled to some pretty remote places on the planet and I've never had a harder time adjusting to anywhere than I did adjusting to Irvine. It was lonely, weirdly hostile, sterile, and totally confusing to me. I didn't know what I was doing wrong, or why people were so aloof. I noticed a sense of entitlement that I had no idea how to respond to and also found confusing.

The house directly across the street from ours was flipped 3 times in 4 years. We had a passive aggressive neighbor who put a note in our mailbox every time BK brought our trash cans in later than said neighbor deemed appropriate. Our HOA was a bunch of useless wanksters, and the landscaping was regularly butchered and killed by the landscapers. Everything looked the same. No one used their front doors and so no one ever interacted with one another.

In retrospect I dont think that this sense of isolation was unique for us. I think a lot of people in Irvine feel that way, and unless you are part of the "mommy club", Im willing to bet that BK and I are not alone in our experiences.

The day we moved into our current home, as the truck was pulling away, BK and I stood in the front yard exhausted and looking at the house. While we were out there, 4 of neighbors introduced themselves to us. Sidewalk chalk is common in the streets, and until it gets dark; you are likely to see half the kids in the neighborhood riding bikes and playing games across everyones from lawns. In my 5 years in Irvine, those are things I never saw anywhere, and seemed to exist only in the brochures.

I prefer knowing my neighbors, kids playing in the streets and a genuine sense of community over the meticulous masterplanning of Irvine any day.

O'Malley,

Same experience here. I've been in Irvine for nearly 5 years and still don't know who my neighbors are. I like peace and quiet but sometimes it's alittle eerie around here. Especially, on holidays. For example, on the 4th of July no one is outside. Not even a sparkler is lit. (yes, I know there's probably a city ordinance against it). During Christmas or Thanksgiving, not a sound. I don't even see family gatherings. And on the weekends, I often look out my windows and say to my wife, "Does anyone live in this neighborhood?"

By the way, you know what our welcome to the neighborhood was like? It was around 7 PM on a Friday evening, we were exhausted moving our stuffs in. And one of the neighbors opened his 2nd floor window and yelled, "Can you keep it down. We need to get some sleep here!!" But then guess what? The very next evening he and his wife was banging away putting in the wood flooring!!

And let me share with you their genius pianist kid. For the 3 years we lived here. All we heard from that kid playing on the piano was the classic: "Oh McDonald had a farm."!!!! And did we complain? Of course, not.

[quote author="reason" date=1249652854]By the way, you know what our welcome to the neighborhood was like? It was around 7 PM on a Friday evening, we were exhausted moving our stuffs in. And one of the neighbors opened his 2nd floor window and yelled, "Can you keep it down. We need to get some sleep here!!" But then guess what? The very next evening he and his wife was banging away putting in the wood flooring!!

And let me share with you their genius pianist kid. For the 3 years we lived here. All we heard from that kid playing on the piano was the classic: "Oh McDonald had a farm."!!!! And did we complain? Of course, not.</blockquote>

Wow I think you lived in the same neighborhood as us!

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1249653278][quote author="reason" date=1249652854]By the way, you know what our welcome to the neighborhood was like? It was around 7 PM on a Friday evening, we were exhausted moving our stuffs in. And one of the neighbors opened his 2nd floor window and yelled, "Can you keep it down. We need to get some sleep here!!" But then guess what? The very next evening he and his wife was banging away putting in the wood flooring!!

And let me share with you their genius pianist kid. For the 3 years we lived here. All we heard from that kid playing on the piano was the classic: "Oh McDonald had a farm."!!!! And did we complain? Of course, not.</blockquote>

Wow I think you lived in the same neighborhood as us!</blockquote>

You mean, we lived in the same city? Haha!

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1249600876]Finding and creating a social network is not easy. This is where I my opinions depart from BKs? You can find genuine community almost wherever you live in Irvine. Yes, some Villages might be easier than other but to foster what you have mentioned:

*lots of kids

* kids actually play together

* neighbors actually greet each other and become friends

* not too uptight or snooty

* good schools, but not cutthroat

* HOAs that aren?t TOO hypervigilant

YOU have to initiate that contact! You can?t just move into the ?perfect? community and have these things come to you.

There are families at every stage in every Irvine neighborhood! We couldn?t believe there were moms taking their infants strolling in the parking structure at Watermarke, but there it was! You just have to find them and, again initiate contact. Get out of your house; take walks, go to tot-lots, neighborhood activities, sit by the pool, got knock on your neighbor?s doors! Yes, houses have doorbells, use it!

It?s not that difficult. Moms & dads will naturally gravitate together. Instead of expecting friendly neighbors, BE the friendly neighbor! Start greeting people, saying hi, small talk, bring food, snacks and offer resources.

If church is your thing, there are many, many great resources there. Find a family friendly Irvine church and get plugged in there. I?m sure you can easily find one or two families that live in your village.

Family chemistry, like most relationships are hard to describe and determine. We would think we would have better relationships with people we think we should get along with, but don?t; vice-versa, we get along perfectly with families we never though possible. Just be open to everyone!

?Dropping anchors? is very important. It doesn?t have to be BK?s long term relationships; it can be for a season. And it is always worth investing in.</blockquote>

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1249650585]In 2001 I moved from LA to Irvine. It was 42 miles from door to door. I expected that it wouldn't be any big change, it was still So Cal and I was excited to be living in OC for the first time and looking forward to all it had to offer, the beach, less smog, better traffic etc.

BK and I lived there together for a little over 5 years. We never met our neighbors and in all that time I never made a single friend. Neighbors moved in and out, there was no sense of permanence and absolutely zero sense of community. No kids were allowed to play in the street and if you did see kids they were being walked to a tot lot by their nannies.

I've lived a lot of places, the SF bay area, Seattle, Atlanta, Dallas, Paris France and Dusseldorf Germany to name a few. I've travelled to some pretty remote places on the planet and I've never had a harder time adjusting to anywhere than I did adjusting to Irvine. It was lonely, weirdly hostile, sterile, and totally confusing to me. I didn't know what I was doing wrong, or why people were so aloof. I noticed a sense of entitlement that I also had no idea how to respond to and also found confusing.

The house directly across the street from ours was flipped 3 times in 4 years. We had a passive aggressive neighbor who put a note in our mailbox every time BK brought our trash cans in later than said neighbor deemed appropriate. Our HOA was a bunch of useless wanksters, and the landscaping was regularly butchered and killed by the landscapers. Everything looked the same. No one used their front doors and so no one ever interacted with one another.

In retrospect I dont think that this sense of isolation was unique for us. I think a lot of people in Irvine feel that way, and unless you are part of the "mommy club", Im willing to bet that BK and I are not alone in our experiences.

The day we moved into our current home, as the truck was pulling away, BK and I stood in the front yard exhausted and looking at the house. While we were out there, 4 of neighbors introduced themselves to us. Sidewalk chalk is common in the streets, and until it gets dark; you are likely to see half the kids in the neighborhood riding bikes and playing games across everyones from lawns. In my 5 years in Irvine, those are things I never saw anywhere, and seemed to exist only in the brochures.

I prefer knowing my neighbors, kids playing in the streets and a genuine sense of community over the meticulous masterplanning of Irvine any day.</blockquote>

I think this shows the clear difference between Irvine, some of the other communities in OC, many in CA, and the rest of the US. For Irvine, and for the most part the majority of OC, <strong>YOU</strong> have to make the effort to get to know your neighbors and your community. Where I grew up in OC, it was just the thing to know your neighbors, in fact I went to the wedding of the guy that grew up across the street from me a few months back. They don't live in the hood anymore, but my mom keeps in touch with them, even if they live 2000 miles away. Do you think you will ever have that in Irvine?

When I lived in the Bay Area, the one thing I could say that is different from there to here is: In the Bay good people find you, in OC you have to find good people. I met so many awesome people in the Bay Area by random chance that it was foreign to an OC native. Then I move back here, and I did meet some new and cool people, it just wasn't the same. I have met more intelligent people on IHB in the last 2+ years, and become friends with them, than I have since I moved back to OC 10 years ago. There is a desperate need to find like minded people here, but no one wants to really admit it, because those who don't care about being like minded are the majority.

I will also say this for the comparison of neighborhoods, I have been to several open houses/new homes in Irvine, and I have been very vocal about the flaws of the homes such that the other people touring the homes can hear me. Do they ever ask questions about the flaws I point out? Nope. I have even made a roundcorners like effort to make conversation, but they are more concerned with seeing the granite in the master bath than see the huge crack in the drywall that was installed last week. Then I go to Floral Park... I have people come up to me to chat about the homes, and what the flaws are. Then they talk about how this house or that house was awesome growing up there as a kid. When I was at the <a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/2019-N-Victoria-Dr-92706/home/3049872">Victoria house</a> with the cracked upstairs bathroom tile, a lady listened to what I had to say and was concerned about the can of worms I thought it might be. So... when we were at the <a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/2225-N-Victoria-Dr-92706/home/4472657">sh*tty 70s built Tara home on Victoria</a>, she was there and asked me what I thought the costs of repair would be to the previous house. I gave her my honest opinion, which the cost was backed up by BK, but I don't think she realized the amount of money needed to get that place up to par. Anyway, I have had more random and interesting conversations with strangers in Floral Park than I have ever had in Irvine, and I have been to more open houses/new home models than I have been to homes in FP. And for the record, none these inquisitive people from FP have been overbearing or all up in my business. They associate well, say their piece, ask questions, and move on. Ask Cayci, people in FP are way more pleasant and conversational than Irvine.

And FWIW, the next time I am at a new community in Irvine, and there are Asian people touring the homes, like they were in 95 and 96 (no more FCBers then than now) when I first started to tour new homes... I'm going to go all roundcorners on their a$$. "Hey... do you read IHB? Come on... I know you do. Okay... well do they discuss Irvine in your local newspaper? Why Irvine? Are you paying cash? Do you have relatives that are coming here with cash to buy homes? Is feng shui important, and does that fiery stove under your bed make you reconsider? What about the being sh*t on when you enter the place, and is that why you will only enter through the garage?" I would have to be that obnoxious to start a convo in Irvine. When all I had to do was make eye contact in FP to find out all those details.

May we ask what community BK+Grace lived in so that others may avoid living there?

I do think that this is subjective and every individual will have their own take on how "friendly" a neighborhood is.

I grew up in the hood... only knew the neighbor to the left and to the right (barely the one on the right)... yet I know others who grew up in the same hood and they had block parties. Einsten... it's all Einstein.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1249681980]May we ask what community BK+Grace lived in so that others may avoid living there?

I do think that this is subjective and every individual will have their own take on how "friendly" a neighborhood is.

I grew up in the hood... only knew the neighbor to the left and to the right (barely the one on the right)... yet I know others who grew up in the same hood and they had block parties. Einsten... it's all Einstein.</blockquote>

You beat me to that question. And same question goes to reason as well. If we go back to the subject of this thread, list what you feel are NOT friendly neighborhoods as well.

FWIW, those two experiences described are certainly not reflective of my experiences in Irvine --- either in West Irvine/Ivywood, or even my previous three years spent in Westpark/San Carlo IAC community. Heck, even at San Carlo I was friendly with many of my neighbors. No, not lifelong friends, but I'm not in the market for those really anyway. I dunno, maybe its just me.

I think that social relationships in Irvine are based largely on common interests. People here are really BUSY. I don't know about most of you, but after 55+ hours a week for me and 45+ for my wife --- along with all the requirements of being a parent --- there isn't much left over. And I suspect my lifesyle is fairly common around here. We can debate all day the merits of having to work that much to keep up --- but that is not unique to just Irvine, even the beloved FP and N. Tustin would require that output. Those places are no cheaper than Irvine. Different, but not cheaper. If I moved to N. Tustin I'd need to work every bit as much as I do today.

So back to the common interests. If you've got kids, you make friends with parents in the kid activities. If you live on a street with lots of kids, you make friends with the other neighbors with kids the same age as yours. I don't know all my neighbors --- I know the ones who are hanging out in the street with their kids in the evening. Or at the pool on the weekend. There are a few DINKS that I have never met in 9 months here, as we don't have that common thread. Most of my OC friends are parents from my daugters preschool and Kindergarten. From her swimming. From her ice skating. They live from Foothill Ranch on down to Crystal Cove and everywhere in between --- even Columbus Grove (oh, the horror). You make friends with people you have stuff in common with. Just like your family, you can't pick your neighbors. Maybe you'll like them, maybe you won't. But I think its unfair to characterize Irvine as such an anti-social place. Relationships are out there, you just have to be out there, too.

[quote author="Chuck" date=1249607335]I still like Woodbridge, but I do think the family environment really depends on the particular street/neighborhood you are in. I've seen a lot of posts here in the past commenting on the older population in Woodbridge and I do think this is correct for a lot of streets. We live in the south lake area right down from Springacre park and there are a lot of kids, sidewalk chalk painting, neighborhood parties, etc. And Springacre park has a real nice vibe - always people playing volleyball, walking their dogs, playing on the "pirate ship" play structure. And in general I think the pools and lakes/lagoons/tennis clubs are hard to beat. Woodbridge has a pretty wide range of housing from smaller, lower priced condos to attached condos that feel a lot like a ?regular? home, and larger detached homes that can get quite pricey.</blockquote>

We lived in Woodbridge for 6 years with our 2 kids and I agree with Chuck. We lived in the Woodbridge Willows apts. - full of kids and there is a playground right behind them where there are always kids playing. We have friends that live by Springacre and there are lots of kids there too. There are lots of pools and parks and the great lagoons which are all well maintained. We just moved to Oak Creek and while we love our new place, I haven't seen a lot of kids and not much variety in the parks/pools. If we had been able to find a rental house/condo in Woodbridge in our time frame that we liked and was priced as well as this one in Oak Creek, we would have stayed there.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1249665799] I think this shows the clear difference between Irvine, some of the other communities in OC, many in CA, and the rest of the US. For Irvine, and for the most part the majority of OC, <strong>YOU</strong> have to make the effort to get to know your neighbors and your community. Where I grew up in OC, it was just the thing to know your neighbors, in fact I went to the wedding of the guy that grew up across the street from me a few months back. They don't live in the hood anymore, but my mom keeps in touch with them, even if they live 2000 miles away. Do you think you will ever have that in Irvine?</blockquote>

I think you know BK enough by now to know that he's kind, curious, asks lots of questions and is friendly and unassuming. I am fairly outgoing, usually pretty friendly but alone or together we were never able to connect with people in Irvine. Its not a slam, its a stateqement of fact. We did make the effort. Both of us also work in careers and both of us are as busy or busier than we were in Irvine yet there is something decidedly different about where we live now. And to be completely honest, its a relief. I tried for 5 years in Irvine, and like a good relationship, it takes work yes, but it just shouldn't be that hard.

I just wanted to thank you all for your input! My head is spinning from all the options and feedback, and I've been researching like mad. I'll write more later, but I wanted to let you know that I'm still reading with interest.

My daughter was already out of the stroller and started school. She did not have any friend in the neighborhood. We did not have an advantage of using a stroller as the breaking the ice bait nor enrolling her to classes to make some community friends.

For couples without children this place can be very lonely without the common thread of kids. Even with my daughter we were very lonely living in a city where the social friendliness is picture perfect on paper.

I'd just like to note that I would not live in Irvine without kids. I'd live in Manhattan Beach. Actually, I'd live in MB right now, even with kid (they have great schools). But I can't afford it. But for that matter, I can't really afford Irvine either. Doh!

Back