Vinyl wood plank flooring at Sonoma

Irvine2Irvine

To the people who moved in to Sonoma and kept the standard vinyl wood plank flooring in kitchen and bathrooms, how do you like them?

Do you wish you would have upgraded to something else because you don't like them?  Or do you like them and wish you got more of it?

nytransplant said:
Also, what did people due with the standard carpet in the bathrooms.  That seems very out of place for Califonia.

I think that basically "forces" people to upgrade.  I am thinking about extending the vinyl wood plank from the toilet are to the rest of the bathroom.  But, wanted to hear if people like the vinyl wood plank before expanding it out.

Irvine2Irvine said:
nytransplant said:
Also, what did people due with the standard carpet in the bathrooms.  That seems very out of place for Califonia.

I think that basically "forces" people to upgrade.  I am thinking about extending the vinyl wood plank from the toilet are to the rest of the bathroom.  But, wanted to hear if people like the vinyl wood plank before expanding it out.

Is that an reasonably priced option?

jumpcut said:
What is "vinyl wood plank?"  Wood colored vinyl?  Or real wood with a clear vinyl covering over it?

It is vinyl with wood pattern on the top layer.  The one Sonoma puts in Kitchen, toilet area, and laundry is 4mm thick, so it's much thicker than lenoleum vinyl.  From what I hear, it looks like wood (kind of like laminate), but it's waterproof.

They are charging about $6.30 per sq foot.

Irvine2Irvine said:
jumpcut said:
What is "vinyl wood plank?"  Wood colored vinyl?  Or real wood with a clear vinyl covering over it?

It is vinyl with wood pattern on the top layer.  The one Sonoma puts in Kitchen, toilet area, and laundry is 4mm thick, so it's much thicker than lenoleum vinyl.  From what I hear, it looks like wood (kind of like laminate), but it's waterproof.

Wow, what a rip off.  You can get tiles or wood flooring installed for than less.

I'm surprised that nice hardwood is not the standard.  :mad: Considering the prices TIC are charging it should be hardwood flooring throughout the house.

new2irvine said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
jumpcut said:

Is that $6.30 PSF installed?  Or is installation on top of that?  I got engineered wood from the builder for maybe a dollar more installed.

Wow, really!?  That seems like a great price.  The options we're looking at from the builder are all around $13-14psf and it's not even the best quality-- engineered, about 3-4mm thick.  I also compared with Belmont floors in Anaheim and the price for the same wood was about $10psf once you add in labor, delivery, etc.  I was surprised it was still so expensive.

irvinefan said:
new2irvine said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
jumpcut said:

Is that $6.30 PSF installed?  Or is installation on top of that?  I got engineered wood from the builder for maybe a dollar more installed.

Wow, really!?  That seems like a great price.  The options we're looking at from the builder are all around $13-14psf and it's not even the best quality-- engineered, about 3-4mm thick.  I also compared with Belmont floors in Anaheim and the price for the same wood was about $10psf once you add in labor, delivery, etc.  I was surprised it was still so expensive.
$10/sf is still too expensive.  You can get good quality wood flooring for about $3-$5/sf and installation should be around $3/sf.  Try Simple Floors over in Orange...they have great prices and the more you guys the more of a discount you get.

Don't forget tear-out pricing... people forget to budget for that.

And quarter rounds and transition pieces (some places charge additional).

While we are on this topic... has anyone done Bamboo flooring? I hear it scratches easily but some of the stuff they are doing looks really nice and I like the fact that it's a renewable product.

new2irvine said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
jumpcut said:

The $6.30 includes installation and credit for not taking the basic carpet.  I would love to get real wood or engineered wood flooring, but my 3 kids will probably destroy it in no time.  I keep hearing how wood and even engineering wood can get easily damaged, especially from water.

If you have experience with solid wood or engineered wood flooring while raising active children, can you share it with the rest of us?

Solid wood or engineered wood flooring is my preference, but worry about damage from kids toys and spilling liquid.

No problem with real wood for me.  Even in the kitchen. 

So the bathrooms come standard with carpet?  That is crazy- but I also think it's crazy to have vinyl flooring.  Wood should be standard at those prices.  Do the kitchen countertops come with that white small tile or is granite standard?  I am not interested in Woodbury so I haven't been following all the threads here on the area.

abcd1234 said:
No problem with real wood for me.  Even in the kitchen. 

So the bathrooms come standard with carpet?  That is crazy- but I also think it's crazy to have vinyl flooring.  Wood should be standard at those prices.  Do the kitchen countertops come with that white small tile or is granite standard?  I am not interested in Woodbury so I haven't been following all the threads here on the area.

The kitchen and laundry comes complete with the vinyl wood plank, so we are OK there.  The bathroom toilet area are vinyl wood plank and the rest carpet, which forces me to upgrade. 
As for the vinyl wood plank, it is not the cheap vinyl linoleum you may be thinking of.  It's 4mm thick and costs about $2.50-$3.00 per sq ft in material only.  It's advantage is waterproof, but of course does not look as good as real wood since the top is a picture of wood like laminate.

BTW, the kitchen countertop comes with granite standard.

THanks for the clarification.

I guess for me- when I think of the materials I put in the house, I think of resale.  When I see listings for things like ceramic floors (instead of travertine) or seeing that it is not real wood but a vinyl type product, I immediately think when it comes to put the house on the market, that potential buyers will balk at that.

abcd1234 said:
THanks for the clarification.

I guess for me- when I think of the materials I put in the house, I think of resale.  When I see listings for things like ceramic floors (instead of travertine) or seeing that it is not real wood but a vinyl type product, I immediately think when it comes to put the house on the market, that potential buyers will balk at that.

Completely agree.  Travertine and hardwood spells upscale and would add to the resale value. 

I like the idea of having all of 1st floor in one flooring type.  Any experience with hardwood/engineered wood flooring in downstairs bathroom (my 9yr old daughter would be taking shower there)?

abcd1234 said:
I had real wood in a powder room (no bath/shower) but I wouldn't do wood in a full bathroom.

this is what i've heard as well... the moisture and temperature variances are more likely to warp the wood.

i'm even hesitating to put wood in the kitchen, but with the amount of cooking i do, it shouldn't pose a threat. :)

new2irvine said:
Wood floors look really nice but are a pain in the butt to maintain.  You constantly worry about water and scratches.  We put down kitchen mats by the stove and sink areas as a preventive measure against water spilling.  We also put felt pads on all of our furniture "feet" to prevent scratching and we vacuum religiously to pick up any loose particles that may scratch the floor. 

This is the first time I've had wood in my house.  If I had to do it all over again - I may rethink, but we really love the look.  We seriously considered tile but I always associate that with cold floors and I've heard its hard on the knees??

Tile hurts my feet.  I have flat feet.

Back