Villages of Columbus - Columbus Square - Camden Place

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1256267949]The CC&Rs; are net set in stone. They were created before the resdidents started living there. I think the CURRENT RESIDENTS should vote and decide what is the best solution for them.

1) I would hate to visit a friend and risk having my car towed.

2) I would hate to be a resident and have my car towed for being parked in front of my house.

Point is... there is NO NEED for towing until parking become scarce. With the community not being built out anytime soon, I don't see that being an imminent problem.</blockquote>

no. the point is, people are knowingly violating the CCRs and its ruining the parking situation for the rest of us. i hate parking programs but there is no alternative. changing ccr is not that easy, plus with parking, im sure the city gets involved too.

[quote author="tkaratz" date=1256282522][quote author="hs_teacher" date=1256267949]The CC&Rs; are net set in stone. They were created before the resdidents started living there. I think the CURRENT RESIDENTS should vote and decide what is the best solution for them.

2) I would hate to be a resident and have my car towed for being parked in front of my house.

Point is... there is NO NEED for towing until parking become scarce. With the community not being built out anytime soon, I don't see that being an imminent problem.</blockquote>

no. the point is, people are knowingly violating the CCRs and its ruining the parking situation for the rest of us. i hate parking programs but there is no alternative. changing ccr is not that easy, plus with parking, im sure the city gets involved too.</blockquote>

The master HOA sent a survey a year ago asking residents about parking. One of the points made, was that if the HOA changed the CC&Rs; and requested "open" (resident) parking from the city, that there would be a substantial cost to the HOA. I don't know how true this is, but if it is, only residents requesting a change should pay for the additional cost. They bought here knowing what the rules were. If they want them changed, they should be the sole payers.

[quote author="Perspective" date=1256295880][quote author="tkaratz" date=1256282522][quote author="hs_teacher" date=1256267949]The CC&Rs; are net set in stone. They were created before the resdidents started living there. I think the CURRENT RESIDENTS should vote and decide what is the best solution for them.

no. the point is, people are knowingly violating the CCRs and its ruining the parking situation for the rest of us. i hate parking programs but there is no alternative. changing ccr is not that easy, plus with parking, im sure the city gets involved too.</blockquote>

The master HOA sent a survey a year ago asking residents about parking. One of the points made, was that if the HOA changed the CC&Rs; and requested "open" (resident) parking from the city, that there would be a substantial cost to the HOA. I don't know how true this is, but if it is, only residents requesting a change should pay for the additional cost. They bought here knowing what the rules were. If they want them changed, they should be the sole payers.</blockquote>

Agreed. That avenue certainly needs to be investigated. However, I suspect that the parking requirement is tied to the city requirements. Might need to get city approval (aka impossible).

What has the HOA's response to having routine garage inspections? Wouldn't that be one of the first steps to lowering resident street parking?

This thread is annoying me. What do the CC&Rs; say? You all that bought new homes here have a copy of them, the builder made sure you got a copy. Someone, anyone living here get off your lazy butt and check your CC&Rs; and post what it says. Until then... this thread is useless.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1256312301]This thread is annoying me. What do the CC&Rs; say? You all that bought new homes here have a copy of them, the builder made sure you got a copy. Someone, anyone living here get off your lazy butt and check your CC&Rs; and post what it says. Until then... this thread is useless.</blockquote>

In our place, we have 3 licensed drivers, hence 3 cars. Not being able to park our 3rd car on the street was a big issue for us and would remove Columbus Square from our list of acceptable homes. When we asked about it when we saw the CC&Rs; in writing, the agent told us that you can still park on the streets, it is not an issue. We were lied to by our builders sales people. I'll bet money that this happened to other people too.

The CC&Rs; should be reviewed and revised if necessary, they are not set in stone.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1256344453]I know one is DOES say: The garage is not a living space and is to be used for parking your fucking car. Why dont we all get behind this simple concept and uniformly support the routine garage inspection idea.

With parking, as with most car-related situations (like freeway traffic), even a modest decrease in percentage of clutter creates a HUGE and noticeable change. If everyone who was not using their garage for cars started putting even 1 of their cars in there, or from 1 to 2, the parking situation would almost certainly evaporate overnight.

The inspection can be made minimally intrusive. The resident could simply open the garage for 5 seconds while the inspector stands across the freaking street. You dont need a magnifying glass to check compliance (enough free space cleared for cars, no living quarters). DONE! THE END!

Everything else beyond inspections is going to make people angry, especially in this economy.</blockquote>

What about the people that do follow the rules and still can't park all their vehicles in the garage?

For example, imaging you live in one of the bigger, 4 bdrm, 2500+ sqft homes. In this house lives you, your wife, and your 2 children. You have a 2 car garage, no driveway. What if your child needs a car? What if you have a company car? What if you come back from a business trip and still have your rental?

[quote author="md6380" date=1256344362][quote author="graphrix" date=1256312301]This thread is annoying me. What do the CC&Rs; say? You all that bought new homes here have a copy of them, the builder made sure you got a copy. Someone, anyone living here get off your lazy butt and check your CC&Rs; and post what it says. Until then... this thread is useless.</blockquote>

In our place, we have 3 licensed drivers, hence 3 cars. Not being able to park our 3rd car on the street was a big issue for us and would remove Columbus Square from our list of acceptable homes. When we asked about it when we saw the CC&Rs; in writing, the agent told us that you can still park on the streets, it is not an issue. We were lied to by our builders sales people. I'll bet money that this happened to other people too.

The CC&Rs; should be reviewed and revised if necessary, they are not set in stone.</blockquote>

I know for my neighborhood the rules are you cannot park a car on the street UNLESS you have two cars parked in the garage. So park two in the garage, you should be allowed that 3rd car in the street. Maybe that is in your CC&R? or where do they expect you to park a 3rd car?

[quote author="md6380" date=1256344919][quote author="MojoJD" date=1256344453]I know one is DOES say: The garage is not a living space and is to be used for parking your fucking car. Why dont we all get behind this simple concept and uniformly support the routine garage inspection idea.

With parking, as with most car-related situations (like freeway traffic), even a modest decrease in percentage of clutter creates a HUGE and noticeable change. If everyone who was not using their garage for cars started putting even 1 of their cars in there, or from 1 to 2, the parking situation would almost certainly evaporate overnight.

The inspection can be made minimally intrusive. The resident could simply open the garage for 5 seconds while the inspector stands across the freaking street. You dont need a magnifying glass to check compliance (enough free space cleared for cars, no living quarters). DONE! THE END!

Everything else beyond inspections is going to make people angry, especially in this economy.</blockquote>

What about the people that do follow the rules and still can't park all their vehicles in the garage?

For example, imaging you live in one of the bigger, 4 bdrm, 2500+ sqft homes. In this house lives you, your wife, and your 2 children. You have a 2 car garage, no driveway. What if your child needs a car? What if you have a company car? What if you come back from a business trip and still have your rental?</blockquote>

This isn't targeting those families that are actually using their two car garages for vehicles. If you have 4 cars and are parking two in the garage, that's great, continue doing what you're doing.

This is only for those that either 1. have so much junk that their 2 car garage is used for storage, or 2. use their garage for entertaining, or heaven forbid, for someone to live in.

I think what Mojo is saying, is that a good percentage of neighbors do not park in their garages at all. Therefore, if we mandate garage inspections, this problem will slowly trickle away. If you have 10 houses parking 2 cars each outside everyday, that's potentially 20 cars off the street and guest spaces.

If anything, these releases some of the burden of those parking two cars in the garage but have 4 cars total.

Like Graphix is pleading, let's see what the CC&R's say.

[quote author="Shooby" date=1256345905][quote author="md6380" date=1256344919]

For example, imaging you live in one of the bigger, 4 bdrm, 2500+ sqft homes. In this house lives you, your wife, and your 2 children. You have a 2 car garage, no driveway. What if your child needs a car? What if you have a company car? What if you come back from a business trip and still have your rental?</blockquote>

This isn't targeting those families that are actually using their two car garages for vehicles. If you have 4 cars and are parking two in the garage, that's great, continue doing what you're doing.

This is only for those that either 1. have so much junk that their 2 car garage is used for storage, or 2. use their garage for entertaining, or heaven forbid, for someone to live in.

I think what Mojo is saying, is that a good percentage of neighbors do not park in their garages at all. Therefore, if we mandate garage inspections, this problem will slowly trickle away. If you have 10 houses parking 2 cars each outside everyday, that's potentially 20 cars off the street and guest spaces.

If anything, these releases some of the burden of those parking two cars in the garage but have 4 cars total.

Like Graphix is pleading, let's see what the CC&R's say.</blockquote>

The proposal effects the people that do use their garages properly for parking and those that have a valid need to park additional cars on the street. Here are some key points of the proposed rule changes. Note that these are not all of the proposed changes, just a few that I find unfair.

- Street parking by residents or GUESTS is only allowed after 12 midnight and before 6am with use of parking decal (that we have to pay for) or for guests using a SAFELISTing process.

- This means if you oversleep, forget to move your car in the garage, you will be towed.

- Street parking is for guests only that have been SAFELISTED, unless a parking decal is displayed. SAFELISTING is good for only 10 days per month.

- This is going to be a big pain if I decide to have a social gathering (birthday, baby shower, etc). If people are worried about noise issues w/ parties, this is what cops are for.

- Parking decals will be only give to residents who can validate and need to have one and are not guaranteed to receive one, even if the need is validated.

- This gives the HOA way too much control here. So we won't get a parking decal even if there is a valid need. This means they can deny approval upon whatever they feel like, even if not directly relating to parking issues.

- If approved, a maximum of only one decal will be issued to each resident address, regardless of the number of licensed drivers in the household.

- So do we need to plan our lives around our abilities to park cars in front of our own homes? What happens if one decide to have another child (which wouldn't be driving for years, but still). What if one decides to have a girlfriend move in? What if one decides to take in an old parent or relative (which you don't want to stick in a old folks home)?

- Parking decal application requires a non-refundable application fee and must be submitted each year with undisclosed fee amount.

- As you have noticed the association fees have continuously risen over the last 2 yrs. This will probably be the same with the parking fees. Also, the sticker system seems to be an additional income for the HOA. We already pay a lot, and they want more.

-

BTW, I have a scan of some of the key points of the Proposed Rule Changes if anybody hasn't seen them. Feel free to send me a PM with your email address and I'll email it to you.

[quote author="md6380" date=1256344919][quote author="MojoJD" date=1256344453]I know one is DOES say: The garage is not a living space and is to be used for parking your fucking car. Why dont we all get behind this simple concept and uniformly support the routine garage inspection idea.

So what if you have 25 cars, should we reserve the whole block just for you???? If you bought a house with a 2 car garage and have more than 2 cars that's your problem. In a lot of places you have to pay extra for additional parking spots.

I think this is starting to go on a tangent here. There are some, like myself, that do not agree with this system.

However, instead of discussing it on here which will not get us any results, let's all show up to next Wednesday's meeting at 5:30 pm and have our voices heard by people that actually have a say in this.

How many on the HOA board are residents and how many are from the property mgmt co? Do you have an email address in which to forward concerns? Just wondering if there's a mechanism for reporting concerns outside of having to attend the scheduled meetings.

[quote author="JVNA" date=1256355666]How many on the HOA board are residents and how many are from the property mgmt co? Do you have an email address in which to forward concerns? Just wondering if there's a mechanism for reporting concerns outside of having to attend the scheduled meetings.</blockquote>

Not sure how many are residents and how many are from the management co. I've never attended a meeting since I normally work during that time. I'm definately going to the next meeting, and am going to try to attend meetings going forward (need to work something out w/ my employer).

I have already sent in my concerns to the management company. If you would like to do the same, here is the info.

Jon Cernok, CCAM?

District Manager

Merit Property Management, Inc.

1 Polaris Way, Suite 100

Aliso Viejo, CA 92656

949-448-6080 (Phone)

949-448-6452 (Fax)

jcernok@meritpm.com

[quote author="md6380" date=1256344362][quote author="graphrix" date=1256312301]This thread is annoying me. What do the CC&Rs; say? You all that bought new homes here have a copy of them, the builder made sure you got a copy. Someone, anyone living here get off your lazy butt and check your CC&Rs; and post what it says. Until then... this thread is useless.</blockquote>

The CC&Rs; should be reviewed and revised if necessary, they are not set in stone.</blockquote>
The CC&Rs; may not set in stone, but almost. I served on a HOA board several years ago for an association in Huntington Beach. There was an issue where a number of owners wanted a change in the CC&Rs;. In looking into what would be required, we found that we would have to get a supermajority of owners to approve (I think it was 75%, but I might be wrong). That's hard enough. But the real killer was that we would have to get approval of the same supermajority of LENDERS. In today's market, how would you even approach that problem? Who would you contact? The loan servicer would not likely have authority to approve this kind of change.

Edit: This is weird. I type C C & R s and somewhere the software is adding the semicolon. Can't edit it out.

The CC&Rs; should be difficult to change. Some of us actually read them and bought with the expectation they'd be enforced.

Full disclosure: I violate one of 'em a few times per year when I wash my car on my driveway. I can get my car completely out of the street, and it's only there for 10 minutes or so (I dry it in the garage); but this is a violation.

MD, than you should consider your self the luckiest homeowner on the block because you have grounds for a lawsuit against the builder. Of course, your lawsuit is going to get thrown out the window when Lennar produces the three docs you signed acknowledged receipt of that clearly state that you cannot park on the street. But, don't let common sense stop you, by all means, blame other people.

Back