What are some family friendly neighborhoods?

ksb1_IHB

I've been reading about neighborhoods that look down on sidewalk chalk and it's making me nervous! What are some of the family friendly areas? By that, I mean:

*lots of kids

* kids actually play together

* neighbors actually greet each other and become friends

* not too uptight or snooty

* good schools, but not cutthroat

* HOAs that aren't TOO hypervigilant

That is my definition, in any case! Any ideas? does this exist in Irvine?

[quote author="ksb1" date=1249547954]I've been reading about neighborhoods that look down on sidewalk chalk and it's making me nervous! What are some of the family friendly areas? By that, I mean:

*lots of kids

That is my definition, in any case! Any ideas? does this exist in Irvine?</blockquote>

No.

We talked and argued this more than Roe Vs Wade. Look up old posts by using the "Search" button. I know Irvine too well and I would rather live among the illegals and dodge bullets. Ladera Ranch may have what you are looking for if the drive is not an issue.

I have already done that (in fact, I've spent hours searching but maybe I'm not looking in the right place).

Could you tell me what terms to search for, perhaps? Thanks!

[quote author="ksb1" date=1249547954]I've been reading about neighborhoods that look down on sidewalk chalk and it's making me nervous! What are some of the family friendly areas? By that, I mean:

*lots of kids

That is my definition, in any case! Any ideas? does this exist in Irvine?</blockquote>

...since BK made me come out of exile to answer his picture question, I'll have to keep posting until I can round off to 760. (that's an inside joke).

As far as your question, IMO you need a few elements for this environment:

1) Newer area (maybe built out post 1995) so there are a critical mass of school aged kids

2) less pretentious neighborhood where the normal folks live (no nanny's raising the kids --- so Turtle Ridge and Shady are out).

3) Housing stock consistent with fostering social interaction (i.e, SFR).

Honestly, this is kind of hard to find around here. The best area for the neighborhood block party type of atmosphere is probably Ladera Ranch and Aliso Viejo (probably RSM, too but I don't know much about that area). But they are all far and far from diverse...I know this is a priority for you. Irvine has some newer areas with tons of kids like Woodbury, but the housing is mostly condo/townhouse type....not much for SFR cul de sacs.

We were looking for the exactly the same thing as you in a neighborhood. Best we found that hit on all those elements was West Irvine and Tustin Ranch. Not all neighborhoods in West Irvine and Tustin Ranch are like this --- but I think you are more likely to find this environment around here than elsewhere in Irvine. I lucked into a great street, and we have all the things you mentioned going on. But we were lucky. I see some other blocks in our same tract which are kind of dead from a social standpoint. Anyway, just my 0.02.

*lots of kids

Dude, there is only one place you will find this. It is definitely NOT Newport Coast, but WEST IRVINE my friend.

I 3rd West Irvine. It has some of the vibe. Woodbridge has some of that flavor too but kid concentration is lower... One would think Oak Creek might be like this, but it's not for some reason. My understanding is that most people keep to themselves there.

The development where I rent, Harvard Square, is very family friendly. Neighbors chit chat in the culdesacs while the kids play outside. Brutha CK and I crave these type neighborhoods and closest to them around these parts is where I live, where he lives, and Tustin Ranch.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249548960]We talked and argued this more than Roe Vs Wade. Look up old posts by using the "Search" button. I know Irvine too well and I would rather live among the illegals and dodge bullets. Ladera Ranch may have what you are looking for if the drive is not an issue.</blockquote>

Agreed. My family used to live in downtown Santa Ana. Mexican kids are very friendly. They dressed like gangsters and most of them have pony tails but they are very friendly to hang around with. My family moved to Irvine last year and my kids don't like it. It's very boring. My family wanted to move back. House in Santa Ana is much cheaper as well and there is no Mellos Roos. So Irvine should be your last choice. :) Good luck!

[quote author="CK" date=1249553128][quote author="ksb1" date=1249547954]I've been reading about neighborhoods that look down on sidewalk chalk and it's making me nervous! What are some of the family friendly areas? By that, I mean:

*lots of kids

...since BK made me come out of exile to answer his picture question, I'll have to keep posting until I can round off to 760. (that's an inside joke).

As far as your question, IMO you need a few elements for this environment:

1) Newer area (maybe built out post 1995) so there are a critical mass of school aged kids

2) less pretentious neighborhood where the normal folks live (no nanny's raising the kids --- so Turtle Ridge and Shady are out).

3) Housing stock consistent with fostering social interaction (i.e, SFR).

Honestly, this is kind of hard to find around here. The best area for the neighborhood block party type of atmosphere is probably Ladera Ranch and Aliso Viejo (probably RSM, too but I don't know much about that area). But they are all far and far from diverse...I know this is a priority for you. Irvine has some newer areas with tons of kids like Woodbury, but the housing is mostly condo/townhouse type....not much for SFR cul de sacs.

We were looking for the exactly the same thing as you in a neighborhood. Best we found that hit on all those elements was West Irvine and Tustin Ranch. Not all neighborhoods in West Irvine and Tustin Ranch are like this --- but I think you are more likely to find this environment around here than elsewhere in Irvine. I lucked into a great street, and we have all the things you mentioned going on. But we were lucky. I see some other blocks in our same tract which are kind of dead from a social standpoint. Anyway, just my 0.02.</blockquote>
Welcome back from the dark side my friend. I know you've been itching to post, especially in my thread in the Off Topic where I described as looking like Perez Hilton. haha

I've been told that some areas of Woodbury are family friendly.

When we were looking to buy there a while back we would hang out at a few of the pocket parks and the kids would all run around in the playground.

Wespark I/II also has a good concentration of kids.

Despite BK's experience, there are quite a few family friendly neighborhoods in Irvine.

My observations is pretentious people gravitate toward villages with status symbol. The value villages like Oakcreek and west Irvine attracted much down to earth people. It is a lot easier to make friend with this group. Your best bet is to look around these two villages.

Homeowners rarely consider living in their home for more than 5 years. The mentality is why invest the time and emotion in friendship when I will move in a few years. It certainly break the children hearts to leave their friends so as parents they minimize emotional interaction and keep just a cordial distance to the neighbors. Testimony from IVY buyers the phrase "temporary" came up a lot and the intention even before buying is to eventually moving out in a few years.

The best neighborhoods are the one where grand children come home to for the HOLIDAYS where childhood friends grew up together, went to college and became parents around the same time and their kids even play together.

The social interaction issue is much more complicated created by the urban sprawl the last 1/2 century. Urbanites are attracted to living in the city because people are much more social and more accepting of new comers and strangers while the suburb this friendliness is not an accepted decorum.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249571635]My observations is pretentious people gravitate toward villages with status symbol. The value villages like Oakcreek and west Irvine attracted much down to earth people. It is a lot easier to make friend with this group. Your best bet is to look around these two villages.

Homeowners rarely consider living in their home for more than 5 years. The mentality is why invest the time and emotion in friendship when I will move in a few years. It certainly break the children hearts to leave their friends so as parents they minimize emotional interaction and keep just a cordial distance to the neighbors. Testimony from IVY buyers the phrase "temporary" came up a lot and the intention even before buying is to eventually moving out in a few years.

The best neighborhoods are the one where grand children come home to for the HOLIDAYS where childhood friends grew up together, went to college and became parents around the same time and their kids even play together.

The social interaction issue is much more complicated created by the urban sprawl the last 1/2 century. Urbanites are attracted to living in the city because people are much more social and more accepting of new comers and strangers while the suburb this friendliness is not an accepted decorum.</blockquote>

If you think you are going to move out within five years, you shouldn't own, you should rent. Of course, during the bubble, everybody thought they could trade up after a few years, taking the profit from their starter home's equity to use as a down on their dream house, but we all know now that's folly. I'll bet there's a lot of people who thought they could trade up who are now stuck in their too-small starter house/condo. I wonder if this will reduce the birth rate-couples who thought they would have traded up by now now can't afford to and therefore are delaying have more/any kids due to being stuck in a small place.

Finding and creating a social network is not easy. This is where I my opinions depart from BKs? You can find genuine community almost wherever you live in Irvine. Yes, some Villages might be easier than other but to foster what you have mentioned:

*lots of kids

* HOAs that aren?t TOO hypervigilant

YOU have to initiate that contact! You can?t just move into the ?perfect? community and have these things come to you.

There are families at every stage in every Irvine neighborhood! We couldn?t believe there were moms taking their infants strolling in the parking structure at Watermarke, but there it was! You just have to find them and, again initiate contact. Get out of your house; take walks, go to tot-lots, neighborhood activities, sit by the pool, got knock on your neighbor?s doors! Yes, houses have doorbells, use it!

It?s not that difficult. Moms & dads will naturally gravitate together. Instead of expecting friendly neighbors, BE the friendly neighbor! Start greeting people, saying hi, small talk, bring food, snacks and offer resources.

If church is your thing, there are many, many great resources there. Find a family friendly Irvine church and get plugged in there. I?m sure you can easily find one or two families that live in your village.

Family chemistry, like most relationships are hard to describe and determine. We would think we would have better relationships with people we think we should get along with, but don?t; vice-versa, we get along perfectly with families we never though possible. Just be open to everyone!

?Dropping anchors? is very important. It doesn?t have to be BK?s long term relationships; it can be for a season. And it is always worth investing in.

If you find RC or PANDA in your neighborhood consider yourself lucky. Their out going evangelism attitude are rare. Religion inspired them to have the friendliness attitude and set a positive testimony in their faith.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249571635]My observations is pretentious people gravitate toward villages with status symbol. The value villages like Oakcreek and west Irvine attracted much down to earth people. It is a lot easier to make friend with this group. Your best bet is to look around these two villages.

The best neighborhoods are the one where grand children come home to for the HOLIDAYS <strong>where childhood friends grew up together, went to college and became parents around the same time and their kids even play together</strong>.

The social interaction issue is much more complicated created by the urban sprawl the last 1/2 century. Urbanites are attracted to living in the city because people are much more social and more accepting of new comers and strangers while the suburb this friendliness is not an accepted decorum.</blockquote>

My ideal life. Shattered at the age of 11 when my parents moved from Downey to Santa Ana. My classmates were mostly Anglo-Saxon to all Hispanics. Talk about a culture shock. But thanks to the Bkshpr's influential neigbhors I was placed and insulated in GATE classes with all their caucasian kids. All the while, I didn't interact with any hispanic kids. With the exception of P.E. class. =)

[quote author="reason" date=1249602139]CK?....is this CK that got frustrated and vowed to never post?....welcome back...</blockquote>

It's just temporary until I round off to another even number. Whoops, there's 760.

[quote author="CK" date=1249602956][quote author="reason" date=1249602139]CK?....is this CK that got frustrated and vowed to never post?....welcome back...</blockquote>

It's just temporary until I round off to another even number. Whoops, there's 760.</blockquote>

Cr@p, that was a short final post. I was hoping you type up a novel size response like Bk. =) Trust me, I wanted to quit this addiction and look at my postings it's over 1500 now. Haha!

Back