Villages of Columbus - Columbus Square - Camden Place

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1256947793][quote author="rickhunter" date=1256942292]Besides towing your car(s), what else can the HOA really do to make your life a "living hell"?

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1256900856]

However, the CC&R also allows for 6 occupants for a 2 bedroom house and that would place

HOA can make residents miserable by sending warning notices but they really have no power to enforce the occupancy rule. However, HOA can make your life a living hell by other tactics.</blockquote></blockquote>

Its existence and fee.</blockquote>
hahaha

LOL

From the tone on this thread, it's the neighbors that are the problem, not the HOA.

The HOA fees were known before you buy (maybe not the increases), but you really dont know what kind of neighbors you have until you live there.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1256947793][quote author="rickhunter" date=1256942292]Besides towing your car(s), what else can the HOA really do to make your life a "living hell"?

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1256900856]

However, the CC&R also allows for 6 occupants for a 2 bedroom house and that would place

HOA can make residents miserable by sending warning notices but they really have no power to enforce the occupancy rule. However, HOA can make your life a living hell by other tactics.</blockquote></blockquote>

Its existence and fee.</blockquote>

Here are why HOA can make your life a living hell.

Make you paint your house with the original colors that you hate and be completed by certain time.

You can't plant your favorite plants in front of your house.

You can't never alter the appearance of your home.

You must finish your back yard in a year

You must have window covering in 6 months

You can't make noise after 10pm

You can't shut off your exterior light even though it is on your meter.

You can't shut off your sprinkler in front of your home even though it is on your meter.

You can't have certain pots by your door.

You can't repair the exterior yourself HOA has do it for you and your neighbors at the same time and send you a bill.

You pay them every months and they never attend to your need.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1256952380]Here are why HOA can make your life a living hell.

Make you paint your house with the original colors that you hate and be completed by certain time.

You can't shut off your sprinkler in front of your home even though it is on your meter.

You can't repair the exterior yourself HOA has do it for you and your neighbors at the same time and send you a bill.

You pay them every months and they never attend to your need.</blockquote>

Ahh, Bkshopr, you just listed many reason why HOAs are GREAT! Individualize the interior of your home. Enjoy your yellow and green walls and funky ethnic decor. I don't wanna see. Once again, that is why I bought a home in an HOA-controlled neighborhood.

[quote author="Perspective" date=1256805559]

Why not? Why couldn't an occupancy count limitation be enforced? There's no constitutional issue (e.g. no protected class affected).</blockquote>

Um, bullshit. Santa Ana has tried to do just that, and quit because somebody litigated.

<a href="http://articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/15/local/me-density15">http://articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/15/local/me-density15</a>

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1256956359][quote author="Perspective" date=1256805559]

Why not? Why couldn't an occupancy count limitation be enforced? There's no constitutional issue (e.g. no protected class affected).</blockquote>

Um, bullshit. Santa Ana has tried to do just that, and quit because somebody litigated.

<a href="http://articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/15/local/me-density15">http://articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/15/local/me-density15</a></blockquote>

"Um, bullshit"? That response connotes complete fallacy in my statement. The article you site simply suggests it's difficult, which I've already conceded. However, you chose an example of one of the poorest ethnically homogeneous cities in the country which introduces the constitutional issue into the argument. That makes it much more difficult to enforce.

Try again.

If you can't do it in Santa Ana, you can't do it anywhere. Occupancy laws are unenforceable.

<blockquote>Last fall, the 4th District Court of Appeals struck down the city's previous residential overcrowding ordinance, ruling it too restrictive. Under the city's interpretation of the state housing code, officials said only four people could live in an average one-bedroom apartment. But the court said 10 residents was the allowable limit.</blockquote>

There is your limit. Good luck!

<a href="http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-16/local/me-1544_1_santa-ana">http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-16/local/me-1544_1_santa-ana</a>

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1256961618]If you can't do it in Santa Ana, you can't do it anywhere. Occupancy laws are unenforceable.

<blockquote>Last fall, the 4th District Court of Appeals struck down the city's previous residential overcrowding ordinance, ruling it too restrictive. Under the city's interpretation of the state housing code, officials said only four people could live in an average one-bedroom apartment. But the court said 10 residents was the allowable limit.</blockquote>

There is your limit. Good luck!

<a href="http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-16/local/me-1544_1_santa-ana">http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-16/local/me-1544_1_santa-ana</a></blockquote>
Guess that means that the all those folks who are in over their heads can continue to rent out their living rooms and media nooks. haha

[quote author="Perspective" date=1256954079][quote author="bkshopr" date=1256952380]Here are why HOA can make your life a living hell.

Ahh, Bkshopr, you just listed many reason why HOAs are GREAT! Individualize the interior of your home. Enjoy your yellow and green walls and funky ethnic decor. I don't wanna see. Once again, that is why I bought a home in an HOA-controlled neighborhood.</blockquote>

If you need an HOA to control resident's behavior then the problem lies in your neighbors. Who are the neighbors that tend to break rules and destroy the fabric of a community?

I hate the HOA rules. I do not like to be rushed into a decision of finishing my project and having to live with the consequences later for not thinking through.

I believe in individuality and owners should have choices in personalization of their home for identity. A cookie cutter community that look monotonous needs to have some spirit other than a different door mat.

I think you may need to choose a neighborhood with residents that have good taste and their home improvements are admired by others. The second attribute is neighbors with good and considerate conducts.

I encourage people to buying resale because you can study and observe the behavior of the existing residents.

Buying new one can never predict what he will be getting. It is worse than a blind date because you can't end a bad adjacent neighbor relationship.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1256963433][quote author="Perspective" date=1256954079][quote author="bkshopr" date=1256952380]Here are why HOA can make your life a living hell.

Ahh, Bkshopr, you just listed many reason why HOAs are GREAT! Individualize the interior of your home. Enjoy your yellow and green walls and funky ethnic decor. I don't wanna see. Once again, that is why I bought a home in an HOA-controlled neighborhood.</blockquote>

If you need an HOA to control resident's behavior then the problem lies in your neighbors. Who are the neighbors that tend to break rules and destroy the fabric of a community?

I hate the HOA rules. I do not like to be rushed into a decision of finishing my project and having to live with the consequences later for not thinking through.

I believe in individuality and owners should have choices in personalization of their home for identity. A cookie cutter community that look monotonous needs to have some spirit other than a different door mat.

I think you may need to choose a neighborhood with residents that have good taste and their home improvements are admired by others. The second attribute is neighbors with good and considerate conducts.

I encourage people to buying resale because you can study and observe the behavior of the existing residents.

Buying new one can never predict what he will be getting. It is worse than a blind date because you can't end a bad adjacent neighbor relationship.</blockquote>

Ah spoken like a true realtor. "No no no, don't buy at that new Irvine Co. development, they don't offer broker co-op....er....i mean......they don't guarantee who your neighbors are, thats what i meant to say"

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1257301631][quote author="Perspective" date=1256805559]

Actually, there absolutely <strong>is</strong> a constitutional issue.

Once you start regulating occupancy (aside from fire code stuff), you are directly regulating family structure. I cannot recall the names of the cases specifically, as I have not had to read them since law school, but the regulation of occupancy, number of generations, married vs. unmarried adult cohabitants, etc. all are interrelated and those laws/ordinances get scrutinized in great detail; every case we read ended with these statutes getting axed.

I'll have to look into it more when I have time because its bugging me that I forgot the specific basis for the challenge.

Just so you know, protected classes are not the only categories of concern for constitutional challenges. Depending on the specific sub-type of challenge (equal protection, etc.) there are other, less-protected groups which cannot be ignored. Although these groups do not enjoy the same "strict scrutiny", they have their own criteria and many of these laws fail lesser, rational-basis type evaluations by the courts.</blockquote>

Ahh, Mojo "JD" - I get it. I was wondering if someone would comment about what they remember from con law.

We have a flipper in Camden Place. My neighbor's Plan 2 finally sold. The buyer introduced himself yesterday saying he'd bought it at the trustee sale.

[quote author="Perspective" date=1257329999]We have a flipper in Camden Place. My neighbor's Plan 2 finally sold. The buyer introduced himself yesterday saying he'd bought it at the trustee sale.</blockquote>
Oh, you mean 1403 Mercer Way? It was purchased at the auction on Monday for $316,500 (up from an opening bid of $301,823). Without running the comps...is that a good deal or not?

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1257331007][quote author="Perspective" date=1257329999]We have a flipper in Camden Place. My neighbor's Plan 2 finally sold. The buyer introduced himself yesterday saying he'd bought it at the trustee sale.</blockquote>
Oh, you mean 1403 Mercer Way? It was purchased at the auction on Monday for $316,500 (up from an opening bid of $301,823). Without running the comps...is that a good deal or not?</blockquote>

That looks like it might be a Meriwether condo. I think those started in the high $500s at the peak.

Can anyone confirm this - Lennar's "Everything Included" plan means all Camden Place townhomes have the same dark wood cabinets and granite counters (among other things); so does this mean that the units with the white laminate cabinets and white tile counters are the "affordable housing" units?

I don't think so. I bought a plan 3 in Camden phase 15 (I close 11/23) and was told I'd receive white cabinets in the 1st and 2nd floor bathrooms due to Lennar downgrading the spec level to save money. The kitchen cabinets and master bathroom cabinets would still match what's in the model. There were other changes as well, such as deletion of the jacuzzi jets in the tub, the removal of the granite piece on the window sill of the kitchen and the removal of the interior trim pieces from the bottom of the windows. This is specific to the plan 3; I'm not sure what changes were made to the plan 2 (plan 1 was sold out by the time I purchased)

[quote author="Zorak" date=1257682455]I don't think so. I bought a plan 3 in Camden phase 15 (I close 11/23) and was told I'd receive white cabinets in the 1st and 2nd floor bathrooms due to Lennar downgrading the spec level to save money. The kitchen cabinets and master bathroom cabinets would still match what's in the model. There were other changes as well, such as deletion of the jacuzzi jets in the tub, the removal of the granite piece on the window sill of the kitchen and the removal of the interior trim pieces from the bottom of the windows. This is specific to the plan 3; I'm not sure what changes were made to the plan 2 (plan 1 was sold out by the time I purchased)</blockquote>

I've seen units with no dark wood - the handrails in the stairwell and all the cabinets are white. My assumption has been that these are the affordable housing units.

[quote author="Perspective" date=1257688156][quote author="Zorak" date=1257682455]I don't think so. I bought a plan 3 in Camden phase 15 (I close 11/23) and was told I'd receive white cabinets in the 1st and 2nd floor bathrooms due to Lennar downgrading the spec level to save money. The kitchen cabinets and master bathroom cabinets would still match what's in the model. There were other changes as well, such as deletion of the jacuzzi jets in the tub, the removal of the granite piece on the window sill of the kitchen and the removal of the interior trim pieces from the bottom of the windows. This is specific to the plan 3; I'm not sure what changes were made to the plan 2 (plan 1 was sold out by the time I purchased)</blockquote>

I've seen units with no dark wood - the handrails in the stairwell and all the cabinets are white. My assumption has been that these are the affordable housing units.</blockquote>

Zorak is correct. Those are just the later units. The originals are the dark wood, where are the newer units they did a bunch of cost saving such as the white everywhere. Nothing to do with affordable housing.

Back