Vinyl wood plank flooring at Sonoma

I had in my old house wood in the kitchen as well.  No problems there either- no scratches, etc.  I really didn't have a problem with maintaining them.  But I would think that I would have a problem if my wood floors were that really dark mahogany color.  I'd go crazy maintaining such dark floors.  In another house we rented in Irvine we had wood floors and after what seemed like 2 hours cleaning the wood floors, I would later see a layer of dust form when the sun shined on it.  It was a pain. 

abcd1234 said:
I had in my old house wood in the kitchen as well.  No problems there either- no scratches, etc.  I really didn't have a problem with maintaining them.  But I would think that I would have a problem if my wood floors were that really dark mahogany color.  I'd go crazy maintaining such dark floors.  In another house we rented in Irvine we had wood floors and after what seemed like 2 hours cleaning the wood floors, I would later see a layer of dust form when the sun shined on it.  It was a pain. 

My condo with the exception of the shower area (Bamboo / Tile) & Master Bedroom (Carpet) is dark oak (wine barrel Oak essentially).  The floor is beautiful but it does take some extra care as it scratches and dents easily.  That said, the condo is now 4-years old and with a little care each week its looks nice. 

I do not know about vinyl wood flooring but it does sound interesting. Take a look at the tile that look like wood. It looks very nice. You can use it in kitchen or bath no problem. Easy to clean also.

I was told by design center that it's not an option to install vinyl wood plank to the entire downstairs floor because it will not level up on cement floor. 

Has anyone done this before?

We almost decided to do our whole first floor with vinyl plank.  Thank goodness we did not.  Looking at  a house that did it, it was awful.  You can see ripples on the floor.  This is why Sonoma will not allow you to do vinyl plank throughout the whole first floor. 

This material is fine for a small area, but not so great for a big area and also not so great on concrete.

sonoma said:
We almost decided to do our whole first floor with vinyl plank.  Thank goodness we did not.  Looking at  a house that did it, it was awful.  You can see ripples on the floor.  This is why Sonoma will not allow you to do vinyl plank throughout the whole first floor. 

This material is fine for a small area, but not so great for a big area and also not so great on concrete.

I did the first floor with vinyl plank.  During the walk through, we noticed a couple of big ripples when looking from the front door.  When looked at from the rear of the house towards the front door, the ripples were not noticeable.  Regardless, I wasn't happy, so the design center offered to replace the entire floor with a more expensive laminate or pay the difference to put in the wood floor.  The offer was actually very good one.  However, since I liked then idea of waterproof floor that covers the entire first floor, I told them to redo the section and still held the option of replacing the floor if it did not work out.  They redid about a third of the floor.  The "big" ripples were gone and replaced with a couple of "small" ripples, which also can be seen only with certain lighting condition. 

The ripples will amplify their appearance in the long hallway and great room since it's such a long distance.  Where it's smaller area, you can't tell if there's any ripple.  When you walk on it, you may feel the floor flex a little, but can't see it.

Another thing is that when the furniture went in the great room, the ripples almost disappeared since furniture blocked sunlight shining on the ripples and causing the reflection.
So, all in all, I am fairly happy with the floor.  When I see water spilled on it, I don't have to stop what I was doing to wipe it off.  Having the entire floor in one material really gives the open feeling.  Only other practical choice I had was the tile/stone, but they are too hard on my feet since we take our shoes off in the house.

Irvine2Irvine said:
sonoma said:

I did the first floor with vinyl plank.  During the walk through, we noticed a couple of big ripples when looking from the front door.  When looked at from the rear of the house towards the front door, the ripples were not noticeable.  Regardless, I wasn't happy, so the design center offered to replace the entire floor with a more expensive laminate or pay the difference to put in the wood floor.  The offer was actually very good one.  However, since I liked then idea of waterproof floor that covers the entire first floor, I told them to redo the section and still held the option of replacing the floor if it did not work out.  They redid about a third of the floor.  The "big" ripples were gone and replaced with a couple of "small" ripples, which also can be seen only with certain lighting condition. 

The ripples will amplify their appearance in the long hallway and great room since it's such a long distance.  Where it's smaller area, you can't tell if there's any ripple.  When you walk on it, you may feel the floor flex a little, but can't see it.

Another thing is that when the furniture went in the great room, the ripples almost disappeared since furniture blocked sunlight shining on the ripples and causing the reflection.
So, all in all, I am fairly happy with the floor.  When I see water spilled on it, I don't have to stop what I was doing to wipe it off.  Having the entire floor in one material really gives the open feeling.  Only other practical choice I had was the tile/stone, but they are too hard on my feet since we take our shoes off in the house.

I am glad that Sonoma took good care of you.  I have experienced the same great customer service. 

In Casero, they had these tiles that looked like wood floor.

The way it was installed looked nice (I've see something like this at the Tapioca Express in Woodbridge) and it's very close to the wood look without the wood headaches.

sonoma said:
I am glad that Sonoma took good care of you.  I have experienced the same great customer service.

I was actually a little surprised that they were willing to swap out the entire floor with more expensive flooring for no charge.  The laminate they offered was 3/4 inch thick distressed wood design and actually very nice.  But, I wanted the one material including the kitchen so I stayed away from it.  I already had refrigerator leak at my old house kitchen.  I know that a leak of that magnitude will destroy the laminate and wood floor.

Coincidentally at my work, they are replacing hallway carpets with the same Konecto Vinyl wood plank.  It's a little different design and may be commercial grade (thicker aluminum oxide coating?), but they are laid down the same on concrete floor.
It has small ripples here and there, and you can easily see it against the sunlight but not so easily away from the sunlight.  My coworkers tell me that their distressed wood floor is just as wavy and they like how the vinyl plank floor looks.

I guess it really depends on what you are used to.  My old house had "perfect glass top like" laminate floor, so I was surprised to see non "flat" floor.  Then again, my coworker who has distressed wood floor tells me that anytime he sees a "perfectly flat" floor, he automatically thinks laminate, because wood cannot be perfect.

Irvine2Irvine said:
sonoma said:

When did you make complaints about any defects.  Of course for the floor that must have been during the new home walk through but did you make any complaints during the the pre-carpet walk thru?

Back