Weight Loss, Fitness and Exercise

Mojo, sounds like we went through the same thing!! But we live and learn, it takes time to learn what works...

Have you ever used GU?? It's kind of a Gel with tons of Sugar...problem is, once you take one you have to keep taking them throughout the ride otherwise you have sugar highs and crashes...Bonk City here we come!!

I think I actually GAIN weight during Centuries and I'm starving for 2-3 Days afterwards...

Once I found what worked for me I lost about 30 Lbs...

[quote author="SoCal78"]Darsh - when you mention your post work out shake, do you have any preference for protein powders? I was actually going to make a thread with this question. Again, I know I'm obsessed with the 650 lb. Virgin, as mentioned on IHB - but his trainer recommends protein shakes even for meal replacements. I was reading that some are whey, soy, dairy, or egg based. What are some good ones out there? I've never bought one. That trainer takes a bunch of bananas, peels them, puts the nanas in a freezer bag and puts them in the freezer. Then he pulls one out and puts it in the blender with his protein powder. [/quote]

Really the best source of protein all depends on what your goals are and how you are structuring your diet. The best source of information on the subject you will find is Lyle McDonald. You can find articles he has written that will tell you far more about protein than you ever imagined possible at http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/nutrition/protein

[quote author="ocphysique"]
[quote author="SoCal78"]Darsh - when you mention your post work out shake, do you have any preference for protein powders? I was actually going to make a thread with this question. Again, I know I'm obsessed with the 650 lb. Virgin, as mentioned on IHB - but his trainer recommends protein shakes even for meal replacements. I was reading that some are whey, soy, dairy, or egg based. What are some good ones out there? I've never bought one. That trainer takes a bunch of bananas, peels them, puts the nanas in a freezer bag and puts them in the freezer. Then he pulls one out and puts it in the blender with his protein powder. [/quote]

During and post workout the best thing to have is a combination of whey protein and some type of simple sugar. I like Surge from Biotest. Good flavor and I recovered very quickly from tough workouts.

Casein protein digests much slower and should be used away from workout time.[/quote]

I tried Surge as well and loved it.. It just became too expensive which is why i tried Gatorade

[quote author="caycifish"]
[quote author="ocphysique"]Here is a new sheet I designed for our clients. 5 worst foods you can eat. http://www.innovative-results.com/pdf/5worstfoods.pdf
[/quote]

What is the reasoning behind avoiding diet soda? I don't drink as much as I used to, but I'm wondering if the packet of Splenda in my coffee has the same affect.[/quote]

I am a big believer that "the more man alters it, run!" Naturally occurring foods are always best. Have u tried honey in your coffee?

Here is a good article about artificial sweetners:
http://www.nutralegacy.com/blog/general-healthcare/top-10-dangers-of-artificial-sweeteners/

OCP, if you were a Cyclist on a 100 mile ride and found yourself Bonking - out of Fuel - what would you eat to enable you to complete the other 50 miles?

Keep in mind that sometimes at that Point the only choice is a Gas Station or fast food joint.

I'm not one to pump up products, but if you're looking for a serious workout that will build up your metabolism and muscle mass, try P90x. I've been a gym rat for over 20 years, and it's the best workout I've ever tried, bar none.

[quote author="ocphysique"]Winex: thanks for the great resource![/quote]

No problem at all. I'd highly recommend buying some of Lyle's books. Those the articles on the page I linked to (and others I haven't linked to) are kind of wonkish, they really are just teasers for his books.

[quote author="peteruk"]OCP, if you were a Cyclist on a 100 mile ride and found yourself Bonking - out of Fuel - what would you eat to enable you to complete the other 50 miles?

Keep in mind that sometimes at that Point the only choice is a Gas Station or fast food joint.[/quote]

Peter, have you tried the Hammer products? That perpetuem is no joke. You can make a concentrated mix (almost shake-like in texture) in a relatively small bottle. Goodbye to bonks.

If you are training, I recently started using Hammer gels. I used to use the other gels (like Gu), and even the Cliff gels - or the comparable "shot blocks". They were all ok. I never really liked their effect enough to use them regularly. But the Hammer gels were excellent. No sugar high/crash at all. LONG energy too. I picked up 3 at a local bike shop just to give them a try. I might go get a box now that I've run through them.

And even it sounds otherwise, I dont work for Hammer. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

[quote author="caycifish"]
What is the reasoning behind avoiding diet soda? I don't drink as much as I used to, but I'm wondering if the packet of Splenda in my coffee has the same affect.[/quote]

Diet sodas apparently have a chemical that inhibits weight loss.

^ The trainer at Reshape the Nation, says the body does not recognize artificial sweetners, so it bloats as it attacks and anchors weightoss. Cayci - check out their videos on youtube. They go into detail on these things a lot. This guy, Chris Powell, is really good.

Edit: They've talked about it many times but I dug up one of the videos where they discuss its use as a transitional tool. Starts around the 2:00 mark. Also, you mentioned coffee - they discuss the effects of caffeine.

[flash=350,287:2u2mngxd]http://www.youtube.com/v/2X9Au5W6uHw&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:2u2mngxd]

H.T.H.

[quote author="Mojo"]
[quote author="peteruk"]OCP, if you were a Cyclist on a 100 mile ride and found yourself Bonking - out of Fuel - what would you eat to enable you to complete the other 50 miles?

Keep in mind that sometimes at that Point the only choice is a Gas Station or fast food joint.[/quote]

Peter, have you tried the Hammer products? That perpetuem is no joke. You can make a concentrated mix (almost shake-like in texture) in a relatively small bottle. Goodbye to bonks.

If you are training, I recently started using Hammer gels. I used to use the other gels (like Gu), and even the Cliff gels - or the comparable "shot blocks". They were all ok. I never really liked their effect enough to use them regularly. But the Hammer gels were excellent. No sugar high/crash at all. LONG energy too. I picked up 3 at a local bike shop just to give them a try. I might go get a box now that I've run through them.

And even it sounds otherwise, I dont work for Hammer. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->[/quote]

Sorry mojo, I missed this Post!!

No, I don't think I've ever tried Hammer but I will when I start riding long distances again..I'm not even riding right now...

I've never truly bonked on a ride yet but I know I will one Day when I start doing self supported Centuries again...

Thanks for the tip. Where do you get it? Performance?

btw, I was in "The Path" Bike shop with a friend today, it's a very nice Store with friendly Staff...looks like they concentrate on MTB stuff.

[quote author="profette"]Never truly bonked? Peter, you shouldn't tell lies just before Christmas. What will Santa
think? Tsk, Tsk.[/quote]

<!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

Hey Prof.... :-X

[quote author="peteruk"]
[quote author="Mojo"]

And even it sounds otherwise, I dont work for Hammer. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->[/quote]

No, I don't think I've ever tried Hammer but I will when I start riding long distances again..I'm not even riding right now...

I've never truly bonked on a ride yet but I know I will one Day when I start doing self supported Centuries again...

btw, I was in "The Path" Bike shop with a friend today, it's a very nice Store with friendly Staff...looks like they concentrate on MTB stuff.

[/quote]

Yeah, I went in there for the first time this past weekend. It has lots of nice gear. The pricing was so-so, but there was a 20% off apparel sale... and I picked myself up some new shoes. What a coincidence.

[quote author="Mojo"]
[quote author="peteruk"]

[/quote]

Yeah, I went in there for the first time this past weekend. It has lots of nice gear. The pricing was so-so, but there was a 20% off apparel sale... and I picked myself up some new shoes. What a coincidence.[/quote]

That's a good deal, are they Specialized?

With it being a new year and all, did anyone make some resolutions (eek! that evil word!) to get in shape and/or lose weight?

I did and got really serious about it and started a week earlier and already lost 10 pounds. YAY!

Now let's see if I can keep it up and not have it just be a lot of water weight. <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: -->

Back