Villages of Columbus - Columbus Square - Camden Place

Has anyone living in VoC, or Columbus Square specifically, found out anything about when the big park is going to be finished? I'm speaking about the large, fenced off ballpark at the end of Montgomery St. Its the one that starts at the corner of Severyns and Valencia. Seems to me all they would have to do is re-seed and turn the sprinklers back on. Although, I'm sure they have more extensive plans.

I want to know about the park, too. They already have a lot of nice, big trees.

I also want Valencia to go through to the District so that we can ride the cheap bike there, have huge dinner & drinks, and ride home and still not worried about getting DUI. Well, at least we are not driving, just riding....

How about Tustin Ranch Road? When are they going to make the bridge over Edinger?

<blockquote>How about Tustin Ranch Road? When are they going to make the bridge over Edinger?</blockquote>

When housing prices return to 2004 levels...

I hear that section of Valencia might be another 12-16 months.

Still no word about the park? I wonder who I would have to inquire with. Is there a sub-planning committee for the area? Or would the inquiry just go to City of Tustin?

I think all residents of C. Square should ask for their mello roos reduced since there is absolutely NO construction being performed.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1243560188]I hear that section of Valencia might be another 12-16 months.

Still no word about the park? I wonder who I would have to inquire with. Is there a sub-planning committee for the area? Or would the inquiry just go to City of Tustin?</blockquote>

City of Tustin. But I can already tell you that they have no idea.

RSI does the cabinets, they actually have a line at Lowe's I believe it is in white but not in the Maple that our kitchens are done in with the Cognac finish. You can contact RSI to find a contracter/reseller that would sell you a new vanity or doors or whatever. I had really hoped to do that with our 2nd floor powder room (Plan 2) but baby takes priority to upgrades that aren't absolutely necessary in a new home.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1238633545]<blockquote>Really? The model homes shows a dining table in the great room, that seem to work... having a dining table in between the "living room" and the kitchen.</blockquote>

So now you have 2 dining tables? one on the dining nook and one in the great room? I guess.... I just dont feel like thats a good use of space.

<blockquote>Ya I didnt like not having a bath in the Master but I'm guess people dont take "baths" much anymore</blockquote>

Tell that to my easily-chilled wife.

Dont get me wrong, I like the plan somewhat. If they expanded the 3rd floor to make the master suite bigger, with a bigger closet (another flaw- small as it is), bath, and a little more space between the 2 rooms, it would be fantastic.

On a side note: Has anyone had to replace the cabinetry or do any repair work on the cherry wood bathroom cabinets? The newer models only have that nice dark wood in the kitchen and master bath, but a whitepanel wood in the lower floor bathroom cabinets. Its not even an option (which I would gladly pay). I'm just worried about matching the wood and exact style to what is already in the kitchen if I were to go do it myself from Lowes. Can we contact the builder post-sale to use the same materials and doors?</blockquote>

During winter the future park there looked really good, I think they mowed it down and thatched it or something and with the rain it was really green. I have also looked into when it might open and have found no information.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1242868287]Has anyone living in VoC, or Columbus Square specifically, found out anything about when the big park is going to be finished? I'm speaking about the large, fenced off ballpark at the end of Montgomery St. Its the one that starts at the corner of Severyns and Valencia. Seems to me all they would have to do is re-seed and turn the sprinklers back on. Although, I'm sure they have more extensive plans.</blockquote>

Haha I wish!

[quote author="Shooby" date=1243563808]I think all residents of C. Square should ask for their mello roos reduced since there is absolutely NO construction being performed.</blockquote>

It is funny because the Plan 2 really works for a lot of people, otherwise why would they build so many of them and why would so many people buy them. It's like when you go clothes shopping or furniture shopping and gasp at how ugly things are and comment who would buy that? The reality is everyone has different needs and preferences that is why the Plan 2 works for us. We are having a new baby. It would suck to have the Plan 3 or Plan 1 for us because each bedroom in those plans are on different levels. It would be a pain for us to have to walk up and down the stairs to get to those rooms and would be a safety issue.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1238633545]<blockquote>Really? The model homes shows a dining table in the great room, that seem to work... having a dining table in between the "living room" and the kitchen.</blockquote>

So now you have 2 dining tables? one on the dining nook and one in the great room? I guess.... I just dont feel like thats a good use of space.

<blockquote>Ya I didnt like not having a bath in the Master but I'm guess people dont take "baths" much anymore</blockquote>

Tell that to my easily-chilled wife.

Dont get me wrong, I like the plan somewhat. If they expanded the 3rd floor to make the master suite bigger, with a bigger closet (another flaw- small as it is), bath, and a little more space between the 2 rooms, it would be fantastic.

On a side note: Has anyone had to replace the cabinetry or do any repair work on the cherry wood bathroom cabinets? The newer models only have that nice dark wood in the kitchen and master bath, but a whitepanel wood in the lower floor bathroom cabinets. Its not even an option (which I would gladly pay). I'm just worried about matching the wood and exact style to what is already in the kitchen if I were to go do it myself from Lowes. Can we contact the builder post-sale to use the same materials and doors?</blockquote>

I completely agree. Some guy has been stalking the neighborhood saying his ex-wife in "their home" has been harassed by the association and he is going to sue because they won't let her keep her cat enclosure.

[quote author="Perspective" date=1239149828]I know of two pet cages on balconies in our section. One person has a cat cage attached to the window that allows the cat to go outside. Another has "chicken wire" around the balcony fence to keep a tiny dog from slipping through.

I really don't understand why people buy homes in restrictive areas (with serious CC&Rs;) and then proceed to violate the rules. If you want the freedom, move to a neighborhood that allows it. If you want conformity, as I do, come to Camden Place. You're free to unleash your creative side on the interior.</blockquote>

Crazy! I saw the boxes all around those homes but didn't actually see that they changed to non stainless steel. That sucks

[quote author="Shooby" date=1236817584]From what the saleslady told me, anything in the later phases (13-16) for Plans #2 and #3 won't come with a bathtub period. How accurate this is, i'm not sure since I haven't spoken to anyone that recently moved in.

On another note, the latest phase finishing construction (facing Montgomery) had their appliances installed this week. All of them were non-stainless steel. At least they are still including fridges unlike William Lyon at Cambridge.</blockquote>

We live in Camden Place in Phase 12 we closed escrow right before THanksgiving. In general I like living here. We know most everyone in our phase and really like our neighbors. The next phase, 13 that moved in is very loud. The construction was something that didn't even deter us from buying even though we knew it would last a while longer and you basically just get used to it. The only thing that is really annoying with construction is that there are more bugs and dust but it won't last forever. That and the Roach Coach that has a very loud annoying horn that blows every morning and 8 and afternoon at 12. We are located right by the last phase of construction and can see them prepping the land to start doing the last of the foundation work.

One thing about inconsiderate neighbors is that there is at least one I know of down the street from us who parks both of their cars in guest parking everyday because their garage is literally packed to the door with furniture and other storage. That and people who keep their pets in their garage almost 100% of the time. I hear our neighbors dogs bark all the time walking down the street and also everytime I go downstairs to our den or in our laundry room because the dogs can apparently hear us and they bark incessantly.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1236822156]Does anyone who frequents this thread actually live in Camden Place? What are your impressions? How do they compare with your expectations prior to moving in? Any subjective impressions welcome.</blockquote>

Our closing costs were only 6-7K. Did they allow you to use additional funds to buy down the rate?

[quote author="wolvie3421" date=1233017752]It was actually up to $25k in closing costs and the closing costs for me are around ~$14k.</blockquote>

Guess what. This PLan #2 is selling for 425,000 on redfin now. The renovation they did to the ground floor which was originally the den was i'm sure done without a permit as my neighbor looked into doing the very same thing. The city of Tustin told them absolutely not, they said that they could not put a bathroom in the ground floor and renovate the den into a bed and bath. I hope the people in escrow realize that and don't get screwed because of non-permitted work. It's likely the home inspector they use will not tell them it is not permitted or even realize that the city of Tustin doesn't allow that specific renovation.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1239493291]Oh another note, can you tell from the pictures; how they converted the main floor den to a bedroom?

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/15216-Henry-Way-92782/home/12257320">Plan 2 - 3 Bedroom - 3.5 Bath</a></blockquote>

[quote author="Polarbecca" date=1244272694]Guess what. This PLan #2 is selling for 425,000 on redfin now. The renovation they did to the ground floor which was originally the den was i'm sure done without a permit as my neighbor looked into doing the very same thing. The city of Tustin told them absolutely not, they said that they could not put a bathroom in the ground floor and renovate the den into a bed and bath. I hope the people in escrow realize that and don't get screwed because of non-permitted work. It's likely the home inspector they use will not tell them it is not permitted or even realize that the city of Tustin doesn't allow that specific renovation.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1239493291]Oh another note, can you tell from the pictures; how they converted the main floor den to a bedroom?

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/15216-Henry-Way-92782/home/12257320">Plan 2 - 3 Bedroom - 3.5 Bath</a></blockquote></blockquote>

That is correct. When the building complex has more than 3 attached townhome units the bathroom at the ground level has to be handicap accessible by having an unobstructed 5' diameter circle inside the bathroom for the maneuvering of a wheelchair. The permit will require lengthy governmental review for handicap compliance to the bathroom as well as the extra 18" free space beyond the latch side of front door. The wall that enclosed the ground level bedroom is in serious violation for not providing the 18" free space as well as the bathroom.

TIC is smart to build just triplex as I predicted to be exempted from compliance.

The major conflict is now once the bathroom is in. It is now an official handicap accessible candidate for the entire building. That means the attached neighboring units must be subject to compliance. This is a major code violation and subject to ADA litigation. If the home builder was involved the license would be subject for disciplinary action. An outside contractor knowing conducted the work without permit is also subject to the same offense.

[quote author="Polarbecca" date=1244272694]Guess what. This PLan #2 is selling for 425,000 on redfin now</blockquote>It is a short sale on Redfin

I agree as well. I was told that the new Board members don't believe in enforcing the rules, rather to let homeowners do what they want. I don't understand why we have rules if they are not enforced.

I completely agree. Some guy has been stalking the neighborhood saying his ex-wife in ?their home? has been harassed by the association and he is going to sue because they won?t let her keep her cat enclosure.

Perspective - 07 April 2009 09:17 AM

I know of two pet cages on balconies in our section. One person has a cat cage attached to the window that allows the cat to go outside. Another has ?chicken wire? around the balcony fence to keep a tiny dog from slipping through.

I really don?t understand why people buy homes in restrictive areas (with serious CC&Rs;) and then proceed to violate the rules. If you want the freedom, move to a neighborhood that allows it. If you want conformity, as I do, come to Camden Place. You?re free to unleash your creative side on the interior.

Homeless Newbie

Back