Villages of Columbus - Columbus Square - Camden Place

"...Ya I didnt like not having a bath in the Master but I'm guess people dont take "baths" much anymore..."

Well, the spa tub in Plan 3 was the deal maker for my wife. She uses it at least once per week.

About the cabinet question: We're noticing a little wear on the master bath top drawer. It gets opened and closed so much, I guess it should be expected. It's an easy fix - either some dark wood wax or stain will fix/mask the problem. If my wife would just agree to leave a couple things on the counter, then we wouldn't need to open that drawer so much, but...

I've been meaning to ask those of you who live in Camden; especially those of you who have small children. How much of a pain is it to lug groceries and say a car seat up three flights of stairs? Laundry? I was really thinking one day; since you mostly live in the second floor, you only really climb one flight of stairs to the third floor to sleep. You only go back down to the bottom floor, say to your car if you forgot something if you already settled in for the night. That is the same as living in a two story house, and having to go out to your car parked on the street. At any given time you really only have to negotiate one flight of stairs! But the wife disagrees, yeah; she's the one doing the groceries, laundry and kid.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1238669028]I've been meaning to ask those of you who live in Camden; especially those of you who have small children. How much of a pain is it to lug groceries and say a car seat up three flights of stairs? Laundry? I was really thinking one day; since you mostly live in the second floor, you only really climb one flight of stairs to the third floor to sleep. You only go back down to the bottom floor, say to your car if you forgot something if you already settled in for the night. That is the same as living in a two story house, and having to go out to your car parked on the street. At any given time you really only have to negotiate one flight of stairs! But the wife disagrees, yeah; she's the one doing the groceries, laundry and kid.</blockquote>

I could see the stairs being an issue if you have any sort of health issues limiting you (bad knees, obesity, etc.), or if you're older. You're right about the second floor - we spend 90% of our time there. We look at the stairs this way: we already go to the gym 3 times a week, so why would we be opposed to climbing stairs at home? Carrying in groceries can take a couple trips, especially if you're coming from Costco! We don't have kids, but I'd imagine your biggest concern there would be safety. i.e. It's not the burden of lugging your baby up stairs that's the problem. It's the danger of falling on the stairs with a baby.

Yeah. I walk up 3 flights of stairs right now just to get into my apartment. Camden will be 1 less floor for all of the groceries. The only people who I hear really complain about these things are inherently lazy, overweight, or just looking for something to gripe about.

A guy came by our house yesterday trying to collect signatures for some action against the HOA board about his pet cage on his balcony. My wife signed it, but I heard from another neighbor that the guy doesn't even live in the community. Anyone know anything about this?

[quote author="tkaratz" date=1238981302]A guy came by our house yesterday trying to collect signatures for some action against the HOA board about his pet cage on his balcony. My wife signed it, but I heard from another neighbor that the guy doesn't even live in the community. Anyone know anything about this?</blockquote>

Sounds strange. Also, be on the lookout for high school aged kids claiming to sell magazine subscriptions or newspaper subscriptions (or free trials) for some bogus fund raiser. The local high schools dont do this. This is a classic "casing homes" operation. One came by my apartment a few months ago and I was already suspicious. He claimed to be from Northwood High, but my brother went there and I knew that they didnt fund raise like that. The more I quizzed him, the more his story changed... going from the high school itslef, to a club there, to a club associated with a club there... give me a break. I made sure he knew I suspected something was up, and I was glad I never opened my door all the way to allow him to see inside. I walked around my building shortly thereafter and saw another older guy just smoking in a corner waiting for him to get back.

When in doubt, take the person's picture with your camera phone. If they dont have anything to hide they shouldn't be alarmed. Watch them either (a) not care or (b) freak out and walk away REALLY fast. Either way, chances are they'll find a new neighborhood altogether.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1239066933][quote author="tkaratz" date=1238981302]

When in doubt, take the person's picture with your camera phone. If they dont have anything to hide they shouldn't be alarmed. Watch them either (a) not care or (b) freak out and walk away REALLY fast. Either way, chances are they'll find a new neighborhood altogether.</blockquote>

Thats actually a REALLY good tip, for any neighborhood...

[quote author="tkaratz" date=1238981302]A guy came by our house yesterday trying to collect signatures for some action against the HOA board about his pet cage on his balcony. My wife signed it, but I heard from another neighbor that the guy doesn't even live in the community. Anyone know anything about this?</blockquote>

Yeah, he came by my house too. From what I gather, he doesn't live here, but he was with someone (his girlfriend?) who did live here, and they are being sued by the HOA for having a pet cage for their cat on their balcony.

Is it a large cage? Or is it just where they keep their transportation cage when they're not using it? I cant imagine a cat would be thrilled with a cage just for hanging out.

I know of two pet cages on balconies in our section. One person has a cat cage attached to the window that allows the cat to go outside. Another has "chicken wire" around the balcony fence to keep a tiny dog from slipping through.

I really don't understand why people buy homes in restrictive areas (with serious CC&Rs;) and then proceed to violate the rules. If you want the freedom, move to a neighborhood that allows it. If you want conformity, as I do, come to Camden Place. You're free to unleash your creative side on the interior.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1239066933][quote author="tkaratz" date=1238981302]A guy came by our house yesterday trying to collect signatures for some action against the HOA board about his pet cage on his balcony. My wife signed it, but I heard from another neighbor that the guy doesn't even live in the community. Anyone know anything about this?</blockquote>

Sounds strange. Also, be on the lookout for high school aged kids claiming to sell magazine subscriptions or newspaper subscriptions (or free trials) for some bogus fund raiser. The local high schools dont do this. This is a classic "casing homes" operation. One came by my apartment a few months ago and I was already suspicious. He claimed to be from Northwood High, but my brother went there and I knew that they didnt fund raise like that. The more I quizzed him, the more his story changed... going from the high school itslef, to a club there, to a club associated with a club there... give me a break. I made sure he knew I suspected something was up, and I was glad I never opened my door all the way to allow him to see inside. I walked around my building shortly thereafter and saw another older guy just smoking in a corner waiting for him to get back.

When in doubt, take the person's picture with your camera phone. If they dont have anything to hide they shouldn't be alarmed. Watch them either (a) not care or (b) freak out and walk away REALLY fast. Either way, chances are they'll find a new neighborhood altogether.</blockquote>

my advice is that you should be as polite as possible to these kids. Their magazine subscription scam is more akin to a gang with leaders forcing their foot soldiers to work 12 hour days. Most of these kids are also from the inner city and they have been known to target the homes of residents that had been especially rude to them for theft or vandalism.

That happened to us in Woodbury; the solicitor after being rejected, wanted to come inside and use the telephone! The heck I'm going to let anyone inside! Watch out!

Oh another note, can you tell from the pictures; how they converted the main floor den to a bedroom?

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/15216-Henry-Way-92782/home/12257320">Plan 2 - 3 Bedroom - 3.5 Bath</a>

It's definitely hard to see in the pictures. However it looks like they have spent a pretty penny upgrading the unit. I don't agree on their choice of paint color though.

Anyone have the contact information for the Master Association of Columbus Square? Apparently I need to get the declaration page of my insurance through the HOA and need this to refi.

Thanks.......

you need to contact the sub-association, not the master association for insurance related to your condominium. Keystone Property Management

Back