WARNING: PS: Coyote Attack - 3 year old little girl

Paris said:
iacrenter said:
Paris said:
I have to agree with Qwerty. We are invading into the space of wildlife and then we are shocked when they "God Forbid" attack a human as they are fighting to survive because we have eliminated their food sources. And we are "shocked" that they then have to adapt to the change in environment and make our cats and dogs (and possibly young children) their food source. Humans are so ignorant in thinking we own this planet so as we destroy its Ecosystems that it should not affect us. Or we can continue to destroy more of the natural Ecosystems in place and not expect that to come around and impact human lives in some way.

This is coming from someone who just bought a house in Orchard Hills. TIC just tore up large grassy areas and Avocado groves so you can live in your McMansion. The local wildlife in your area would have preferred if you didn't buy your home.

Also there is no "possibly young children" as a food source--they ALREADY attacked children four times in the last month.

Sure go out and kill the coyotes - that will not eliminate the problem. We need to learn to Co-exist with wildlife and the Ecosystems that surround us. Yes protect yourself, defend yourself if about to be attacked, be vigilant with young children and small pets especially from dawn to dusk from May through summer months when coyote activity is at it's highest peak.

To think we can deal with this problem by going out on a killing spree on wildlife is just simply barbaric and ignorant.

I don't advocate random mass killing of wildlife.  The goal would be targeted culling of the local coyote population where there have been documented cases of aggressive incidents or injuries involving people.

I agree people have a responsibility to learn about dangers in their environment and to take prudent measures to reduce those risks.

At the same time, ruling out select trapping/hunting of coyote is irresponsible. Would you rather wait until a child is killed, then take action?

What does me buying a house in orchard hills have anything to do with it? Yes I am aware that in order to build the community they had to destroy and disrupt existing Ecosystems but I accept that fact and prefer to adapt to the changes and consequences that come along with that. I do my part to minimize my carbon footprint on this planet and take responsibility for that. Some on this thread have mentioned mass killings of coyotes which I don't agree with. I know there have been child attacks and people have lost pets to coyotes (I lost my own cat to a coyote) but it's funny that poeple are so "shocked" by this. It is a natural consequence of these environmental disruptions, that is my only point.

I think people are shocked by the aggressiveness of these coyotes in this particular area of portola springs.  The area where they are attacking have been around since the late 2000s. Coyotes have always been around in this area and they have coexisted fine with humans. They may take a pets when they're left alone but no harm to humans to this extent. But entering a house? Waiting for someone to open their garage door?  That's not how they normally behave so yea, shocked.

bones said:
Paris said:
iacrenter said:
Paris said:
I have to agree with Qwerty. We are invading into the space of wildlife and then we are shocked when they "God Forbid" attack a human as they are fighting to survive because we have eliminated their food sources. And we are "shocked" that they then have to adapt to the change in environment and make our cats and dogs (and possibly young children) their food source. Humans are so ignorant in thinking we own this planet so as we destroy its Ecosystems that it should not affect us. Or we can continue to destroy more of the natural Ecosystems in place and not expect that to come around and impact human lives in some way.

This is coming from someone who just bought a house in Orchard Hills. TIC just tore up large grassy areas and Avocado groves so you can live in your McMansion. The local wildlife in your area would have preferred if you didn't buy your home.

Also there is no "possibly young children" as a food source--they ALREADY attacked children four times in the last month.

Sure go out and kill the coyotes - that will not eliminate the problem. We need to learn to Co-exist with wildlife and the Ecosystems that surround us. Yes protect yourself, defend yourself if about to be attacked, be vigilant with young children and small pets especially from dawn to dusk from May through summer months when coyote activity is at it's highest peak.

To think we can deal with this problem by going out on a killing spree on wildlife is just simply barbaric and ignorant.

I don't advocate random mass killing of wildlife.  The goal would be targeted culling of the local coyote population where there have been documented cases of aggressive incidents or injuries involving people.

I agree people have a responsibility to learn about dangers in their environment and to take prudent measures to reduce those risks.

At the same time, ruling out select trapping/hunting of coyote is irresponsible. Would you rather wait until a child is killed, then take action?

What does me buying a house in orchard hills have anything to do with it? Yes I am aware that in order to build the community they had to destroy and disrupt existing Ecosystems but I accept that fact and prefer to adapt to the changes and consequences that come along with that. I do my part to minimize my carbon footprint on this planet and take responsibility for that. Some on this thread have mentioned mass killings of coyotes which I don't agree with. I know there have been child attacks and people have lost pets to coyotes (I lost my own cat to a coyote) but it's funny that poeple are so "shocked" by this. It is a natural consequence of these environmental disruptions, that is my only point.

I think people are shocked by the aggressiveness of these coyotes in this particular area of portola springs.  The area where they are attacking have been around since the late 2000s. Coyotes have always been around in this area and they have coexisted fine with humans. They may take a pets when they're left alone but no harm to humans to this extent. But entering a house? Waiting for someone to open their garage door?  That's not how they normally behave so yea, shocked.

Well with global warming on the rise, human populations on the rise, environmental ecosystems disrupted more as a result - be prepared to be even more "shocked" in the years to come. It's just not coyotes, we've been hearing about more shark attacks recently very close to shore as well. All these incidents are not just freak accidents - this is wildlife adapting to the changes we are creating. Obviously the coyotes are more aggressive because they are desperate - it'snot because suddenly they got a memo that humans are more delicious food sources. They are taking greater risks because they forced to.

Apparently I missed the memo the coyotes sent telling us homes and garages are now fair hunting ground.  Like I said, they already killed 9. More trappings to come. If you don't like it, start a petition. :)

bones said:
Apparently I missed the memo the coyotes sent telling us homes and garages are now fair hunting ground. 

Their wild animals. You bought a house where their home used to be. Your house is a fair game. You don't need to be a Harvard grad to know that :)

qwerty said:
bones said:
Apparently I missed the memo the coyotes sent telling us homes and garages are now fair hunting ground. 

Their wild animals. You bought a house where their home used to be. Your house is a fair game. You don't need to be a Harvard grad to know that :)

Hasn't been until recently. Was that in my disclosures?  :)
I'm just trying to answer her question as why ppl are "shocked". Ask others- I'm sure ppl don't expect coyotes to be jumping out as soon as their garage door opens to take a bite out of their toddler.

qwerty said:
bones said:

There were coyotes snatching small animals back in 1996 in Park Paseo (my friend lived on Palmatum which is directly across the street from Santiago Hills School, full of children when it's in session who had her cat viciously attacked and there were others who lost small pets) when Northwood Pointe was being built and I saw a pack of coyotes inside the gate in Canyon Creek at the same time but they didn't attack children.

My sister lives in FR backing up to Whiting Ranch. She has seen mountain lions and deer thru her wrought iron fence but never had a coyote come and attack anything (she's been there since 1995) and she truly knows she bought a home where animals used to live.

I saw a coyote and cub come out of a hedge a couple weeks ago and lay down on the grass right outside the Standard Pacific design center on Barranca near Technology. The design consultant told me they were told to be very careful about walking to their parked cars due to coyotes in the area. This is NOT near the hills. It's around the corner from Costco and it's been developed for years. I imagine if a child were to think they could play with the cub, they would be attacked in a heart beat. And honestly, to many people coyotes look like dogs. My youngest daughter would definitely have thought playing with the dogs would have been a good idea when she was 3.

I am amazed at people (not saying you) who will defend any animal who attacks young innocent children on the one hand and supports ripping innocent babies from life before they have taken a breath like they mean nothing on the other hand.

If this is one coyote, it should be treated like the one mountain lion that attacks people. If it's a problem for all coyotes, don't leave your California room door open, EVER.

And just because this is PS, don't think it won't happen in other areas. Maybe coyotes will find the food is even more tasty in OH.

I suppose we are all encroaching on wildlife as this all used to be farm land or uninhabited before, but we as humans are at top of the totem pole and will address this coyote problem as necessary. It's not like they don't have land to roam. They just found an easier food source.

Hope we also don't have to deal with bobcats and bears like up in la

Wasn't part of the whole ad  campaign for PS about living in the foothills next to nature? I mean there are coyotes in the middle of irvine and other cities, shouldn't one presume the wildlife encounters would increase the closer you are to the edge of the city and backing up to open land?  I agree, as a homeowner I wouldn't expect a coyote right outside of the garage when I open the door, but perhaps I should have. You can't plan for every risk, but that's the chance you take when you buy in those areas

qwerty said:
Wasn't part of the whole ad  campaign for PS about living in the foothills next to nature? I mean there are coyotes in the middle of irvine and other cities, shouldn't one presume the wildlife encounters would increase the closer you are to the edge of the city and backing up to open land?  I agree, as a homeowner I wouldn't expect a coyote right outside of the garage when I open the door, but perhaps I should have. You can't plan for every risk, but that's the chance you take when you buy in those areas

Regardless of expectations, a child's life still trumps that of a coyote.  Sorry, that's how things work in this world. 

These are (edit- I was incorrect. Thanks Momopi for the update) not protected animals. You can still kill them if you are being attacked or if they appear aggressive. Time to check local laws on discharging firearms (long guns) within the city or your property boundaries. Waiting for someone else to take care of the problem isn't a solution. Having some defensive options ready is just smart planning.

Our former neighbors had an aggressive pitbull and would leap fences whenever the mail was delivered. The dog nipped at my daughter at one time as well. Because of this I kept a big hammer by our our garage door just in case the pooch crossed our property line. You never seem know where the right tool is when you need it the most.

Morekaos said coyotes are not protected and sgip says they are protected.  Can anybody link to some actual law on this matter?

Protected or not protected, if they come close to attacking my family, I don't care if it's cute panda bear, I have no problem having it shot

Paris said:
iacrenter said:
Paris said:

What part of minimizing carbon foot print includes shopping for high powered German cars?

What's funny about children being attacked by coyotes?

Maybe what is more shocking is your lack of empathy for fellow humans.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#472

?472. General Provisions.
Except as otherwise provided in Sections 478 and 485 and subsections (a) through (d) below, nongame birds and mammals may not be taken.

(a) The following nongame birds and mammals may be taken at any time of the year and in any number except as prohibited in Chapter 6: English sparrow, starling, coyote, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles and rodents (excluding tree and flying squirrels, and those listed as furbearers, endangered or threatened species).
(b) Fallow, sambar, sika, and axis deer may be taken only concurrently with the general deer season.
(c) Aoudad, mouflon, tahr, and feral goats may be taken all year.
(d) American crows (Corvus brachyrhynchos) may be taken only under the provisions of Section 485 and by landowners or tenants, or by persons authorized in writing by such landowners or tenants, when American crows are committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance. Persons authorized by landowners or tenants to take American crows shall keep such written authorization in their possession when taking, transporting or possessing American crows. American crows may be taken only on the lands where depredations are occurring or where they constitute a health hazard or nuisance. If required by Federal regulations, landowners or tenants shall obtain a Federal migratory bird depredation permit before taking any American crows or authorizing any other person to take them.

======================

Please note that while DFG defines Coyotes are non-game animal and may be hunted, you may only hunt in legally permitted areas.  It's highly unlikely that you'd be issued a depredation permit to use high-powered rifles on coyotes in Irvine.  Professional pest control companies that operate in urban areas favor air powered rifles, you can um...  ask Tim at Mac 1 air guns in Gardena about them.

Shooting wildlife illegally carries heavy fine in CA.  I was at Oak Tree last month when some idiot accidently shot a deer that wandered into the rifle range.  He has to go to court facing fines up to $30,000.

bones said:
qwerty said:

Regardless of expectations, a child's life still trumps that of a coyote.  Sorry, that's how things work in this world. 

no one is saying coyote > kids, we are saying killing coyotes isnt the answer. there is probably a higher chance of you and your kid being in car accident and being severely hurt, yet you still get in the car every day. we all do. you just take as many precautions as you can. now folks know to be careful when they open their garage.

qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:

no one is saying coyote > kids, we are saying killing coyotes isnt the answer. there is probably a higher chance of you and your kid being in car accident and being severely hurt, yet you still get in the car every day. we all do. you just take as many precautions as you can. now folks know to be careful when they open their garage.

So what is the answer?  They said relocating them doesn't work. What suggestions do you have?  I can tell you that making analogies to other things that aren't relevant is not the answer.

qwerty said:
Wasn't part of the whole ad  campaign for PS about living in the foothills next to nature?
I don't remember what Portola Springs' ad campaign was.

But I guess their current one should be:

"Live in Portola Springs... great schools and close to nature but beware of skinny wild dogs and muscular brown calves."

bones said:
qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:

So what is the answer?  They said relocating them doesn't work. What suggestions do you have?  I can tell you that making analogies to other things that aren't relevant is not the answer.

well i can tell your solution of just killing them isnt the answer. i already told you the solution, the homeowners need to take as many precautions as possible. they have killed 9, probably not even the one that attacked the kids. other coyotes from other areas will just move in.

what, now you are going to tell me you cant be a prisoner in your own neighborhood?

They're coyotes...if we can effectively eliminate buffalo, river smelt and darters we can eliminate them too. ;)

Back