Villages of Columbus - Columbus Square - Camden Place

Wow, I'm glad I live in an area without an HOA. Of course, I'm also glad I live in an area with ample street parking (due to larger lots).

[quote author="Perspective" date=1255048587][quote author="Shooby" date=1255043010]Wow. That is going from one extreme to the other. Is there any way to fight this? Why do they need to take this to the permit/registration level? Can't they just do garage inspections or something that is easier on the residents?</blockquote>

How else can street parking be enforced? If people were honest, Columbus Square could simply require decals on residents' cars, and if a car with a decal is parked on the street ticket/tow it. One enforcement mechanism might be to have a hotline and encourage a "neighborhood watch" - then the annoyed neighbors can report residents' cars perpetually parked on the street. The first ticket would be a notice stating "We believe this car belongs to a resident. If it's reported parked on the street again, it will be a $100 fine."

I just think it's weird that Columbus Square is enforcing resident street parking (when it only appears to be a problem near Cambridge Lane, which is NO surprise), while Camden Place is doing nothing to keep residents out of the Guest Parking areas. Columbus Square's parking enforcement will only exacerbate Camden Place Guest Parking issues!</blockquote>

Isn't Camden Place in Columbus Square? I thought the whole area was VOC and it was then separated further into CG and CS? And CS encompasses that whole area adjacent to Edinger?

Honestly, this whole complex parking procedure is created to give the HOA something to do with the homeowners' money. It's also a way to generate income for the tow company. In may opinion, rather than going through this whole registration process, they should just give each household 2 permits expiring at the end of 2010. If the parking situation worsens by then, then they can cut it down to 1 permit per household. This whole process of registering, safelisting, etc. will be such a hassle for residents and guests.

By the way, I think anyone can park on the streets between 6am and 12am. But for the overnight parking (12am to 6am), guests must be safelisted and residents must have permits. If you have a party, safelisting guests will be such a pain in the ass.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1255561669]Honestly, this whole complex parking procedure is created to give the HOA something to do with the homeowners' money. It's also a way to generate income for the tow company. In may opinion, rather than going through this whole registration process, they should just give each household 2 permits expiring at the end of 2010. If the parking situation worsens by then, then they can cut it down to 1 permit per household. This whole process of registering, safelisting, etc. will be such a hassle for residents and guests.

By the way, I think anyone can park on the streets between 6am and 12am. But for the overnight parking (12am to 6am), guests must be safelisted and residents must have permits. If you have a party, safelisting guests will be such a pain in the ass.</blockquote>

It will be a pain. I'd prefer the Camden Place Guest Parking spots were enforced aggressively, while the street parking be left more "open." It is very annoying seeing "regular" residents' cars parked in Guest Parking spots on weekends when friends are over.

Looks like there are two Plan 3s for sale in the newer block, both asking $540k:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/1426-Montgomery-St-92782/home/21937682

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/15222-Taylor-Way-92782/home/17467039

The newer/second block of Camden Place was selling through the bubble-burst (late 2007 to date). Maybe these owners are looking to get out before the "cresting wave of foreclosures" hits the market?

I own/mortgage a Plan 3, and I am shocked at how resilient the pricing has been, and how it's been increasing lately.

Warning to any prospective Camden Place owners: The HOA dues were increased from $182 to $211 for the next 18 months because of the completion of Phase 14. Shouldn't dues decrease when there are more homeowners paying into the system? Weird...

[quote author="Perspective" date=1255594532]Warning to any prospective Camden Place owners: The HOA dues were increased from $182 to $211 for the next 18 months because of the completion of Phase 14. Shouldn't dues decrease when there are more homeowners paying into the system? Weird...</blockquote>
They were probably increased due to non-payers not to the completion of another phase. Crappy thing about HOA dues is that they will go up but no go down.

from what i read that was sent out via snail mail it was b/c of phase 14 + the completion of the former sales office build out + model homes for sale + probably some other BS i couldn't interpret.

anybody here use the community center? i've been wanting to check it out but the hours seem to only benefit stay at home moms. wouldn't it be more useful if the hours were flip flopped? how about putting a ping pong/pool table in there :)

[quote author="wolvie3421" date=1255677487]anybody here use the community center? i've been wanting to check it out but the hours seem to only benefit stay at home moms. wouldn't it be more useful if the hours were flip flopped? how about putting a ping pong/pool table in there :)</blockquote>

Not so much the community center, but we use the pool nearly every weekend in the summer.

The community center closes at like 6pm. After that you need to pay to hire security if you would like to use the facilities. Needless to say, I've never used them.

Anyone have any updates on the parking issue? If they enforce a safe-listing type parking system I will seriously consider moving out.

Does anyone know which taxi company (or particular taxi driver) can come to our home just by telling them our address? So far, I took a cab to John Wayne Airport three or four times. Every time, I have to give directions on every turn from around Edinger & Red Hill because their navigation system does not have Columbus Square addresses at all. It's so annoying.

[quote author="Perspective" date=1254989144]

The burdensome part, if the rules are enforced, is that if you have guests park on the street, you have to go online and register the guest?s vehicle?s details and receive and authorization number and display that number in the parked vehicle. This won?t be too much fun if you have a party.</blockquote>

Only if they are going to park overnight. I wouldn't like to have that kind of party going on in my neighborhood anyway.

[quote author="asianinvasian" date=1255935087][quote author="Perspective" date=1254989144]

The burdensome part, if the rules are enforced, is that if you have guests park on the street, you have to go online and register the guest?s vehicle?s details and receive and authorization number and display that number in the parked vehicle. This won?t be too much fun if you have a party.</blockquote>

Only if they are going to park overnight. I wouldn't like to have that kind of party going on in my neighborhood anyway.</blockquote>

How is 'overnight' defined? It could get really annoying if it ends up a Cinderella story where everyone has to move their cars at midnight. Even if it was one friend who <em>was</em> visiting overnight, it's a hassle and if they have a rental car, I'd want to know how far in advance I need to get this permit sorted out. Is the parking situation really this out of hand?

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1255996288]None of this will ever happen. (permits, safe list, etc). The only practical thing to do is a bi-yearly inspection to insure that the garage is not being used as a living space and can fit one or two (depending on how strict) cars inside the garage.

Even if someone was not using their garage for parking before the inspection, the whole cleaning-up-for-inspection process might encourage them to use it properly once the prep work is done.

My wife and I just did the final, residual cleaning and organizing of the garage after our recent move and now can fit both of our cars (one before). :)</blockquote>

Good job Mojo. Now if all neighbors would do this, the parking situation wouldn't exist in our neighborhood.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1255997794]Heh, its not much of a hassle for me in my section of the development anyway (lots of Severyns parking)- but I don't mind doing my part.</blockquote>

There may be lots of street parking in that area, but over near Cambridge Lane the streets are full of cars. If I bought one of those latest Verandas homes, I wouldn't want regular cars from Cambridge Lane parked in front of my house every day.

Why place the burden of enforcement on homeowners? Why can't one parking enforcement person survey the streets every couple hours and document the cars? Identify the regularly parked cars, notice them, and fine them if they continue to regularly park on the streets. The rent-a-cop pays for itself - the fewer regular cars parked, the fewer surveillance trips that are necessary daily.

I also like the garage search. It might feel invasive to many, but the garage is the least personal space in the home.

Back