Villages of Columbus - Columbus Square - Verandas

[quote author="JVNA" date=1244456410]Are they complete drug infested dumps?

Schools: Tustin School District (TUSD): Marjorie Veeh Elementary, A.G. Currie Middle, Tustin High</blockquote>Drug use is not the problem per se; we could debate the reasons and demographics from a lot of perspectives, but in general, poor, Hispanic, limited-English students from immigrant families do not perform well on state tests. Neither do children of families who live in apartments and frequently move.

[quote author="tkaratz" date=1244532708][quote author="JVNA" date=1244462972][quote author="SoCal78" date=1244458533][quote author="JVNA" date=1244456410]... how do these schools compare?</blockquote>

To check out how schools compare, visit <a href="http://www.greatschools.net/">greatschools.net.</a> You can look up everything from test scores to demographics, how experienced the teachers are, what the primary ESL group is, and a lot of other things.</blockquote>

Thanks SC. I believe that there's supposed to be a new high school and elementary school built there. It makes me wonder how good these schools will be when they're built (years in the future). They'll be brand new, like Beckman was, so they may be good schools?</blockquote>

I don't think the high school is going to be built there. The TUSD opted to renovate the existing high school instead, at least thats what i heard.</blockquote>

If that's the case, that's really sad for the current residents that thought they were going to get a new high school.

xoneinax, if what you're saying is a true description of the school, then it makes sense for the low test scores and low rating for Tustin High.

[quote author="JVNA" date=1244542605][quote author="tkaratz" date=1244532708]

I don't think the high school is going to be built there. The TUSD opted to renovate the existing high school instead, at least thats what i heard.</blockquote>

If that's the case, that's really sad for the current residents that thought they were going to get a new high school.

xoneinax, if what you're saying is a true description of the school, then it makes sense for the low test scores and low rating for Tustin High.</blockquote>

I'm not aware of plans for a new high school in that area. Do you have a link to the info?

Correct, there are renovations and upgrades being made to Tustin High and also Foothill High. Tustin High's stadium is being upgraded. They are also breaking ground on a new quad there. Plus they will begin construction on a new science center there this fall. Foothill High is also getting a new science center and swimming pool. This info is take from <a href="http://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/html/newscenter/intouch/08-09/0906.htm">"In Touch With TUSD" newsletter.</a> Come over to the <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewforum/13/">school section</a> to continue the discussion about the schools.

Phase 8 Move in December

Plan 3 2,394 sq-ft

Lot 67 3DR 1444 Charleston Lot Size 3,042 $626,990

Lot 69 3CR 1448 Charleston Lot Size 3,041 $626,990

Lot 79 3E 1407 Georgia Lot size 3,042 $624,990

Price has gone up $4k to $7K since Phase 6. Being on the Charleston side seems to have a $3k premium

[quote author="hehegrl" date=1244545956]Phase 8 Move in December

Plan 3 2,394 sq-ft

Lot 67 3DR 1444 Charleston Lot Size 3,042 $626,990

Lot 69 3CR 1448 Charleston Lot Size 3,041 $626,990

Lot 79 3E 1407 Georgia Lot size 3,042 $624,990

Price has gone up $4k to $7K since Phase 6. Being on the Charleston side seems to have a $3k premium</blockquote>
Perfect timing, just in time for 6%+ interest rates....wow, I better buy now before they raise prices again in Phase 9. haha

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1242712675][quote author="Newbee" date=1242712190]I have another friend that purchased a phase 6 and he agreed to give me the full 5,000 referral. Of course he'll want me to pay for the taxes from the 5,000, which works out better than bringing an agent. In regards to changing lots, if my friend wants to change to phase 8 (not released yet) will he have to wait until it is released or can they process this before?</blockquote>
It does? If I remember correctly, the buyer's agent will get 3% of the sales price as commission. So even after taxes and the broker split, you'll get more than $5,000. My point is not to leave any free money on the table from the builder.</blockquote>

How do you arrange to a portion of the 3% from the buyer's agent? Do you have them sign a contract or just a verbal contract? I'd like to keep this in mind if I purchase a new build. Thanks...

[quote author="JVNA" date=1244606370][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1242712675][quote author="Newbee" date=1242712190]I have another friend that purchased a phase 6 and he agreed to give me the full 5,000 referral. Of course he'll want me to pay for the taxes from the 5,000, which works out better than bringing an agent. In regards to changing lots, if my friend wants to change to phase 8 (not released yet) will he have to wait until it is released or can they process this before?</blockquote>
It does? If I remember correctly, the buyer's agent will get 3% of the sales price as commission. So even after taxes and the broker split, you'll get more than $5,000. My point is not to leave any free money on the table from the builder.</blockquote>

How do you arrange to a portion of the 3% from the buyer's agent? Do you have them sign a contract or just a verbal contract? I'd like to keep this in mind if I purchase a new build. Thanks...</blockquote>

Just ask us.

[quote author="JVNA" date=1244606370][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1242712675][quote author="Newbee" date=1242712190]I have another friend that purchased a phase 6 and he agreed to give me the full 5,000 referral. Of course he'll want me to pay for the taxes from the 5,000, which works out better than bringing an agent. In regards to changing lots, if my friend wants to change to phase 8 (not released yet) will he have to wait until it is released or can they process this before?</blockquote>

How do you arrange to a portion of the 3% from the buyer's agent? Do you have them sign a contract or just a verbal contract? I'd like to keep this in mind if I purchase a new build. Thanks...</blockquote>
Typically most builders will have buyer agent co-op commissions for bringing in a buyer (especially in a buyer's markets). These can range from 1-6% of the sales price depending on how desperate the builder is to get closings (I believe that Lennar does not pay these co-op commissions, but I could be wrong). Basically when you sign your contract (you let the sales people know that you were referred over by your agent before you get to the contract step) you bring your agent who gives the sales person their business card and that's about it. It is more of a referral fee than anything else. There is no other work that the buyer's agent has to do but show up to since the contract and hand a business card over. Unfortunately, the builder (seller) will not allow the agent to contribute any part of their commission to their buyer's escrow so any exchange of funds will need to take place outside of escrow. This is exchange of funds outside of escrow is against the rules and should never be done. ;)

Long story short, Id rather not buy now...but getting pressured by the wife to buy a detached single family there.

Im under the impression, thanks to IHB, that prices are on their way down in general. But what about this community?

Anyone care to give general forecasts about this area?

One option for me is to wait it out and buy later, but we have our eye set on one particular model. But I have to weigh the odds that someone in there, living at the model we want, will be wanting to sell in a year or so.

[quote author="sad.machine" date=1245994555]Long story short, Id rather not buy now...but getting pressured by the wife to buy a detached single family there.

Im under the impression, thanks to IHB, that prices are on their way down in general. But what about this community?

One option for me is to wait it out and buy later, but we have our eye set on one particular model. But I have to weigh the odds that someone in there, living at the model we want, will be wanting to sell in a year or so.</blockquote>
Why are you looking at Verandas over at Columbus Grove? What do you like about the area and floorplan?

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1245994890][quote author="sad.machine" date=1245994555]Long story short, Id rather not buy now...but getting pressured by the wife to buy a detached single family there.

One option for me is to wait it out and buy later, but we have our eye set on one particular model. But I have to weigh the odds that someone in there, living at the model we want, will be wanting to sell in a year or so.</blockquote>
Why are you looking at Verandas over at Columbus Grove? What do you like about the area and floorplan?</blockquote>

Yes Columbus Square like JVNA said. I made the change to the post.

IMO it seems like the new properties being built in Irvine and the surrounding areas are either really large and expensive (in the millions) or smaller and cheaper (condos/townhomes) with high association fees.

i want to avoid high association fees and condos and townhomes so i am looking for <strong>new single family detached homes</strong>.

verandas is in my price range. if anyone knows of alternative new homes in the area, or ones that are coming, that are in that price range let me know.

the alternative is to buy an older detached home in irvine, but currently those are out my price range. even if i wait for prices to come down, i cant guarantee how much they will come down, or even at all. and on top of that, wifey no likey the older homes in irvine like in northwood anyway.

[quote author="sad.machine" date=1246001564][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1245994890][quote author="sad.machine" date=1245994555]Long story short, Id rather not buy now...but getting pressured by the wife to buy a detached single family there.

Why are you looking at Verandas over at Columbus Grove? What do you like about the area and floorplan?</blockquote>

Yes Columbus Square like JVNA said. I made the change to the post.

IMO it seems like the new properties being built in Irvine and the surrounding areas are either really large and expensive (in the millions) or smaller and cheaper (condos/townhomes) with high association fees.

i want to avoid high association fees and condos and townhomes so i am looking for <strong>new single family detached homes</strong>.

verandas is in my price range. if anyone knows of alternative new homes in the area, or ones that are coming, that are in that price range let me know.

the alternative is to buy an older detached home in irvine, but currently those are out my price range. even if i wait for prices to come down, i cant guarantee how much they will come down, or even at all. and on top of that, wifey no likey the older homes in irvine like in northwood anyway.</blockquote>

Rest assured that mid to high end prices in Irvine will come down.

Any new home is going to have high HOA dues and Mello Roos. The HOA will be somewhat smaller for SFDs than condos, but all new homes will all have HOAs in Irvine.

New homes will be expensive at a higher bench mark pricing compared to existing resales. The pressure from your spouse wanting a new home will exert financial pressure on your family.

New home supply will be extremely limited to rally demand. Wait and don't buy until prices really come down to align with resale. New home sale transactions would give the existing owners of resale a reason to raise their selling price.

Consumers must exercise restraint and do not create momentum if you want to see home prices continue to fall.

So a nice 2200 sq ft Verandas Unit runs for $599k? (I saw one listing on Redfin... I assume this is it. <a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/1419-Georgia-St-92782/home/12257533">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/1419-Georgia-St-92782/home/12257533</a>

Any chance a similar unit of $599k will drop another 10-15% in the 12-16 months?

[quote author="PadreBrian" date=1246111440]You'll see see a 5-10% cut this December, but that's about it. Inflation will see to it prices don't slide more than that.</blockquote>

Do you think that general inflation will occur to any significant extent in a year?

Do you think that this will carry over to wages, such that people will be getting raises in order to pay for these $500k houses?

[quote author="PadreBrian" date=1246111440]You'll see see a 5-10% cut this December, but that's about it. Inflation will see to it prices don't slide more than that.</blockquote>

so you are predicting 5-10% on verandas specifically?

Back